Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
kettle salt an vinegar potato chips 72 counts 18$.
enhanced-12063-1406560818-5.jpg

Just got shipping notificiation for ZTD and it'll be here Sunday.

Amazon should have overnighted it for taking so long to ship something they clearly had for awhile now. 

Oh well. Amazon and Aksys proved they're trash with the way both handled the situation.

Got a shipping update on my Vita version of ZTD from 'who knows' to next week. Good to see things are starting to move for everyone.

I have completed Tokyo mirage sessions in 77 hours(a few extra hours added in where I wasn't actually playing as well as a number of hours grinding for achievements) I have done almost everything possible in the first playthrough. There's a few things that can only be done in NG+ like a secret boss and lunatic difficulty mode. I'll probably save that for later.
Great game. Highly recommend to any Jrpg fan.

Just got shipping notificiation for ZTD and it'll be here Sunday.

Amazon should have overnighted it for taking so long to ship something they clearly had for awhile now.

Oh well. Amazon and Aksys proved they're trash with the way both handled the situation.
Amazon is overnighting mine to me. Just got notified a few minutes ago that it would be here tomorrow!

I called on release day and some rep promised to upgrade shipping whenever it finally "released."

Just FYI. Seems like people's orders are finally coming through.

Greetings from Amazon.com. You saved $0.03 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price: Zero Escape 3 with pre order bonus Vita - PlayStation Vita

Price on order date: $39.99

Price charged at shipping: $39.96

Lowest price before release date: $39.96

Quantity: 1

Total Savings: $0.03

$0.03 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.
Thanks Amazon

Amazon is overnighting mine to me. Just got notified a few minutes ago that it would be here tomorrow!

I called on release day and some rep promised to upgrade shipping whenever it finally "released."

Just FYI. Seems like people's orders are finally coming through.
Mine still says nothing

I'll bet. Having no ownership over their creations was the biggest pain when Clover died and spun off into Platinum. Having to say goodbye to Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Godhand, etc must have hurt; and nothing has changed in all this time and they have to accept the possibility of losing Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, etc.
Iirc, one of the reasons they made scalebound an Xbox exclusive is because they got to keep ownership of the IP. Crazy how they don't own any of the IPs of the games they have made.

Galgun was pushed back again. August 2nd release date now.

My ZTD shipped also. Got on Amazon chat promptly about my refund(since I ordered the standard last week). The guy didn't give me any issues and filed the refund for me. Now the question is, am I still on the boat for the watch. My order wasn't marked as canceled. Just shows refund. Should be good I think. Will probably get 2 copies of the game out of this.

Here's my Tokyo Mirage Sessions review. It's a bit lengthy because I went into a little bit of detail on the gameplay. It's pretty favorable and doesn't contain any story spoilers but will mention some mechanical things that you will gain later in the game that affect battle. I don't really consider them spoilers, but I just wanted to mention it for anybody who might.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions will probably be your best stop-gap game on the wait for Persona 5. That isn’t to say it’s not without issues but is definitely solid enough to give it a playthrough if you have a Wii U. The only exceptions to that would be if you don’t have a Wii U or absolutely abhor the idol theme.

The story, like many other games is your standard fare. It takes very much after the Persona series in this regard. Nothing to write home about and it’s solid enough for what it is. In the story it integrates a lot of Fire Emblem (including a full vocal song on Fire Emblem) in the theme of Persona. A good amount of the named Fire Emblems you encounter will be characters from Awakening with most of the remaining characters being from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light which we did not get localized on the SNES.

Your characters will be your very Japanese trope filled fare and for the most part are ok. I only really dislike the last character you recruit. Each have very distinct personalities that show themselves very strongly throughout the game. This means every character comes on pretty strong, for better or worse depending on how much you like or dislike their personalities.

