Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SaraAB']Ok, I just got my iPod yesterday. I know I asked about texting here before but it seems you can't text unless you have a cell phone number to receive messages through (or at least you can't receive reply's to your messages). Which kind of defeats the point of free texting since you would have to pay for a cell phone.

I assume if i put a cell phone number into one of these apps like text free that there would be some sort of charge on the phone bill in addition to what is already paid.

So my question is, is there an app that definitely lets you text and receive messages over wifi without having to put in a cell phone number?[/QUOTE]

You can try Textplus 4.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textplus-4-free-text-pic-messaging/id385384781?mt=8

[quote name='mvp828']TextPlus allows you to text without having a phone number.[/QUOTE]

And Google Voice, which we now have some clients for and the official Google Voice app soon (or is it out now? I haven't checked.) The downside to all these freebie non-cell text things is that you can't send text messages to special numbers, such as ones used for contests and such. But if what you want is to text you friends/family, they fit the bill fine.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Not a big fan of R-Type. It's a solid port of an okay shmup but R-Type 1 and 2 for XBLA is better for the retro graphics switch, the level select, the bundle of both games, and the optional "infinite lives but you're scored on winning with as few deaths as possible" mode, which I rather like, a lot better than a brutal 8-bit era rage fest dropped onto my Iphone touch screen.[/QUOTE]

It is not easy to carry your 360 with you everywhere. Also, when playing R-Type, set it to *not* be scaled up. This gives you a bit of screen to move your finger on that isn't on the playing area. It's not as much as in the Cave shooters, but it's something. Lastly, R-Type on the iPhone is easier then R-Type on the 360. I bought the 360 version because of playing R-Type on my iPhone, and I like it a lot, but I can't get as far in the 360 version. Which is not the same as saying that I've completed either, which I haven't. Not even close.

Also, for old school shooters (meaning like Galaga, Galaxians, etc), check out Warblade. It's a fun little game. I got it free. Not sure if it's still free or not.

[quote name='javeryh']Cut the Rope is easily the best game I've played on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

What am I missing here? I didn't like Angry Birds, and while this is better, it's still not great. I feel like I'm missing something huge, not liking these "awesome" games that everyone else seems to love.

[quote name='jjz203'] Latest Openfeint free game of the day is a build-a-city game ironcally called Build-A-Lot

http://itunes.apple.com/app/build-a-...309458379?mt=8[/Quote]

Good game. Get's a little frustrating trying to get excellent on some levels, but over all I really enjoyed it. At least what I played of it.

[quote name='crunchewy']And Google Voice, which we now have some clients for and the official Google Voice app soon (or is it out now? I haven't checked.) The downside to all these freebie non-cell text things is that you can't send text messages to special numbers, such as ones used for contests and such. But if what you want is to text you friends/family, they fit the bill fine.[/QUOTE]

I tried to sign up for google voice, it requires you to put in a phone number as well. You have to route calls to whatever number you put in. I don't want my home phone number constantly buzzing with calls, I live with my parents and it will drive them insane.

Textfree requires you to put in a cell phone number to receive reply's or the person who is replying has to use the textfree app which obviously isn't practical in most situations. At least that is how I understand it. I assume there will be charges if you input a phone number. Kinda pointless if the person you are texting can't text you back. Textfree is really misleading, since it requires a real cell phone number for reply's (unless I just don't understand how it works). Maybe I am just one of the 10 people left in the USA who doesn't have a cell phone because I don't want to pay for it.

If I send a text with textplus, how does the person reply, since I don't think there is a phone number?

I also want VOIP, but it doesn't look like there is any way to make a call without inputting a phone number. Whistle sounded great but it requires a real phone number.

[quote name='SaraAB']If I send a text with textplus, how does the person reply, since I don't think there is a phone number?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, SMS is a phone technology, so you're not going to be able to receive messages in a real "text message" form without a phone number. That being said, at least some phones (every one I've had could do this, but I hesitate to say "all" or even "most" without knowing for certain) will allow users to enter an email address rather than a phone number for a contact, and send an SMS there. So your friends could send you "text messages" which you would receive to your email.

Otherwise . . . um, there's always AIM or whatever, I guess?

