Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PrarieD0G']Anyone have an opinion on SimCity Deluxe? I haven't played any of the SimCity games yet...[/QUOTE]

Seconded. I'm interested in getting it, but it's been decades since I last played a SimCity game, and if I do get this, it needs to be accessible to a new player who has no clue what they're doing.

That being said, I'm really tempted at that price.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Anyone have an opinion on SimCity Deluxe? I haven't played any of the SimCity games yet...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind an opinion or two, either. Very tempting, but EA doesn't have a very good track record for updating their games, and there are a lot of reviews noting how often it crashes. I can live without retina support, but if it crashes every five minutes it probably isn't worth paying for. I may just wait for the 'SuperDeluxe' version to come along with any needed improvements (and a $7 price tag).

[quote name='INCyr']Seconded. I'm interested in getting it, but it's been decades since I last played a SimCity game, and if I do get this, it needs to be accessible to a new player who has no clue what they're doing.

That being said, I'm really tempted at that price.[/QUOTE]

I jumped on it, figure for 99c it's worth the gamble. I love games like Kaloki Love/Build-A-Lot, to have the actual granddaddy of such games for such a cheap price is cool!

Free App Calendar is featuring 4S Bounce Ball today (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id393295319?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4).

"4S Bounce Ball is easy-operated, very addictive casual game. You should tilt you iPhone to control four side bars to maintain the ball in the screen. You could get more fun from the props available.
Feature:
Six kinds of prop;
Openfeint leaderboard and achievements;
You could share your achievements through E-mail;
You could find more friends through social networking;"

What's the difference between SimCity (which doesn't appear to be in the app store anymore) and SimCity Deluxe?

Deleted Pocket Frogs today. Got to Level 21 and there is nothing new. I had hoped level 20 was going to be the end but it just keeps on going. This game took way too much of my time to do such a mindless thing.

I had about 60 games (5 folders worth) of freebies that I've downloaded via recommendations here. Last night, I finally got around to playing about 5 minutes worth of each --- and deleted half of them. Now I know why they were free. :)

But, it does raise a point where in an app world, you probably have about 30 seconds to really capture someone's attention before you get deleted.

[quote name='GenPirate']How long is it free for? I love these kinds of games and I get my iPod Touch in 6 days.[/QUOTE]

Can't you just install iTunes and "buy" it for the free price now? It stores apps on your computer and then transfers them to your iPod Touch already.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I had about 60 games (5 folders worth) of freebies that I've downloaded via recommendations here. Last night, I finally got around to playing about 5 minutes worth of each --- and deleted half of them. Now I know why they were free. :)

But, it does raise a point where in an app world, you probably have about 30 seconds to really capture someone's attention before you get deleted.[/QUOTE]

That's why I usually only download the "rarely drop to free" games... because if the game can stand as a charged game for so long, then it must have something above its competition. :)

Also, I have a dislike for games that flip flops every week or two. It's like a cheap method to get tagged onto the front page of sites like appshopper.com.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Can't you just install iTunes and "buy" it for the free price now? It stores apps on your computer and then transfers them to your iPod Touch already.[/QUOTE]

My laptop broke and I cannot install anything on the computer I am using so I planned on using Copytrans Manager to put music on it when I got it (it's a portable app). I was going to use the App Store on the iPod for actual app obtaining. I suppose I could temporarily install it but if I could avoid that by knowing when that app creators sale was going to end that would be the best course of action.

[quote name='GenPirate']My laptop broke and I cannot install anything on the computer I am using so I planned on using Copytrans Manager to put music on it when I got it (it's a portable app). I was going to use the App Store on the iPod for actual app obtaining. I suppose I could temporarily install it but if I could avoid that by knowing when that app creators sale was going to end that would be the best course of action.[/QUOTE]

Just find a friend with itunes or an ipod/iphone and sign in with your account and "purchase" it for now so at least when you get your new ipod it will recognize that you've already purchased it and you can redownload it for free! Problem solved.

