Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this game so much easier to find than 2 or Returns?
Double Peace is an older game on PS4/Vita but the Switch version specifically is a recent release, it's only been out a few weeks so it's still fairly easy to come by.

Picked up sakuna hades and nier from the sale.  I thought about astria ascending and end of eternity but I couldn't find a 3rd game I really wanted to pair with them. 

If a game is unlisted on GS, does that mean they never carried it? I'm kind of surprised that something like Mary Skelter 2 isn't on there but F is. 

If a game is unlisted on GS, does that mean they never carried it? I'm kind of surprised that something like Mary Skelter 2 isn't on there but F is.
Some titles get removed from the regular search bar and can only be found via google. others get removed permanently. whether any of that applies to mary skelter 2 I dunno.

The Collector's Edition for double the price seems a bit hefty if you already get the soundtrack in the regular edition, but the photo of the box does look neat. I thought it was a Switch version at first glance.

Andro Dunos 2 is another late release 3DS title presumably coming soon ('Q2 2022')

https://www.vgnysoft.com/product-page/andro-dunos-2-nintendo-3ds

Also available from PixelHeart (EU site, but US copies available both PixelHeart and VGNYSoft are listed as publishers):

https://www.pixelheart.eu/en/produit/andro-dunos-2-3ds-us/

There it mentions there will be 6,000 copies total

It will also be available on Switch, though:

https://www.vgnysoft.com/product-page/andro-dunos-2-nintendo-switch?utm_campaign=9419d70c-9ab7-454a-be46-0a2fa0225bed&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=1f1390ba-f091-4e8d-a88e-fb4ed8b37eac

I first saw it on Videogameplus.ca - their description says if you're a US customer please order from VGNYSoft as they're only getting some shared from VGNYSoft themselves.
I've been keeping an eye on VGNYSoft's Andro Dunos 2 stock and, despite it being at 150+ over the last several days, it was already down to 58 by the evening so I went ahead and ordered myself a copy.

The available quantity is now down to only 35 so if you want a copy, I'd order it ASAP.

Square Enix has trademarked "Tactics Ogre:Rebron" in Japan.

https://twitter.com/Renka_schedule/status/1512088111802576898?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1512088111802576898%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Meh they make a lot of trademarks that never go anywhere. More than likely it's for a gacha mobile game.
That was my first thought, too. How jaded are we as a community now that when the prospect of a beloved classic game coming back presents itself, we all immediately assume it's going to be some mobile crap? Sad thing is, nine times out of ten, we're right lol

That was my first thought, too. How jaded are we as a community now that when the prospect of a beloved classic game coming back presents itself, we all immediately assume it's going to be some mobile crap? Sad thing is, nine times out of ten, we're right lol
We aren't jaded so much as we know from experience that it's either a gacha or a pachinko machine :p

The upcoming Shining Force mobile game was cancelled today. Shame. I was looking forward to it. It looked great visually and featured the series' laudable soundtrack.

Another game from the Nvidia leaked list, Tactics Ogre Reborn. So we should see Final Fantasy IX remake and Final Fantasy Tactics Remastered later.

Meh they make a lot of trademarks that never go anywhere. More than likely it's for a gacha mobile game.
I mean, they're literally calling it "Tactics Ogre Reborn," I'm fairly certain it's another port/remaster of the SNES game. It might even just be an update of the PSP version, that's already wide screen so they don't have to do much to it.

It isn't niche and isn't really a 'deal' (also not B2G1 eligible), but I also recently learned about these versions of the Pokemon Sword/Shield games that have the DLC Expansion Pass on the cart. Gamestop is basically the only place I see them in stock and not sold by a third party. Only used condition is available for Sword, but it should still work. There are codes in the box but they're for outfits/pokeballs, not the expansion pass content.

Shield: $89.99 new, $79.99 used

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products/pokemon-shield-plus-expansion-pass---nintendo-switch/226855.html

Sword: $79.99 used

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products/pokemon-sword-plus-expansion-pass---nintendo-switch/227365.html

Every time I passed over these online/in-store I always just assumed they were display cases to sell you codes, digital only, or had a code inside alongside a regular cart, etc.

Just got a $5 cert from a Best Buy email titled: Open-box appliances, TVs and more can be yours for even less - there's no time like the present to SAVE

Wasn’t Mary Skelter 2 only sold through IFI directly and LRG? That would be why GameStop wouldn’t have it listed.

Awesome thanks - Dusk Diver 2 is what I was thinking about using the $10 Best Buy cert on, now I can pick something else!

Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes or Xenoblade Chronicles 3 probably, though I'm still thinking a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 special edition may be possible

GameStop is doing a B2G1 now. There are some okay prices combined with it.
Just noting that today (due to bby dotd price match), Skyward Sword HD is $30 and b2g1 eligible. Made me go ahead and pull the trigger on Skyward Sword HD, Pioneers of Olive Town Premium Edition, and Caligula Effect 2. I'll take 'em at around $20 each.

