Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I missed Neptunia VII's release on PC last week because there wasn't a Steam page for it at the time. Otherwise this is a decently release heavy week with a rather large variety of genres being covered. Hopefully I didn't get too much wrong or leave anything out with the large amount of releases. Also in case anybody missed them, my thoughts/reviews for Star Ocean 5, Atelier Sophie & Tokyo Mirage Session. Finally the most amazing game during last weeks SGDQ run through was the Japanese game, Pepsiman. It's even dubbed in English.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Megadimension Neptunia VII (RPG)

Weekly Releases (July 10th - July 16th)

7th Dragon III Code: VFD

- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: Yes, on eShop.
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Try the demo before you buy. You cap out at level 10 in it and can transfer progress to the game, should you purchase it after. Transfer to the main game also allows you to reallocate points.

Monster Hunter Generations

- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Action RPG / Monster Hunter
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Yes, 4-Player.

- Comments: Demo does not save progress and thus does not carry over I think? I wish we'd see one of these on PS4/XB1 or PC as I'm not a fan of the handheld controls for this type of game.

Resident Evil 5

- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter / Survival Horror
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Yes.

- Comments: Ported to current consoles. Includes the previously PC exclusive No Mercy Mode.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force

- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Action

- Comments: No online and digital only, but the Asia physical edition is in English. Be wary about purchasing as it's considered fairly bad in comparison to past games. So make sure to research before thinking of purchasing.

UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.

Cosmic Cavern 3671 宇宙最大の地底最大の作戦

- Genre: Action Strategy
- Online: Leaderboards only.

- Comments: PC port of an old game that plays like and predates Dig Dug.

Muv-Luv

- Genre: Visual Novel

- Comments: Contains the first two arcs, Extra & Unlimited. Third one coming at a later date. Queue 'It's Happening' for the people of this thread?

EXZEAL

- Genre: SHMUP

- Comments: Local multiplayer/co-op only.

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO

- Genre: SHMUP
- Demo: Demo located at Playism site.

Ghost Sweeper

- Genre: Action Adventure

- Comments: Thai developed, but what the hell.

Bot Vice

- Genre: Gallery Shooter

- Comments: Also not really Japanese. Plays similar to Time Crisis and Wild Guns.

Past Releases

July 3rd - July 9th

June 26th - July 2nd

June 19th - June 25th

June 12th - June 18th

June 5th - June 11th

Try changing the shipping speed and then changing it back. Mine was also "not yet shipped" but after doing that it immediately changed to "preparing for shipping" with a Tuesday arrival date.
next thing you know, it doesn't arrive on Tuesday. :lol:

For ZTD, I only received my shipping date from Amazon after sending them a message through "Contact Us" and clicking "Where's My Stuff?" asking for an update on the shipping. I got the email with the delivery date less than 30 minutes after that.

I got my 3ds copy of ZTD yesterday, but my vita copy seems to be missing...

It was suppose to be in my mailbox today, but it was empty. I'll have to call USPS tomorrow and hope that they didn't lose it. 

This is just one headache after another. 

I got my 3ds copy of ZTD yesterday, but my vita copy seems to be missing...

It was suppose to be in my mailbox today, but it was empty. I'll have to call USPS tomorrow and hope that they didn't lose it.

Good luck. USPS delivered something of mine to the wrong address and their consumer affairs people wouldn't do shit because tracking showed it as delivered. A week after it was supposedly delivered some people I'd never seen before brought my package to me (opened because they thoughtfully inspected it first) and said they don't know why it was delivered to them.

Moral of the story is USPS is trash.

48 minutes of Yu-Gi-Oh! Saikyou Card Battle footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQFALE1o1mI
3 card field. 4 card starting hand. Holy shit what are you doing Konami. This isn't supposed to be a free to play mobile game on android.

If by some turn of events we do get it localized here, I'm sure it's gonna get butchered to hell. They'll start by taking out the japanese voice acting and not even bother dubbing it 'cause it'd cost too much.

The monsters appearing on the top screen with their own summon and attack animations is cool though.

It would be a pleasant surprise if the 3 field thing is only in the beginning and it opens up to normal 8000LP duels later on.

3 card field. 4 card starting hand. Holy shit what are you doing Konami. This isn't supposed to be a free to play mobile game on android.

If by some turn of events we do get it localized here, I'm sure it's gonna get butchered to hell. They'll start by taking out the japanese voice acting and not even bother dubbing it 'cause it'd cost too much.
I heard all the online Yugioh dueling programs like Dueling Network and YGOPro are being taken down due to legal reasons. Konami seems to be suicidal nowadays. If they don't provide a good alternative to digitally play the game then I think Yugioh will sadly die.

World of Final Fantasy conflicts me a lot. It doesn't look terrible persay, but looks very basic and almost mobile game-ish. I will likely wait for reviews, but I am very unsure of it. Looks like a B S-E title or even C title....

