iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm waffling on Tetris. Even though 99 cents, I'm just not sure how much I'm going to play it. It is a nice game to have on hand for time killing purposes, but I don't know.... Does Tetris have fast app switching support or otherwise save your state.[/QUOTE]
I would put that dollar toward a playable version of Tetris, or else toward some other game that is playable on the iPhone. New interfaces are wonderful, but sometimes they're not the best way to play older games. When it comes to falling blocks, platformers, and so on, buttons are simply better.

I bought Tetris the last time it was on sale, and like others said, the controls leave a lot to be desired. While not exactly *bad*, at higher levels it gets really frustrating when you're not dropping blocks where you think you should because of the controls and not because of a lack of skill.

I'd skip it. Then again, for $1, you might be able to put up with the controls.

NFL 2011 is on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nfl-2011/id360184660?mt=8). I actually play this one more than Madden now on my iPhone, so for .99, it's a steal.

"**OPTIMIZED FOR iPHONE 4! High-definition graphics that fully utilize the iPhone 4 Retina display**
Football is back on your iPhone/iPod touch for the 2010/2011 season with improved graphics and plenty of new features!
From the Saints to the Colts, Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson to Tony Romo, experience one of the most accomplished football simulations on the App Store."

Reckless Racing HD for $0.99 is a must have for racing fans. Scrabble HD is also good, but I've only tried sp mode so far (computer makes for a challenging opponent).

Picked up Yahtzee HD and the iPhone version of Scrabble (so that I can share it with my family and play with them from my iPad). It's too bad the controls for the iPhone version of Tetris are weak... I picked the iPad version when it went on sale recently and it includes a d-pad option that works really well.

Also just picked up Street Figher IV (not on sale). I'm having trouble pulling off some moves on the iPad; I think the problem is the analog stick is so big that I'm not moving my fingers far enough to register the move. I'll have to borrow my Dad's iPhone to try this out as it was originally intended.

[quote name='Dimsdale']NFL 2011 is on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nfl-2011/id360184660?mt=8). I actually play this one more than Madden now on my iPhone, so for .99, it's a steal.

"**OPTIMIZED FOR iPHONE 4! High-definition graphics that fully utilize the iPhone 4 Retina display**
Football is back on your iPhone/iPod touch for the 2010/2011 season with improved graphics and plenty of new features!
From the Saints to the Colts, Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson to Tony Romo, experience one of the most accomplished football simulations on the App Store."[/QUOTE]
You beat me to it, but it should be noted that it hasn't lowered down yet on the itunes store (at least for me). It should be down soon though, I'm glad I waited (was going to buy it a week ago)

951109.png

Let's Golf! 2 on sale for $0.99

http://itunes.apple.com/app/lets-golf-2/id377951109?mt=8

I just got an email that looks like their updating Angry Birds, though 0.99 seems a bit high for 15 levels. (after reading it better maybe you only have to pay .99 for the new bird (Mighty Eagle)?

The spoiler is what the email says if you want to read about the update.
The Mighty Eagle is about to hit the App Store!
After a long wait, the Mighty Eagle is almost here! This legendary and mysterious bird will be included in the next Angry Birds update, due to be released in the next few days.

The update includes 15 levels in a hot new desert themed episode, Ham 'Em High, with a brand new shiny golden egg, and all the usual goodies we love to see from Angry Birds.

The Mighty Eagle is downloadable content. If you get stuck in the game, you have the opportunity to purchase a can of sardines, which you use to lure out the elusive Mighty Eagle. This phenomenal creature will the soar from the skies to wreak havoc and smash the pesky pigs into oblivion!

Mighty Eagle will help you skip the toughest obstacles, but there's a limit: you can only use the aid of Mighty Eagle to pass a level once per hour. In other words, when you pass a level with Mighty Eagle, you need to wait an hour to use him again to pass another level.

Is that all? Far from it! Mighty Eagle includes all new gameplay goals and achievements! In each level that you already cleared using the regular birds, you can smash away freely and try to fill up the destruction gauge! If you want to smash your way through every level leaving nothing behind, you have every incentive to do so!

Mighty Eagle is an in-app purchase in Angry Birds and costs $0.99/£0.59/€0.79 to download.

[quote name='jason506']I just got an email that looks like their updating Angry Birds, though 0.99 seems a bit high for 15 levels.
[/QUOTE]

I think its actually .99 for the mighty eagle, which is just a cheat that lets you skip a level, the 15 new levels are free. Could be wrong though.

[quote name='caltab']I think its actually .99 for the mighty eagle, which is just a cheat that lets you skip a level, the 15 new levels are free. Could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]
That would be nice, I wouldn't buy the eagle though. That ruins part of the fun.
Here's the video for it for any of you that haven't seen it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eyig_V-_5o

Also don't have the link, but Hero of Sparta 2 is on sale for $.99. Definately will grab when I get home (now...what to delete to make room for it!).

I was hoping Gameloft would put Gangstar Miami Vindication down a bit and Nova down to .99, hopefully they add those to the sale.

[quote name='mtxbass1']So happy I stocked up on discounted iTunes cards thanks to all these sales. Thanks for the links as well jason.[/QUOTE]
I got 2 of the cards but they are going quickly :cry:

I'm not buying the Eagle even though I love Angry Birds. Just release another themed AB that's solid, like Halloween is, and I'll buy it. That I'd be more then happy to pay for. Well, really I'd like to see the team tackle something new now. Would love to see what else they would come up with.

Is there no multiplayer in NFL 2011, I didn't see any? If so I a little dissapointed, I thought there would be a least wifi or bluetooth.

guys, I have a 2nd gen ipod with 3.1.2 firmware. Is it worth upgrading to the latest firmware? I did it once with the 4.0, but the battery issue was so awful that I had to restore it back. Has the issue been fixed? Any help would be most appreciated.