Environments feel very Persona and look better than Persona 3 & 4. You still have a bit of redundant textures through each dungeon, however I feel it doesn’t ever get to the point of feeling overly bland and each dungeon is very different design wise. The only issue I have with the dungeons is that early on, you get a skill to reveal traps in dungeons but it’s not necessary until the final dungeon which I thought was somewhat dumb. You could possibly use it in the third dungeon, however the “traps” are clearly defined by the environmental objects making it not necessary to use at all assuming the skill works there at all. I wouldn’t of minded having another section of a dungeon being partially trapped filled so it didn’t make the skill feel so useless.

The quest system is also unfortunately your standard fare, which means mostly kill/loot quests. The main issue with quests in this game is that there is no quest log. So if you ever forget what you need to do for a quest, you’ll need to re-find the quest giver. In almost all cases, all you need to do is cycle through the area maps on the Wii U Gamepad to find a quest giver icon and hope that it’s the right one if you don’t remember. There are a few quests (one per dungeon post-prologue) that have very vague quests that require “Force” items that drop from 3 or 4 different enemies. You have to make a guess as to what these enemies are or continue to grind enemies until the quest givers icon turns purple, which means its complete and can be fully turned in. In general, nearly all the quests require backtracking in dungeons from past chapters. Some can be quick, while others can take very long depending on your luck.

Touching on enemy drops, I want to expand just a little bit on that front. Most of the game was not particularly grindy. However, I found chapter 3 & 4 a bit of a grind. This was because they were transitional chapters in terms of your Radiant Skills (passive skills). During these chapters, you will want to gain Stage Ranks on characters to be high enough to learn a skill that allows characters to join in on sessions while in the sub-cast (not in active party). To earn stage ranks, characters must join in on sessions which will require active party participation and should be your main goal up until you earn these skills.

On top of that there are two other skills that can help or hinder loot gain. The first one is a Radiant Skill on the main character which allows your sessions to continue beyond your current enemy should you manage to kill them in a session. This is useful to help the speed of battles, but on the other side it will slow loot gathering slightly. Personally, I recommend grabbing them as soon as you can. The other Radiant Skill just increases the loot you can potentially gain from sessions as hitting enemies once you achieve an overkill in a session every hit thereafter produces an extra random loot drop.

The battle system in the game is part Persona and part Fire Emblem. You have a Fire Emblem Persona that will make use of the Fire Emblem weapon triangle. It doesn’t always hold to the triangle though as enemies, like you, can have skills that remove weakness of physical or magical attributes but is a good place to start on new enemies. Similar to Persona, when you critically hit an enemy (All attacks that attack a weakness are crits), you will get extra attacks. In this games case it will start a session that work off of other characters’ skills and will continue to chain until all characters have gone once should they have a skill that allows them to continue from the previous attack.

Eventually you will learn ad-libs that will turn your character’s initial attack into a special attack that will usually hit all characters and start a session regardless if your attack type would have normally scored a critical hit. Beyond that you can gain duos that have a chance to trigger during a session and will activate after the session finishes. Like sessions, you can actually chain a second (and rarely a third) session after the duo takes place. Due to this, while you can get a good amount of extra loot, will also prolong battles that are already long as it is. You can skip the animations of ad-libs and duos however you have to sit through the entirety of sessions all the time. So while the game may not be terribly grindy, it feels more grindy than it is due to the lengthy nature of the battle system.

You have two enemy types outside of your normal enemies that you will encounter as well. First are Savage Encounters that will always throw you against enemies that are 6 levels above you. Since damage is first based off of your level in comparison to your opponents, they will hit for a lot of damage and can easily wipe a party as the first time you encounter a savage enemy their resistances and weaknesses will be hidden like normal enemies until you discover them in battle for the first time or defeat the enemy once. For the most part they are not really worth the effort, however they can drop a key item that can lead to earning a somewhat useful skill from a hidden quest. Mostly though, I just recommend making sure you have a few Smoke Machines and run from battle.

