Is a DS worth it?

chodax

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I was one of the people who bought a DS right about launch and sold it about a month after that because I didnt think it was worth it. I hear there is a lot of new good games out and was wondering if its worth getting. How much do you guys actually play it? And are any of the games fun online? (I used to own a PSP and the online community for all the games were 10 people max)

Animal Crossing, Castlevania: DoS and PoR, Contact, Mario Kart DS, Phoenix Wright 1 and 2, New Super Mario Brothers, Kirby: CC and SS, Elite Beat Agents, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Hotel Dusk....

Translation: Absolutely worth it.

It is like sweet candy being shot out of your penis and directly into your veins in a Max Powers like way.

So yes, it is.

[quote name='Strell']It is like sweet candy being shot out of your penis and directly into your veins in a Max Powers like way.

So yes, it is.[/quote]

lol....but gross

Yes! a DS is worth it. Most of the games are top notch and fun

Ive had mine since September. I have always liked my PSP more, mostly because of the ability of the system, but I got my DSL because it only cost me about $50 to acquire the credit needed to buy it at the time. I think I have 8 or 9 games now - haven't gotten a terrible amount of time out of any of them. Ive played FF3, AW:DS, Trauma Center, bunch of others, and yet the only games I find myself playing are puzzles and GBA games.

I dont know if my purchase was "worth it," but I dont care because I collect games for all systems anyway. :) Im not really into them, but theres a number of quality games to play for the system. I dont think its bad, I just like other games/systems more.

I never thought I would ever get one until my brother made me play a game.
I got hooked and now have 35 games for it. Appeals to so many age groups.
I've even seen businessmen pull them out of their brief cases while riding a train.

Yes it is worth it.

[quote name='chodax']Well how is the online on them? Do people actually play the games?[/quote]

There are a whole lot of people playing Metroid Prime Hunters.Mario Kart and other online games are great for the ds.You really should buy a ds.

[quote name='chodax']I was one of the people who bought a DS right about launch and sold it about a month after that because I didnt think it was worth it. I hear there is a lot of new good games out and was wondering if its worth getting. How much do you guys actually play it? And are any of the games fun online? (I used to own a PSP and the online community for all the games were 10 people max)[/QUOTE]

As everyone else has said, HELL YES!

I play it more than my PSP/PS2/GC/Wii combined. I haven't done a ton with it online, and most of that has been via CAG (Animal Crossing a year ago and Clubhouse Games a few months back). But I hear it is still fairly robust for Mario Kart, and that game has been out over a year. There aren't a TON of online random match type games, so that probably helps the good ones keep a robust online presence.

I just bought a DS recently, only 5 games so far. And I'm loving it. I haven't tried the online for any games though, but the quality of games for the DS shouldn't be passed up if you're thinking about it. Only a couple years into the system's life and it already has a bunch of games that are great or at least worth playing.

I say yes. Be sure to get a lite. Never played it online, but it seems like a clunky system to me. No WPA support kills it for me. If it supported WPA and worked with my router I'd have probably hopped on against a CAG or two by now just to check it out.

Anyway I picked one up last summer before a long trip. Wasn't really sure I'd love it, but knew I'd get my money's worth out of it for that trip and be able to sell it off on eBay for not much under what I paid. But I ended up really taking to it.

100% worth it!!!

Kirby Canvas Curse, Advance Wars DS, Meteos, Tetris DS, New Super Mario Bros., Elite Beat Agents, Trauma Center, etc....

+ the entire GBA library.

The DS might be my favorite system ever.

Online is a little disappointing though, with the exception of Tetris, which rules.

It is worth it if you like.

2D Mario Games
Castlevania
Mario Kart
RPGs
and more!!!

Remember it is a touch screen hand held so no :joystick: is needed!

[quote name='daroga']Is the best video game system ever made worth getting? Yes.[/QUOTE]

While I love my DS, that is really streching it. :D

It is worth every penny, just like the PSP.

Def not worth it. The DS is weaksauce. All the games suxors and are for the kiddies. Get yourself a PSP. Loading times FTW!

;)

The DS is years worth of refinement of the Gameboy line along with a new and unique input method. It is basically the handheld that I dreamed about when I got my first black and white gameboy. It actually exceeded that expectation. As for the games between the GBA and the DS lineup if there isn't at least 5 games that you'll play you aren't a gamer.

Hellz yeah its worth it! I got my DS a few days before Xmas, and I've played it more up to now than I have my 360 in the past 6 months

I've sunk 20 hours into Castlevania: DoS. Now, I'm about 3-4 hours into PoR

[quote name='rodeojones903']While I love my DS, that is really streching it. :D[/quote]Maybe for you it is, but not for me.

