iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='zeb06']How do the NFS games compare, anyone? Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, Need For Speed Shift, and Need For Speed Undercover all on sale for $1...downloading the demo for NFS Shift since its the only one i found. I normally dont play racing games like these but they're cheap lol...Real Racing 2 looks quite good but Ill definitely wait for a sale on it...no biggie.[/QUOTE]
I normally don't gravitate toward racing games, either, but the NFS series is great. For a buck each, I've gotten all of them and haven't been disappointed. It's definitely more of an arcade experience rather than a driving sim (which I think is way more fun). I haven't played Pursuit yet but my favorite so far is Undercover. I really like the way the games control, too, and I pretty much don't play any of the other racing games I have with any kind of regularity. The kart games (Crash, Krazy, etc.) are fun but much more cartoony. NFS is more realistic without getting bogged down with hyper-realism (ala Gran Turismo). As you've pointed out, for a buck each, you really can't go wrong with a blind buy. If you can spare the space, get all three.

[quote name='dabamus']How does Battlefield BC2 work on iPad since it's designed for the iPhone/iPod?[/QUOTE]
Yes it works, I haven't been able to play online yet, don't know if the problem is me, the ipad, or the game. Also I keep hitting the button that changes the size of the game x2 to x1 which sucks but still playable and well worth $0.99.

[quote name='zeb06']How do the NFS games compare, anyone? Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, Need For Speed Shift, and Need For Speed Undercover all on sale for $1...downloading the demo for NFS Shift since its the only one i found. I normally dont play racing games like these but they're cheap lol...Real Racing 2 looks quite good but Ill definitely wait for a sale on it...no biggie.[/QUOTE]

If you have any interest in racing at all, buy all of them. Each has it's strengths and is very good IMO. I love NFS Undercover and Shift, and I'm sure HP will be the same way.

Got BBC2 for ipod, NFS Hot Pursuit, Mirrors Edge, and Scrabble for ipad. Is there any reason not to buy SimCity, Tetris, or Yahtzee for ipad?

[quote name='Stimes']Got BBC2 for ipod, NFS Hot Pursuit, Mirrors Edge, and Scrabble for ipad. Is there any reason not to buy SimCity, Tetris, or Yahtzee for ipad?[/QUOTE]

Do you not have $3? That would be the only reason not to buy them IMO. All are pretty solid for $1, especially Yahtzee.

The vast majority of complaints about SimCity are that they released it at $6.99 a few days ago and it dropped to $0.99 today. Too bad for those early adopters.

Picked up:

[iPhone]
BFBC2
Hook Worlds
NBA Elite 11

[iPad]
NFS HP
NFS Shift
Madden
Pictureka!
Sim City Dlx
C&C Red Alert

[quote name='Stimes'] Is there any reason not to buy SimCity, Tetris, or Yahtzee for ipad?[/QUOTE]
Just picked up SimCity for iPad so can't comment on that. Tetris for iPad is great, it includes a d-pad (unlike the iPhone version) which makes it very playable. Once you get to a certain level though the speed is ridiculous, the tetromino falls instantly so you have to play from the preview window to have any chance of surviving. Haven't played Yahtzee much (got it for my brother, I'm not a Yahtzee fan) but it seems to be solid.

I had held off buying SimCity Deluxe on the ipad yesterday because I wanted World of Goo instead. Now for the price that SimCity Deluxe was yesterday I got SimCity,NFS Shift, NFS Pursuit, Red Alert, Scrabble, Mirrors Edge, and Madden 11 (all for the ipad). Sweeeeeet.

Ok I need some advice, I have spent about $10 in the last day on the app store, and now I am trying to decide between Dungeon Hunters 2 and Eternal Legacy, both $10 for Ipad. Someone please just tell me what to do lol.

Got Madden, NFS: Hot Pursuit, SimCity, and Mirror's Edge. I was considering World of Goo but when you can get so many quality games for only a dollar each it is really hard to justify 10 dollars on a single game.

