iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Reckless Racing is really top notch for 99 cents. I recommend that to anyone on the fence.

Ended up buying Sims 3: Ambitions. Will post impressions soon.

Decided to take a chance on Scrabble even though I have Words With Friends. I like the idea of being able to play the computer and of 4 player games. It does that, right? Guess I'll find out....

Thanks for all the updates everyone. I've recently started weeding through all of the free apps I've gotten from here over the past few years - I was up around 1200-1300. Needless to say, much of this free stuff is absolute crap. I'm up through J, and I've been able to dump at least a few hundred that are just garbage. I still seem to have way more than I really want though, so the weeding out will continue.

Of course, then I go and spend money on today's sales, with stuff like Reckless Racing and Hero of Sparta II. Such is life

Here's my short Sims 3 Ambitions impression.

If you're a fan of the Sims, you want to buy this for $0.99. It's fun, but somewhat limited. I'm picking up the other title in the series. It's hard to say no for $1.

[quote name='primetime']Does anyone have RISK?[/QUOTE]

I heard it's kind of mediocre. Check out Dominion. I have it and it's solid.

Another extract from the All-in-1 Gamebox, Dino Cap is being featured as the main FAAD title right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dino-cap/id371264271?mt=8#).
"now with BRAND NEW ★ JUNGLE BLITZ ★ MODE!
★★★★★
prehistoric lizards are tearing the city apart. time to lock & load.
grab an UZI. an AK-47. an M-16. a DESERT EAGLE. a ROCKET LAUNCHER. a LASER GUN. a FLAMETHROWER. and there's more...
★★★★★
it's just you & a bunch of pissed off dinos. oh, & there's the salty lookin' clerk running the gun supply. he survived too."

Monster Volley Pro
is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/monster-volley-pro-multiplayer/id402223390?mt=8).
"Monster Volley PRO is the funniest game for the iPhone/iPad/iPod ever. A simple game that takes seconds to learn but weeks to master!
Slide, jump, block and smash the ball against various monsters. Beat the monsters to explore new worlds and harder opponents. Each opponent has its own abilities so each level is different."

Downloading SCC HD now. I was sad when only the iPhone/iPod version went on sale, but now the iPad version is $.99 :D

EDIT: just to pimp my card, I still have an iTunes $50 card that I'm trying to get rid of. $43 takes it!

I feel like Reckless Racing is overrated. It's not a bad game, but to me it wasn't anything special.

Space Miner Blast
is out for FREE.
Venan Entertainment's critically-acclaimed SPACE MINER series returns in this action-packed arcade spin-off! Blast gigantic asteroids, dodge enemy fire, and suck up priceless ore as you try to make it to the top of the worldwide leaderboards and become the best SPACE MINER in the universe!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/space-miner-blast/id386178417?mt=8

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on Sonic 4? I didn't bite when it dropped to $6.99 because I knew it would drop more, but I don't know if it will go below $4.99 (at least for some time)... is it worth picking up at that price?

[quote name='Kush']Any thoughts on Sonic 4? I didn't bite when it dropped to $6.99 because I knew it would drop more, but I don't know if it will go below $4.99 (at least for some time)... is it worth picking up at that price?[/QUOTE]

That's a tough one. If you're a fan...maybe. If not, then no. It's a good portable entry, but take it for face value. They will release new episodes later.

[quote name='primetime']I like Scrabble a lot. Original board layout unlike Words With Friends and after the new update, games are much easier to find. Playing with your Facebook account is really easy. Push notifications, CPU play, and local multi/pass and play work well. I've had this app for a while and it's one of my most played ones.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'll be picking this up tonight then. Thanks!

[quote name='DtotheP']Amateur Surgeon Christmas Edition returns for free

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amateur-surgeon-christmas/id339993249?mt=8
[/QUOTE]
Awesome, thanks! Been meaning to give this series a shot.