The other enemy type are Rare Encounters. These enemies are not random like they are in Persona 3 & 4. Instead they are mostly tied to small areas of the dungeons where they can somewhat easily be found if you know where to look. It’s great for farming if you know the spots but on the other hand if you don’t? Well, you can go through the dungeon several times in its entirely and never come across it. There are two types of rare enemies that will drop ingredients for weapons, so it’s up to you on whether or not you really feel you should bother.

Next is the Carnage (Weapon) system and Mirage (Persona) system. To gain new weapons, you need various loot pieces from enemies to craft new weapons. As you gain materials, new items will show up on the list whether you have all three ingredients or just one. Weapons will also level up to allow your Mirage form to gain skills. Then at a later point in the game this further unlocks the ability to reforge your weapons and re-learn the skills on them. You have a limited amount of slots for skills and learning the same skill will increase its damage and/or decrease the EP cost needed to use said skill. The Mirage system is exactly same as the Persona system in that series and each character is tied to the same Mirage throughout the game. The difference in this game being is that, like in Fire Emblem, you can use a master seal to change your Mirage into one of two advanced classes. Doing this will unlock new weapons to craft specific to that advanced class. You can even find/earn enough master seals to switch to the other advanced class and if you crafted all the weapons from the previous class, you will still be able to reforge them. Weapons not crafted however will be lost in the transition until you change back to that class.

One final thing on the battle system I want to touch on is that your experience gain in battle is determined by the level difference between your character and the opponents level. This makes it impossible to go beyond the games intended level without more or less resorting to DLC and abusing tomes. So bosses will almost always be above you in level and should you ever get stuck on one, besides rethinking your strategy, leveling a couple levels can drastically increase your chances of winning as like I’ve mentioned previously is that damage is tied to the level difference between you and your opponent. Personally I’m not a huge fan of levels being the primary factor in determining damage as I tend to skip battles when they feel unnecessarily long or the game feels grindy, which in this case I felt there was a bit of both but mostly the former.

Some things that I dislike about the game but haven’t really touched on is that the AI for choosing session attacks in the latter half of the game can be bad. Sometimes you’ll get into a battle and your session will end after the first attack as the next one will be nulled or repelled. With the same exact part composition though, you attack the same enemy in a future battle it can be perfectly fine and choose a correct one. Then once again in the next battle after, revert back to the same bullshit you got in the first described battle. It can be very frustrating towards the end of the game as you’re losing attacks that shouldn’t be lost as you have no control over what happens.

The other negative I had is because it’s a Wii U game. This causes the load times to be longer than other comparable games and they have them quite frequently (including menus!). I like the game, but this really grated on me over time and is probably my biggest issue due to how long the game is and how frequently you fight with battles being longer than average to a comparable game as well. Then like many other Wii U games, they have forced Wii U gamepad integration. In this case it’s forced onto you to progress the main story and side stories to read dialogue on it. Otherwise the only other thing that bugs me with regards to it is that the map for an area cannot be found anywhere else except the gamepad, thus causing you to shift attention between the television and gamepad while running through a dungeon.

I also wish the game had gone through some simple quality of life additions. One of which being is that chests, when full with an item that a chest has, returns the item back to the chest. Then you’re forced to sell or use the item (sometimes requiring a battle to use it) just so you can loot the chest. This is antiquated as hell and I absolutely hate it. The other quality of life changes I’ve more or less mention already which would be a sidequest list/tracker so you can track progress more easily. Finally, the other being a way to speed up battles as they can be way too long at times.

All-in-all I think the game is pretty solid in both feel and gameplay, but has some hiccups with regards to not having some basic mechanics that are basically standard these days and forcing Wii U gamepad integration. After beating it I’m also honestly surprised this was localized as there are a ton of vocal tracks throughout the game and Japan is very anal/protective of their music.

Tl;dr

- General aesthetic. They did pretty good with designing most things.