Edit: Just looked at Textfree, and it says that it gives you a number, not that you have to provide one. Maybe there's just an option somewhere that you missed?

[quote name='SaraAB']I also want VOIP, but it doesn't look like there is any way to make a call without inputting a phone number. Whistle sounded great but it requires a real phone number.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Skype?

Textplus shows up as a long number... They just reply and it will go back to you. I have been using it since it first cane out.

[quote name='RollingSkull']You want Dodonpachi, Espgaluda 2, and either Space Invaders Infinity Gene or rRootage. SIIG is better on XBLA if you can get it but it's still good on phone.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ViolentLee']I'd say one of the Cave-developed games -- either DoDonPachi or Espgaluda II -- is a must-have. Expect to pay $9 for one of them, but they're the highest quality.
Second, I'd go with Icarus-X for 3D shmup fun.
To round things out, maybe the free Space Deadbeef for a horizontal take on shmups.
That way, you'd have a good variety.

If you're new to iPhone gaming, I suggest you put together a wishlist on Appshopper, and put any shmups that interest you on your wishlist. That way, when they drop in price, you'll get immediate notification.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your recommendations. I'll check them out.

Appshopper seems pretty neat. Hooray for a new method to spend too much money on games!

[quote name='INCyr']What am I missing here? I didn't like Angry Birds, and while this is better, it's still not great. I feel like I'm missing something huge, not liking these "awesome" games that everyone else seems to love.[/QUOTE]
I personally feel the best iPhone games are those you can spend a minute or an hour with. You can be watching TV, talking to someone, or whatever, but they still require a modicum of strategy/attention.

Cut the Rope and Angry Birds aren't my all-time favorite iPhone games, but they definitely fit that criteria.

[quote name='INCyr']What am I missing here? I didn't like Angry Birds, and while this is better, it's still not great. I feel like I'm missing something huge, not liking these "awesome" games that everyone else seems to love.
[/QUOTE]
I agree completely. I hated Angry Birds for how imprecise it was.

Still, Cut the Rope is a unique puzzler that I enjoy in short bursts, but I've got like 8 gb of apps so I alternate a lot.

[quote name='INCyr']What am I missing here? I didn't like Angry Birds, and while this is better, it's still not great. I feel like I'm missing something huge, not liking these "awesome" games that everyone else seems to love.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I downloaded the demo and was underwhelmed. It was neat, but it got old fast and I never had any desire to pick it back up. Then again, I'm addicited to Pocket Frogs, so that may say something about my tastes.

[quote name='SaraAB']Which kind of defeats the point of free texting since you would have to pay for a cell phone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but even with a cell phone, you have to pay for text messages. So it's still a boon to have software that lets you do this for free.

[quote name='allyourblood']Yeah, but even with a cell phone, you have to pay for text messages. So it's still a boon to have software that lets you do this for free.[/QUOTE]
This is true. Also, some people don't want to use SMS as they are easily recoverable. BBM and WhatsApp (cross platform) are nice at what they do w/o using a traditional instant messenger client.

[quote name='SaraAB']

Textfree requires you to put in a cell phone number to receive reply's or the person who is replying has to use the textfree app which obviously isn't practical in most situations. If I send a text with textplus, how does the person reply, since I don't think there is a phone number?[/QUOTE]

I have tried a few of the texting apps but I now solely use textnow by enflick. You get an actual mobile number to use which is awesome compared to other choices that I stopped using cause they would send extra texts to explain how to reply and my friends hated getting two txts when i would only send a few words such as textfree did when I last tried it. Textnow just works great, has many features such as picture txts and is free! It has ads built-in but for free and getting a number that friends can txt to rather than a complicated email and such is amazing! The app runs fast and the ads don't interfere or slow things down. With enflick being US based they only offer us numbers so I picked and idaho number since I lived there before. I am currently in Canada going to school and it works great here, so it should work anywhere just warn your friends that its a US number and to look into if it cost anything extra to send with their cells txt plan.

