is gamefly worth it?

gamergyrl

CAG Veteran
I've been thinking about getting a subscription to gamefly, but recently, I've seen some negative reviews, for those of you who have gamefly, do you think it's worth the purchase? About how long does it take for you to get a game in the mail?

If they partnered with OnLive to provide a Disc + Streaming service similar to Netflix, then it would be worth it.

As it stands now? No.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Don't know how it is now, but they are supposed to get taken over by Netflix so it should be really good in the future.[/QUOTE]

Supposed by who? Where is your source?

It really depends on how close a distribution center is to you. In the past, Gamefly only had a handful of centers, so if you didn't live nearby one of these, it could take up to a week for you to send in one game (and another full week to get a new one back in the mail).

Even if you have a center nearby, you may get waitlisted on any number of new games at a given time (just like with movie DVDs through the mail). On the other hand, you could simply try the service out for a month and see what you think. It would only cost you $20-$30 (depending on the plan you try).

It cost me about $18 a month for the cheapest plan. At the most I would get 3 games a month, usually 2. I mostly rented games I would not ever buy and played each game about 3-4 days. With more and more new/not used games hitting the $20 and less price range and a growing backlog. I don't think Gamefly is worth it anymore. That is why I quit.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Don't know how it is now, but they are supposed to get taken over by Netflix so it should be really good in the future.[/QUOTE]

what?!

It all depends on how many games you play. If you play/buy a lot of games then its most definitely worth it regardless of how long it takes for games to get to you. For the cost of three full priced games you can have gamefly for a year and have access to a lot more games. I've had gamefly for years now and love it.

this RUMOR has been going on for years... Gamefly and Netflix have no plans to merger anytime in the future... There is no reason for them to and they have no reason to....

i say if you can get 1 game per month you would buy anyways then yes its worth it,...

Im at 1 at a time yearly plan (12.50 per month) i figure that is what i would lose buying one game per month..

buy a game for 30 play it beat it and be lucky to get 15 out of it....

[quote name='slidecage']this RUMOR has been going on for years... Gamefly and Netflix have no plans to merger anytime in the future... There is no reason for them to and they have no reason to....

i say if you can get 1 game per month you would buy anyways then yes its worth it,...

Im at 1 at a time yearly plan (12.50 per month) i figure that is what i would lose buying one game per month..

buy a game for 30 play it beat it and be lucky to get 15 out of it....[/QUOTE]

How do you get $12.50/month? Mine is $15.95 for one out..

[quote name='Sinfulfate']It all depends on how many games you play. If you play/buy a lot of games then its most definitely worth it regardless of how long it takes for games to get to you. For the cost of three full priced games you can have gamefly for a year and have access to a lot more games. I've had gamefly for years now and love it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, 100%. If you're a hardcore gamer with lots of free time to dedicate to gaming and like to skip from game to game, go for it. It will save you a lot of money in the long run, especially on games that do not have a lot of replay value. There have been so many really good games that I would have bought, beat in a week, and never played again and/or sold for a fraction of the price of the game. The only caveat that I would add, though, is see how far you are from one of their shipping centers. I am only one state over from their Pittsburgh facility, and there are times where I definitely get annoyed at the turnaround. I can only imagine it would be a bit more frustrating if you lived in the middle of the country. But of course, you can always get a free trial, so do that and see how the turnaround is.

If you tend to stick to one game for a long time (like playing CoD online a lot) and/or are casual about gaming, skip it. It's not worth it.

As far as Netflix buying GameFly, that seems like one of those rumors that started on a message board somewhere and just took off, just because people want it to be true. The reality is, Netflix runs a different business than GameFly. Yeah, they both rent out discs with media on them, but the type of media makes it completely different. I really doubt Netflix would want to get into the gaming business.

[quote name='Scorch']How do you get $12.50/month? Mine is $15.95 for one out..[/QUOTE]

yearly plan.. pay the entire bill once a year....

[quote name='Scorch']How do you get $12.50/month? Mine is $15.95 for one out..[/QUOTE]
Use the current 20% off deal and get a 1 year membership. I have had a subscription the last few years and it is a good service for me.

There is a little bit of a learning curve on how to get the games you want and not just stuff from the very bottom of your list. If you do some searching you should be able to find some useful tips.

