iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='AndrewCP']lol Bad Company 2 for iPhone sucks... hard.[/QUOTE]

yea man. i don't know why i picked it up, cuz maybe its BF2. all fps on the itouch i've played so far have the worst controls, i have no idea why i thought this would be any better. at least it was just a buck.

[quote name='deletion']yea man. i don't know why i picked it up, cuz maybe its BF2. all fps on the itouch i've played so far have the worst controls, i have no idea why i thought this would be any better. at least it was just a buck.[/QUOTE]

Have you guys tried the online mode? Surprisingly theres no lag, but I don't understand how people can kill anything in multiplayer with your thumbs covering 80% of the screen...maybe I have big thumbs. Eh, for a dollar I'm not complaining.

So far the best purchase from EA is NFS Hot Pursuit. I usually don't like any of the NFS games on console cause the games feels shallow, but on the Iphone it feels like just the right kind of gameplay with surprisingly good controls.

Also, Sims 3 Ambition is fairly a good game on the iphone. The gameplay has been slimmed and streamlined for the iphone, and generally the game does a good job in replicating the PC in a smaller bite size. The controls seems intuitive and appropriate for the game. However, don't expect to create, build mansions/dungeons; the game is solely geared towards the 'life' of the sims not in creation (hope that makes sense).

Kinda want to get a sports game, but can't make up my mind between FIFA 11 or NHL 11. Maybe get both...but I just got a receipt from apple and I spent $23ish bucks.

[quote name='Wargamer']Anyone?:-({|=[/QUOTE]

Your question has been answered a few times throughout the thread, but I'll answer it again.

I have an iPad. Both sims games are great. If you're interested at all in them, buy them.

Ambititons is better, then World Adventures, then Sims 3.

[quote name='DtotheP']All the tap tap games are a buck, including Tap Tap NIN ;)[/QUOTE]
What other Tap Tap Rock games are there? Any links for them would be awsome. Thanks.

[quote name='BREVITY']Is Aralon any good? Worth it?[/QUOTE]

I've tried to get into it a few times, I don't really like the controls so far. The action button seems to randomly target objects, often I can't even see them or there on another floor. I think if they work out the camera and controls it could be legit, but not loving it so far. I especially don't like the ipad version, It's hard to reach the action buttons in the middle of the screen. I'm also having trouble getting into dungeon defenders because the tutorial is horrible, the instructions block the entire screen.

[quote name='SkyBird']that's odd, i got it for free. I had put it on my "want" list on appshopper, and it sent me an e-mail. Went to the page:

http://appshopper.com/games/gamebox-1-elite

clicked "buy now", and sure enough it showed as free on itunes. Could it be a timezone thing?[/QUOTE]

Na, you were right. I searched first for GAMEBOX, and saw GAMEBOX 1. After posting re-read and noticed that you said GAMEBOX 1 ELITE, so tried searching the whole thing and the one you mentioned came up.

Trying to buy some of these EA 99 cents games but Itunes is not going through with Paypal. I go to make the purchase, it then takes me to the Paypal site which asks me to authorize Itunes billing and the loading screens comes up then nothing happens. Doesnt take me to a new screen to make purchase. Shit.

[quote name='cheaphuck']Trying to buy some of these EA 99 cents games but Itunes is not going through with Paypal. I go to make the purchase, it then takes me to the Paypal site which asks me to authorize Itunes billing and the loading screens comes up then nothing happens. Doesnt take me to a new screen to make purchase. Shit.[/QUOTE]

Did you recently make an account? I had the same problem confirming Paypal account, and my primary browser is Google Chrome. It always seemed to freeze/stuck at the part where you put in your password to confirm your paypal account. I temporarily switched my browser to FireFox and I then had no problem confirming my Paypal account. Hope this helps.

[quote name='dejeckt']Did you recently make an account? I had the same problem confirming Paypal account, and my primary browser is Google Chrome. It always seemed to freeze/stuck at the part where you put in your password to confirm your paypal account. I temporarily switched my browser to FireFox and I then had no problem confirming my Paypal account. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, thanks I will try what you suggested.

[quote name='SkyBird']
On another related note, Queen's Crown is still at the sale price of 2.99. Worth it?[/QUOTE]

top 5 reasons - not to buy this game:

1. zenonia 2.

2. you probably already have a huge backlog of games.

3. you probably don't fit perfectly in the target group - otherwise, you would have purchased it at 4.99 (or soon after it fell to 2.99).

4. this game's biggest positive & biggest selling point is its charm. seriously, that's it. no, listen, i'm *really* serious. nothing even evolutionary going on here in terms of gameplay. in fact, in terms of gameplay, this game reminds me a lot of another game franchise in the app store . . .

5. minor annoyances add up - absurd spelling errors, too many shallow side/fetch quests, walk up to a mailbox in town for the first time and a facebook log-in screen appears for you to wrestle with, etc.

that being said, the app store ratings for this game are sky high. if you've already purchased it or plan to do so, enjoy. can't complain about the current price. but, imho, people who fall even a little bit outside of the target "cutesy rpg" gamer group won't find anything here.

