Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3D tank battle game MadMaks is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/madmaks/id369648863?mt=8).

"Mad Maks is a fun 3D arcade shooting game. As the pilot of your battle vehicle, your need to defend your units and dodge waves of enemy attack in order to deliver your forces to victory!
There are 10 exciting stages with 3 modes of difficulty. You must complete one stage to in order to unlock the next. Once all 10 stages are completed, you can test your skills in Hard mode. Your performance in each stage will decide the number of Bonus Stars awarded which will unlock the Challenge games. Play the Challenge games to hone in your shooting and dodging abilities.
An online multiplayer version and new stages will be available in the future so stay tuned!
Unique features of the game:
• Fast and furious game play
• 10 exciting battle stages, with 3 different difficulty modes
• Rich 3D battle terrain and special effects
• Pilot different battle vehicles against varying enemy units
• 5 Challenge Games"

The comically animated Extreme Hangman is once again available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/extreme-hangman/id313551486?mt=8).

"You’ve never played Hangman like this before! The world’s favorite time-killer game takes an absurd twist of comical proportions. Set in a variety of environments, your mission is to save the Hangman from his enemies by guessing the hidden word correctly. If you guess incorrectly, you put him one step closer to death, which also comes in various forms. As the first networked Hangman game, pit against other players via mobile-to-mobile!

Features:
* First multiplayer Hangman game with a high score board.
* A challenge mode in which you can create a word and have someone near by solve it (local multiplayer feature)
* 6 different settings with Fun Animations
* Over 2,000 words in various categories with 3 difficulty levels"

Aftermath is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day title (http://itunes.apple.com/app/aftermath/id359711977?mt=8).

"Alone in an infested city, you must survive the night using your skills with flashlight, guns and grenades to evade and destroy the city's deadly denizens.

"If you're looking for an atmospheric zombie shooter, this one's an easy recommendation." - Touch Arcade

"Aftermath isn't your average twin-stick zombie shooter, it's almost art." - App Spy

* Illuminate your surroundings with real-time lighting never before seen on iOS.
* Unique intelligent control system designed specifically for iOS devices. Light up your enemies to shoot and choose how to use your grenades wisely.
* Fight through the zombie horde while taking care of cunning Spewers, bullish Screamers and lumbering Fatties.
* Relive the trials and near-escapes of the night as you progress through the story mode.
* Infinite replayability with score-attack challenge levels.
* OpenFeint Enabled - Replay any level to better your score and compete against players around the world.
* Play with headphones to fully experience atmospheric 3D audio."

The tilt-action game Arena Arcade has dropped back down to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/arena-arcade/id376886038?mt=8).

"How long can you survive, in an arena of brutal gladiators, beasts and obstacles? Use tilt control to run and dodge harmful elements. Don’t worry! You can always pick up useful items to get well armed (shield) and powerful (invincible) against them. Can you become the toughest player in this Arena Arcade?"

[quote name='DtotheP']@luisrm

Sean Kovacs confirmed yesterday that GV+ will be free this Saturday night.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation!

Gameloft's Block Breaker Deluxe 2 is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/block-breaker-deluxe-2/id290863578?mt=8).

"Forget everything you know about brick-breaking games and discover the most intuitive, trendy, and technically accomplished take on the well-known arcade classic to date:
- More modes, levels, power-ups, challenges, bosses, and surprises than any game in the genre!
- Dynamic bricks and obstacles, all designed in 3D with next-gen visual effects.
- Use the touch screen to control the pad intuitively and grab bonus items directly as they fall.
- Accelerometer allows you to re-arrange or rotate brick formations by simply tilting the iPhone.
- Infinite replay value thanks to a random level generator in Endless Mode.
- Multi-player mode allowing two people to face off in real-time matches on the same iPhone."

The alien invasion augmented reality game Look-Up is the latest FAAD featured freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/look-up/id372573204?mt=8).

"Look-Up brings the classic alien invasion game theme into the 21st century with an augmented reality twist. You have joined Earth's Resistance Forces to hold back the aliens ships that are attacking our cities, forests, beaches and deserts - wherever you are, they are coming. Space invaders was never this real."

[quote name='Dimsdale']The alien invasion augmented reality game Look-Up is the latest FAAD featured freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/look-up/id372573204?mt=8).

"Look-Up brings the classic alien invasion game theme into the 21st century with an augmented reality twist. You have joined Earth's Resistance Forces to hold back the aliens ships that are attacking our cities, forests, beaches and deserts - wherever you are, they are coming. Space invaders was never this real."[/QUOTE]

I cant find this in the itunes store on my ipod :(

In for Blockbreaker Deluxe 2 and Aftermath, both free and look fun.