- Large collection of vocal tracks. Surprised it even released here with as many as it had to be honest.

- Battle system in general is pretty good and works well, but does have some negative aspects to it.

Ehhh

- I'm not big on the general theme, but at least it's not that Omega Quintet shit. For what it is though, it did it pretty well.

- Rare enemies seemed to be more tied to specific locations than actually being a rare encounter. Good for grinding if you know where, but not exactly a "rare."

- Sessions can be very long. This is good for loot drops, but makes battles last longer than they should as there's no way to skip normal session attacks or speed them up.

- The game does lag in a few battles at the end of the game. Not a big deal though.

Dislike

- Chapter 3 & 4 felt more grindy than other chapters in terms of items. They are transition chapters where I felt the increased amount of items you need wasn't off set until you gain certain passive skills that are tied to your stage rank.

- The session AI can be pretty bad in the latter half of the game in choosing your parties session attacks.

- Load times and the amount of times you have to load. Flaw of being on the Wii U and made the game feel grinder than it is.

- Lacks a lot of quality of life things that would have made this game much better/smoother to play.

- How strictly damage is tied to level. If you're not within 5 levels of enemies, expect to hit hard or be hit hard. Savage enemies are always 6 levels higher than you for this very reason.

Recommendation: Don’t be afraid to purchase it, but I’m not sure I’d consider buying a Wii U just for this game. It is a pretty solid game with a few somewhat minor issues that I think most people can look past. If you abhor Japanese music with vocal tracks and idols in general, then you may wish to skip this game.

Probably won't do another one of these for a while. Going through Grand Kingdom slowly right now and if I write anything on it then it will just be a tl;dr summary.

Got an email from Amazon that Gal*Gun was delayed until August. I checked Rice Digital's site and it looks like they're still listing it as July, so it might just be Amazon having ZTD-esque inventory issues.

ZTD still have not shipped for me. I've spoken to them twice now, and Amazon still have no clue. I've essentially gotten enough credit back to negate the game to free.

I received my limited ZTD from Amazon today but it came without the watch.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
So it took them all this time to ship the game alone?

WOW, maybe Askys originally delayed the games since the watches weren't ready, and Amazon has been waiting this whole time? I guess there is no way to tell who's story was true, or not.

I'll assume Amazon was getting so much feedback, that they finally decided to ship orders(if they actually physically had the games in hand), as I got my GS order a week ago, so I doubt they didn't have their games either.

So it took them all this time to ship the game alone?

WOW, maybe Askys originally delayed the games since the watches weren't ready, and Amazon has been waiting this whole time? I guess there is no way to tell who's story was true, or not.

I'll assume Amazon was getting so much feedback, that they finally decided to ship orders(if they actually physically had the games in hand), as I got my GS order a week ago, so I doubt they didn't have their games either.
The email Amazon sent out like awhile ago with the $10 credit said they were going to ship the game alone and the watch later.

The whole problem was they took forever to do it. It's not like they were waiting for stock.

Amazon said my ZTD is shipping, so I should get it early next week. In addition, at my local Best Buy I found two copies of the TMS LE; after having checked three times in the past two weeks and them having none, today there's just two copies sitting on the shelf. So if you are still looking for one with GCU, check for it again.

Amazon said my ZTD is shipping, so I should get it early next week. In addition, at my local Best Buy I found two copies of the TMS LE; after having checked three times in the past two weeks and them having none, today there's just two copies sitting on the shelf. So if you are still looking for one with GCU, check for it again.
Whats TMS?

Is Dragon quest heroes for $15 worth it? Keep in mind, my backlog dates back into the ps1 era
I made time to 100% it, and my backlog dates back to the Intellivision. It was pretty great, about as good a fusion of Dragon Quest and Dynasty Warriors as you could hope for. They missed their opportunity to call it "Dragon Warriors" though, and I won't forgive them for that.