[quote name='caltab']I've been playing the crap out of League of Epic Heroes, on iphone for 1.99. It's a Desktop Dungeons clone with loot. I'd never heard of that game before, but this one is awesome. I don't really know how to describe it, but people call it a puzzle rpg kind of like 100 rogues. I normally don't like this type of game, but am loving this one.

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't look the monsters move? Weird. I like 100 Rogues, but it's buggy. 2.0 was suppose to fix all the crashing bugs, but I've just run into some crashes. Pretty annoying. Still, it is a solid rogue-like and is fun. I recommend it, but I hope they eventually really do stamp out all the bugs.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Bought Chu Chu Rocket.

Amazing deal right here.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I've never played Chu Chu Rocket and the videos aren't exactly hitting home. Is it as fun as everyone says it is? Wish there was a lite.

I'm not sure what the heck Chu Chu Rocket is about either, but for 99 cents I took a chance and just downloaded it. Hope I end up liking it. A lot of puzzle games I end up bored with. Hopefully this isn't one of them. I wish we'd get a version of Chip's Challenge. I'd buy that for a dollar.

[quote name='8bitlover']ChuChu Rocket just dropped to $0.99. Was waiting for the magic price of that one.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chuchu-rocket/id392785292?mt=8[/QUOTE]

that was quick. i am buying this right now. luckily its under 20 megs so i can get it at work.

it looks like Lets Golf 2 is also 99 cents. has anyone played the multiplayer on this? it says it has wifi multiplayer, but do you have to be on the same network for that?

Bit on Uno and NFL 2011 only wished Gameloft had that spiderman game on sale loved the demo me wants. I'm undecided on those sims games do you need the sims 3 to play them?

Scrabble sucks. I like the idea of playing 4 player online games, but that's Facebook only and, more importantly it seems to be broken. In order to see any of my games I have to log back in every time I launch the game and, ridiculously, I can only do this by creating a new game and then cancelling it. I have to wonder if I'd ever get a notification that its my turn seeing how I have to log back in. I can't be sure as nobody I tried to add to a game has taken a turn. :(

I haven't tried single player. It might be fine for that. If anybody has had success with an online game I'd like to know about it. Would give me hope.

[quote name='boredasfook']Bit on Uno and NFL 2011 only wished Gameloft had that spiderman game on sale loved the demo me wants. I'm undecided on those sims games do you need the sims 3 to play them?[/QUOTE]
I know you don't need Sims 3 to play World Adventures (so I'm assuming the same for ambitions). I was also really hoping Spiderman would go on sale.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm not sure what the heck Chu Chu Rocket is about either, but for 99 cents I took a chance and just downloaded it. Hope I end up liking it. A lot of puzzle games I end up bored with. Hopefully this isn't one of them.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. I don't know whether I'm grateful or regretful that I picked up all those discounted iTunes cards. My once-flush account is quickly being depleted by my impulse sale purchases these last few days. Now I just need to carve out some time to actually play some of my new downloads. . .

[quote name='crunchewy']Scrabble sucks. I like the idea of playing 4 player online games, but that's Facebook only and, more importantly it seems to be broken. In order to see any of my games I have to log back in every time I launch the game and, ridiculously, I can only do this by creating a new game and then cancelling it. I have to wonder if I'd ever get a notification that its my turn seeing how I have to log back in. I can't be sure as nobody I tried to add to a game has taken a turn. :(

I haven't tried single player. It might be fine for that. If anybody has had success with an online game I'd like to know about it. Would give me hope.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Haven't tried the online mode yet, but single player is boring. Think this game really just isn't as fun without people around a board. And this is coming from someone who won a code from EA a few days ago for it....and no longer have it on my iPod Touch.

BTW, if you are looking for a Scrabblish game, take a look at Word Warrior. It's kind of a word-game/RPG. Gets pretty hard because you really gotta think fast to come up with words, but I've found it to be much more enjoyable than Scrabble.

