Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if PQUBE has announced the Steinsgate 0 US/EU date yet? I haven't seen anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The date is currently "2016." I don't think we'll get it before October though, seeing as PQube/RiceDigital arre a fairly small operation and they already have relatively big releases planned for August and September.

You do know that you don't have to use a keyboard right??
Haha, I'm aware. But I prefer to play my games on a big TV and not a computer monitor. Now, I'm sure there are many ways to hook up the computer to a TV and connect some wireless controllers while I'm at it, but that is pretty inconvenient for me. Call me stubborn, but I just prefer the convenience of consoles to PC. I'm sure plenty of people prefer PC gaming, but me, not so much. :whistle2:|

But you do still have to play on a Microsoft Office machine.
tumblr_lxjpthTzUR1qg7efdo1_500.gif

This is really, really depressing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUz-rSjcrIQ

An actual MGS3 "remake" with those graphics (and maybe MGS V's control scheme) would be phenomenal.

You say Berserk and all I think of (fondly I might add) is this :

berzerk_2.png
One of my favorite Atari games of all time. As a kid, I always thought that the smiley-face enemy (Evil Otto) was put in the game as an evil version of Pac-Man.

And you couldn't kill the bastard either. It's like that snow monster in Skifree.

This is really, really depressing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUz-rSjcrIQ

An actual MGS3 "remake" with those graphics (and maybe MGS V's control scheme) would be phenomenal.
Agreed. But if I was in Japan and was addicted to gambling, this would be an awesome way of burning through my life savings. :)

Konami has been in gambling for years now. I live in Vegas, and they have a HUGE facility here, and it's for nothing but gaming machines. There's more money in gambling than video games I suppose.

Konami has been in gambling for years now. I live in Vegas, and they have a HUGE facility here, and it's for nothing but gaming machines. There's more money in gambling than video games I suppose.
well part of it is it's not legally considered gambling since they don't win money in most cases so there are less taxes they are paying out. Basically a whole bunch of lego mumbo jumbo that results in them getting alot of money for significantly less work.

Yeah man, when I got down here I thought that was so cool and wanted to work there...and then I realized the truth.

I'd much rather a remake of the original Metal Gear, followed by one of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

The original MGS3 has aged pretty well, especially if played on the HD collection. Though, honestly, while a great game, it's still my least favorite of the MGS titles.

Just watched Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc Episode 1. I think the producer is the same one who did P4G anime, and is famous for being a stickler to the source material. I really liked it.

About to watch the Future Arc, I remember reading that the Future Arc will not spoil the Danganronpa 3 game, cannot find that source again though. Anybody remember that? I'd hate the spoil the game by watching the anime.

Just watched Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc Episode 1. I think the producer is the same one who did P4G anime, and is famous for being a stickler to the source material. I really liked it.

About to watch the Future Arc, I remember reading that the Future Arc will not spoil the Danganronpa 3 game, cannot find that source again though. Anybody remember that? I'd hate the spoil the game by watching the anime.
I have no idea if it spoils the 3rd but given the track history with the other one that spoils the game i'd bet it probably does too.

Is it going to tie in at all? I'm reading the new game is not going to have any returning characters besides monokuma.

I thought the third Danganronpa game was a separate story and that the whole current story would be resolved in the anime.

I saw the first episode of Future and couldn't finish it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it, but just couldn't sit through it.

I thought the third Danganronpa game was a separate story and that the whole current story would be resolved in the anime.
Thanks, that's what I remember reading about too, that it will not spoil the game. Will watch the first episode, I actually liked Despair EP1 mostly due to how they accurately reflected the game, not too sure about the new character (will not mention to avoid spoilers for others), let's see how that new character plays out.

EDIT: Just finished watching it. Not bad.