Archon:Conquest is FREE until the end of the month (http://itunes.apple.com/app/archon-conquest/id331383905?mt=8).
"In this game, you have several campaigns to play through, using the Light and Dark teams. Each campaign features 15 quests for a total of 60 to play through! Each one is unique with different enemies to fight, puzzles to solve and medals to win!

Involve yourself in an immersive storyline as you try to maintain the balance of the world caught between the forces of Light and Dark. Are you the chosen one, the savior, the Archon who was prophesied to come?"

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 has dropped to .99 for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-evolution-soccer-2010-us/id377098187?mt=8).
"You make the moment - The champion of football video games has finally arrived on iPhone and iPod touch! Immerse yourself in unprecedented football atmosphere and the true PES experience with PES 2010."

Anyone tried any games that resemble space trader for the palm? I liked that game a lot. Doesn't have to be a space setting just a similar type game.

Thanks

[quote name='nuromutt']Anyone tried any games that resemble space trader for the palm? I liked that game a lot. Doesn't have to be a space setting just a similar type game.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

There are SEVERAL games that are designed to be more or less direct ports of Space Trader for the Palm. People LOVED that crap.

None of them are NAMED Space Trader though. Search Space Trader and look through anything that pops up. I went with Dark Nova and it seems to be pretty good.

You know, there was a freeware PC port of Space Trader too.

A bunch of great games going free tonight. To start it off...

Moblox is fun physics puzzle game. Also the latest Openfeint game of the day.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/moblox/id385795535?mt=8

Super Badminton 2010 also just dropped to free! Good game that I'm liking so far. Not quite a virtua tennis clone but badminton is ok. :razz:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/super-badminton-2010/id379781259?mt=8

iSlash just went free as well! For those reluctant to buy Fruit Ninja, this is a pretty decent ninja slashing fix.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/islash/id388130466?mt=8

Goro's Way is a fun sidescrolling platformer... the lead character reminds me of Kirby. haha :lol:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/goros-way/id370648875?mt=8

A couple of other meh games, but these are the highlights for the night. I'm going to try and filter my selections from now on to games I have actually dl'ed and played and like. I also had like 16 folders of freebies that I've managed to trim down to 5 folders of good quality games I actually enjoy. Good night CAGers! I'm out for the weekend so fend for yourselves! ;)

FAAD is featuring the online-only Tap Galaxy for one of its new titles right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-galaxy/id389305817?mt=8).
"Build your own vacation space station beyond the stars! In the not-so-distant future, everyone goes to outer space for a vacation! You can build pod houses, find cute aliens, grow blue trees and more in this addictive game!"

FAAD also has another virtual aquarium game, Glow Fishy, as a featured item (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glow-fishy/id396302080?mt=8).
"Glow Fishy is a virtual aquarium where you raise, feed, breed cute little fishes. When they are fully grown you can keep them or sell them to buy newer fishes. Remember to show your love to your fishes, clean the tank, and visit your neighbors to see who has the most beautiful fish tank. You can also play with them by tapping on the device screen. Decorate your aquarium as per your choice to gain experience and unlock more fishes. There are lots of backgrounds, corals, treasures to choose from. Special bubble decors let you decorate your tank to a new level. Also do not forget breeding as you can produce some very cute fishes ONLY by breeding."

The Super Monkey Ball-like Dinky Ball is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dinky-ball/id328864389?mt=8).

"Dinky Ball is a platform, ability and race game at once, where your skills and your nerves will be put to the test!
- Take the ball at the top of the Tower !
- Play with the forces of gravity !
- Arrive in time !

Take advantage of the various blocks of the Tower (teleporter, decelerator, accelerator, jumper, etc ...) to pave a path to the top.

Move the ball simply and intuitively by tilting the iPhone / iPod touch through accelerometer.
Tap screen for jumping !!!"

Snake is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/snake/id389042273?mt=8).

"Help Sockie grow by devouring colored balls of yarn in this updated take on the classic game of Snake.

The more balls of yarn you devour the more points you score but don't forget to take on our great achievements that include such challenges as 'Paint Me Red' to 'Happy Holidays Sockie'.