[quote name='crunchewy']Scrabble sucks. I like the idea of playing 4 player online games, but that's Facebook only and, more importantly it seems to be broken. In order to see any of my games I have to log back in every time I launch the game and, ridiculously, I can only do this by creating a new game and then cancelling it. I have to wonder if I'd ever get a notification that its my turn seeing how I have to log back in. I can't be sure as nobody I tried to add to a game has taken a turn. :(

I haven't tried single player. It might be fine for that. If anybody has had success with an online game I'd like to know about it. Would give me hope.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any problems with having to log back in to see my games. Sometimes they take a few seconds to pop up when I launch the app, but all my games will appear in the home menu. The push notifications work just fine for me.

I haven't played a 4-player game before the update, but I played several before the last update.

I have the scrabble login issue, too. It doesn't auto login to Facebook, so I have to do a create, and go back to the main menu to find the current game list.

Moviecat dropped to a dollar. I highly suggest it if you love the Scene It games or if you love movie trivia.

288615.png

http://appshopper.com/games/moviecat

Depict has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/depict/id340772215?mt=8)

"Depict is an online multiplayer pictionary game you can play with friends and strangers from around the world!
Whether you play solo, with strangers, or with friends in the same room, Depict will keep you entertained for hours.

Depict is the ultimate multiplayer charades game. It features multiple choice answers and short games, making Depict's gameplay fast and fun for the drawer and guessers. Each game consists of only 5 rounds, so it's easy to jump in and play at any time.

Features:

✓ Online multiplayer over WiFi, 3G and EDGE
✓ Play in global matches against strangers, or private matches with your OpenFeint friends
✓ Create custom avatars to express your self
✓ Easily add new friends while playing
✓ Reward players with stars for good drawings and punish cheaters by blowing the whistle
✓ Chat it up with canned chat phrases
✓ OpenFeint achievements & leaderboards
✓ Lightning Round: A fast-paced guessing-only variant
✓ Universal App"

Shining Core, is also back down to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/shining-core/id396057558?mt=8) for those who missed it.... it's one of my favorite recent purchases. It's basically a match 'em puzzle/RPG mix and a pretty damn good one.

[quote name='Brian234']crunchewy wrote:
>>I wish we'd get a version of Chip's Challenge. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Will's World is a Chips Challenge remake, and is free.
http://appshopper.com/games/wills-world[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like Chip's Challenge graphically, which makes me sad, but if the levels are good I'll get over it. Thanks for the heads up!

Scrabble's login issues are a real pain, but I can vouch that notifications work fine. I've got a game going with a friend and I get notified, then I go to Scrabble and ... damnit... I have to login again. And that means typing in username/password. Being jailbroken and having Action Menu Plus Pack makes it a little easier (favorites and clipboard history). I really hope they fix the problems because I do prefer the rules and layout of classic Scrabble. But these login issues are a deal killer pretty much.

[quote name='Brian234']Pac-Attack (iPhone) just dropped from $2.99 to $0.99.
http://appshopper.com/games/pac-attack[/QUOTE]

Actually, looks like Namco's dropping prices on virtually everything right now. Pac-Man CE is a pretty damn good deal at 99c, now that it includes all the levels they used to charge for as DLC

[quote name='Thrakker']Actually, looks like Namco's dropping prices on virtually everything right now. Pac-Man CE is a pretty damn good deal at 99c, now that it includes all the levels they used to charge for as DLC[/QUOTE]

How good are the controls? They don't have a lite version:cry:

EDIT: Cut the rope has an update with 25 new levels!

Tempted to get MGS but not sure. I played the lite version and thought it was ok. Problem is MGS 4 is my favorite game of all time and so its hard for me to be anything but disappointed with the ipod version.

[quote name='jason506']Tempted to get MGS but not sure. I played the lite version and thought it was ok. Problem is MGS 4 is my favorite game of all time and so its hard for me to be anything but disappointed with the ipod version.[/QUOTE]
MGS on the iPod is nothing like MGS on a console. Having experienced the lite version, I'm sure you're aware of that. If you can keep from comparing the two, MGS Pod is pretty fun. If you play it as the on-rails shooter it is, it's worth the .99. Otherwise, save yourself the agony and just keep playing the console version. Snake will understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back