Decent week. Gal Gun was originally set to release this week, but due to production issues it has been pushed back (which I guess includes the digital release?). Not much else to say this week.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Angel Express [Tokkyu Tenshi] (Racing Platformer)

- Hikikomori No Chuunibyou (Adventure Platformer)

Weekly Releases (July 17th - July 23rd)

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: First-Person Shooter
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Yes.

- Comments: Why, Nintendo, why.

I am Setsuna

- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: RPG
- Online: N/A

- Comments: If you fall for the Chrono Trigger hype, you're probably going to have a bad time.

Moon Hunters

- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action Adventure / RPG

- Comments: Not really Japanese, but fits well enough. Previously released on PC.

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter

- Comments: Previously released on the PS4. I really hope online isn't broken.

Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault

- Genre: Tower Defense / Action

- Comments: Previously released on the PS4 & Vita.

Hunter's Legacy

- Genre: Metroidvania
- Demo: Yes.

- Comments: Not really Japanese.

Empty Horizons

- Genre: Visual Novel

The Afterglow of Grisaia

- Genre: Visual Novel

Past Releases

July 10th - July 16th

July 3rd - July 9th

June 26th - July 2nd

June 19th - June 25th

June 12th - June 18th

On ZTD. I think Im about 60% through the game. I find Team Q kinda unless and not interesting enough. I did find out who Q was and I didnt really care. I absolutely hate Eric.

Fresh off the EVO 2016 Guilty Gear grand finals, we had an announcement that Dizzy would be joining the game tomorrow. The DLC will be free for the first two weeks I think, and you can download it even if you don't have the game yet if I remember correctly.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/07/17/dizzy-to-join-guilty-gear-xrd-revelator-cast-tomorrow/

The link does not a have a trailer embedded yet, but they do have a replay of the entire finals. They don't have the correct time-stamp, so go to around 7:36:00 if you want to check her out (Get it?).

Dizzy looks terrific too!

I'd much rather a remake of the original Metal Gear, followed by one of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.
I'd trade MGSV's existence for either of those things. In fact, that's what MGSV should have been to begin with instead of the bad fanfiction level story it ended up being.

Fresh off the EVO 2016 Guilty Gear grand finals, we had an announcement that Dizzy would be joining the game tomorrow. The DLC will be free for the first two weeks I think, and you can download it even if you don't have the game yet if I remember correctly.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/07/17/dizzy-to-join-guilty-gear-xrd-revelator-cast-tomorrow/

The link does not a have a trailer embedded yet, but they do have a replay of the entire finals. They don't have the correct time-stamp, so go to around 7:36:00 if you want to check her out (Get it?).

Dizzy looks terrific too!
Dats cool. Whens Bridget?

Am I a pedo cuzz I like Dizzy and she is only 8?
Mileena is like 1 in MK9 and I creamed my pants when I saw her.

Some think there might be other concerns other than the pedo aspect with her... but I can't imagine why.

tumblr_inline_nlxev5Vmn41s54r3f_540.jpg

Now THAT'S a woman!

...or a toddler. I dunno. This whole thing is screwy.

Is am setusna going to get a physical release anywhere or sometime down the road?
There hasn't been any announcements that one would be, though they did give us the typical, "This might be released on Vita if the digital sales are good enough." Japan got physical releases, but my guess is it'll have to sell well in the US. I'm going to buy it eventually, but maybe not immediately.

I'd trade MGSV's existence for either of those things. In fact, that's what MGSV should have been to begin with instead of the bad fanfiction level story it ended up being.
That's the only silver lining for Konami. No matter who they get to develop the next Metal Gear game, the story can't possibly be as weak as MGSV's. Honestly, I wish Metal Gear 1 and 2 would have been made right after MGS4, instead of Peace Walker.

It's a shame Kojima took everything that didn't work in PW and doubled it for MGSV. The repetition of those sides ops...ugh. I'll give MGSV credit for the controls though. The Fox Engine is impressive.

