Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
SNK Heroines LE's are up for pre-order at NISA (PS4 and Switch)

https://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/snk-heroines
This might be the first NISA Store CE I buy since Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. Everything looks really neat, but will take a ton of confidence pulling off that Mai tank top.

Also, I hope Angel, Shermie, and Alice will eventually be revealed for the roster.

Edit: This was kinda funny:
c4e.png

This might be the first NISA Store CE I buy since Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. Everything looks really neat, but will take a ton of confidence pulling off that Mai tank top.
Yeah, that's a pretty cool set for sure, but way out of my price range. Clothes of any king in CE are really useless for me, as I'll never wear any of that stuff. They should have offered a much cheaper set with the art book and OST only. This set is beyond niche for the subject matter, as well as the cost. I can't see them producing these in very high numbers, so those interested should grab them while they can.

Is the FromSoft teaser from the Game Awards really Dark Souls remastered? If so, that's fucking weak. 

Especially since it's gonna run on the Dark Souls 3 engine, which means no poise 4u. 

TWEWY Final Remix is a great announcement at least. 

Hyped for TWEWY since I never played it on the DS and Kirby. Everything else was as expected, personally, because about ten months ago I was predicting that the majority of the Switch library would be ports - especially of Wii U games. But the amount of butthurt the Direct caused was grand and highly amusing indeed.

Even though it was expected on my end I was still hoping for a greater show to held tide us over the apparent lackluster Q1 and Q2 that 2018 will seemingly have, for the Switch at least.

Hyped for TWEWY since I never played it on the DS and Kirby. Everything else was as expected, personally, because about ten months ago I was predicting that the majority of the Switch library would be ports - especially of Wii U games. But the amount of butthurt the Direct caused was grand and highly amusing indeed.

Even though it was expected on my end I was still hoping for a greater show to held tide us over the apparent lackluster Q1 and Q2 that 2018 will seemingly have, for the Switch at least.
Yeah, I can't fault them for offering Wii U reboots, as no one played most of the titles the first time around. And while the Wii U had a rather small overall library, it did have some really good games that deserve another shot at a wider audience.

"N" has been playing the redo game for years, so no reason to think it would stop now. What sucks most is the full retail pricing, as most games like this offered on other systems normally come with added features and reduced cost.

Also, I hope Angel, Shermie, and Alice will eventually be revealed for the roster.

Edit: This was kinda funny:
c4e.png
Americans cant handle it and most will complain/get triggered about the sexiness on Twitter

For those interested in that SNK Heroines game it should be noted that in the English video the guy says:

"Activate a variety of moves in battle with just one button."

I'm hoping this is a mistranslation or something because that sounds extremely casual.  I was hoping for a more traditional SNK fighting system (similar to Gals Fighters, the Neo Geo Pocket Color game that this is like a spiritual successor to).  If special attacks are just mashing on a single button I'm not gonna be too happy to be honest.

Nice to see Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong being ported to the Switch, should be good for those that missed out on them for Wii U.

Now all I want is Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X to be brought over. Then I will no longer feel the need for any more Wii U ports.

I would have pay 119+ if I want a retail copy of SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy. Nice going NISA. The contents dont even warrant that price tag. If it had a figure of Mai, sure. But a fking towel and a shirt? Shit. That artbook better be 200+ artbooj and not the crap that is 20 pages

Looks like Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is coming to PC on February 1st.

[customspoiler='PC Exclusive Features/Options']
60FPS - Ivalice will look better than ever with the game running at 60FPS.
Compatible with 21:9 ultra-wide monitors - Up to three HD monitors can be used for a potential 48(16x3):9 experience.
New Game Plus and New Game Minus - Post-game content modes are now accessible from the beginning of the game.
Three background music options – The original, re-orchestrated and soundtrack versions are now available from the beginning of the game. (Technically available on PS4 if you bought the Steelbook or CE version)
Maximized License Points and Gil - New functionality added to grant players max License Points and Gil from the configuration screen.
Full controller support, Steam Trading Cards and more to optimize the PC player experience.[/customspoiler]

Will be $50 with a 20% discount the first week. There's also a [customspoiler='collectors edition']
GN0zt9f.jpg
[/customspoiler] that comes with a steelbook as well. Exclusive through the Square-Enix Store of course. Looks to be the same as the CE that the PS4 version had.

Nice to see Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong being ported to the Switch, should be good for those that missed out on them for Wii U.

Now all I want is Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X to be brought over. Then I will no longer feel the need for any more Wii U ports.
Wonderful 101 still needs to make jump. Not nearly enough people played that.

There was also a Fatal Frame game, I think.

Held off on buying FF XII when it was $15 a week or so in hopes it would come to PC.

Now I have to wait for the PC price to drop...

Then I'll buy it and never play it. Just like the other remasters I own.

Make sure you know the difficulty issues before hand, as it's not for the faint of heart. LOL

I owned the original years ago, and ended up selling it, as I knew I wasn't up to the task based on friends reviews. The difficulty is part of the draw, and for those who don't mind it, it's apparently a very good game.
Dark Souls is probably in my top 5 games of last gen. It's a difficult game but it rarely feels unfair. Rushing in usually leads to your death.
Also if you're having trouble in the beginning pick the pyromancy class. It'll give you a fire spell that does a lot of damage.

For those interested in that SNK Heroines game it should be noted that in the English video the guy says:

I'm hoping this is a mistranslation or something because that sounds extremely casual. I was hoping for a more traditional SNK fighting system (similar to Gals Fighters, the Neo Geo Pocket Color game that this is like a spiritual successor to). If special attacks are just mashing on a single button I'm not gonna be too happy to be honest.
I'm guessing it's an optional mode, maybe like Bayonetta 2's easy settings.