[quote name='Hostile']What's the word on SEED 2? It's $1.[/QUOTE]

I bought both Zenonia 2 and Seed 2 and tried both and decided to focus on passing Seed 2 first. I have spent over fifteen hours with Seed 2 and it has been great! It was starting to act boggy where the game would often pause for a moment while walking and fighting. I thought it was a game related bug but my itouch 3rdgen was getting full and I deleted a 1gb app and the next time I played the game ran perfectly! So for the amount of fun game time and with only being a 1/4 of the way through, a buck is a steal!!!

Another tower defense game, SillyBunnies has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sillybunnies/id395469362?mt=8).

"This is a full on war, get rid of the silly bunnies plaguing your lands!

To defend his homeland, the Scarecrow hero uses his enchanted carrot staff, summoning towers, and casting magic spells, to get rid of the never ending stream of silly bunnies.

Features:
+ 9 towers with unique offensive abilities
+ Each tower is upgradeable 3 times. When fully upgraded, the towers have special abilities: freeze enemies, double damage, multi shot, etc.
+ Cute little bunnies that you can't help to kill them!
+ 6 types of land bunnies, and 3 types of flying bunnies
+ 3 types of boss bunnies, each with unique abilities.
+ 7 levels, 3 difficulty settings, 2 different game modes
+ Player controlled hero the scarecrow. Draw path on screen to move hero, as he automatically attacks any enemies in range
+ Eight types of hero skills to learn, as each level is completed, you may continually upgrade your hero skills."

I anyone else having trouble getting into Modern Combat 2. I was playing online then the screen went blank. I close out of the app and now when I go back into it I can't get it to load up.

I'm curious as to what your suggestions for games would be. I have been EXTREMELY underwhelmed with iPhone gaming. The best ones to me so far are Cut the Rope, Bejeweled, Peggle and Bookworm. Granted, I haven't paid mre than $3 for anything yet but I'm afraid to unless there is a demo. I didn't buy Cut the Rope until playing the demo and it was a no-brainer for $1. I won't ever do a marathon session on the iPhone so it would have to be something that can be played in short bursts and that the touch controls are precise (and work). I also won't play anything with a d-pad and buttons - that makes me nuts on the touch screen.

The Halloween edition of the puzzler HourClash has dropped back down to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hourclash-halloween-edition/id394316761?mt=8).

"HourClash- Halloween Edition is a super spooky, yet addictive puzzle game that will entertain even the most demanding and avid puzzle gamer. You must match balls of little zombies, frankensteins, ghosts and many other despicable monsters before time runs out!

HourClash runs great on all iOS version but is optimized for iOS 4.0 & 4.1"

++

My daughter absolutely loves Angry Birds, but needs help getting through a bunch of the levels. I tried it, and thought the charm wore off exceedingly quick. Same thing for Cut the Rope.

There have been a few games which have really stood out among the ton of crap:

Espgaluda II
Across Age (you don't need the DX version, the original plays just fine)
The Creeps
Carcassonne (spelling?)

Casual gaming is good for a few, but just doesn't cut it for me.

Neuroshima Hex has dropped from $2.99 to $1.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neuroshima-hex/id391297152?mt=8)

"Neuroshima Hex is a fast paced, tactical board game where up to 4 players (human or AI) lead their troops to victory. Every player controls one of the four armies struggling for influence and survival in the world destroyed in a 30 years long war. March with the machines of Moloch, leading its army towards setting the new world order. Become Borgo and unite the forces of the mutants who spread terror in the wastelands. Lead The Outpost - humanity's last and only hope and try to beat the machines in an uneven guerrilla war. Be the boss of The Hegemony - land of gangers not caring about the fate of others and living only for violence and their mad entertainment."

[quote name='allyourblood']Yeah, but even with a cell phone, you have to pay for text messages. So it's still a boon to have software that lets you do this for free.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, texting is expensive on a cell phone and doesn't use much data, the carriers are overcharging simply because people will pay it, so to have texting for free is a big plus. I am not a big fan of the cost of cell phones, which is why I don't have my own, plus I have no one to call, so its kinda pointless for me. It would just sit unused. I do have a cheap cell phone that my mom and I share for emergencies, because you do have to have one for emergencies.