That's the only silver lining for Konami. No matter who they get to develop the next Metal Gear game, the story can't possibly be as weak as MGSV's. Honestly, I wish Metal Gear 1 and 2 would have been made right after MGS4, instead of Peace Walker.

It's a shame Kojima took everything that didn't work in PW and doubled it for MGSV. The repetition of those sides ops...ugh. I'll give MGSV credit for the controls though. The Fox Engine is impressive.
I'll admit to V having a very forgettable story, but I don't understand the level of hate it gets. If people are upset that it's obviously unfinished, that's understandable. But when I hear someone say that it wasn't as good as IV's, that's when I lose it. IV's entire existence is such an embarrassment. The gameplay is the most rigid of the entire series, the cutscenes are the worst in the series, and the story is just endless cringe. The entire Eastern Europe chapter is infuriatingly unnecessary, the codec calls are especially terrible, and that Meryl/Johnny segment is probably the most ashamed I've been playing a video game.

I think Kojima tried his best to make V the ultimate love letter to fans
by making the player the actual protagonist to the story
, but when you took the route he did with the game and Konami it left the product lacking as a whole. The gameplay is pretty damn phenomenal, but needed that extra polish to truly shine.

I hope Konami doesn't make anymore Metal Gear games. Not because I'm a loyalist, but the well is dry and trying to get more out of that franchise would just be a mistake.

I'll admit to V having a very forgettable story, but I don't understand the level of hate it gets. If people are upset that it's obviously unfinished, that's understandable. But when I hear someone say that it wasn't as good as IV's, that's when I lose it.
I certainly had fun playing MGSV (though my expectations were low going in) and the gameplay, as far as the controls, were fantastic. But I found everything else, especially with regards to story, to be lazy. I didn't outright hate the game, but there were no shortage of things I didn't like. On the other hand, I loved 4. Not my favorite MGS, but definitely in my top 3.

I'll admit to V having a very forgettable story, but I don't understand the level of hate it gets. If people are upset that it's obviously unfinished, that's understandable. But when I hear someone say that it wasn't as good as IV's, that's when I lose it. IV's entire existence is such an embarrassment. The gameplay is the most rigid of the entire series, the cutscenes are the worst in the series, and the story is just endless cringe. The entire Eastern Europe chapter is infuriatingly unnecessary, the codec calls are especially terrible, and that Meryl/Johnny segment is probably the most ashamed I've been playing a video game.

I think Kojima tried his best to make V the ultimate love letter to fans
by making the player the actual protagonist to the story
, but when you took the route he did with the game and Konami it left the product lacking as a whole. The gameplay is pretty damn phenomenal, but needed that extra polish to truly shine.

I hope Konami doesn't make anymore Metal Gear games. Not because I'm a loyalist, but the well is dry and trying to get more out of that franchise would just be a mistake.
Nah, MGS4 is amazing. Gameplay is the only thing V has over the other games. Outside of that, it's very very very very repetitive. Don't try to use the argument that all games are repetitive either. MGSV had you doing the exact same thing over and over and over.

MGSV's story is what happens when Kojima can't keep his infatuation with Hollywood in check.

Nah, MGS4 is amazing. Gameplay is the only thing V has over the other games. Outside of that, it's very very very very repetitive. Don't try to use the argument that all games are repetitive either. MGSV had you doing the exact same thing over and over and over.

MGSV's story is what happens when Kojima can't keep his infatuation with Hollywood in check.
Gameplay is king though

Gameplay is king though
Maybe, but the gameplay in the others was still great, so it's not a big deal.

MGS4 and updated version of Snake Eater offer a better overall package than Phantom Pain. Those games have both great stories and great gameplay. Phantom Pain has great gameplay but in my opinion it's not used to it's potential with how repetitive the missions are.

Sort of related, but is anyone else unable to scroll down past a certain point when looking at Dualshockers articles? I can't understand why the screen is cut off even after it's finished loading. I'm using Firefox, FYI.

bread's done
Back