Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes me REALLY freaking glad he's not working on the DMC series anymore as many GOW fans will tell you that they hate the direction that series is headed.

Tell me Kamiya, how is it "novel" to replace ones identity and copy other gaming trends, especially from other genres like the Last of Us (which is what GOW is doing)? It makes no sense, DMC is already novel, it basically created its own genre, there is nothing else like it. The fact that he doesn't understand that makes me realize that he simply doesn't get what makes DMC great and well liked and I'm glad he's not working on the series and itsuno is.

/end rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn2TeQwEE7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc-4upnHH4w

Detective Pikachu is coming out in march and it seems to also be a physical release. Also has giant amiibo

Yesterday XSeed posted a teaser tweet that they updated their banner logo to include three silhouetted games. From left to right, it looks like the three games are English Detective Mysteria (Otome VN), Senran Kagura: Burst Re:Newal (Remake) and Ys: Memories of Celceta. First game is probably Vita and maybe a PC port? Second is PS4 and at some point it will likely have a PC port as well. Last is probably a PC port.

These were kinda teased back in December, but only one was really properly guessed to my knowledge. All should line up with official art from those games.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/951652242074947586

Now I just want to know who's getting Cold Steel III. If it's XSeed, we won't likely hear about it anytime soon. If it's NISA, then we'll likely hear about it relatively soon and I'll proceed to cry myself to sleep for a good week or so.

Now I just want to know who's getting Cold Steel III. If it's XSeed, we won't likely hear about it anytime soon. If it's NISA, then we'll likely hear about it relatively soon and I'll proceed to cry myself to sleep for a good week or so.
My hope is this: If Falcom learned anything from the Ys VIII fiasco, it's that they should have stuck with XSeed, or at the very least, think twice before using NISA again.

This wouldnt had been a problem if fking NISA actually did quality control and proofread their shit before release.
This^

EDIT: They probably spend most of their free time and money censoring games, instead of actually doing what is mentioned above.

Yeah, NISA's quality control is absolutely horrendous. Both on the translation side and on the programming side. How they always end up introducing bugs during a localization and then almost never fix them is beyond me.

My hope is this: If Falcom learned anything from the Ys VIII fiasco, it's that they should have stuck with XSeed, or at the very least, think twice before using NISA again.
One can only hope that's the case. Japan has a weird forgiveness culture that's quite a bit different than ours, so I could potentially see them getting a second chance. I honestly don't think they'll get the Trails series with how interlinked all the games are and Falcom understands this, but every time mistranslated articles pop up I feel the need to remind myself of that. I could see them getting the next Ys or a different Falcom title quite easily though.

It was pretty amusing hearing about some of the voice actors for the Cold Steel games writing an informal letter/petition to Falcom saying that if anybody other than XSeed gets the Trails series, they will not reprise their roles. This was in response to Ys VIII as well.

The Nintendo Direct was cool. Favorite part is, easily, the SNK Heroines game. Always down for more fighters.

The Wii U library of exclusives is whittling down. I would really like to see ports of Xenoblade 1 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions without the censorship. That would be a nice acknowledgement and apology one of their many mistakes last gen.

it would have been funny if they announced a Switch Port of Star Fox Zero instead of an actual, legitimate sequel

it would have been funny if they announced a Switch Port of Star Fox Zero
Star Fox Zero relied too heavily on the dual-screen support for it's control scheme, and that control scheme was not optional. It wouldn't actually work on the Switch, the core game would have to be redesigned, and would have to toss out most of the dual-screen gameplay. I imagine most fans would be fine with that, as that was what most everyone complained about with the game.

I think a new Star Fox game would be a better idea for the Switch, even if they ended up re-using a lot of assets from Star Fox Zero.

Star Fox Zero relied too heavily on the dual-screen support for it's control scheme, and that control scheme was not optional. It wouldn't actually work on the Switch, the core game would have to be redesigned, and would have to toss out most of the dual-screen gameplay. I imagine most fans would be fine with that, as that was what most everyone complained about with the game.

I think a new Star Fox game would be a better idea for the Switch, even if they ended up re-using a lot of assets from Star Fox Zero.
I was being sarcastic.

Nintendo choosing to do a Switch Port of Zero instead of an actual new Star Fox game? Absurd. But Nintendo can surprise and make questionable decisions.

