Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier - Gen. Discussion & Info

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
According to SCEA/High Impact Games, this is NOT a joke.
Jak and Daxter are back. No, this isn't an April Fools Day joke; no, this isn't another racing game; and no, this isn't another spin-off. This is Jack and Daxter: The Lost Frontier, the next chapter in the storied franchise.

Set for a simultaneous release this fall on the PSP and PlayStation 2, the Lost Frontier picks up where the series left off and puts you back behind the controls of Jak in a third-person platforming/action/vehicle adventure. It's being developed by High Impact games -- the folks behind Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank -- and described on the PlayStation Blog as a tale that takes our heroes "all the way to the edge of the world. There they must battle their way past air pirates and sinister creatures in their quest to find a cure for the world's eco shortage."

Aching to know more than the basic facts Sony's been nice enough to dole out? Well, as luck would have it, IGN is going to have the first look at the title this afternoon. That's right, scope out IGN PSP or IGN PS2 around 3 p.m. PST today, and your socks should be rocked.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/968/968602p1.html

It's for PSP and PS2. While the graphics don't look as good as Jak on PS2, keep in mind the two things:
-The game is being design to work on PSP, PS2, and an 80GB PS3 which has PS2 BC (there's certain specs devs have to follow)
-This is being developed by High Impact Games (makers of R&C Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank), who is a small team, and their engine greatly resembles their last two games (which was definitely not as good as J&D).

Being a Jak fan, I'll definitely buy it on PSP (I honestly wish there wasn't a PS2 version, but with SCEA trying to maximize profits as much as they can right now, they will bring games to all platforms).

Here is the PR release:
Jak and DaxterTM reunite for a brand new sky-high adventure!

The legendary duo are back in action for Jak and DaxterTM: The Lost Frontier on both PSPTM (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®2

London, 01st April 2009: Hero Jak and his mischievous sidekick Daxter are back together… and for the first time-ever they’ve joined forces on PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable). Get set for the latest addition to the smash-hit Jak and Daxter™ series, Jak and Daxter™: The Lost Frontier from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Prepare for non-stop action and adventure as the duo travel across mysterious lands and take to the sky on a mission to save their planet from destruction. Take this incredible adventure with you anywhere on your PSP™, or play it at home with PlayStation®2 – both out this autumn for PAL territories.

Picking up from where the original Jak and Daxter trilogy left off, Jak and furry friend Daxter team up with their friend Kiera on her quest to become a Sage and save their world from the threat of darkness. As the environment of their planet slowly dies, our two worldly heroes embark on a mission to protect their world from the threat of “dark eco”.

Beginning on foot, you’ll run and jump across undiscovered lands, before taking flight in one of five different aircrafts. With cheeky Daxter and our serious Hero Jak together on the adventure, fun and laugher is never far away. Blast airborne enemies and battle sky pirates with your powerful Gunstaff – a brand-new weapon that can transform into other new weapons.

Since launching in 2001, the Jak and Daxter franchise is an ongoing success story with nearly 6 million units sold across PAL territories and seven Guinness World Records under its belt. All five titles, including the Jak and Daxter trilogy, follow Jak and Daxter’s journey as they strive to strike a balance between the light and dark eco on their planet.

The latest installment takes players to the long awaited “Lost Frontier” reached by the much-loved Jak and Daxter. Get set for a sky-high, laugh out loud and colourful new adventure with Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier. The future of their planet is in your hands with PSP - or save the day at home with PlayStation 2. Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier will be released on both platforms this Autumn. To find out more, please visit www.playstation.com

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']It has been confirmed, the images are from the PSP version. It appears this game is being built around the strengths of PSP, which is good.

IGN now has a preview up:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/968/968664p1.html[/quote]

Still not believing anything until the 2nd comes and all these stories are still there without April Fools attached to them. :bomb:

I am VERY disappointed with this news. Jak and Daxter deserves a PS3 release. I really hope that this is false.

[quote name='pop311']I am VERY disappointed with this news. Jak and Daxter deserves a PS3 release. I really hope that this is false.[/QUOTE]The devs confirmed in the PS Blog the news isn't fake. There's a reason it isn't a PS3 release yet.