I didn't mind paying for the cost of the iPod, I had a whole bunch of gift cards plus I bought it at amazon, plus it has a video camera and a still camera which means I won't ever have to buy a flip video again, saving me lots of money.

The iPod games are good so far for what I played of them since I have been messing around with apps I haven't played too many. I played a game called sushi cat and enjoyed it.

A very polished match-3 game, The Crystals of Atlantis Deluxe is once again available for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-crystals-atlantis-deluxe/id358284672?mt=8).

"The Crystals of Atlantis – a match-three game with vivid graphics, unique gameplay and a compelling adventure back-story. Take on the role of a young, intrepid archaeologist working against the clock in a desperate bid to find four crystals to solve the mystery of Atlantis.

Game modes:
- Adventure mode: travel through the game world, taking part in the excavation of ancient treasure, hot on the trail of clues leading you ever closer to solving the mystery of Atlantis.
- Free play: enjoy a quick match 3 game in the location of your choice and at a difficulty level to suit."

ZombieKiller Ultimate is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombiekiller-ultimate/id375942759?mt=8).

"This is a brand new game that you’ve never seen or experienced before.
Explore the zombie infested world and survive! You are the chosen one to be the best zombie killer. Don’t wait! If you think you are the best killer, give it a shot! However, you’ve got to remember that it won’t be easy to beat them…

Zombie Killer’ is a First Person Shooter (FPS) with cartoon style graphics, realistic shooting feeling, simple controls and incredible sound effects. You will be amazed by this shooting game."

A couple weeks ago I asked if there were any good shooting gallery type games on the appstore and someone replied but I forgot what the name of the game was.

it was $4.99 or $2.99 I think.

any ideas ?

EDIT: nevermind I found it , it is called "Wild West Guns"

Continuing the zombie theme, the latest FAAD feature is N.Y.Zombies (http://itunes.apple.com/app/n-y-zombies/id366197996?mt=8).

"New York City is in ruins, the streets are filled with zombies, and it's up to you to fight your way out and find safety. Blow away zombies with an incredible arsenal of weaponry in a stunning variety of locations including the streets of New York City, underground subways, abandoned highways, rural farmlands, broken down suburbs, mountain caves, and more! Or, try your hand at endless mode, and see how long you can survive -- make sure to submit your score to the global online leader board!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Continuing the zombie theme, the latest FAAD feature is N.Y.Zombies (http://itunes.apple.com/app/n-y-zombies/id366197996?mt=8).

"New York City is in ruins, the streets are filled with zombies, and it's up to you to fight your way out and find safety. Blow away zombies with an incredible arsenal of weaponry in a stunning variety of locations including the streets of New York City, underground subways, abandoned highways, rural farmlands, broken down suburbs, mountain caves, and more! Or, try your hand at endless mode, and see how long you can survive -- make sure to submit your score to the global online leader board!"[/QUOTE]

.99 on my end

Rogue Planet is now 0.99 for the first time ever (it was free for 2 hrs in May, but I failed to get it then) for all TBS fans. I've heard it was quite good, and now I'll get the chance to find out...

[quote name='Dra']Rogue Planet is now 0.99 for the first time ever (it was free for 2 hrs in May, but I failed to get it then) for all TBS fans. I've heard it was quite good, and now I'll get the chance to find out...[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed it, and I generally hate turn based strategy games. It's on the simple side for a TBS, maybe that's why I liked it; Granted, I didn't pay anything for it either.

Google voice + some number that you have access to + do not disturb set to on = free texting on your iPod. You just need access to that number once to get it all set up.

Thanks once again for all the texting tips

I am looking for a good news app, anyone got any recommendations.

I also bought boggle and crash bandicoot nitro kart 2 (which is 1.99 now instead of 4.99) both are worth it, especially for .99 and 1.99. Crash bandicoot gives you lots of stuff to do.

^ Picross 3D is awesome! I'm a sucker for all Picross games, honestly. I hear Pixelogic is the best, but it's been $2.99 practically all year. I still haven't beaten the decent Crosslogic Ultra, which is no longer in the iTune store.

Have you tried PathPix? It's a great take on Picross, just different enough to be interesting. I was gushing about it on here a few months back. It's $1.99, and NEVER goes on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back