Bah. Looks like PoP either went back up to $6.99 or AppShopper was having an error in reporting.

Picked up Splinter Cell HD. Debating The Sims. If anyone can post any comments about it, that would be great.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Bah. Looks like PoP either went back up to $6.99 or AppShopper was having an error in reporting.

Picked up Splinter Cell HD. Debating The Sims. If anyone can post any comments about it, that would be great.[/QUOTE]
It was down to 0.99 when I seen it like a half hour or so ago, but they raised it back up already. It is still down from 9.99 to 6.99 though, but who wants to pay that when it was .99 a few minutes ago.

Primetime- I have risk and it is a fairly fun game and the local multiplayer works well.

[quote name='jason506']It was down to 0.99 when I seen it like a half hour or so ago, but they raised it back up already. It is still down from 9.99 to 6.99 though, but who wants to pay that when it was .99 a few minutes ago.

Primetime- I have risk and it is a fairly fun game and the local multiplayer works well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've been looking at it for a while. I don't have much experience playing risk but it seems like it would be a fun game on the go.

BTW, not sure it'd be appropriate to link, but I had a deals forum created over at TouchArcade. Figured there's probably a ton more iPod Touch/Pad/Phone-specific users there that might see something we'd miss. So it might be a good idea to check there for deals too. But keep posting here too! The more the better!

[quote name='awp']BTW, not sure it'd be appropriate to link, but I had a deals forum created over at TouchArcade. Figured there's probably a ton more iPod Touch/Pad/Phone-specific users there that might see something we'd miss. So it might be a good idea to check there for deals too. But keep posting here too! The more the better![/QUOTE]

I've found that if you check AppShopper, or download the AppShopper app, you'll get 99% of the deals that are out there before most anyone else realizes. You may want to try that as well.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I've found that if you check AppShopper, or download the AppShopper app, you'll get 99% of the deals that are out there before most anyone else realizes. You may want to try that as well.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I use that too, but sometimes it's a bit overwhelming. Like to hear about the "good" game sales. Lots of crap to weed through on the AppStore.

[quote name='awp']BTW, not sure it'd be appropriate to link, but I had a deals forum created over at TouchArcade. Figured there's probably a ton more iPod Touch/Pad/Phone-specific users there that might see something we'd miss. So it might be a good idea to check there for deals too. But keep posting here too! The more the better![/QUOTE]

I tend to check both toucharcade and CAG for iPad games. I got a ton of what looks to be fun games for a little bit of nothin today so I'm not complaining at all:

Reckless Racing HD
Hero of Sparta 2 HD
Shrek Kart HD
Shrek Forever HD (Moar Donkey! :lol: )
Splinter Cell Conviction HD
Let's Golf 2 HD
The Settlers HD

All for less than the cost of a overpriced map pack on xbox live.

^^ Ironically, I just got a DM on Twitter that I won Scrabble from an EA contest. I'll have to wait to install it this evening, but will post impressions.

[quote name='caltab']I think its actually .99 for the mighty eagle, which is just a cheat that lets you skip a level, the 15 new levels are free. Could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...since there's been a few Angry Birds levels that have been nothing less than frustrating (yes, I suck). I might have to cough up the $.99. I assume it lets you skip more than one? Or is it like a mulligan to be used only once (which would definately not be worth it).

[quote name='powersurge']I tend to check both toucharcade and CAG for iPad games.[/QUOTE]

The thing I found frustrating about TA was having to dig through threads because often times they didn't put the sale in the thread title. So that's why I suggested a deal only forum. Hopefully, it'll be easier to spot them on there too if it chatches on.

Not to interrupt anyone's buying spree, but I thought I'd mention that Plock is the latest FAAD title (http://itunes.apple.com/app/plock/id394920810?mt=8).

"One of the most popular games on Facebook® is now available for iPhone® and iPod Touch®.

Discover the exciting world of Plock featuring colorful blocks and special items.
Break the blocks by matching two or more of the same color, or by exploding the bombs earned during the match.

Features
* Classic mode: Break blocks as fast as possible during a frantic one-minute match.
* Survival mode: Play through different levels and survive as long as you can!
* Submit your scores to OpenFeint or GameCenter and compete against your friends.
* Share your scores on Facebook® or Twitter®
* Full Gameplay and Leaderboards."

[quote name='awp']Hmm...since there's been a few Angry Birds levels that have been nothing less than frustrating (yes, I suck). I might have to cough up the $.99. I assume it lets you skip more than one? Or is it like a mulligan to be used only once (which would definately not be worth it).[/QUOTE]
I believe you can use it once an hour but don't hold me to it. I personally didn't have any trouble with the original angry birds but the halloween one is brutal.

:whee::whee:This week is going to be expensive..... So far I've gotten a list of the following:

Hero of Sparta 2
Let's Golf 2
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Brothers In Arms 2
The Settlers

I am still adding to the list but it's hard to resist when all of these gamers are only 99 cents each. I'm not ashamed to admit when it comes to the App store, I don't have much restraint.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Ok so does anyone own Scrabble? I don't know if its worth waiting for Words with Friends to price drop.[/QUOTE]

I like Scrabble a lot. Original board layout unlike Words With Friends and after the new update, games are much easier to find. Playing with your Facebook account is really easy. Push notifications, CPU play, and local multi/pass and play work well. I've had this app for a while and it's one of my most played ones.

I believe NFL 2011 has no franchise mode and no online. Basically only quick game and Season. Gameplay is pretty fun for a buck but content really isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back