The game comes with four different backgrounds, 2 control modes (swipe and plus), three different speeds and of course Open Feint leaderboards and achievements."

The arcade shooter Super Blast is FREE until 10/27 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-blast/id391099475?mt=8).

"Super Blast is an action-packed fun arcade shooter with super easy game control.

You are playing with a trigger-happy robot, who is cleaning up the universe from creepy monsters.

Beware, don’t let any monsters pass you!

Collect a variety of weapons on your flight through the Galaxy. Newer and better weapons will make your job a little easier.

If you are under pressure fighting off enemies, just tap the screen and resolve the matter with an ultimate Super Blast."

Chaos Rings was made as an iPhone game only so I guess they wanted to make it easier because of the controls maybe? No idea why they made it so easy. I'm looking forward to their port of FFT though.

CGS is a port from the PSP game and is supposed to be a more traditional JRPG , although it is Korean developed. I would expect it to be considerably deeper and the reviews look good. I can't personally vouch for it because I haven't yet played it.

New FAAD offerings include:
Retro Revolution (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/retro-revolution/id363462667?mt=8).
"Fly down the beautiful, never-ending, randomly generating tunnel avoiding several perilous obstacles. It's never the same twice so you must stay alert while you continually accelerate faster and faster. Survive long enough to earn your spot on the leader boards."

Head Spin 3D
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/head-spin-3d/id383310538?mt=8)
"Head Spin is an action puzzle game. Not only do you have to solve puzzles. You have to solve them as fast as you can.

To play Head Spin you just need to know four things:
• By swiping across two heads at a time, rotate the heads until they are all upright and facing toward you.
• The puzzles of each difficulty level must be completed within a certain number of moves.
• A game consists of twelve puzzles chosen at random. Complete them as fast as you can
• If you get stuck at any point hit the solve button. However, you will incur a time penalty.

You just have to spin heads. How difficult can it be?"

Great Tank War is FREE until Halloween (http://itunes.apple.com/app/great-tank-war/id378457262?mt=8).
"Finally, a real masculine arcade game with explosive World War II warfare has invaded the App Store. Great Tank War puts the future of the free world in your hands with awesome firepower, stunning 3D graphics and ultra-realistic game play.
Great Tank War pits the formidable U.S. Sherman tanks against the notorious German Tiger tanks and other historically accurate armored vehicles. Blast your way through countless, challenging battles, using Great Tank Wars’ intuitive controls, your wits and an array of powerful weaponry.
Upgrade your tank’s armor to withstand the punishing enemy attacks. Unlock your tank’s 5 weapon types—AFV 75mm cannon, Pounder Firefly, Flamethrower, Calliope and 105MM howitzer—to wreak havoc on enemy forces."

Cablink
is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cablink/id317336556?mt=8).
"Cablink is a puzzle game where you are given a scrambled network or grid that you must reassemble by rotating its pieces and connecting them to the 'power source'. This highly addictive game comes with a slew of features that will keep you entertained for hours:
- Puzzles are generated and scrambled randomly for each new game. You'll run out of lifespan before you run out of puzzles that need to be solved! Pan and zoom your way across puzzles ranging in size from 4x4 to 15x15!
- Familiar "touch" gestures such as tapping, pinching and swiping make for elegant puzzle navigation.
- Choose puzzles that have longer or "twistier" connections with more end points; each type provides a unique gameplay style.
- Turn on blackout mode to only reveal a cell when it is powered, requiring the player to explore the puzzle at the same time they are trying to solve the it.
- Hexagonal boards give every piece 2 additional directions in which they can connect to the puzzle. (Guaranteed to melt your brain with wrapping on, too!)
- Grid wrapping allows cells to connect to others clear on the other side of the grid, greatly increasing complexity. Guaranteed to melt your brain!
- Use Puzzle Codes to replay your favorite (or maddening!) puzzles, or share them with a friend to see who can solve the same puzzle first!
- Turn your device sideways for landscape-play mode, removing everything but the board for concentrated gameplay.
- Full Open Feint social network integration; chat with other players, unlock achievements, and submit your high scores to see how you rank on global leaderboards."

