Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded Bit.Trip Beat last night - so far I'm enjoying it! I almost bought it last weekend when it was $1.99, but glad I waited. Debating whether or not I want to pick up the DLC while it's still $0.99 - any thoughts on whether it's worth it?

[quote name='Dimsdale']That PopCap stalwart Bejeweled 2 has dropped to .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bejeweled-2-blitz/id284832142?mt=8).

"The world's #1 puzzle game is one of the top paid apps of all time. Match multiple gems for dazzling, high-carat fun. And face-off with your friends on Facebook in the electrifying Bejeweled® Blitz!"[/QUOTE]
Been waiting for a drop on that forever. Thanks for the heads up. Surprised I didn't get an email about it from AppShopper.

Awesome deal on Bejeweled.
The Blitz part alone is worth $5 to me.
They even charge PC owners $20 separate for it.
I wish they would spend some of the resources for a dedicated iPad version.

Labyrinth Game is finally, officially FREE for a limited time as it's being featured on FAAD, too (http://itunes.apple.com/app/labyrinth-game/id379818847?mt=8).

"Classic labyrinth game where you control the ball while avoiding holes and traps to reach the destination.

50 Gorgeous looking levels with challenging puzzles to solve.

Features:
50 beautiful Levels.
Realistic Physics.
Open Feint enabled.
Achievements to unlock.
Publish Score to Facebook & Twitter"

[quote name='Malik112099']After switching gyroscope controls on I can't recommend Modern Combat 2 enough. This game is crazy good.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, I think you're just hyped into it. It will die down, eventually. The app is nothing special.

In for Bejeweled. Still contemplating Cut The Rope. Also, did anyone buy any add-on levels for Bit.Trip Beat? I'm still stuck on the second built-in level (though getting a touch further each time) and am wondering if the add-on levels require you to beat the three built-in levels. Also how they compare in difficulty. I like the game a lot, but it is damned difficult.

[quote name='crunchewy']In for Bejeweled. Still contemplating Cut The Rope. Also, did anyone buy any add-on levels for Bit.Trip Beat? I'm still stuck on the second built-in level (though getting a touch further each time) and am wondering if the add-on levels require you to beat the three built-in levels. Also how they compare in difficulty. I like the game a lot, but it is damned difficult.[/QUOTE]
I purchased them a few days ago while they went on sale (not sure if they still are) for $.99. One: You don't need to beat the built-in levels to play them. Two: I haven't played the game that much to speak on difficulty, but the new levels seem to be a bit more difficult right off the start. EDIT: And I forgot to mention this - which seems important - but if you enjoy the built-in levels, the DLC is definitely worth it... especially if it's still $.99.

Decided to buy the add-on levels for Bit.Trip. FYI, there is only one level pack, which has the three listed levels. Those are levels, not 3 different level packs!

[quote name='mkernan']I mentioned this a page or two ago. Shortly after, the developer himself came in and posted about it too. I'm surprised nobody has chimed in about it, considering the high praise I've heard about it. I went ahead and bought it, but still haven't had time to play it.

They claim it is a 24-hour sale, but I'm pretty sure its already been 24 hours, so jump now if interested.

Also, at the bottom of their website (http://nimblestrong.com), the dev mentions that if you email in your receipt, he'll buy you a 99 cent game of your choice.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for this one. I forwarded the dev my receipt email and less than 24 hours he responded. He said his iTunes was a bit wonky so he sent me $1 via PayPal instead of a gift app.

[quote name='Dimsdale']For some reason the complete novels of Stieg Larsson are contained in ACT The Millennium Trilogy for FREE right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/act-the-millennium-trilogy/id388947430?mt=8). From what I can tell, it's the complete text of all three novels in a handy little e-reader. It's not the slickest interface I've ever seen (I prefer Stanza), but it's still highly usable and you get three great books in the bargain as well.

EDIT: By the way, the Millennium Trilogy is comprised of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. You may have heard of them individually without them being referenced as the Millennium Trilogy. Didn't want to assume anything.[/QUOTE]

Would have liked this but says it's not available in the U.S. when I click the link. Only thing I could find searching was the Mellenium Trilogy audio book for like $77.

[quote name='DtotheP']You all probably know by now but limera1n is out now.[/QUOTE]

Can someone list out the top 3 reasons to jb? I understand the getting full control of your device angle, but on a touch i'm not trying to rid myself of att either.

