iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

[quote name='dmaul1114']Speaking of contacts....

Is there some app I can use where I can export all my contacts from my Palm Pilot that I still have in the Palm Desktop software into some other PC (or Web app) and then sycn up with an iPad app to access on the go?[/QUOTE]

Does this help?

http://forevergeeks.com/import-contacts-from-palm-desktop-to-iphone

I just did a google search for "convert palm contacts to iphone". There were some other hits that sounded like they might be useful.

[quote name='crunchewy']Does this help?

http://forevergeeks.com/import-contacts-from-palm-desktop-to-iphone

I just did a google search for "convert palm contacts to iphone". There were some other hits that sounded like they might be useful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

That would work well since we just moved our work e-mail system from Novell Groupwise to Outllook (using Office 365/Microsoft Exchange) so it would be convenient to have all my contacts in Outlook and sync that to the iPad address book.

I grabbed it, but haven't tried it yet. It's about time they released it, but hopefully the time it took means it is polished out of the gate. Actually I'm not really a fan of video calls/skype, but my family likes it, especially on holidays.

Now Facebook needs to get their act together and release that iPad version of the Facebook app that's hidden inside....

Yeah, I use Skype a lot since my girlfriend is out of the country currently.

And yeah, the Facebook app needs to hurry up and come out as well. I'm not a big fan of the third party apps, and the chat doesn't work in iPad web browsers.

Finally tried out the iPad app. It's a nice improvement on the iPhone one as it's nice having full screen video, and it's better quality than doubling the iPhone app obviously.

It seems like they could have supported conferencing with multiple people in the iPad version. Maybe in an update? Anyway, I think that feature of Skype isn't free. I've never actually tried to do it.

I've been tasked with choosing the case for the office iPad 2s. So, recommendations? I need something that will withstand heavy travel and has the ability to securely hold the iPad while typing or showing a video.

Lots of reviews seem to be hit or miss, so I figured you'd be the people to ask. Any help appreciated.

Yeah, that's probably the way to go if you need something really sturdy.

I'm still fine with my combo of smart cover and neoprene netbook sleeve to put it in when sticking it in my bag. I've had it since launch and still have no scratches etc. But I'm pretty easy on it and only use it home, office and places like coffee shops, air planes and hotel rooms--and don't have any kids around.

Back to the Magazine thing above, I'm going to cancel the Newseek sub. It's about the same price as the print version and doesn't have all the content of the print version. I'm not as big a fan of the magazine since they changed the format to be less news and more features a couple years back as well. Fareed Zakaria leaving for Time hurt the magazine as well as he was one of the better contributors.

Yeah, I was thinking Otterbox, but was hoping to get some feedback on it. Anyone else vouch for it?

My big issue is the fact that I'm buying for other people. Me? I trust me not to destroy an iPad. Other people? Really not so much. So, sturdiness is a big factor.

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

I use the smart cover with an inexpensive nylon, padded sleeve and I like that combo a lot. If you need it to withstand drops, though, there's no doubt better options like Otterbox. Too bulky for me, though. The padded nylon sleeve does afford some drop protection, but out of the sleeve could be a different story. I don't know and hope not to find out. :)

[quote name='007']Yeah, I was thinking Otterbox, but was hoping to get some feedback on it. Anyone else vouch for it?

My big issue is the fact that I'm buying for other people. Me? I trust me not to destroy an iPad. Other people? Really not so much. So, sturdiness is a big factor.

Thanks for the input so far, guys.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']Otter Box. 'spensive, bulky, worth it.[/QUOTE]

The defender case for the original iPad is phenomenal, the benchmark for all others to be judged.

My kid (and friends) have tried their best to accidentally break our iPad. Despite this, the case has allowed it to weather it all and looks pristine when I remove it and clean it.

It's been sat on while under a blanket, stepped on, and dropped from chest height onto hard surface flooring (multiple times), always coming away unscathed.

Bulkiness is a relative consideration. If you're skinny jeans wearing, pinky-up soy latte drinking hipster and you want your iPad gear effete to match your style then yes it is more bulky. ;)

However, an Otter box equipped iPad still thinner than/thin as a netbook, even with the cover attached- and still snugly fits within a 10.1 inch neoprene sleeve for airline/luggage travel.