Actually, Daxter was released on PSP, so I don't see anything wrong about that. Many were complaining Sony wasn't releasing enough PSP games (gave PS3 too much support), and when we see games come to PSP, people are complaining they are not on PS3. Regardless, High Impact Games is a small team. They are not made for PS3 development (Their kind of like Insomniac's B team in a way, due to having some former Insomniac employees), strictly PSP and PS2 development. PSP and PS2 are still technically alive (especially PSP, look at all the new games it gets). The game was actually listed as a trademark long ago and there were rumors about Jak on PSP.

And I also think Sony looks at it as since the PS3 still has a high pricetag, platformers struggle to sell on PS3 right now (Ratchet did all right, but even it took a huge fall from last gen). That's why ND, Sucker Punch, and even Insomniac have tried making different games mostly since they see the PS3 appealing to the hardcore more right now. Down the road when the PS3 price comes down, we may see more platformers and such. If there is a Jak that comes to PS3, it would be made by Naughty Dog (although who knows because most of the original staff heavily involved with creating Jak are gone) or Ready At Dawn (who has some former ND members, who also made Daxter on PSP).

These comments says its not April Fools:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/01/jak-daxter-are-back/comment-page-1/#comment-196920

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/01/jak-daxter-are-back/comment-page-5/#comment-197266

Can't wait for this. Makes me want to go play Daxter that I got with my slim silver PSP. Good to see the PSP getting another game I'd looking forward to.

Daxter was alot of fun and based on IGN's preview this sounds like a blast! I'm all for another Grade-A platformer on the PSP.

[quote name='daflubby']I'll buy it, but I truly wish they could have made the jump to PS3.[/QUOTE]If there's a PS3 J&D game, the trick is just who is going to develop it? Right now ND is busy with Uncharted (they only do one game at a time) and its original creators are no longer at ND (like Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin, who had a lot to do with the PS2 Jak games, although Rubin left just before Jak 3 released and Gavin left after Jak X). Ready At Dawn has a lot of former ND employees, but it appears they are now working on a PS3/360 game. High Impact Games isn't larger enough to make a PS3/360, higher budget retail game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pop311']I am VERY disappointed with this news. Jak and Daxter deserves a PS3 release. I really hope that this is false.[/QUOTE]

I'm disappointed too.

I mean, I'm sure I'll play this, but I wanted a PS3 Jak game.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm disappointed too.

I mean, I'm sure I'll play this, but I wanted a PS3 Jak game.[/QUOTE]Since Sony doesn't plan to drop the price of PS3 for quite a while, Jak probably won't come to PS3 (as a full retail game) until its priced to reach a wider audience. That's part of the reason we saw Insomniac make Resistance first, Naughty Dog make Uncharted (outside of mostly new developers), and Sucker Punch make inFAMOUS. They are trying to make games to appeal to an older audience first, and maybe after a while when the PS3 price decreases and becomes more mass market appeal, we'll see previous IPs. But there's also the trick of who would develop a new Jak game:

-Most key ND employees who handled Jak are gone (Rubin no longer develops games. No idea where Gavin is. and they are busy with Uncharted (if Uncharted 2 sells well and there's still more to the story, ND might just make a 3rd next. Naughty Dog did make 3 main Crash games, 3 main Jak games, etc.). ND even stated themselves they can only do one game at a time (based on their size, compared to Insomniac who can kind of do two).

-Ready At Dawn wouldn't be too bad of a fit (having a former Naughty Dog employee lead their company, and they did an excellent job with Daxter), but after their PS3/360 project, they might go back to PSP development (well, that's the word we are hearing around).

-High Impact Games (makers of this game) is too small/lower funded to create a full blown Jak retail game (maybe if they continue to expand, it will be more possible, but SCEA will probably have them stick to PSP development).

The rumors from EVERYONE (but Sony) is that a price drop is going to be announced at or around E3 and will go into affect sometime after June. $299 is my sweet spot right now...

It just seems like the person who played it wasn't all that familiar with the series, because there was never a true lock-on and the game isn't intended to be like Daxter (more like J&D). I'll probably love it.

I highly disagree what they said about Secret Agent Clank, since I really enjoyed it.

Sounds good to me. I don't see why they're complaining about the opening cutscene. Jak 2 and 3 were pretty story heavy which is part of the reason I really liked them.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...er-hitting-shelves-november-3-on-psp-and-ps2/

It'll be out on November 3 and here's the boxart:

3996030964_8e7560d6ac.jpg

I always thought the game was best during the first part. Part 2 sucked and 3 was irritating in many spots. I trudged through them but highly prefer R&C for my action platforming. I'll wait to see some videos first.

Cool coverart.