..Or maybe they just expect a lot of people to play one handed.

Looks like Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is coming to PC on February 1st.

[customspoiler='PC Exclusive Features/Options']
60FPS - Ivalice will look better than ever with the game running at 60FPS.
Compatible with 21:9 ultra-wide monitors - Up to three HD monitors can be used for a potential 48(16x3):9 experience.
New Game Plus and New Game Minus - Post-game content modes are now accessible from the beginning of the game.
Three background music options – The original, re-orchestrated and soundtrack versions are now available from the beginning of the game. (Technically available on PS4 if you bought the Steelbook or CE version)
Maximized License Points and Gil - New functionality added to grant players max License Points and Gil from the configuration screen.
Full controller support, Steam Trading Cards and more to optimize the PC player experience.[/customspoiler]

Will be $50 with a 20% discount the first week. There's also a [customspoiler='collectors edition']
GN0zt9f.jpg
[/customspoiler] that comes with a steelbook as well. Exclusive through the Square-Enix Store of course. Looks to be the same as the CE that the PS4 version had.
Might say goodbye to my (opened but unplayed) PS4 copy. Say, does that CE come with the soundtrack on blu-ray so it has...you know...the Whole score on it? Or is it just another one of those samplers?

Update: I just saw some unboxing videos and it has the old Compact Disc logo so I take it it's just a sampler CD. Guess I'll pass on the CE again.

Wonderful 101 still needs to make jump. Not nearly enough people played that.

There was also a Fatal Frame game, I think.
Ah, you're right. I forgot about the Wonderful 101. I really liked that one, let's add it to the port list as well.

Fatal Frame was kinda....meh. But I wouldn't mind if they ported it as well.

whew.  Well that Nintendo Direct was disappointing.   Methinks its going to be a slow first half of the year for the Switch.  They sure crammed a lot into 2017.  Especially all that third party stuff they got on the shelves just in time for Christmas. 

Time to get to work on my backlog.  I'm finally playing through Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR.   It's fun. 

whew. Well that Nintendo Direct was disappointing. Methinks its going to be a slow first half of the year for the Switch. They sure crammed a lot into 2017. Especially all that third party stuff they got on the shelves just in time for Christmas.

Time to get to work on my backlog. I'm finally playing through Horizon Zero Dawn on 4K HDR. It's fun.
Yeah at first I was kind of excited seeing a bunch of games that I enjoyed...but then it's just that, a bunch of games I already played. Conflicting feelings at my core.

NISA posted this regarding SNK WAIFU Battles

[media]https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/951595144087613440[/media]

It goes without saying that I'm all in on the SNK waifus.

Not a boob guy but Mai is my first fap (I think?) after all.
Interesting... Good to know. I can't even remember mine.

I'm hoping this is a mistranslation or something because that sounds extremely casual. I was hoping for a more traditional SNK fighting system (similar to Gals Fighters, the Neo Geo Pocket Color game that this is like a spiritual successor to). If special attacks are just mashing on a single button I'm not gonna be too happy to be honest.
I'm gonna guess it's like Rising Thunder, that indie fighting game with robots. Where you could do special moves with one button and a direction, but the normal attacks and combos work the same, just no more quarter circle inputs. I loved how it worked in mobile fighting games like Street Fighter 4 Volt, and King of Fighters 13 Mobile, so if they implement it right, it might be a pretty smooth experience. And I've always regarded KOF having super difficult inputs, like pretzel motion for supers in the old games. And the cancel timing for special moves always felt too strict for me. So hopefully this will keep the depth of the game, but let the combos be easier to execute.

Wouldn't that be sexual assault?
tumblr_mi7rw6vURV1rixwdqo1_500.gif

I've been playing Nier for the first time these last few days. I really, really wish I'd played it before Automata, because it plays like crusty ass, but the world and story are great all around. 

I've been playing Nier for the first time these last few days. I really, really wish I'd played it before Automata, because it plays like crusty ass, but the world and story are great all around.
Should really say that before playing any sequel of sorts, kind of like say playing KH2 first and trying to play KH1. This one though is mainly cause Platinum games rocks to make the action so much better in the PS4 one.

Should really say that before playing any sequel of sorts, kind of like say playing KH2 first and trying to play KH1. This one though is mainly cause Platinum games rocks to make the action so much better in the PS4 one.
I always meant to play it when it came out, but I just never did. Then I couldn't resist Automata + Platinum. There are a lot of story things I skipped in Automata because of their relation to Nier, so a lot of it is still a mystery to me. I wish I'd known the name I created at the start was going to be the guy's name. Now I'm stuck playing a gruff guy named 2Booty

snk heroines sounds awesome. Hope classic input is an option for moves. CE is tempting since kof never gets a big ce but i already have Terry's hat, which is funny since he's not even included.

You can get amazon to adjust the price if it didn't ship but it isn't automatically adjusted at time of shipping unless it is a pre-order.  You will have to contact support and have them adjust the price.  Best to do a web chat and get sent the transcript to dispute if they don't adjust it after charge/shipping.  My order that I put in about 2 weeks ago just shipped today.  1/8/18 I spoke to chat to get my price adjusted and was told I would get the lowest price at time of shipping.  I was charged full price. I just finished opening another chat and got the difference applied to my account as amazon credit.

I could not find in any of the policies that they will not price adjust to their current listings current lower price if it hasn't shipped/charged.  And Price match polices only describe preorders, after purchase, or from other seller.

Needs more screens of Futaba. Still can tell her exact design for P5DSN, looks too similar to her in-game winter jacket and shorts.

bread's done
Back