[quote name='cgarb84']Ok I need some advice, I have spent about $10 in the last day on the app store, and now I am trying to decide between Dungeon Hunters 2 and Eternal Legacy, both $10 for Ipad. Someone please just tell me what to do lol.[/QUOTE]

Play what you have already and do not but anything not on sale...backlogs are useless

[quote name='dejeckt']whatever happened to konami's sale? was looking forward to getting that castlevania puzzle game.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, you're not missing much by not getting the Castlevania puzzler. I'm a huge Castlevania fan (going all the way back to original Nintendo cartridge) but Puzzler is just Castlevania in name only. A much better "fighting" match-3 is Shining Core. A really good RPG match-3 is Heroes of Kalevala (my current fave). Both have been on sale for .99 in the recent past and I highly recommend either of those titles over Encore of the Night. Wait for the inevitable sale on those and you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='lilman']Picked up:

[iPhone]
BFBC2
Hook Worlds
NBA Elite 11

[iPad]
NFS HP
NFS Shift
Madden
Pictureka!
Sim City Dlx
C&C Red Alert

Just picked up SimCity for iPad so can't comment on that. Tetris for iPad is great, it includes a d-pad (unlike the iPhone version) which makes it very playable. Once you get to a certain level though the speed is ridiculous, the tetromino falls instantly so you have to play from the preview window to have any chance of surviving. Haven't played Yahtzee much (got it for my brother, I'm not a Yahtzee fan) but it seems to be solid.[/QUOTE]

Aren't the games universal?

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Aren't the games universal?[/QUOTE]

EA and Gameloft, along with a lot of the big developers, are not in the habit of making games universal. More and more new releases are though- notable recent ones are infinity blade, Rage HD, Aralon and Dungeon Defenders.

Darkjedi, the ipod version will work on your ipad, but it wont be the native version, it will be the doubled lower quality one. Also, if you were to be the ipad version it will not work at all on your iphone. Universal apps are indicated by a "+" to the left of the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='caltab']EA and Gameloft, along with a lot of the big developers, are not in the habit of making games universal. More and more new releases are though.

Darkjedi, the ipod version will work on your ipad, but it wont be the native version, it will be the doubled lower quality one. Also, if you were to be the ipad version it will not work at all on your iphone. Universal apps are indicated by a "+" to the left of the price.[/QUOTE]

Ohh that's what the plus means. Thank you for the info.

Had to grab
BFBC2
NFS:HP
Simpsons Arcade
HC: Hunting
SimCity

Getting a new ipod touch tomorrow. Amazons deal of $270 and a $25 gift card for a 32gig was too good to pass up since my G2 is slowly dying.

[quote name='darkjedi187']Ohh that's what the plus means. Thank you for the info.[/QUOTE]

^ Same. I didn't know what the plus meant. :lol:

Man, between this forum and the Lightning Deals on Amazon, I'm going broke in a major way. Thank goodness I had enough foresight to clear off any credit card debt before the holiday shopping frenzy. January's going to be a rude awakening, though. . .

Any impressions/reviews of, BFBC2, SimCity Deluxe, or NFS: Undercover?

I've never played a SimCity game. What is the best NFS game on the iPod/iPhone?

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Any impressions/reviews of, BFBC2, SimCity Deluxe, or NFS: Undercover?

I've never played a SimCity game. What is the best NFS game on the iPod/iPhone?[/QUOTE]

I played a bit of Battlefield and it seemed pretty good, I didn't care much for Simcity but I don't like those games that much, all the Need for Speed games are well made. My favorite NFS is Shift but it depends on what type of racing you like the most, Shift seems a bit more Simulation while the others are a bit more arcade.

[quote name='Sagemoon']Has anyone played the sims on iPhone? any recommendations for which version I should pick up?[/QUOTE]

I personally thought they were fun but limited compared to the console. A lot of people I know still prefer the original Sims 3 the most.

[quote name='Sagemoon']Has anyone played the sims on iPhone? any recommendations for which version I should pick up?[/QUOTE]

I read a few reviews before biting the bullet during the last sale, and they all said Ambitions was the best of the 3 iOS games. It supposedly contains a lot of requested features from the full game that are missing in the previous iOS entries. I personally own and enjoy it, wish it was retina though.

Does anyone else have a problem with free space available between syncs? Like right now, iTunes says I have .40 gb space available. I hit sync, it jumps to 1.30 gb available. Hit sync again, drops back down to .40. Hit sync again, 1.30 gb again.

[quote name='cplater']I picked up NFS: Shift this morning. Any point in picking up NFS: Hot Pursuit?[/QUOTE]Yes, all three NFS games are very different. Personally, my order of enjoyment goes Undercover > Hot Pursuit > Shift. Undercover is very arcadey, Hot Pursuit is cops vs robbers with a lot of crashes, Shift is simulation oriented.

If you're into racing games, $3 for all three games is an absolute steal. I paid $20 for the lot of them.

[quote name='moojuice']Does anyone else have a problem with free space available between syncs? Like right now, iTunes says I have .40 gb space available. I hit sync, it jumps to 1.30 gb available. Hit sync again, drops back down to .40. Hit sync again, 1.30 gb again.[/QUOTE]

It always does that to me... It'll say that I have like 3gb free, and when I REMOVE something, I'll go DOWN to like 2gb. Makes no freaking sense at all and I never found out why it does it...