That being said, from what I have seen and read the iPad 2 case- doesn't quite measure up to the original gangsta iPad version. It's not terrible, it just doesn't seem as sturdy and durable as the original defender.

It probably still is your best option. Most of the negative reviews (on Amazon and elsewhere) come from people who have owned the 1st model and compared it to the second, so their bar may be set higher, skewing their/our perceptions of the second incarnation.

Edit: Anyone else having to manually format their posts with BBS code or is it just me?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's nothing to do with how it looks--I couldn't give a rats ass about that kind of stuff.

I just love how thin and light it is to hold and carry around. It's a near perfect design IMO, so I hate to bulk it up at all with a case, And since I don't have kids around etc. I don't really need the extra protection of something like an Otterbox.

So the smartcover and netbook sleeve combo work great for my needs. And I love the instant on of just opening the smartcover and it's on rather than having to press the button then swipe the screen.

But the Otterbox, and that iPad 1 case you note, are damn good protective cases for people who need/want the extra protection more than they want to keep the device and thin and light as possible.

That's one of the big advantage of apple products over the competitors. They have such a big market share there are a shit ton of case and accessory options for their gadgets so its easy to find things that fit your needs. Compared to Android, for example, where there's a ton of different phones and tablets and a much more limited selection of accessories for each one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you guys have sold me on the Otterbox, so I thank you for that... and, really, so should they. ;)I agree with dmaul, though, in that I'm not generally a fan of hefty cases. I've steered clear of them with my phone, and likely would have done the same with the iPad if it was a personal purchase. Problem is, everyone had to get the same case, and I couldn't in good conscience pick form over function given the people I was buying for. Thanks again for the help.

anyone have any guesses as to when iOs 5 should be out? based on prior system upgrade releases or just rumors being thrown around?

Yeah, there's no specific date yet, just sometime this fall.

My guess it will come out around the same time as the iPhone 5, which current rumors have pegged as coming in October.

I just noticed yesterday that my iPad 2 has a little dent in the corner. It's a bit like getting your first scratch in your car. Kind of a relief - not having to worry about it any more. Ok, so maybe not. Oh well.

Go to the app store and look up the dolphin web browser. 4 of the pictures list 'no SIM' but one shows Verizon 4G. So either they got an advanced model or they're ficking around.

Anyone wondering if they are eligible, there is a worthless web page AT&T has put up (because it will only say if you are eligible for a cheap upgrade, not *when* you will be eligible), so the best way to check is to dial *639# from your phone (that you want to upgrade). You'll get a text message with the details in a few minutes.

I'm a "may" be eligible on 12/04/2011. That's not too far off. I may opt to do the upgrade if the *may* proves to be *am*. Why is it "may" anyway?

I use the camera on my 4 a lot - it's pretty much our main camera now - and the improvements to it in the 4s look great especially that it pulls in 73% more light, plus Siri looks awesome *and* there's now a 64 GB model! I want all that stuff (and the improved performance is great too, of course). Yeah, wouldn't have minded seeing 4G, but it's not a deal-breaker for me, especially since I'm not sure of the coverage 4G has around here.

EDIT: err... this is for AT&T. I don't know if that number works the same for Verizon (or Sprint)

AT&T has gone through and pushed upgrade dates forward before iPhone launches in the past. If yours falls before the end of the year, history says you'll get pulled up. Mine is sitting at 11/25 and I'd be surprised if AT&T didn't bump me up. It's not like I can threaten to go to another carrier though, given AT&T phones are the only ones that get reception where I work.

[quote name='crunchewy']If they bump me up, I will be happy. Keeping fingers crossed and will check again as we approach the pre-order date.[/QUOTE]

Good luck. I emailed customer service to ask if they are bumping people. I'll post a response here if I get one.

edit: from another forum, I'm already reading about others being bumped, so it is happening. Just a waiting game for everyone now.

i dialed *638#. it says upgrade available on 2/20/12. but i can upgrade for a $250 fee, plus the cost of the phone, a 2 year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. i think i'll wait.

What's the discount? I have 10 months left on my 2 year commitment but I could be persuaded to sign another 2 year deal for a discount on the phone... that I'm not currently planning on buying.