If I can separate myself from the nostalgia of the NES and Genesis, I can say that I've had more fun with the DS than any other game system ever created. Not that I haven't enjoyed other systems and their games, but the DS is a rank above. Add to it the strongest of the GBA library, and you have, subjectively, the best game system ever made.

The irony in it all? At its annoucnemnt and fro 7 months or so after launch I thought it was the dumbest looking thing ever made, and that Nintendo was shooting their unstopable Gameboy line in the foot. Well, I was wrong. ;)

[quote name='jkam']The DS is years worth of refinement of the Gameboy line along with a new and unique input method. It is basically the handheld that I dreamed about when I got my first black and white gameboy. It actually exceeded that expectation. As for the games between the GBA and the DS lineup if there isn't at least 5 games that you'll play you aren't a gamer.[/QUOTE] Ya, same here. The DS is the console I dreamed about back when I had the original gameboy and gameboy color.

I agree. I was never into handheld gaming, the GBA was the first handheld I ever got, and then I got a GBA SP, and I hardly played either one.

Then I got a DSlite...

Not only do I love and play DS games, but it made me go back and play GBA games. I never 'collected' gba games until the DSlite.

Now my Wii and other home consoles sit neglected while I rock the DSlite, both for DS and GBA games.

[quote name='daroga']Maybe for you it is, but not for me.

If I can separate myself from the nostalgia of the NES and Genesis, I can say that I've had more fun with the DS than any other game system ever created. Not that I haven't enjoyed other systems and their games, but the DS is a rank above. Add to it the strongest of the GBA library, and you have, subjectively, the best game system ever made.

The irony in it all? At its annoucnemnt and fro 7 months or so after launch I thought it was the dumbest looking thing ever made, and that Nintendo was shooting their unstopable Gameboy line in the foot. Well, I was wrong. ;)[/quote]

Leave the Kidtendo DS to the KIDS!!! OMG PSP FTMFW

Actually if I could only own one game system currently I would have to go with DS.

[quote name='chodax']I was one of the people who bought a DS right about launch and sold it about a month after that because I didnt think it was worth it. I hear there is a lot of new good games out and was wondering if its worth getting. How much do you guys actually play it? And are any of the games fun online? (I used to own a PSP and the online community for all the games were 10 people max)[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to point out that most systems go through that period where there's no real reason to own them (aside from usually a couple of good launch games). The PSP had a six month period after launch. The 360, the PS3, the Wii, etc. all have been through that.

I like both my DS and PSP. If I had to choose, I probably like my PSP better (more potential, and I like having an analog stick), but I've got a ton of games for both.

I've had it since launch, and the Lite since launch as well. The first year or so sucked, but now if I could only have one platform to game on the DS would be it for me.

But I love 2D games and quirky unique games so YMMV.

As for best gaming system ever, that's a stretch right now but if it lasts another few years it will be challenging the SNES for that title.

Below are the top 40 games according to Metacritic. If that isn't reason enough to geta DS I don't know what is.

And damn, I have 26 of these (which is not bad considering some are imports, which I don't have, and there's 4 versions of Nintendogs on the list).

There's plenty of games below these in ranking that are excellent IMO as well (including Star Fox Command, Super Princess Peach, Big Brain Academy, Contact, Magical Starsign, etc).

1 Mario Kart DS 2005 91
2 Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2005 90
3 Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 2005 89
4 New Super Mario Bros. 2006 89
5 Meteos 2005 88
6 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2005 88
7 Elite Beat Agents 2006 86
8 Kirby: Canvas Curse 2005 86
9 Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 2006 86
10 Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time 2005 86
11 Animal Crossing: Wild World 2005 86
12 Metroid Prime: Hunters 2006 85
13 Super Mario 64 DS 2004 85
14 Daigasso! Band Brothers (Jam With The Band) 2004 84
15 Tetris DS 2006 84
16 Tony Hawk's American Sk8land 2005 84
17 Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 2006 83
18 Nintendogs: Chihuahua & Friends 2005 83
19 Nintendogs: Lab & Friends 2005 83
20 Clubhouse Games 2006 83
21 Nintendogs: Dalmatian & Friends 2006 83
22 Nintendogs: Dachshund & Friends 2005 83
23 Sonic Rush 2005 82
24 WarioWare: Touched! 2005 81
25 Yoshi's Island DS 2006 81
26 Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2005 81
27 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2005 81
28 Bomberman Land Touch! 2006 81
29 Age of Empires: The Age of Kings 2006 81
30 Jump Superstars 2005 80
31 Bleach DS: Souten ni Kakeru Unmei 2006 80
32 Metroid Prime Pinball 2005 79
33 Hotel Dusk: Room 215 2007 78
34 Ultimate Spider-Man 2005 78
35 Mega Man ZX 2006 78
36 Final Fantasy III 2006 77
37 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All 2007 76
38 Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 2006 76
39 Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! 2006 76
40 Puyo Pop Fever 2005 76

[quote name='io']Below are the top 40 games according to Metacritic. If that isn't reason enough to geta DS I don't know what is.