Yeah, NISA's quality control is absolutely horrendous. Both on the translation side and on the programming side. How they always end up introducing bugs during a localization and then almost never fix them is beyond me.
I'm still bitter about Ar Tonelico 2 and Witch and the Hundred Knight. The latter especially, since they released the PS4 version with almost the same collectibles, but refused to patch the PS3 version.

Yesterday XSeed posted a teaser tweet that they updated their banner logo to include three silhouetted games. From left to right, it looks like the three games are English Detective Mysteria (Otome VN), Senran Kagura: Burst Re:Newal (Remake) and Ys: Memories of Celceta. First game is probably Vita and maybe a PC port? Second is PS4 and at some point it will likely have a PC port as well. Last is probably a PC port.

These were kinda teased back in December, but only one was really properly guessed to my knowledge. All should line up with official art from those games.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/951652242074947586

I was wondering what became of the Ys: Memories of Celceta hint that Xseed tweeted about like...two years ago. Was the first Falcom game I played and finished and introduced me to...well all things Falcom.

This wouldnt had been a problem if fking NISA actually did quality control and proofread their shit before release.
Well I gotta say, NISA is bad but Aksys wasn't a whole lot better. I do wonder who was worse...

If Aksys and NISA are off the list that pretty much leaves Atlus/Sega or Bamco (which kinda messed up the prior three Legend of Heroes games before the Kiseki arc, so I have heard). I wonder how Sega or Atlus would handle a Falcom game...

Maybe just Atlus; Sega tends to hate its own fans going off by what they did to Sonic and 2017's lackluster Valkyria Revolution. I'm still like, "Really Sega?" when I think about how the Future Tone DX version basically has a couple of new songs on a disc...if the game's even on that disc.
With that said I'll still buy it. Because I am an idiot.

It was pretty amusing hearing about some of the voice actors for the Cold Steel games writing an informal letter/petition to Falcom saying that if anybody other than XSeed gets the Trails series, they will not reprise their roles. This was in response to Ys VIII as well.
Did that really happen? I'm not in the Discord group for the Falcom fandom and apparently it seemed to kind of fade away. The rumor seemed to get the fanbase split up all over the place irrc reading some tweeters.

Xseed's been rather quiet and I believe certain active projects are coming to a close? Zwei Arges Adventure is out in a couple of weeks. I'm sure Cold Steel II is going to be out soon...wouldn't be surprised if it comes out by early February.

I wonder if there's sorta a monkey wrench in the works though...that is the "Kai" version of Cold Steel I and II. How's Xseed going to handle that on PS4? Personally I'd actually like them to add the additional lines to the "remaster" version. Heck if there are higher res textures I'd love to see those added to retroactively added to the PC version...oh the dreams that I have that typically don't come true!

Hmm...there's some sort of a stream from Xseed today. Wonder if they'll drop a bombshell announcement tonight. Should make a bet with Drakeon a bottle of that FFXV Orange soda that they will.

But meanwhile I have a long way to go on Xenoblade 2...did I ever mention that I LOVE the music?

Did that really happen? I'm not in the Discord group for the Falcom fandom and apparently it seemed to kind of fade away. The rumor seemed to get the fanbase split up all over the place irrc reading some tweeters.
Yes. Sean Chiplock posted a link to it in the official Falcom discord channel I think or it was the Trails Discord. It wasn't up for very long and it was asked to be taken down and all links removed from the Discord an hour or two after posting. While I don't visit the discord channel, I did manage to procure the link and read it with the official signatures. I believe I mentioned it here previously around that time but purposely did not link to it. I mentioned some of the people who signed it and what characters they played. Off the top of my hand I only remember the voice actors who did Rean and Fie/Alfin.

Now whether or not it was actually sent, I have no idea. I know Sean started getting a lot bigger work as a voice actor after Cold Steel as he's relatively newer to the industry. Plus he interacts a lot with the Trails community and is always willing to quickly do short lines in the characters voice for kicks. He seems to have a lot of respect for XSeed, so I could see him not reprising his role.

As for the whole fandom split, I'm not sure what you're talking about. A good deal of them were NeoGAF members and when the recent fiasco happened, they all moved over to ResetEra. During this time I think a secondary invite only discord channel was created. I could probably join it if I asked, but eh, I'm not that worried about it. All the important information still surfaces in the usual places I get my info from regarding Trails/Falcom.

