Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk.

That one dude from Persona 4 can use a Persona and he's an adult.
adachi was given magical powers just like the mc and the other guy
since they all shook a random gas station attendant who looked like a dude but turned out to be a chicks hand.

It was really all quite fuck ing stupid.

only young people can use personas and once they hit a certain age such as shinji they lose control and require a drug to force use them. Most people also can't just bring them out on their own and require evokers. they also covered this in the p3 trinity soul anime which akihiko was a minor cameo in.
That's, at best, a retcon, and possibly not even cannon. In either case, it's not stated in the *game* and thus the *game* seemed less grounded to me than P4.

only young people can use personas and once they hit a certain age such as shinji they lose control and require a drug to force use them. Most people also can't just bring them out on their own and require evokers. they also covered this in the p3 trinity soul anime which akihiko was a minor cameo in.
It is not because they hit a certain age. Shinji's Persona just happened to go out of control. Shinji only used the drug as a means to control his Persona, because he lost confidence in his ability to control his. The adult cast in Persona 1 and Persona 2 can use Personas just fine.

There is always a chance for Persona to go out of control. When that happens, it will become a Shadow.

Trinity Souls is generally considered non-canon.

Huh, I was gonna put in a preorder just in case, but the P5 LE doesn't seem to be eligible for Amazon international shipping. You can see it in the product details.

adachi was given magical powers just like the mc and the other guy
since they all shook a random gas station attendant who looked like a dude but turned out to be a chicks hand.

It was really all quite fuck ing stupid.
That's too dumb, even for me. I'm just going to blame it all on magic butterflies instead.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana Gets New Screenshots, Introduces New Characters

We get to meet the pharmacist Kilgore, the overly-proud noble Curran, and the tailor Alison, who has lost her husband during the shipwreck that had her end up in  the Drifting Village.

Pokemon Sun and Moon news coming May 10

Persona 5’s New Trailer With English Subtitles [Fan Sub]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFx77tQvWTk

The Silver Case remaster announced for PC

Goichi Suda's 1999 adventure game finally getting English release

Persona 5 Famitsu DX Pack announced for Japan
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/persona-5-famitsu-dx-pack-announced-japan

Culdcept Revolt Nintendo Direct set for May 11
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/culdcept-revolt-nintendo-direct-set-may-11

Dragon Quest Heroes II gameplay shows facilities, class techniques
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/dragon-quest-heroes-ii-gameplay-shows-facilities-class-techniques
https://youtu.be/rvcPM-MddBU

Shadow of the Beast for PS4 English physical release coming to Asia
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/shadow-beast-ps4-english-physical-release-coming-asia

Can you cancel your orders at a later time on amiami? There's no chance this JP P5 CE has English subs right?
You can if you send them an email and request it, but their policy is no cancellations I believe. When I canceled something I was warned that too many cancellations would ban my account.

I liked Mitsuru! Very assertive and she was a butt kicker. I wont throw down any spoilers, but even though some things happened with the fam, she was still awesome.
Agreed. Mitsuru is the best.

The thing about cancelling at AmiAmi is giving a decent reason. I use simple, slightly broken English when I really needed to cancel and would say things like "I want to keep using AmiAmi and am having bad finances this month." I then iterate how bad I feel and how I will continue to use them in the future. Always gets through easily. I barely order anything anymore, but I used to order a lot in the past.

Only thing I regret not getting was a Kobato plush thing....instead got a Rilakkuma Re-ment set which was alright, but Kobato!!!!!

Persona 5 standard and 20th Anniversary editions for 17,388 yen and 11,998 yen, respectively, Famitsu announced.
Futurama-Fry.jpg

The best time for the exchange rate was like 2 years ago to maybe 1 year ago. I still remember paying for my Miku dollfie during that time and paying about $550 or something for her....was a bargain easily. 

I think a main thing to remember as well was the figure prices back when the yen wasn't amazing in 2014 or so, where that figures were still relatively well priced with good discounts. Nowadays figures are extremely overpriced and frankly aren't worth it as much to me unless I really, really love a figure. I mean paying around $50 or more for Figma/SH Figuarts and close to $120 or something for normal 1/7 figures or 1/8 figures...just way too much....