[quote name='Javery']What's the discount? I have 10 months left on my 2 year commitment but I could be persuaded to sign another 2 year deal for a discount on the phone... that I'm not currently planning on buying.[/QUOTE]

199/299/399 for 16/32/64GB if you have full upgrade eligibility. Add $250 to each one if you are only eligible for early upgrade pricing.

[quote name='Anexanhume']199/299/399 for 16/32/64GB if you have full upgrade eligibility. Add $250 to each one if you are only eligible for early upgrade pricing.[/QUOTE]

Wow - PASS. Looks like I'll wait until my contract is up before considering it.

I'm almost 1 year into my 2 year contract and AT&T is saying I can upgrade for the regular subsidized price, yet my lady friend is way past a year and has to pay an extra $250.

Doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Oh maybe bump hasn't hit her account?

[quote name='dallow']I'm almost 1 year into my 2 year contract and AT&T is saying I can upgrade for the regular subsidized price, yet my lady friend is way past a year and has to pay an extra $250.

Doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Oh maybe bump hasn't hit her account?[/QUOTE]

Did you take advantage of the early upgrade for the iPhone 4? I think people who upgraded early to the iPhone 4 will have to wait longer this time around and if you didn't take advantage of that you may still have that option. My iPhone 4 contract is over a year old and I can't upgrade until March. Not complaining since I am passing this time around though.

[quote name='eliter1']Did you take advantage of the early upgrade for the iPhone 4? I think people who upgraded early to the iPhone 4 will have to wait longer this time around and if you didn't take advantage of that you may still have that option. My iPhone 4 contract is over a year old and I can't upgrade until March. Not complaining since I am passing this time around though.[/QUOTE]

Interesting theory. Prior to the 4s being announced, I could upgrade for discounted price + $250 (i.e., $449.99 for 16GB iPhone 4). I looked today, and it said I could upgrade at "full retail price" (i.e., $649.99 for iPhone 4s).

It's one thing to not be eligible for the full discounted price, but to have my eligibility end up getting fucked over in the process (that is, an iPhone 4 is more expensive for me this week compared to last) makes no bloody sense to me.

Anyone install iOS 5 GM yet? I decided to give up my Jailbreak and give it a go. It seems like it's everything people have been wanting from iOS from day one... I know there is supposed to be twitter integration but I can't seem to find out how to do it. I was able to add my account information into iOS but that's about it.

I just tried to dial *638# and I get, "Error performing request. Uknown error."

LOL. I guess they are getting swamped. I was hoping to see that they'd bumped me up, but I guess I have to wait to figure it out.

I'm really glad to hear that they finally updated Facebook for the iPad. I'll download the update when I get a chance.

EDIT: Doh! Wrong number. Was supposed to be *639#. Whoops. :) And they haven't bumped me up, at least not yet. It's still showing as 12/04/11 for me. Oh well.

Finally decided to take the iPhone plunge. Just ordered a black 16gb iPhone 4S from Verizon.

I'm dropping Netflix streaming as soon as I finish Madmen, and dropping my Gym membership as my condo upgraded the work our room and it's more than good enough now. So those bills going away offset paying for a dataplan so I finally took the plunge.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finally decided to take the iPhone plunge. Just ordered a black 16gb iPhone 4S from Verizon.

I'm dropping Netflix streaming as soon as I finish Madmen, and dropping my Gym membership as my condo upgraded the work our room and it's more than good enough now. So those bills going away offset paying for a dataplan so I finally took the plunge.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. Now just don't download the Netflix mobile app. You may find that having it at your fingertips makes it that much harder to get rid of..

Enjoy your new phone.

I've never even used the Netflix app on my IPad. :)

If I'm going to watch a movie or show I'll generally wait and watch it on my 50" TV.

On top of regular phone uses, I'll mainly use it for apps, email and some internet stuff on the go. Kindle app is one I really want as I semi-often get stuck waiting some where and don't have my kindle or iPad with me.

I'll use it some for music as well as I seldom carry my nano or creative mp3 players around.

Got my iPhone 4S today. Loving it so far. Though I've spent all afternoon dicking around setting it up when I have a ton of work to do!

bread's done
Back