Some of these games are like XBLA or PSN games. It's nice to see that the iPhone/iPod has these complex games even tho I refuse to play them on a touch screen. I appreciate what developers are doing for the platform but I can't see myself playing anything else than casual games. I got Modern Combat when it was $1 but I just can't play a game that uses a full 360/PS3 controller on a touch screen. I really wanted to like these more complex games like Hero of Sparta and Dungeon Hunter but I cannot get used to the on screen controls.

Battle for Wesnoth has dropped from $4.99 to $.99! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-for-wesnoth/id340691963?mt=8)

"Battle for Wesnoth is the official port of a gigantic, complex and detailed full-scale strategy-RPG. We made sure that nothing was cut from the game, everything from flags flapping to skeletons juggling their heads, it's all here!

Wesnoth is a unique combination of tactical strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Panzer General, and Final Fantasy Tactics. Using your hero, you need to capture villages to gain income, and recruit new units to do battle. These units gain experience through combat and can level up into powerful new classes. But make sure to protect your veteran troops, as they can be recalled throughout a campaign!

To find out more about the game or to play the PC/Mac version for free, please visit http://www.wesnoth.org"

FYI Retro Revolution is like a simpler version of Boost 3D, though it has a flight mode that changes the gameplay mechanic that injects some new fun into playing the game. Might be worth a download if you don't want to shell out the buck for Boost.

Fall Guy is the next OpenFeint Free Game of the Day feature (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fall-guy/id394734118?mt=8).
"Fall Guy is an EXCITING new type of reaction game! How far can you fall? One thing is for sure, you’ll be picking Fall Guy up again and again to find out!
Featuring:
• Addictive “just one more go” game play!
• Three modes of play, Classic, Pitfall and Pitfall Extreme
• OpenFeint gloabal Leaderboards
• OpenFeint Achievements"

HM Tank has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hm-tank/id396415166?mt=8).
"On April 21, 2533,The Earth was attacked by The T-Alien Union.The earth has almost been taken captive...Major cities are burning to the ground...Can you be the Savior of us all?
-30 Battles!
-A tradition pixel tower defense game!
-Great graphics!
-Move your fingers to save the world!"

The Jim & Frank Mysteries - The Blood River Files (http://appshopper.com/games/the-jim-and-frank-mysteries-–-the-blood-river-files) just dropped to $.99. Picked it up since I had passed on it during their release sale. Decent reviews, and I'm a Layton fan, so I figure I should be able to get my buck's worth out of it fairly easily.

Also, on another note, I picked up Trainyard Express, and beat it in a few hours. Awesome game. Picked up Trainyard same day, and am currently stuck on one of the last few puzzles. Can't recommend highly enough for people who like logic puzzles.

[quote name='Kush']Battle for Wesnoth has dropped from $4.99 to $.99! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-for-wesnoth/id340691963?mt=8)

"Battle for Wesnoth is the official port of a gigantic, complex and detailed full-scale strategy-RPG. We made sure that nothing was cut from the game, everything from flags flapping to skeletons juggling their heads, it's all here!

Wesnoth is a unique combination of tactical strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Panzer General, and Final Fantasy Tactics. Using your hero, you need to capture villages to gain income, and recruit new units to do battle. These units gain experience through combat and can level up into powerful new classes. But make sure to protect your veteran troops, as they can be recalled throughout a campaign!

To find out more about the game or to play the PC/Mac version for free, please visit http://www.wesnoth.org"[/QUOTE]

Yessssss....Buy this.

If you like them "strategery" games at all, buy this. It's soooo good.

SpongeBob Marbles & Slides has dropped from $2.99 to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/spongebob-marbles-slides/id394392302?mt=8)

"SpongeBob Marbles and Slides is a drawing-meets-physics puzzler that lets you play with SpongeBob and the rest of the Bikini Bottom gang as you never have before!