Xenome ep 1 looks like an iPhone version of fallout 3, on sale for a buck

Buy

FX Photo Studio is also a buck. Probably the only filter bundle app you'll ever need. Paid $2 myself and don't regret it.

Buy

IM+ Pro is a crashy mess on both iPhone and iPad. Meebo is a better iPhone option, and that's free. On iPhone I use Beejive. It's easy to combine contacts, push works well, does a great job overall, but costs $$. On iPad I was playing around with IMO (free, worse name ever for an app, tho... IMO), not sure if I like it well enough to keep using it. Was going to get Beejive for iPad but the reviews look mixed.

I just smoked the main baddie on Infinity Blade on bloodline 5 at level 21. Man I love this game. Wonder what happens with bloodline number 6 now???

In celebration of Tales of Monkey Island Episode 1 being released for the iPad, all of Telltale Games' other releases are $.99 each.

I'm on my iPhone so I can't link to the iPad games, could someone help?

[quote name='demonchylde']I just smoked the main baddie on Infinity Blade on bloodline 5 at level 21. Man I love this game. Wonder what happens with bloodline number 6 now???[/QUOTE]
Nothing haha....but for whatever reason its still tons of fun for me. 3 swords left to master and im nearly level 39. That is, until they push out the add on next week with 5 new swords, helms, shields and 1 armor. Can't wait until they add some new levels/dungeons though :)

[quote name='o0achilles0o']In celebration of Tales of Monkey Island Episode 1 being released for the iPad, all of Telltale Games' other releases are $.99 each.

I'm on my iPhone so I can't link to the iPad games, could someone help?[/QUOTE]

Here you go. No link for Puzzle Agent SD.

Puzzle Agent HD is $0.99, from $6.99. It's a great game.

http://appshopper.com/games/puzzle-agent-hd

Sam and Max: Episode 1 HD (iPad) $0.99
http://appshopper.com/games/sam-max-episode-1-the-penal-zone-for-ipad

Wallace and Gromit (iPad) $0.99
http://appshopper.com/games/wallace-gromit-the-last-resort-for-ipad

Buy all of these games. Seriously.

[quote name='Smaxor']IM+ Pro is a crashy mess on both iPhone and iPad. Meebo is a better iPhone option, and that's free. On iPhone I use Beejive. It's easy to combine contacts, push works well, does a great job overall, but costs $$. On iPad I was playing around with IMO (free, worse name ever for an app, tho... IMO), not sure if I like it well enough to keep using it. Was going to get Beejive for iPad but the reviews look mixed.[/QUOTE]
That's odd. IM+ Pro was working really well for me on iPad last night.

Is the NFS: Shift demo bad, or do I just suck at the game?

I can't really get the hang of it (keep losing). It makes me not want to buy any of the games really. Hot Pursuit looks kinda fun though, but I'm not sure how it controls.

How is NFS compared to Real Racing?

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Is the NFS: Shift demo bad, or do I just suck at the game?

I can't really get the hang of it (keep losing). It makes me not want to buy any of the games really. Hot Pursuit looks kinda fun though, but I'm not sure how it controls.

How is NFS compared to Real Racing?[/QUOTE]

Honestly? NFS blows real racing out of the water. Shift/HP/U all take a bit of time to get the hang of, but the control schemes are much better. Real Racing is a good game, but the controls are wonky at first.

So I reached my full 11 pages of apps and without realizing it, I downloaded a couple more apps that now aren't showing up on the home pages. I put some apps in folders to save room but now how do I get those apps I downloaded to show up on my home pages? It won't let me redownload because they are installed.

I saw that the first post said developers are welcome so I figured I would post that I just released a game called Wordzy. You can check it out here: http://itunes.apple.com/app/wordzy/id401453541?mt=8.

It is a word game where you try to guess a five letter word. Each wrong guess will color code the letters to show if it is in the right spot or if that letter is even in the word. There are 16 achievements and it has GameCenter and OpenFeint integration. There are 3 timed modes and a free play mode. It costs 0.99.

I would really like to know what you guys think.

Thanks

[quote name='supps']I saw that the first post said developers are welcome so I figured I would post that I just released a game called Wordzy. You can check it out here: http://itunes.apple.com/app/wordzy/id401453541?mt=8.

It is a word game where you try to guess a five letter word. Each wrong guess will color code the letters to show if it is in the right spot or if that letter is even in the word. There are 16 achievements and it has GameCenter and OpenFeint integration. There are 3 timed modes and a free play mode. It costs 0.99.

I would really like to know what you guys think.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I'll check it out today and likely shoot you a PM. I'm a dev myself.