And damn, I have 26 of these (which is not bad considering some are imports, which I don't have, and there's 4 versions of Nintendogs on the list).

There's plenty of games below these in ranking that are excellent IMO as well (including Star Fox Command, Super Princess Peach, Big Brain Academy, Contact, Magical Starsign, etc).

1 Mario Kart DS 2005 91
2 Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2005 90
3 Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 2005 89
4 New Super Mario Bros. 2006 89
5 Meteos 2005 88
6 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2005 88
7 Elite Beat Agents 2006 86
8 Kirby: Canvas Curse 2005 86
9 Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 2006 86
10 Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time 2005 86
11 Animal Crossing: Wild World 2005 86
12 Metroid Prime: Hunters 2006 85
13 Super Mario 64 DS 2004 85
14 Daigasso! Band Brothers (Jam With The Band) 2004 84
15 Tetris DS 2006 84
16 Tony Hawk's American Sk8land 2005 84
17 Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 2006 83
18 Nintendogs: Chihuahua & Friends 2005 83
19 Nintendogs: Lab & Friends 2005 83
20 Clubhouse Games 2006 83
21 Nintendogs: Dalmatian & Friends 2006 83
22 Nintendogs: Dachshund & Friends 2005 83
23 Sonic Rush 2005 82
24 WarioWare: Touched! 2005 81
25 Yoshi's Island DS 2006 81
26 Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2005 81
27 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2005 81
28 Bomberman Land Touch! 2006 81
29 Age of Empires: The Age of Kings 2006 81
30 Jump Superstars 2005 80
31 Bleach DS: Souten ni Kakeru Unmei 2006 80
32 Metroid Prime Pinball 2005 79
33 Hotel Dusk: Room 215 2007 78
34 Ultimate Spider-Man 2005 78
35 Mega Man ZX 2006 78
36 Final Fantasy III 2006 77
37 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All 2007 76
38 Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 2006 76
39 Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! 2006 76
40 Puyo Pop Fever 2005 76[/quote]

Phoenix Wright and Justice for All so far on the list is a travesty.

I play it all the time. I have 30ish games for it and have had mine since launch. The fatty one, not the lite. I have never once thought of selling mine. Just stay away from Ping Pals.

[quote name='chodax']I was one of the people who bought a DS right about launch and sold it about a month after that because I didnt think it was worth it. I hear there is a lot of new good games out and was wondering if its worth getting. How much do you guys actually play it? And are any of the games fun online? (I used to own a PSP and the online community for all the games were 10 people max)[/quote]

i said the same thing. i got the fat ugly first gen DS when it had no games, and said aww man this thing sucks. when i DS lite came out i bought one of those and loved it...although i did lose it and there nowhere to be found these days

[quote name='Kendal']Just stay away from Ping Pals.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes, there is a dark side to the DS. Here are the bottom feeders on the metacritic rankings. Stay clear of these:

181 Burnout Legends 2005 38
182 Bubble Bobble Revolution 2006 38
183 Tenchu: Dark Secret 2006 37
184 Crash Boom Bang! 2006 36
185 Superman Returns: The Videogame 2006 36
186 ATV Quad Frenzy 2005 35
187 Real Time Conflict: Shogun Empires 2005 35
188 Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects 2005 34
189 Monster Trucks DS 2005 33
190 Dragon Booster 2005 33
191 Dino Master 2006 29
192 Ping Pals 2004 28
193 Peter Jackson's King Kong 2005 28

Reality's Fringe;2624868 said:
Nah. A couple of guys in gamestop told me it was gay. I have to agree with them.

Double post XD. why do u hate Nintendo so much? The only thing psp has on the DS are graphics.

-The Ds has better games(for gamers of course, not ignorant people who want to play nba live 06 on there way to get a drug test)
-The ds can also play movies! i forget what its called but there a 1 gig thingy the plugs into the Advance games slot

[quote name='assasin4hire']Double post XD. why do u hate Nintendo so much? The only thing psp has on the DS are graphics.

-The Ds has better games(for gamers of course, not ignorant people who want to play nba live 06 on there way to get a drug test)
-The ds can also play movies! i forget what its called but there a 1 gig thingy the plugs into the Advance games slot[/quote]Welcome to a crash course in RF's sarcasm, assasin4hire. ;)

While it suffers, like the GBA, from a flood of substandard games (mostly licensed kid's show stuff, and horrible PS2/PSP ports), there's also a lot of great stuff completely unlike what's available on other platforms. Definitely worth getting.

i sold my psp which i almost NEVER used for money towards a ds lite
so yes its worth it
i actually play my ds and i have more games for it than i ever did my psp:D

bread's done
Back