Xseed's been rather quiet and I believe certain active projects are coming to a close? Zwei Arges Adventure is out in a couple of weeks. I'm sure Cold Steel II is going to be out soon...wouldn't be surprised if it comes out by early February.
With XSeed's PC releases, they have some of the worst marketing ever. They announce its release two weeks before it actually releases and mentioned it on their twitter and facebook pages. That's it. Nothing else. I'm not even sure they use an official press release for it, just announce it on their twitter/facebook pages and send out one newsletter related to it.

Half the time it feels like they don't even say they're working on a PC release for a game and the first time anybody hears of it is two weeks prior.

I wonder if there's sorta a monkey wrench in the works though...that is the "Kai" version of Cold Steel I and II. How's Xseed going to handle that on PS4? Personally I'd actually like them to add the additional lines to the "remaster" version. Heck if there are higher res textures I'd love to see those added to retroactively added to the PC version...oh the dreams that I have that typically don't come true!
The fast forward the PS4 port will have is not the same as the PC version, so just a heads up there. As for the voice acting, the Japanese version will not include new voice overs. Since XSeed doesn't do any programming for their console games to my knowledge, I don't expect Falcom to port it with extra voice hooks just for the English port. I fully expect the port to be localized though.

If there are higher resolution textures with the PS4 version, XSeed typically will add them to the PC versions of the games.

By the way, voice actors in Japan are quite expensive with ridiculous contracts much like their music industry. Falcom often uses big name voice actors that cost a lot of money. It's speculated that it's what caused voice lines to be cut in the base game for Rean because he's apparently pretty big/expensive. Which is also why they're not adding in new lines for the PS4 port in Japan.

Hmm...there's some sort of a stream from Xseed today. Wonder if they'll drop a bombshell announcement tonight. Should make a bet with Drakeon a bottle of that FFXV Orange soda that they will.
I'm not expecting anything remotely bombshell worthy from them anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they show off Zwei though. It starts in roughly ten minutes but I don't really ever bother watching their streams.

So many walls of text in here.

Did Trump fulfill his promise?
ikr, the walls of text just got 10 feet higher

Funny at work yesterday I randomly saw reference to Miku

pehdta2.png

With XSeed's PC releases, they have some of the worst marketing ever. They announce its release two weeks before it actually releases and mentioned it on their twitter and facebook pages. That's it. Nothing else. I'm not even sure they use an official press release for it, just announce it on their twitter/facebook pages and send out one newsletter related to it.

Half the time it feels like they don't even say they're working on a PC release for a game and the first time anybody hears of it is two weeks prior.
This simply has to be a calculated decision. Every company employs some kind of marketing or social media people. They must figure that they get more sales based on surprise reveals and the subsequent week 1 hype purchasing than actually marketing something in the traditional way.

I think it has something to do with that you have to close the sale immediately, or else you're going to miss out because people won't pull the trigger. Kind of like a mattress salesman or the TV informercials "call within the next 20 minutes or miss this price". It's backwards thinking, I know. But these niche games are entirely different beasts from their brethren. If people don't buy new PC games right away, they wait for a humble bundle or the giant slashing discounts.

This simply has to be a calculated decision. Every company employs some kind of marketing or social media people. They must figure that they get more sales based on surprise reveals and the subsequent week 1 hype purchasing than actually marketing something in the traditional way.

I think it has something to do with that you have to close the sale immediately, or else you're going to miss out because people won't pull the trigger. Kind of like a mattress salesman or the TV informercials "call within the next 20 minutes or miss this price". It's backwards thinking, I know. But these niche games are entirely different beasts from their brethren. If people don't buy new PC games right away, they wait for a humble bundle or the giant slashing discounts.
They've actually come out and said that they know their marketing is woefully lacking. Granted that's mostly in threads on places like the Falcom subreddit or the Falcom threads in NeoGAF/ResetEra. The main issue with what you're describing is that only the core fans tend to find out that the game is released and not much beyond that. So numbers are rather low, which may or may not improve to good levels.