I might bite the bullet on SimCity in a few. I'm weary of that and Military Madness. I hear the difficulty on MM is stupidly hard.

Picked up NFS:HP, BFBC2, and Krazy Karts... as well as running into an old pc game i used to play Pocket Tanks.... one free version and the other Deluxe for 5 bucks. I loved the hell out of Pocket Tanks, but hopefully the deluxe version will go down in price.

[quote name='lllGurulll']When did MGS Touch jump back up to 7.99?[/QUOTE]

It didn't. It is .99 right now...I remember it was $4.99 before konami recently did the price reduction.

Since yesterday I have purchased:

Max Adventures- .99
Gravity Guy- .99
Revolt- FREE
NinjaGoGo- FREE
Battlebears -1- FREE
Battlefield Bad Company 2- .99
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit- .99
HookWorld- .99
NBA Elite 11- .99
Spore Origins- .99
KrazyKart Racing- .99
Metal Gear Solid Touch- .99
FIFA 11- .99

So I spent $10 worth of video game apps!!

Also got CNN Live for free. Sweet deals over this Christmas!

[quote name='jcslao']Since yesterday I have purchased:

Max Adventures- .99
Gravity Guy- .99
Revolt- FREE
NinjaGoGo- FREE
Battlebears -1- FREE
Battlefield Bad Company 2- .99
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit- .99
HookWorld- .99
NBA Elite 11- .99
Spore Origins- .99
KrazyKart Racing- .99
Metal Gear Solid Touch- .99
FIFA 11- .99

So I spent $10 worth of video game apps!!

Also got CNN Live for free. Sweet deals over this Christmas![/QUOTE]

I d'ld Revolt yesterday as well, it a pretty sweet game thus far.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']tempted to get the latest sims game...[/QUOTE]

Which one? If The Sims 3: Ambitions? Then please not hesitate! GET IT while you can at that price! Plus it's what The Sims 3 should of been (having babies and etc.).

[quote name='jcslao']It didn't. It is .99 right now...I remember it was $4.99 before konami recently did the price reduction.[/QUOTE]

When I went to check it out this morning it was 7.99.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Any impressions/reviews of, BFBC2, SimCity Deluxe, or NFS: Undercover?

I've never played a SimCity game. What is the best NFS game on the iPod/iPhone?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, all are good. They're $1 each... I lean towards Undercover as being the best.

I have Sims 3 Ambitions and it's great. I'm buying the world adventures one tonight.

[quote name='cplater']I picked up NFS: Shift this morning. Any point in picking up NFS: Hot Pursuit?[/QUOTE]

Do you like cop car chases? If so, then yes.

You have to have Sims 3 to play the two other ones right?

Also, is the free version of Cause of Death the full game but ad-supported? Will it receive the constant updates and all?

I'll be picking up a ton of these games and I have a huge backlog as it is.

EDIT: I figured out the two versions of Cause of Death are identical besides the free one has ads. And if anyone didn't know, it comes entirely with volume 1 containing 6 chapters. It then releases new chapters of volume 2 (and later volume 3) every week. These chapters overwrite so you need to keep up with them or buy them later from the on demand store.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CONMAN999']You have to have Sims 3 to play the two other ones right?[/QUOTE]
No, each Sims game is standalone. But I think you can import save data from Sims 3 if you have it.

I really wish Battlefield had a gyroscope control option. Worked great in Modern Combat. While BFBC2 is prettier to look at I feel like Modern Combat is a more engaging mobile gaming experience. It is cool that BFBC2 allows multiplayer via 3G (unlike Modern combat)

[quote name='Fire_Thief']This is the biggest night for the iPod touch in history.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']App Store just amazes me, and tonight has been the biggest night for it in history. Over 20 huge new releases, with half of them surprises. We also have a huge sale by EA going on.

I got Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for 99 cents.

Got Battlefield Bad Company 2 for 99 cents.

Got Hook Worlds for 99 cents.

I LOVE IT![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Did you forget The Guardian of Light? Come on man, over 20 high profile releases tonight...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']SONIC SPINBALL!!

Hahaha this night just keeps getting better...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Ahhhh, this is just such a wonderful time of year for the App Store. =)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']fucking AMAZING.

The Mac App Store is what has finally pushed me over the edge to buy a Macbook Pro. =)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AshesofWake']woo picked up metal gear for a dollah![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']^ It sucks, and it's old as hell. Lmao[/QUOTE]

I guess he sort of does have a monopoly on the excitement in this thread. What an ass.

Picked up a bunch from the EA sale. Wife is pretty happy about Snood HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back