Everything from Play Arts Kai to Nendoroids are massively overpriced.  The way jp home video publishers prey upon Anime collectors is in the same ballpark. 

If people refused to buy these blu-rays and figures then prices would come down drastically.  Obviously price is no object to most Otaku.  They will pay whatever.

There's a reason why there is more merch than ever before and that's because it's insanely profitable. 

It's definitely a double edged sword. The vast majority of shows (anything not One Piece and the like) make most of their money on merchandise. If those don't turn a profit, then they can't make any more anime. Most anime titles break even cause they'll sell like a couple thousand DVDs.

Lowering the price to half won't double the sales.

Edit:

Gate S2 Vol 8 sold about 4000 copies. But that ends up being less than $125k per episode. And that's revenue, not profits. And that's considered moderately successful.

At this point the only figures I want are Tracer & D.va from Overwatch. I'm having a blast with the BETA,

I know it's not a niche JP game but recommend everyone checks it out before it ends since it's a free short download too!

Also if anyone wants to play on PS4 send me a PM with your PSN,

I've had a group going the past few nights with awesome teamwork.

I'm thinking about picking up Ray Gigant, anybody here buy it yet? It's gotten pretty decent reviews considering how niche and different it is. I think it looks fun, is supposed to be kind of easy, but that's fine with all I'm playing right now.

Also how's Return to PopoloCrois: A STORY OF SEASONS Fairytale, I saw it on the eShop for $20, seems pretty cheap?

At this point the only figures I want are Tracer & D.va from Overwatch. I'm having a blast with the BETA,

I know it's not a niche JP game but recommend everyone checks it out before it ends since it's a free short download too!

Also if anyone wants to play on PS4 send me a PM with your PSN,

I've had a group going the past few nights with awesome teamwork.
D.VA <3

I still can't believe they included a figure of Soldier 76 instead of any of the girls in the special edition.

As for anime figs I have pretty much just have pre-owned prize figs, my usual price range is $10-$30.

Oddly enough, a strong dollar-to-yen ratio is actually much better for Japanese game developers, as well as U.S. consumers/importers. When the yen was very strong against the dollar, a lot of Japanese game creators were suffering from the exchange rate. (most notably Nintendo) Over the course of the past decade, the Japanese game market, especially for console games, has decreased sharply. It's all about mobile/phone games over there now. For developers and hardware platform holders, the majority of their business now comes from the U.S. and Europe.

So essentially, Japanese-based companies like Nintendo and Sony have become primarily exporters. As such, the strength of their native currency actually damages their business. The strength of foreign currency bolsters their business, and gives them much greater spending power in their home country. Expect to see a fair number of native-developed Japanese games in the next few years. The current exchange rate makes it more affordable for them to hire and maintain home studios.

If the exchange rate shifts, expect Sony and Nintendo to focus more on outsourcing development to other countries.

Loving the Overwatch beta as well. And seeing all the unique characters, it makes me sad that the bland Soldier archetype is the one who gets the figure from the CE. My favorite characters has to be Mei easily (Who apparently is causing more butthurt over on Reddit than the bullshit Bastion). Followed by D.Va, Tracer, and Widowmaker.

This has to the one of the funniest things I have done personally in the beta so far

https://gfycat.com/TestyWhichBuzzard

I'm thinking about picking up Ray Gigant, anybody here buy it yet? It's gotten pretty decent reviews considering how niche and different it is. I think it looks fun, is supposed to be kind of easy, but that's fine with all I'm playing right now.

Also how's Return to PopoloCrois: A STORY OF SEASONS Fairytale, I saw it on the eShop for $20, seems pretty cheap?
I am interested as well but I don't pay full price on any digital game. Retail I would have for an RPG like this.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEjCIg2lEg&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Could be/could not be the Battle Theme for Persona 5. Sounds real good too

I am interested as well but I don't pay full price on any digital game. Retail I would have for an RPG like this.
Yeah, I don't really worry that much about physical or digital but I can definitely understand why, I wish it would've came with a launch week discount or at least some extras to make it feel like a better value.

bread's done
Back