Help SpongeBob and friends foil Plankton’s plot to steal the Krabby Patty recipe! Navigate crazy obstacles and Plankton’s diabolical traps through various Bikini Bottom locations, rolling their marble-shaped bodies through level after level by drawing slides, using the environment, and tilting your device.

Earn bonus points based on how skillfully and quickly the levels are completed. Unlock achievements and more levels of play!

SpongeBob Marbles and Slides includes the following features:
* Explore sixty levels of varying difficulty spread across Bikini Bottom
* Draw lines to create slides and guide SpongeBob and his friends to safety
* Use a variety of special tools—flippers, cannons, teleportals, etc.—to solve each puzzle
* Compile a Spectacular Collection of Stuff: rack up achievements and collect tons of SpongeBob memorabilia"

...Heard good things (some comparing it to Kirby's Canvas Curse) and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Good stuff.... I just wish Fieldrunners would drop. Great game but there are better that are .99 cents.

Anyhow... Thanks everyone for contributing!

New FAAD featured games include:
Potty Panic (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/potty-panic/id389300355?mt=8).
"Potty Panic is a ridiculously fun and incredibly addicting game with a strong sense of humor and a matching obnoxious soundtrack. You are put in charge of EVERYONE that has to go potty and you need to navigate ALL of them in and out of the potty area without making even one mistake.

This game requires skill and planning and simply gets faster and faster and faster and faster until you just can't handle it anymore. And make sure to look out for anyone suffering from Potty Panic (blinking in red), as they are moving faster than everyone else and they have to go potty RIGHT NOW with NO MORE WAITING AVAILABLE!"

Retro-X
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/retro-x/id301857399?mt=8).
"Retro-X is the latest version of Retro Cave Flyer, a skill-based Lunar-Lander style game where you must save the day by rescuing stranded scientists over 23 levels.

Retro-X features 23 challenging levels, some of which have been known to make grown men cry on the hardest settings; physics options for the more descerning players and Booster Packs for getting stragglers out of tricky situations."

Good morning CAG! Tuesday morning update.

Run Kattie is currently free, a decent 3d runner game.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/run-kattie/id371693347?mt=8

Batter up baseball is a fun 3d home run derby game that's currently free.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/batter-up-baseball/id307922945?mt=8

Swaggy dogs is the latest Openfeint game of the day. A collection of puzzle games using cute dog pictures.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/swaggy-dogs/id390856600?mt=8

Guess Phrase is a fun party game like Taboo but on your iphone/ipod device! It's currently free so get it and be the life of your next party.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/guess-phrase/id381447242?mt=8

Distant Assassin dropped to free again. A rather enjoyable cartoony shooter game using the accelerometer.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/distant-assassin-reload-sniper/id362847844?mt=8

Drop Dead is a match three game with a cartonny zombie twist for those looking to get in the mood for halloween.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/drop-dead/id395981508?mt=8

And one of my personal favorites, Draw Slash: Dark ninja vs. Pirate Monkey Zombies is currently free! There are two versions of this, one in color and this one which is black and white with RED blood and slashes. I personally prefer this one since it looks cooler in b&w when the blood from the slashes spills in red... like Madworld and such games. :)

http://itunes.apple.com/app/draw-slasher-dark-ninja-vs/id333263239?mt=8

Galaxy on Fire 3D dropped to free! It's one of the better 3d shooters available, and at free how can you NOT dl it?!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/galaxy-on-fire-3d/id308333717?mt=8

Lol @ this screenshot from batter up baseball
mzl.umtyodfp.320x480-75.jpg

[quote name='DtotheP']Not on sale but the new Moog Filtatron app sounds ridiculously good. Not for novices though.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filtatron/id396776418?mt=8[/QUOTE]

At first I had to click on this right away. After a few moments of watching YouTube video demos, I decided to pass. More of an on-the-go noise doodler, at least on the iPhone. Plus, one misses out on Moog's delicious analog circuitry. Still, could be fun for working out ideas, or if someone absolutely needs to effect their wavs on the go. For studio or on-stage stuff, gimme a stomp box any day.

Thanks for posting, though! I never even knew Moog was involved in iPhone stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back