Games like mainline Senran Kagura games sell decently well on Steam though. It's mostly just the ones with less name recognition like Xanadu NEXT and Zwei that have serious issues. I don't necessarily think they need traditional marketing, but they do need a way to get their game out there so people actually see it. Like using youtubers/streamers and giving reviewers plenty of time to review while setting a specific date within a week of release to post reviews.

Yup. A 20 character roster with 20 planned DLC characters is just fucking ridiculous.

I'm passing on this until they release a complete bundle at some point.
The game is pretty much Cross Tag Battle ft. RWBY. You think they would have more RWBY characters, but nope. LOL

The 20 Character DLC announcement lost my sale. Unless they plan on having a DLC model where you can earn the characters like in SFV, I'm just going to skip this game for now until they announce the inevitable "Complete" release.

Knowing them, each DLC pack will have a character from BB, UNIL, and Persona, meaning you have to buy it if you want all the characters from one series.

Way to totally kill a game for me, game is months away from releasing and announce 20 DLC Characters already that is the same amount that it's launching with, I also heard that in EVO 2018 that all the DLC Chracters will be playable already in a build for it
The demo will have all 20 Base Characters during the event. Makes you think that they can add in all 20 DLC characters before the May release date in Japan if they wanted to. But choose not to because "extra monies". Which is total bs for the customer.

Yup. A 20 character roster with 20 planned DLC characters is just fucking ridiculous.

Agreed^

I'm so glad I hardly ever buy games new anymore, as the DLC milking often doesn't effect me one way or another. But when I see stuff like this, I wonder who's making these choices behind the scenes? So many companies are just barely making it in today's market, and most got to that point over BS like this. Maybe by release, we'll find out it's not as bad as it looks, but thus far, it's looking pretty shitty. LOL

18 of those 20 characters are reused from the other games too. And all together, only 4 are brand new characters, 36 were taken from the BB, P4U, and Uniel.

I also love how the Limited Edition has a code for the 20 DLC chars, so they are just tempting you to buy the LE at launch for the full package.

This game is looking worse than MVCI now, and that one was terrible. Not to mention, my two mains Akihiko and Nine are no where to be found, so this game is just a disappointment.

Yes. Sean Chiplock posted a link to it in the official Falcom discord channel I think or it was the Trails Discord. It wasn't up for very long and it was asked to be taken down and all links removed from the Discord an hour or two after posting. While I don't visit the discord channel, I did manage to procure the link and read it with the official signatures. I believe I mentioned it here previously around that time but purposely did not link to it. I mentioned some of the people who signed it and what characters they played. Off the top of my hand I only remember the voice actors who did Rean and Fie/Alfin.

Now whether or not it was actually sent, I have no idea. I know Sean started getting a lot bigger work as a voice actor after Cold Steel as he's relatively newer to the industry. Plus he interacts a lot with the Trails community and is always willing to quickly do short lines in the characters voice for kicks. He seems to have a lot of respect for XSeed, so I could see him not reprising his role.
Chiplock was in Ys VIII though, for both the original dub and the redo, so unless he had a really bad experience on that game, I'd have a hard time seeing him turning down the job to reprise Rean even if NISA ends up with the game.

Doesn't DBFighterZ have a boatload of DLC too...I mean not as many DLC characters...but eh? I still have to try out that open beta though.

Doesn't DBFighterZ have a boatload of DLC too...I mean not as many DLC characters...but eh? I still have to try out that open beta though.
8 DLC characters are easy to accept than 20 DLC.

And those 8 characters are completely new with animation, move sets, etc whereas those 18 out 20, with 2 presumably from RWBY resuse assets from the 3 previous releases.

Way to totally kill a game for me, game is months away from releasing and announce 20 DLC Characters already that is the same amount that it's launching with, I also heard that in EVO 2018 that all the DLC Chracters will be playable already in a build for it
agree. F that noise.

I buy all these fighters for ~$20 because I'm amazed at how far they've come since I was a kid. The graphics and the gameplay is astonishing compared to what we had as kids growing up in the 90s. But I hardly play em. It's fun to have them in your collection and some of them will be true gems in 20 years. Really tired of their business models for new releases. It would be really hard to support these games unless it's your main attraction. You can just wait and buy the updated Arcade/All-stars/Deluxe/Ex plus/GOTY/Extended/Ultimate edition instead. Not my fault these publishers choose to cannibalize their own IPs. You'll get my $20 in a year or two; that was your choice.