Depending on how long you have been a member you get a discount on used games. The also give you a $5 credit each quarter towards used games. This can be used to flip some games. For example I used the credit to buy Backbreaker Football for $3 and sold to Amazon for $9.

I would say it is well worth it and it usually takes me two days to receive a game from when they ship it.

I have never used Gamefly so I can't comment on the timing of sending/receiving games, but I definitely don't think it is worth it for me.

At $16/month you are basically paying the same as if you were to buy 1-2 games a month. Considering that I don't have enough time to beat more than this (especially if it is a game that takes more than 20 hours to beat) and I like playing games where online play is huge (CoD, Gears of War, etc) I find it to be a better deal for me to just buy games. This doesn't even take into account that you can sell your games and get credit or cash back.

If you have tons of time or like shorter games then I could see it as being worth it. Even then, it is pretty borderline in my book and you need to be playing a new game every 2 weeks at minimum to get a good value out of it.

I love Gamefly been with them for years. A while ago (I don't remember exactly how long) there was a big problem in the east coast due to some shady postal worker that was stealing the games. They had a sting and managed to arrest the guy. After that it got much better.

I live in PA and it usually takes about 2 days to get a game, sometimes one. (they have a distribution center in Pittsburgh) If you live close enough to a center you are golden.

Every three months they give you $5 you can spend on used games.

I love em, however, YMMV.

I highly recommend it if you like to play single player games that are short (6-10 hours) with no replay. You really save a lot of money, unless you are the type of person that likes to add to the collection.

I havent had it, but seems too high for me. Unless you just want a ton of old games to get achievements on or something. Then a short 2-3 month subscription might workout decent. New games id rather purchase.

Absolutely not.

I've given them several chances, and every time I remember why I quit before. I made a queue of maybe 20 games, and I'd say no more than 5 were ever anything other than "long wait." They'll send whatever is available, which defeats the purpose of choosing an order in which to receive things. Add the shipping times of up to one week, and it makes little economical sense compared to just buying a cheap game each month.

Fantastic place to buy used games from during their sales, though.

Just started gamefly recently (2 game plan, used tellapal to get the first two months for the price of one). I live near Orlando and there is a distribution center in Tampa. Once I get an email that a game has been shipped, it takes an additional two days for it to arrive (so if they send on Monday, I get it Wednesday). Their processing of returns seems to be slow though. I returned two games Thrusday and they only reported receiving one the following Monday. Finally the following Thursday I had to pester them with a "this game may have been lost in the mail" email and suddenly I get a response "oh, we got that game". I think they're trying to throttle me... there was no reason for the delay between returns since I mailed both games back at the same time. If this continues I will cancel after the two month promo ends.

If only Netflix rented games...

i dont think its worth it because my experience was that every game i wanted was always low or medium and one time i put 3 high games at the top of my list yet they sent me a game that was like 12th on the list its pretty frustrating

I think it is very much worth it. The only thing you are gonna get with opinions is anecdotal evidence. It either sucks or it works for you. I've gotten games on time, sent them back, got a new game... great service.

PM for referall link if interested ;)

[quote name='nnthomas']I think it is very much worth it. The only thing you are gonna get with opinions is anecdotal evidence. It either sucks or it works for you. I've gotten games on time, sent them back, got a new game... great service.

PM for referall link if interested ;)
[/QUOTE]
Don't trust anyone who says gamefly is worth it AND includes a referral in his/her post (the referrer receives $20 for signing you up).

No mention of the Blockbuster plan? I'm sure Gamefly has a better selection, but Blockbuster allows games with their online plan now. I think it's 11.99 for one game, 16.99 for two games, and 19.99 for three games. I must admit I haven't tried it yet, but I would try that out before Gamefly. I also believe that you can return the games for in-store movie rentals. So you can use it for a game only plan, then use the returns for your movie plan. This would also cut shipping time since a game delivered to the store counts as "delivered" to them so they will ship the next game out immediately. They also offer a 2 week free trial if your not completely sold on using blockbuster.

I actually just restarted mine. I live in Pittsburgh, so its pretty quick turn around. They also just started using the system that Netflix uses where the Post Office scans the game as soon as they receive it, so GameFly will send you the next game before they get it back.

The wait time has been cut nearly in half by this and they seem to be much better about providing newer games at a faster rate. I got DKC Returns on Day 1, same with Goldeneye 007 and a few others recently. They've won me back a year after I canceled them.

bread's done
Back