Also signed up on Dimsdales faadVIP invite, thanks for posting.

If anyone else needs invites after these listed are all snatched up PM me. It looks good in theory... Buy 10 $.99 games and do reviews to receive a $15 iTunes GC... Battle Bears -1 is the only eligible game so far... More reason to NEVER trust a app store review! :D

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I cant find this in the itunes store on my ipod :([/QUOTE]
I couldn't install this one on my iTouch, either. Turns out Look-Up is only for iPhone 3G or iPhone 4 devices. Boo.

The freemium MMORPG High School Hero is another FAAD featured title right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/high-school-hero/id339419856?mt=8).

"Go to school, get a part-time job and battle other students in a race to become the High School Hero in this fun online multiplayer game!

* Choose from three different character types, each with their own unique bonuses!
* Play with your friends and make new friends to fight your enemies in this fun massively multiplayer online game.
* Buy clothes for your avatar to make them stronger, smarter, and more charming; or just to show off your most stylish outfit!
* Put your popularity on the line and try to become class president, the school mascot, or many other leadership positions for even more bonuses!
* Earn achievements by improving your hero, battling others, and winning leadership positions!"

From the folks who gave us everyone's favorite interconnected word game comes the tongue-in-cheek Words with Pirates, available for FREE during its limited release (http://itunes.apple.com/app/words-with-pirates/id393624931?mt=8#).

"Avast, all ye landlubbers! This here be Words with Pirates - the most piratey game ever to sail o'er the seven seas! This here gem will only last for a limited time while we celebrate our national pirate holiday, so get it now!

Enjoy a duel of wits against your mates as you play your marks to form dastardly words. Score the most points or walk the plank!
Simple pick up and play gameplay!
Duel up to 20 pirates at a time online or via pass and play!
Push notifications for when it's your turn!
Parlay with your mates as you play!
From the creators of the smash hit Words with Friends!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Gameloft's Block Breaker Deluxe 2 is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/block-breaker-deluxe-2/id290863578?mt=8).

"Forget everything you know about brick-breaking games and discover the most intuitive, trendy, and technically accomplished take on the well-known arcade classic to date:
- More modes, levels, power-ups, challenges, bosses, and surprises than any game in the genre!
- Dynamic bricks and obstacles, all designed in 3D with next-gen visual effects.
- Use the touch screen to control the pad intuitively and grab bonus items directly as they fall.
- Accelerometer allows you to re-arrange or rotate brick formations by simply tilting the iPhone.
- Infinite replay value thanks to a random level generator in Endless Mode.
- Multi-player mode allowing two people to face off in real-time matches on the same iPhone."[/QUOTE]

Oh man, i had this game on my old sony ericssion S500... i love it!

thanks for the post!

The puzzler Tomb of Qin is today's Free App Calendar offering (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=378).

"What is Tomb of Qin?
Tomb of Qin is a puzzle game from old China.

People who want to get into the tomb should settle up not only the dangerous traps but also guardians in the tomb. It is not easy for all of us, but I believe you could make through.

How to Play:
  • Just put your finger on the guardian and tap it to any directions, it can change their path.
  • When you finish the setup, pull the lever at the left corner to activate the whole system.
  • Guardians will go forward until they meet something or hit a wall.
  • There are obstacles to the treasure finders, so if you want to pass, the only way is let them crash together, or use other traps to destroy them."

Signed up for FAADVip via Dimms' invite code - thanks Dimms. I'll probably just review apps that I happen to have, as opposed to buying an app to review it. I'd like to hear if anyone actually receives a gift card or not.

There is a series of 8 mini puzzle games from the PC title "Kellie Stanford: Turn of Fate" that are available for FREE right now to play on your iDevice:

• Stone maze
    Rating:3.00 (238)
  • Put pieces of intricate pattern in correct order: jaws of idols must be joined with sinuous lines. Hint: start to solve moving from above. The game "Stone Maze" is one out of 8 mini...
  • Switch The Frogs
    Rating:3.00 (324)
  • You will surely like this simple mini game. There are frogs sitting on nice reed flute. Tap on the frogs to scare them away! Red frogs should go on the left, blue - on the right.
  • Catch the virus
    Rating:3.00 (494)
  • Virus attacked the navigation system of your bathyscaph and moves to the limits of playing screen. Don't let it to escape to operating system. You have to catch the Virus by tapping on the cells to...
  • Wires Puzzle
    Rating:3.00 (251)
  • Nothing can be worse than broken coffee machine when you want a cup of a strong black coffee! Arm yourself with patience. Fix the coffee machine by placing the parts in the correct order. Pay...
  • Coins Game
    Rating:3.00 (216)
  • The object of Coins Game seems pretty simple. Place the coins in a specific manner, so that no similar coins are in the same row, column or diagonal.
  • Match Signs
    oRating:3.00 (145)
  • Your goal is to arrange the stone tiles so that all of the adjacent symbols are matched. The game "Match Signs" is one out of 8 mini puzzles for iPhone created after "Kellie Stanford:...
  • Drop 4
    Rating:3.50 (92)
  • Well-known puzzle "Four in a row" is a plain game, where each player has to drop chips in the vertical rows trying to make up a line before an opponent does. You play for Kellie - charming...
  • Gears Puzzle
    Rating:2.50 (417)
  • This time Kellie has to start up an odd gear. It doesn't work because somebody has relocated all cogs. Place the cogs according to the picture. You have only 7 moves to do so.

[quote name='kapkorn']If anyone could send me a FAADVip invite I'd really appreciate it, thanks![/QUOTE]
PM Sent.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Block Breaker Deluxe 2 is the only breakout game you'll ever need.[/QUOTE]

So sad, paid 99c for this last week :(

[quote name='RollingSkull']Block Breaker Deluxe 2 is the only breakout game you'll ever need.[/QUOTE]

yup, its a good game. i paid $2 or $3 for it when i first got my iphone a couple of years ago.

So it looks like because of that FAADVIP site, I'll be downloading *every* free game posted here in hopes that it one day gets listed on the site for review... hmm. Yeah.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but if you have a big change container sitting around, this might be right up your alley:

Coinstar is giving a free $10 iTunes gift card to people who cash-in $40 worth of change at their machines through September 30th. The only catch is that you have to turn your $40 in coins into an iTunes gift card in order to qualify for the bonus. So really, you're getting $50 iTunes credit for $40. Not an amazing deal, but it's pretty good if you're looking to unload some change and plan on spending $40 on iTunes apps/music in the future.

Here's a link to the details:
http://www.coinstar.com/US/html/itunes

I doubt I have $40 in change but I suppose you could get $40 in quarters from the bank. No fee if you get an iTunes card, right?

I was thinking of buying the Tom-Tom app anyway....

Yeah, no fees for turning the money into a gift card at Coinstar so you could potentially get $40 worth of quarters, dump 'em in and get $50 worth of iTunes credit in return without much fuss.

I believe the bonus $10 card gets sent to you in the mail while your $40 iTunes card for your change is an immediate transaction.

[quote name='aaronmills']Yeah, no fees for turning the money into a gift card at Coinstar so you could potentially get $40 worth of quarters, dump 'em in and get $50 worth of iTunes credit in return without much fuss.

I believe the bonus $10 card gets sent to you in the mail while your $40 iTunes card for your change is an immediate transaction.[/QUOTE]

That's correct, but at least they say 2 to 3 weeks for delivery, which is a lot better then most rebates, and you just enter the redemption code on your receipt online, so no maililng anything in. I think I'm going to do it. Might even do it twice. As far as I can tell, there is no restriction on how many times you can do it. It only says one per redemption code, which rather makes sense!

Re: gamer tags ... I'm 'Smaxor' everywhere (game center, open feint, plus, argon, words with friends, etc.), feel free to add me.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']So it looks like because of that FAADVIP site, I'll be downloading *every* free game posted here in hopes that it one day gets listed on the site for review... hmm. Yeah.[/QUOTE]

So if we happen to have it from a free giveaway, we still get the 150 pts just to redownload/install and review it?

[quote name='Smaxor']eBoy FixPix dropped from $2 to $1 (first drop since release):

http://appshopper.com/games/eboy-fixpix

I think I'll bite at that, even if it's really short. I love his art style. I ended up buying Beat It just for the art even though I'm not a big fan of the game.[/QUOTE]

They also added 50 more puzzles and they're much harder. It's worth a buck for the cool art style.

[quote name='darknight88']So if we happen to have it from a free giveaway, we still get the 150 pts just to redownload/install and review it?[/QUOTE]

No idea... kinda sucks that there's only 1 game available to review at the moment.

I honestly can't see this being a viable model for too long (but I signed up during the open sign-up period).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back