If I had a consistent 2nd player for fighting games, i'd play them more often. I know there is online, but it's not the same as someone right next to you. I generally get fighters once they go around $20 too, especially the Arc Systems Works ones which generally keep getting upgraded over and over.

ArcSys doesn't have the decency to add in all of Team RWBY into the base game and instead put half of them as DLC.
In a way, I find this even more offensive than the 20 DLC characters. You announce RWBY as part of a crossover series and fans can only play as 2 characters without giving them even more money?

Makes Arc look really bad.

Yeah, I was interested in this game but once I saw this I pulled the ripcord on it. Was never a super fan of Arc's dlc and iteration model to begin with but this is just taking it a bit too far. Seeing as they typically charge between 5.99 ~ 7.99 a character in their other games I cringe to think how much it would cost for the other 20 in this game.... along with color packs, voice overs, avatars ect. I'll wait this one out for a year for the BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle Extend II edition. 

In a way, I find this even more offensive than the 20 DLC characters. You announce RWBY as part of a crossover series and fans can only play as 2 characters without giving them even more money?

Makes Arc look really bad.
We'll get 6 RWBY characters in the next one. LOL Maybe even 5

Speaking of fighting games I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the company Retro-Bit has teamed up with SEGA to re-release the Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast controllers (even including Bluetooth capability in some of the models):

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/retro-bit-sega-usb-and-bluetooth-genesis-saturn-and-dreamcast-accessories-revealed/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/retro-bit-brings-new-ways-to-play-old-games-at-ces/1100-6456096/

DTTlzQQVoAAZzIQ.jpg

DTNwOGlU8AAh7B1.jpg

DTXrci8VwAAiDCx.jpg

Personally I don't care about the wireless ones, but if those USB Saturn pads are even close to the same build quality as those SLS ones from YEARS ago I will happily buy up two or three (the Saturn pad is still my favorite for 2D styled fighters).  And maybe a Dreamcast controller or two.  LOL

Speaking of fighting games I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the company Retro-Bit has teamed up with SEGA to re-release the Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast controllers (even including Bluetooth capability in some of the models):

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/retro-bit-sega-usb-and-bluetooth-genesis-saturn-and-dreamcast-accessories-revealed/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/retro-bit-brings-new-ways-to-play-old-games-at-ces/1100-6456096/

DTTlzQQVoAAZzIQ.jpg

DTNwOGlU8AAh7B1.jpg

DTXrci8VwAAiDCx.jpg

Personally I don't care about the wireless ones, but if those USB Saturn pads are even close to the same build quality as those SLS ones from YEARS ago I will happily buy up two or three (the Saturn pad is still my favorite for 2D styled fighters). And maybe a Dreamcast controller or two. LOL
This is really cool. I have so many wired Dreamcast controllers already, but would love to have one through bluetooth since the cords are so damn short. I wish they'd make their own HDMI out box instead of VGA so I wouldn't have to go through third party.

It looks like console/handheld games are starting to ramp up again. The upcoming weeks should be pretty interesting as well. I'll just leave it at that since I didn't pre-write this weeks list, so I'm feeling rather lethargic.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Next Up Hero (Action / Early Access)

Weekly Releases (January 14th - January 20th)

Link-a-Pix Color
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Puzzle
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Likely eShop only. A nonogram-like puzzle that I haven't seen before.

Kirby Battle Royale
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Arena Brawler
- Online: Yes.

Darkest Dungeon
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: RPG / Roguelike
- Comments: Digital only.

Gunhouse
- Genre: Puzzle / Tower Defense
- Comments: Digital only. Previously on Vita, PC & Mobile.

Nightmare Boy
- Genre: Metroidvania

World to the West
- Genre: Action-Adventure

Vesta
- Platform(s): Switch, Xbox One, PC
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Digital only. Previously on PS4.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Comments: Should be a free update to those who own the original game.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG

Full Metal Furies
- Platform(s): Xbox One, PC (?)
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Co-op brawler. May or may not release on PC this week.

The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human
- Platform(s): Xbox One
- Genre: Exploration / Metroidvania Lite / Few Enemies
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Light Tracer
- Platform(s): PCVR
- Genre: Puzzle-Platformer

Cicadas