iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Anyone else here own an iPhone 4 bumper that's falling apart? Mine is tearing around the dock connector. I take it off frequently to clean the inside of it (remove lint and whatever else so it doesn't scratch my antenna) and I think that is what caused it. I've had it for less than 6 months now. It sounds like the apple store will replace it, but i think I'm going to look into some alternate cases. [/QUOTE]

I'm having the exact same issue. Been meaning to run by the Apple Store and see if they'd replace it actually, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm pretty sure that if I had paid for it, it would be covered under a warranty, but I'm not sure what their policy is since they refunded me for it back when they were giving out cases for free. Worth a try, though.

I have yet to find an alternate case that I like -- after the bumper, everything else just seems so bulky. Regardless, even if you do get a different case, you might as well get the Apple Store to replace your bumper if they'll do so.

Edit: I should note, I don't even take my bumper off that often -- just occasionally when I want to use my iPhone on my docking speakers (which I don't really use much). And when I do, I always pull it off at the top around the headphone jack, where it's flexible, not at the bottom. I don't think that I had taken the bumper off at all lately around the time the issue developed with it. So I don't think it's taking the bumper off and on that causes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kryptonic']How strict are they on the material you can use? Could I through on something copyrighted or not? Some sites do (Zazzle.com) and I know there's some that don't.[/QUOTE]
Uncommon seems to be very loose on copyrighted material, at least from my experience. I used a slightly altered (color only) image of TMNT and it went through without any issue. This is very different from Zazzle... those guys are ridiculously strict and I am looking for a new site, but I do enjoy Zazzle's quality overall.

EDIT: I should probably mention this too... I absolutely love my Uncommon case. It is a nice build, feels good in my hands, and the image I used looks great (sounding dirty much?). Keep in mind that my case is the iPod Touch 4th Gen case.

[quote name='kndy']Anyone know how Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy plays on the iPad?[/QUOTE]

it doesn't play at all because it doesn't exist =P. The dissidia thing on their store is a gallery.

[quote name='Darknuke']it doesn't play at all because it doesn't exist =P. The dissidia thing on their store is a gallery.[/QUOTE]

Ahh.... OK. Thanks!

[quote name='Kush']Uncommon seems to be very loose on copyrighted material, at least from my experience. I used a slightly altered (color only) image of TMNT and it went through without any issue. This is very different from Zazzle... those guys are ridiculously strict and I am looking for a new site, but I do enjoy Zazzle's quality overall.

EDIT: I should probably mention this too... I absolutely love my Uncommon case. It is a nice build, feels good in my hands, and the image I used looks great (sounding dirty much?). Keep in mind that my case is the iPod Touch 4th Gen case.[/QUOTE]

Cool I'm going to probably do something for my wife for mothers day.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks again everyone. Good advice. I'll look all these over tonight. It feels weird using my iPhone without the bumper on. I need a replacement pronto.

[quote name='crunchewy']When is Skype going to be updated for the iPad 2? Does it work for video conferencing right now, even if not iPad native? I don't have an iPad yet (maybe soon?), so I can't check this myself.

I'm in for Swivel. Why not?

LiveSketch HD is on sale for $0: http://appshopper.com/entertainment/livesketch-hd[/QUOTE]

The iPhone version of Skype does work on the iPad 2, although it runs as an iPhone app. You can expand it to 2X like all iPhone apps on the iPad, and it seems to do pretty well in terms of video quality (I haven't tried Facetime, so I can't compare). I suspect they'll update it to an HD version soon, but in the meantime, it works just fine.

Pilgrim’s Punch-Out is free

http://appshopper.com/games/pilgrim’s-punch-out

mzl.qrdikrpd.480x480-75.jpg

[quote name='bbedwards']http://www.switcheasy.com/

my favorite iPhone case. I've had the capsule rebel for my 3GS for almost 2 years. There is a bit of sag happening now on the bottom, but no big deal to me[/QUOTE]

I second this. I have the Rebel Touch for my itouch 4 and love it.