Modern Combat 2 is incredible. The single player is very cinematic unlike most portable shooters which are usually go from point A to B and kill the enemies. I've played about 3-4 hours of the multiplayer too and it is a lot of fun, though it does reset everything when you leave the game. The gyroscope are by far the best way to go. It takes a little while to get used to it but is very rewarding and fun.

[quote name='Malik112099']Nothing is reset when you leave multiplayer. You have a persistent character which gains levels and unlocks weapons/kill signatures.[/QUOTE]

There is a well known glitch. Everytime I leave the game I go back to level 1, no games played, no kills, and so forth. Once they fix it it will be incredible though.

i guess that bejeweled sale is for the 10th anniversary. popcap is giving the desktop version away for free today only as well, ends 10pm pst.

[quote name='DtotheP']i guess that bejeweled sale is for the 10th anniversary. popcap is giving the desktop version away for free today only as well, ends 10pm pst.[/QUOTE]
Thanks very much for this. Oddly enough, I don't ever play games on my Mac; I just use one of the consoles or portables we have in the house. Mostly, I play games on my iPod Touch. Anyway, I snagged this one without hesitation. I loves me the thought of some PopCap on my widescreen, hi-def monitor right here. Thanks again!

The latest FAAD featured freebie is the highly worthwhile Chain Link Pro (http://itunes.apple.com/app/chain-link-pro/id362278797?mt=8).

"With no complex controls to learn or buttons to press, CHAIN LINK PRO only requires one finger to play. Touch and drag an assortment of shapes across the screen to chain them with other similar shapes and send them into the pulsating vortex to score. The longer the chain the more points awarded but long chains risk colliding with foreign shapes which will destroy the chain and potentially end the game. With four degrees of difficulty, players of any age can enjoy this game."

[quote name='awp']Would have liked this but says it's not available in the U.S. when I click the link. Only thing I could find searching was the Mellenium Trilogy audio book for like $77.[/QUOTE]
I think they pulled the ACT app because it probably was an infringement of Larsson's estate's rights (as someone mentioned earlier). There's no other logical explanation for having roughly $60 worth of best-seller content available for free in a crappy little e-reader. That being said, I'm glad I snagged a copy so I can get started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest while I wait for the paperback version to be published.

If I'm on an iPod Touch 2nd gen (I never bothered to upgrade), would I still enjoy Modern Combat 2? I've heard so much about how awesome the Gyro controls are...Since my device isn't Gyro capable, will I still enjoy it?

Bejeweld 2 + Blitz is definitely worth picking up for 99 cents. Blitz is great and it links with Facebook, so you can see your Facebook friends score for the week.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I'd rather you use the appshopper links so we can see the price history. Besides, it loads much faster.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, though if you have Safari, you can install this extension to prevent iTunes from launching automatically. I can't live without it at this point. There's a way to do this with Firefox too, but I can't remember. Some setting you have to change or something. Anyway:

http://einserver.de/nomoreitunes/

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I'd rather you use the appshopper links so we can see the price history. Besides, it loads much faster.[/QUOTE]

Or you can just shut up and be happy people are posting deals.

[quote name='cycophuk']Or you can just shut up and be happy people are posting deals.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to need you to use bold and italics when you put bitches in they place. Thanks for your support.

I'm trying to purchase Peggle Nights in the app and it gives me an Error message saying "Cannot connect to iTunes store." I'm connected via wifi so I'm not sure why it's not working.

EDIT: So it finally let me through and told me to just verify my billing info but it won't accept it. Maybe because I'm now using a debit card?

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason we post iTunes links is so cheapyD gets a little cash thrown in the the hat from the referral links to keep CAG going, otherwise it's like using CAG to earn referral money for appshopper.

[quote name='Hostile']Any opinions on Tehra Dark Warrior and Pro Zombie Soccer? Love AppShopper e-mails.[/QUOTE]
Tehra was reviewed as TOO HARD, which could mean that it is difficult or could mean that it just isn't well designed. Still bought it.

Pro Zombie Soccer is good fun. Aim and shoot a soccer ball at advancing zombies. I enjoyed it a lot. Liked the music, same folks that did Wheelman's soundtrack. of course, it's busy as heck and not everyone will have the same love for that music that I did.

[quote name='Hostile']I hate opening iTunes and I never purchase through it on my desktop.[/QUOTE]

Same here. iTunes is an very bad program, it's a resource hog and it continuously stalls on PC. I usually buy stuff on my phone and try not to use iTunes as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back