[quote name='mistymayem']So I reached my full 11 pages of apps and without realizing it, I downloaded a couple more apps that now aren't showing up on the home pages. I put some apps in folders to save room but now how do I get those apps I downloaded to show up on my home pages? It won't let me redownload because they are installed.[/QUOTE]

haha 99% of my apps are in folders. I have over 200 on my touch. Ridiculous I know. It's an addiction; I'm starting a 7-step program. But yeah, it is really annoying that you can't re-download directly from your iphone/ipad/touch. You have to put it back on using your computer.

I know this isn't directly related to deals, but I think it is really important for us app-shoppers. The Wall Street Journal has been doing a series on online privacy for months now (they are all worth reading), but todays is on apps. Popular iphone apps such as Pandora, The Weather Channel, The New York Times, Angry Birds, etc all collect info such as your device ID, your location, age, gender, etc etc and send them to third parties. Here is the link to the article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704694004576020083703574602.html?mod=what_they_know

And here is the link to the database of the apps they tested:
http://blogs.wsj.com/wtk-mobile/

[quote name='mistymayem']So I reached my full 11 pages of apps and without realizing it, I downloaded a couple more apps that now aren't showing up on the home pages. I put some apps in folders to save room but now how do I get those apps I downloaded to show up on my home pages? It won't let me redownload because they are installed.[/QUOTE]
you have to use the apps tab in itunes and move them from the greyed out pages.

[quote name='demonchylde']I just smoked the main baddie on Infinity Blade on bloodline 5 at level 21. Man I love this game. Wonder what happens with bloodline number 6 now???[/QUOTE]Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm through 17 bloodlines with a level 40 character, all items mastered and just over $1,000,000. Preparing for the new update, woo! Only unfortunate thing is some of my achievements glitched (perhaps because I played a few bloodlines on another iPhone conntect to my iT account), so I didn't get credit for mastering 50 items, stabbing x times and comboing x times. Oh well, not like I play the game for the achievements! Fantastic game for $6.

I agree...hesistant to spend $2.99 on it. I think the sweet spot for it is around $1.99.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']IM+ Pro dropped to $2.99 (from $9.99), second lowest price of the year (first was on February 10 2010, it dropped from $9.99 to $1.99).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/im-pro/id296246130?mt=8

Checked AppShopper and last year, on December 16 2009 it also dropped from $9.99 to $2.99, and later on December 22 it went from $2.99 to $1.99, not sure if we'd see the same pattern?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ZeroGG']I agree...hesistant to spend $2.99 on it. I think the sweet spot for it is around $1.99.[/QUOTE]

I bought it during the last sale and it is a glitchy mess. It was on my 3G, and still is on my 4. Meebo does indeed work much better, and even then, I still have to use the yahoo app to send pics etc. The last update to the yahoo messenger made it pretty damn awesome btw.

You guys are spoiled to not be stuck in the blackberry era when beejive was still jivetalk and it cost $50.

Decided to get Zenonia 2 as well :/ So that makes four games I've bought so far this week: NFS:HD, NFSU, Ambitions and Zenonia 2.

Any feedback on 9 innings: Pro Baseball, Hybrid 2 and Inotia 2?

Bought Sims 3 instead of Ambitions, didn't even think about the expansions being better, oh well. I'll grab the newest Need for Speed, looks great. And I bought Battlefield, and played an online match. It wasn't very fun, but worked okay. Hopefully the campaign is more enjoyable, I don't play iPod games online much.

After knowing from the developer that they would be releasing a patch before the end of the year, I also decided to buy Dungeon Defenders: First Wave... been really interested in the game since it was released (graphics and concept), but was a bit held back because of comments here and there (controls, interface, etc).

For some reason the graphics sort of remind me to Torchlight.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']After knowing from the developer that they would be releasing a patch before the end of the year, I also decided to buy Dungeon Defenders: First Wave... been really interested in the game since it was released (graphics and concept), but was a bit held back because of comments here and there (controls, interface, etc).

For some reason the graphics sort of remind me to Torchlight.[/QUOTE]

I want Dungeon Defenders too. Tell me what you thunk of it.

[quote name='BREVITY']I want Dungeon Defenders too. Tell me what you thunk of it.[/QUOTE]

On the video the graphics reminded me to Torchlight, but when I tried the actual thing it's not the same. I can't give too much comments because I only tried the tutorial level (eventually lost the crystal during the 4th wave), but:

• There are a lot of things on the screen, and during the tutorial there's a lot of text going on, once there was so much text they had to reduce the size of the text. It's not as bad as I read, tho.
  • I was rather confused of how things worked at the beginning.
  • There's no mini map, only a full screen map (with transparency), which you will probably have to keep opening to see what is where (and where to go).

Still, at this point I'd probably rate it 3.5~4 / 5 stars, I'd have to play a bit more to make a more solid statement. Also, keep in mind that I did not play online.

Changing topics, any comments about these games?

• ILLUSIA
  • 9 Innings: Pro Baseball 2011
  • Hybrid 2
  • Inotia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back