Has anyone else's Atomic Web Browser been crashing lately, mine has done it a lot times in the last few days.

Edit: it just crashed again when I was making a post and everything I typed is gone.

[quote name='crunchewy']I have Zenonia, perhaps even the sequel, and really didn't like how they controlled and in any case just couldn't get into them, so I'm balking a bit at Illusia. But of course also considering it. Addict.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'm in the EXACT same position. Would anyone recommend Illusia if I didn't really care for Zenonia that much?

Flick Football (soccer) is free and universal. Good reviews.
http://appshopper.com/games/flick-football

I hated Zenonia. I may have said this in here before, but I felt like I was just constantly so underleveled that I had to grind for ages in every new area, which would take forever because I was always so outclassed by enemies who would just destroy me while I stood there slashing and every so often getting to cast a moderately useful spell.

[quote name='Stimes']Has anyone else's Atomic Web Browser been crashing lately, mine has done it a lot times in the last few days.

Edit: it just crashed again when I was making a post and everything I typed is gone.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you just need to uninstall and reinstall. Mine's been working fine, I don't think I've experienced a single crash, knock on wood.

[quote name='opterasis']I second this. I have the Rebel Touch for my itouch 4 and love it.[/QUOTE]

I have the Capsule Rebel for my iPhone 4, and it's awesome. These cases come with screen 2 screen protectors, so you get your money's worth in my opinion.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Rhythmatic is on sale for .99 for one day only (price goes up to $1.99 tomorrow).
"Play to YOUR OWN SONGS with the ultimate rhythm game! Rhythmatic is specially designed to analyze and create tracks to your own music library right on your device!
This is the moment your inner rockstar has been waiting for. Finally, you can play along to all your music -- whether you're a beginner or a seasoned expert, there will be endless challenging and fun gameplay along the way!"[/QUOTE]

thanks bought it yesterday night before it went up to $2 was looking for something to replace Rock Band on my iPod since i needed space this was perfect it charts your own songs pretty well definitely recommend to any rhythm music game fans

[quote name='DtotheP']Maybe you just need to uninstall and reinstall. Mine's been working fine, I don't think I've experienced a single crash, knock on wood.[/QUOTE]

It seems to have done the trick although it sucks I had to do that at all and now I lost my bookmarks. Thanks for the advice though.

Clay Shooter Mania is the new FAAD featured game.
"With iPhone4 or iPod Touch 4G, Clay Shooter Mania introduce a whole new gaming experience with precise movement control using gyroscope which converts your device to a magic window that look into a 3D virtual world around you. So far most of the game uses the conventional "touch and move" method to maneuver the view, but with Clay Shooter Mania this completely changes as it uses gyroscope to maneuver the view with precise accuracy and the gameplay with such control fits extremely well in this game."

Dot 3 (. . .) is the third in the series of elliptical freebies, also being offered on FAAD right now.
"...™ is 3/6 of a set of highly rare designer apps .™
A mix of sound, graphics, and addictive original game play.™
Be part of the experience. It's all about the cool'ectable™.
Become one of a few select individuals who can own them all.
Become one of us."

Mancala Kalah
is also currently highlighted on FAAD.
"Enjoy this amazing African Safari experience! Mancala Kalah is a fun and challenging count and capture game and is very popular in many African societies and across the USA. You can play games with 3, 4, 5 or 6 seeds in each of the pits of the game board. The object of the game is to capture more seeds than your opponent. Play against the computer or with a friend. 4 levels of AI gameplay (easy, medium, hard and master) lets you keep having fun as you improve your game."

Float is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Float is a game that makes you feel happy. Try to keep the balloons in the air and off the spikes. Tap, bobble, and bump your way to fun. With multiple games modes, achievements, and leader boards there is something for everyone."

[quote name='Stimes']Has anyone else's Atomic Web Browser been crashing lately, mine has done it a lot times in the last few days.

Edit: it just crashed again when I was making a post and everything I typed is gone.[/QUOTE]Been using Atomic Web Browser for a month or more now and only ever had a crash with the second-to-last update which was caused (and is now fixed) by the app creating a bad file when saving webpages so that it would crash when they were loaded. Other than that, never had any problem to speak of with AWB.