Hell, just be happy it's the game and not the watch that might be missing. At least the game can be replaced, it's highly unlikely any of these places will have extra watch inventory. So things could be worse(a lot worse actually). LOL

Good luck. USPS delivered something of mine to the wrong address and their consumer affairs people wouldn't do shit because tracking showed it as delivered. A week after it was supposedly delivered some people I'd never seen before brought my package to me (opened because they thoughtfully inspected it first) and said they don't know why it was delivered to them.

Moral of the story is USPS is trash.
Exact same thing happened to me. USPS told me they have some system that they can see where it was delivered to, and that it was on my porch. I'm like BS since I was home all day and no postal worker came by. It also shows the wrong city as the delivered part. They told me Sunday deliveries are different and it gets scanned somewhere else, so that's why the city it was delivered to was wrong.

The package shows up a week or two later, not in the usual delivery spot, so I'm assuming someone returned it to me. It was also "thoughtfully inspected". Luckily it was Senran Kagura Estival Versus, and the person who got it probably thought WTF is this lewd weeaboo crap? So they were willing to return it as a good gesture. Although if it was anything else, I can bet you I would not have received it back.

USPS has been rolling out(may have already rolled out, depending on the area) GPS scans on delivery. So for some of them if they say it was on your porch they can actually pull the GPS data and prove it. Doesn't mean someone didn't steal it off your porch or what not though.

If you are really having that many issues with stuff getting jacked up on delivery you should also consider getting in touch with the post master for your area. 

So I changed the shipping speed for ZTD and now I'm getting tomorrow.

Jeez Amazon. It's like you forgot I placed an order with you

The monsters appearing on the top screen with their own summon and attack animations is cool though.

It would be a pleasant surprise if the 3 field thing is only in the beginning and it opens up to normal 8000LP duels later on.
Ugh, well that killed any interest I had in the game. Hopefully, as you said, the 3-card field is only the prologue part of the game and it opens up to normal standards later on.

USPS has been rolling out(may have already rolled out, depending on the area) GPS scans on delivery. So for some of them if they say it was on your porch they can actually pull the GPS data and prove it. Doesn't mean someone didn't steal it off your porch or what not though.

If you are really having that many issues with stuff getting jacked up on delivery you should also consider getting in touch with the post master for your area.
Doesn't mean it is that accurate. As I mentioned, I was home the whole day and my room is right next to the window so I can see the street outside. I also can hear their small truck or whatever it is called, just like how I can also distinguish if a UPS truck is nearby by the sound. Unless you're saying someone would have intercepted it midway without the mailman driving near my house. We also have a gate that is locked, so the person would have to jump over it since all my packages are tossed over.

But I don't have an issue with people stealing stuff. Plus if someone would take the trouble of stealing stuff, they would not be returning the item, regardless of what it is.

A couple of Japanese-centric title deals showing up for the Amazon Prime deals. Trillion, God of Destruction bottomed out around $16, but is now back on the rise. And Megadimension Neptunia VII is at $30. Nitro Blasterz is all the way down to $20, which is a very good deal for a highly rated game.

I'm getting really concerned by the fact that my ZTD Watch Edition is still "not yet shipped" with an estimated arrival date of tomorrow. :???:

Usually reliable Best Buy actually let me down this time. 7th Dragon came in bubble mailer. It was mostly fine, but one corner got smushed.

Probably a dumb question, but did you wait awhile before approving the shipping delay?
I never even got a shipping delay notification, but I still received my game yesterday. I'm under the impression that Amazon, like most companies, is not communicating with the different employees involved in managing this situation

I had 2 day shipping with my order of ZTD watch edition, but instead it was shipped on Saturday with UPS surepost with a delivery date of Wednesday.

So I continued playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions into NG+ to clear out the legendary arena as well the secret boss both of which are exclusive to NG+. It looks like it's not really possible to prepare for this fight without using the exp dlc map since theres no easy way to level up after the end game other than the legendary arena but at that point you are not quite high enough level to beat it consistently. Even when you become strong enough the exp gain is still too slow.

Got my copy of 7th Dragon from BB in a bubble mailer, but it was miraculously unharmed.

Amazon only said my Vita version was shipping, but now apparently both copies are shipping together and will arrive on Wed.

It doesn't make any sense that other people who ordered Watch Editions have gotten their games already while my order is still in limbo. :headache:
Well the Aksys guy said everyone would have theirs 1-2 days after release max so are you sure you haven't gotten it? He wouldn't lie.

Well the Aksys guy said everyone would have theirs 1-2 days after release max so are you sure you haven't gotten it? He wouldn't lie.
I probably just screwed myself over--thinking that the status would change to "Shipping Soon" like it did for some, I changed the shipping speed to Standard (4-5 days) and now the shipping date is unknown. :wall: :wall: :wall:

bread's done
Back