Is Dragon quest heroes for $15 worth it? Keep in mind, my backlog dates back into the ps1 era
I've heard it's fun if you like DQ games and/or musou games. I've enjoyed other musou games, but most DQ games are in my backlog, so I was thinking of picking it up if it was ever ~$10. If it was $15 before GCU at BB I'd probably get it myself.

I'll bet. Having no ownership over their creations was the biggest pain when Clover died and spun off into Platinum. Having to say goodbye to Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Godhand, etc must have hurt; and nothing has changed in all this time and they have to accept the possibility of losing Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, etc.
Wait, then who owns Bayonetta? I understand 2 was published by Nintendo, but somebody must have owned it when the first was on PS3 and 360.

Wait, then who owns Bayonetta? I understand 2 was published by Nintendo, but somebody must have owned it when the first was on PS3 and 360.
The way I remember it, Sega owns the IP. They published the first game on PS3/360. They haven't been doing well financially the past few years though, so if it weren't for Nintendo putting up some money for it the game wouldn't exist.

If someone else says something different and has a source, trust them; it's been a long time since I looked into it.

Yeah, I've been tempted to buy some of the DLC but I'm basically just waiting for them to stop making it before I buy anything just in case there's a real final edition with lots of savings on it.
Considering there's hundreds of dollars worth of dlc costumes I'd be surprised if they did that.

I was thinking of giving the new one a try, so that's a shame to hear. I use to love these games on NES and SNES. I'll need to look into it more. Did you happen to play the newest Nobunaga's Ambition game?
yea, Nobunaga's Ambition 14 was trying to go back to their roots like 9 or 10, i think the North America Release includes the PK portion of the game, made it actually enjoyable. ROTK 13 came after and using the same engine just felt cheap and unpolished.

Yeah, I've been tempted to buy some of the DLC but I'm basically just waiting for them to stop making it before I buy anything just in case there's a real final edition with lots of savings on it.
Originally, my plan was to wait too. But since there's not a ton of DLC I want, I've just been buying a few here and there, like the Kasumi and Ayane Senran Kagura outfits and several others.

Got an email from Amazon that Gal*Gun was delayed until August. I checked Rice Digital's site and it looks like they're still listing it as July, so it might just be Amazon having ZTD-esque inventory issues.
I checked where mine is pre-ordered though, videogamesplus.ca, and they still show a 7/26 release date for Gal*gun.

If there's a hazard involving the Titan swallowing and spitting out the characters I can already expect YouTube videos with vore clips of each girl... and Eliot.

Wow, that's crazy, I used to joke about Mai being a perfect fit for the cast, never thought it would happen. Now they need Litchi or Makoto Nanaya.
I'm hoping they'll eventually add something Taimanin Asagi related possibly the costumes or even Asagi herself playable.

Will wait for Dead or Alive Second Last Round
I wouldn't bother expecting a Complete Edition or another version since Team Ninja said Last Round would be the final version but it would still receive DLC. Even if another version was released it'd still be incomplete like DOA5 Ultimate and DOA5 Last Round not having all the costumes previously released as DLC included in the newer copy.

Yeah, that's worth considering. The more they add the less likely it seems. Last Round didn't even have all of Ultimate's DLC, right?
It only had about 4 or 5 packs and the rest of the Ultimate costumes can be bought in a bundle for $93, but even that bundle doesn't include ALL the DLC Ultimate carried. Some side DLC packs are sold separately and afterwards comes the Season Passes. As someone who bought DOA5 Last Round late last year along with all the DLC up to Season Pass 2 it was a bit of a hassle trying to figure out what I needed to buy. There has been sales for the Ultimate Content Bundle and Season Pass 1 and 2 so far from time to time (Season Pass 2 currently on sale) for $55.

For those of you with prime and maybe 10$ credit from the ztd issue amazon warehouse has a 20% off coupon circulating.  Doesn't work on everything.  Especially most consoles.  the code is WDEARLY20. 

bread's done
Back