Edit: Is it safe to assume that :ps4: Dusk Diver 2 has a free ps5 upgrade? Since I own the first on ps4 I think I might grab it.

Just got a $5 cert from a Best Buy email titled: Open-box appliances, TVs and more can be yours for even less - there's no time like the present to SAVE
I didn't even get that email, but I can't complain since I got $5 last time.

Can't believe they "censored" the cover art of that game for the West. Anyone know if the game is toned down or changed in any way for North America?
I am so sick of this fear of breasts. They used to play The Blacklist on NBC at 8pm, and there was an episode where someone threw a woman into a woodchipper. Gotta make sure that's on nice and early for the kids to see, but cover the top of that anime girl's breast so little Johnny doesn't see it for two seconds behind the Walmart electronics glass! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even get that email, but I can't complain since I got $5 last time.

I am so sick of this fear of breasts. They used to play The Blacklist on NBC at 8pm, and there was an episode where someone threw a woman into a woodchipper. Gotta make sure that's on nice and early for the kids to see, but cover the top of that anime girl's breast so little Johnny doesn't see it for two seconds behind the Walmart electronics glass! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!
wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children-think-of-the-children.gif

The editing is silly to since it's not even like nips or something was showing there. just some minor cleavage which if they watch anything else is nothing. Hell the girls at school probably show more than that. Of course this is the same world where hello nurse was deemed as too provocative (when she doesn't have any cleavage and barely any skin showing at all just a slightly exaggerated figure) and Ms Bellum was deemed as a bad female influence/role model.

Unless I'm missing something (completely possible) it just looks like they rearranged the characters on the cover for Miss Kobayashi because of the different aspect ratio for PS4/Switch cases. On Dusk Diver 2, they actually changed the art and covered up exposed skin in multiple places and it's the same on Switch and PlayStation.

Not meant as a defense of Sony at all mind you, ever since the Omega Labyrinth scenario they've been crappy with censorship. But I think the cover art for Dusk Diver 2 is more than likely because of the ESRB.

Unless I'm missing something (completely possible) it just looks like they rearranged the characters on the cover for Miss Kobayashi because of the different aspect ratio for PS4/Switch cases. On Dusk Diver 2, they actually changed the art and covered up exposed skin in multiple places and it's the same on Switch and PlayStation.

Not meant as a defense of Sony at all mind you, ever since the Omega Labyrinth scenario they've been crappy with censorship. But I think the cover art for Dusk Diver 2 is more than likely because of the ESRB.
The Switch version shows more of the big boobs in the top right corner.

I think Tothoro's point is that the artwork was needing to be rearranged anyway to adapt to the different dimensions of a ps4 case.  Anyway, I personally don't really care about cover artwork - ingame content is more significant.  Also, I think it's fine - often helpful - to mention if censorship is a factor when considering games and deals. But this thread has derailed badly in the past with complaints about censorship that don't accomplish much.

I figured people would be more upset after finding out the elementary school dragon girl doesn't take as much clothing damage as the other characters.

E: It's a game built in unity so the assets (such as completed puzzles) can be viewed without much work. 

Anyway, I personally don't really care about cover artwork - ingame content is more significant. Also, I think it's fine - often helpful - to mention if censorship is a factor when considering games and deals.
Agreed. I'd just like to know if there are real content differences. Otherwise, changes to the box art are immaterial. Usually, the dev or publisher will come out and state whether they made any such changes to clear the air, but I don't think there has been any word yet here.

May be we'll hear something as we get closer to the release date.

Lots of Neptunia games have had censored cover art. Re:Verse provided the original on the reverse side though for example, so frequently I think it's something about retailers and what is shown on a shelf.

https://twitter.com/FalKoopa_/status/1463626980977373185
Japanese box art unchanged.

Also the game is out in Japan with English subtitles.

There's also the legend of the original Catherine box art, where retailers like Walmart and Target wouldn't stock it because of its provocative nature, so Atlus altered the cover so any naughty bits (Catherine's cleavage and Katherine's glorious rump) were cropped out. However, they didn't just censor the cover, they released a video showcasing the gratuitous sexual content in the other games Walmart and Target stocked (complete with a nasally narration of each scene), comparing those scenes to the quite tame sex scenes in Catherine. Walmart and Target agreed to stock the game with the censored cover, while based Gamestop and Amazon sold the uncensored one. This was all back when Atlus was the coolest damn gaming company in the world lol they're still cool now, but they could relax on the damn DLC for a minute.

Does anyone else have trouble getting Amazon's site to even function anymore? It feels like half the time when I go there to look at something, the loading times out, and probably 80% of the time when I want to talk to customer service I get errors just trying to navigate to the right page. Tonight I wanted to return a game I picked up recently which subsequently showed up in the Target B2G1, and I can't even get through more than a couple steps of the return process before I get more errors. This is on multiple browsers on multiple devices, and I do not have these issues on basically any other site.

They're possibly the biggest online retailer on the damn planet, how is their site so shitty?

bread's done
Back