The HD version of Worms was .99 cents a few weeks ago, looks like it's still .99 now.

I almost regret buying it, not because it isn't fun, but because I didn't realize at the time that there's actually a more expensive sequel (granted, $4.99 at the moment instead of .99) but they've added a ton of functionality to the sequel that the first game is lacking, including new weapons, a campaign mode, multiplayer bluetooth and wifi modes ... basically it improves everything and the first game is kind of ... bare bones.

It's not a bad game at .99 cents, I just kind of wish I had known about the sequel and would have put the .99 cents towards that.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/worms-2-armageddon/id355524910?mt=8

Didn't see this posted but it looks like Sacred Odyssey, Starfront Collision, and Eternal Legacy will be on sale for 0.99 this weekend according to their facebook page.

juegos.jpg

[quote name='Karuto']It looks like Sacred Odyssey HD is free right now...?[/QUOTE]

That's the free version with inapp purchase required for full.

In for Albert and Albert HD.

Sword of Fargoal Legends (iPad) has dropped to 99 cents:
http://appshopper.com/games/sword-of-fargoal-legends

I had a lot of fun with this on my iPhone and haven't played it in a while, so probably in for picking it up again on the iPad. I prefer this over 100 Rogues, but I may be in the minority in that. EDIT: done. I sure have a lot of games purchased for the iPad I don't have yet!

According to their twitter feed, League of Evil is going to drop to 99 cents (again), but it hasn't yet. Definitely worth that price! EDIT: and speaking of their twitter feed - I called them out on retweeting so many "LoE is great" tweets. Told them I'd unfollow if they didn't stop. So far the retweets have stopped and instead they posted this. Win. EDIT: it is 99 cents now - it just hasn't show up as that on appshopper yet. iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/league-of-evil/id405552598?mt=8

I also added Helsing's Fire HD to the list of apps purchased.

Thanks everyone,

I was just listening to a few week old podcast from GWJ This morning and they were recommending Hellsing's Fire.

Picked up Sword of Fargoal, Worms, and Catan as well. Might be interested in the Gameloft games when those go on sale.

[quote name='Karuto']Bah, delete delete delete! lol[/QUOTE]

It's a bit funny you say that. I forget where but I was reading an article where gameloft was trying to release one version of apps rather than a seperate free/paid version and the response was horrible.

It sounds like a good idea on paper, gamers can download one file and if they like it pay the in app unlock to continue their game and not have to replay or download another.

However, it completely backfired and many people who would have bought the game started using it as an example how inapp downloads are evil etc. The reviews plummeted, etc. Needless to say they are reverting to the old model now :)

As for me, I only have two problems with that method and both are slight. One, I'd fear we would be less likely to see sales or at least the app wouldn't be showcased as well when on sale. Second, I may download it thinking its a limited time thing and find out I have to purchase more.

Infinity Field for iPad is on sale for $0.99
I have heard good things about this twin stick shooter and picked it up for my future iPad.

Starting to look like a good sales weekend. also picked up Helsing's Fire HD, Sword of Fargoal Legends and will pick up some of the Gameloft stuff if it indeed does go on sale.

Has anyone else been having issues connecting to Game Center? I have been experiencing server issues on both my iPod and iPad this morning.

EDIT: All is fine and dandy now.

He'll yea I'm in for those game loft titles at 99 cents. Got dungeon hunter2 and nova2 for a buck and been having a blast. I want to try sacred oddessy though. Any comments on it? I am a security guard so all day I play games on my ipOd and get paid for it hahaha keep em coming.

Edit: and I want starfront too.

What timezone do these Gameloft sales usually use as the starting point for the weekend? To be more specific, I'm on Eastern standard time and I'm wondering if I can pick them up this evening.

Here's hoping they release the HD version of Starcra... I mean Starfront Collision sooner rather than later. Tempted to buy the iPhone version for .99 but I know I'll never play it once the hd version is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back