I'm undecided on PSP or PS2 though. Looks like PS2 will be $10 cheaper though which has me leaning towards it.

Man. I wish they would put a Jak & Dexter game on PS3. The first one is still one of my favorite games.

I'll get it after price drop. High Impact didn't do that bad with R&C. I just can't justify myself buying this for 40 bucks on PSP.

[quote name='whoknows']Then pay $30 on the PS2![/QUOTE]
My PS2 crapped out and I rather play a PSP game on a PSP rather than a PS2.

The game shouldn't even be $40. That's too much for a handheld game.

[quote name='Blackout']The game shouldn't even be $40. That's too much for a handheld game.[/QUOTE]

The initial release price should be reflective of the effort that went into making the game and the quality of the game that is delivered to the consumer, i.e. able to justify that $40 price tag.

I don't like it when reviewers say a game is better because it was released at a budget price. Crap is crap at any price.

But since we are all cheap asses here, many of us will wait for a sale or the eventual price drop.

Hopefully High Impact will deliver like they did with Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and can equal or exceed what Ready at Dawn did with Daxter. I do have high expectations for this game.

previews:
http://www.psxextreme.com/psp-previews/150.html
http://psp.ign.com/articles/102/1028143p1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkenO1RdAqM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4BfgTrAqRc

Let me bump this thread back up. I just played the demo from PSN today. I think the gameplay for a PSP game is great. Contains all the platforming and combat you'll find in the originals. Story is a little cheesy but it may work out later. Looks like a good purchase when its on sale for discount.

[quote name='FroMann']Looks like a good purchase when its on sale for discount.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if I end up buying the game it will definitely be due to a significant price drop or sale.

The demo was okay, though I really liked the flight combat part of the game a lot. The platforming and gun/melee combat was a bit underwhelming, mostly for the lack of a strafe button to keep the camera in a good position. I didn't notice that the d-pad was used for anything outside of the flight stuff, so I don't know why that's not the strafe controls since the camera can be really bad at times in close quarters.

The precursor orb hunts were frustrating since it seemed like the devs figured out the best time anyone on the team could do and made you compete with that on a few of them. I got a few of them with less than a second left and others seemed really easy when I got a ton of time remaining. I don't really get the point of the precursor orb hunts beyond it being an arbitrary mini-game.

I'm definately keeping an eye on this game but, just like Rachet and Clank/Secret Agent Clank before it, it seems destined for the Target clearance rack.

Y'know what's maddening? The fact that pretty much everyone other than Sony and Square-Enix understand that the price point for portable games is supposed to be $30 or less.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite has like 2 or 3 times the content of just about anything short of an MMORPG and it came out at $30. $40 for games like this and Motorstorm Arctic-whatever is pretty unreasonable.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm definately keeping an eye on this game but, just like Rachet and Clank/Secret Agent Clank before it, it seems destined for the Target clearance rack.

Y'know what's maddening? The fact that pretty much everyone other than Sony and Square-Enix understand that the price point for portable games is supposed to be $30 or less.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite has like 2 or 3 times the content of just about anything short of an MMORPG and it came out at $30. $40 for games like this and Motorstorm Arctic-whatever is pretty unreasonable.[/QUOTE]
Looking at Amazon's recent and new releases lists, Atlus, Sony, Square Enix, Rockstar, EA, THQ, Namco, Capcom, and Ubisoft are all doing the $40 dance when none of it should be $40 in the first place. It's not the one or two publishers you're making it out to be, but most everyone that's making a big title for the PSP.

Yeah, I guess its the Sony releases that I notice it the most with. Maybe because they're not (I assume) charging themselves for things like dev kits and licensing fees so they should be able to release their games at $30 and still profit. Doubly so with titles like Motorstorm and J&D where they're also pulling a PS2 port out of the deal. That said, I'm guilty of helping to a certain degree, I used GS credit to buy Gran Turismo at launch.

I have played this game.And it is a good game for the PSP.Graphics could be better but game play is fun.

played the demo and its pretty fun. same old jak and dakie. the flight controls are a little weird at first and sometimes it was really hard for me to shoot down enemy planes. orb hunt is ridiculous. i'll wait to get this game its not a must play for me. i need to cut back and save money anyways plus the backlog needs to be handled.

on a side note how long will the jak series go for? 6 games later and there still hunting for eco and daxter still hasnt been changed back into human form. how long before they run this to the ground like the crash games where no one cares anymore.

bread's done
Back