Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more free DLC. The 2010-2015 Snow Miku modules still aren't free in NA, but they are in Europe's PSN. However 2016 Snow Miku was recently put up in the last hour or so and is free due to a pricing mistake (It's supposed to be $2):
Guess I was too slow, because it won't let me add to cart.

Also, I just realized I was playing Project Diva X on my Japanese side account. I'm gonna have to replay 5 hours worth of gameplay if I want to play on my main U.S. account...Yay?

going to delete this and post it over on the vita thread instead :p

How are people doing in Shiren on Vita?  Anyone even playing it?

I am currently trying to get through the Tower of Miracles, got to the eighth floor on the first try but the monsters are hitting super hard again in the 40s.  I'm not realy sure how to progress from here on out.  Whether to just continue grinding my one sword and shield or start leveing some new ones or what.   There is very limited info available on the weapons and upgrading takes forever.   I'm using a Lunar Blade +22 (cresent sword 35 power) and an Epic wolfshead +22 (Wolfhead Ultimate form shield 44 defense).  I'm not even sure how you acquire more runes and special powers on your equipment!

I want to try out some new weapons and shields but leveling them up takes forever.  You can't just guess the proper ones to level up.  There's even very little info on the Gamefaq boards for this game.  Anyone have any tips?

nitro and I are the only two people I'm aware of who own Shiren. I haven't gotten particularly far into it as sometimes I progress slowly with these based on my bullshit luck I encounter. So I can't really help you.

In other news, it looks like the Diva X DLC has been fixed with regards to the Snow Miku Pack. I amended my earlier post with the update, so here's the new free DLC and that should be it for the remainder of the week:

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X

PS4

Snow Miku Module Pack 2010-15 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/hatsune-miku-project-diva-x-snow-miku-2010-2015-pack/cid=UP0177-CUSA04518_00-PJDXDLCYUKI39021

Vita

Snow Miku Module Pack 2010-15 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/2010-2015-snow-miku-pack-for-hatsune-miku-project-diva-x/cid=UP0177-PCSE00867_00-PJDXDLCYUKI39021

Unfortunately the Snow Miku 2016 module DLC is now at its appropriate price instead of free. However the Vita version of Sharing the World is still $1 cheaper than the PS4 version with cross-buy available.

If you picked up Hatsune Miku Project Diva X be sure to complete the Survey on the game page.

Scroll to the right to fill it out!

20160830223248.jpg

This is how you can ask them to give us Future Tone in English so some of us can double dip  :D/

This is mainly for collector's of physical VNs:

Chronoclock VN LE Box Set & Exclusive Goods by Sekai Project Kickstarter

It will go for 29 more days. It costs $125 for a box set and $175 for the same box set and a fan book. Do note this game is being made anyways, so this is for physical goods. The game will be on Steam and Nutaku for the 18+ version (never heard of them but they offer hentai games).

Way too rich for my blood though game looks OK. Will just wait for it to be released and buy it from Nutaku.

Don't screw up and miss out though. Like every other Namco Bandai game lately literally did have DLC that ended up being exclusive and impossible to get later

Also Resurrection didn't have sound issues, and apparently the PC version of this sounds fine too (But the Audio sounds like it cuts off early at times). Seems like a bug or bad compression or something
Is your GE2 DLC for the Vita? That's how mine came when I entered the DLC code. Got GE Resurrection for PS4 but the GE2 DLC for Vita. Can't even download it onto my PS4.

I have Shiren, but Mystery Dungeon games are definitely not a favorite of mine.
same hear, hate rogue likes but keep hoping their is one that isnt punishing....just a pipe dream my guess, but did play a little into it and tried the extra dungeons, just too frustrating to play so onto the backlog

same hear, hate rogue likes but keep hoping their is one that isnt punishing....just a pipe dream my guess, but did play a little into it and tried the extra dungeons, just too frustrating to play so onto the backlog
I put several hours into Sorcery Saga and I quickly found out that I make too many rash decisions to successfully play Rogue-like crawlers. Still, it was a fun game, but just not quite my style. Once day I'll be going back and playing it with a different prospective in mind.

OK, so after cramming in a few hours of Project Diva X in between work and all, here's my impressions of the game so far:

While most of the songs are fun to play I'm really NOT digging the "Story Mode" they threw in here. Dialogue is like, "Oh, let's sing more to fill up light inside a crystal." "Everything is awesome thanks!" "Gee, how do we be cool/quirky/elegant/classic/cute?" Sorry if I spoiled that "story" for all of you. 

I mean I wonder how the...you know...um...."overly zealous"....crowd thinks of these anime characters but maybe that's Sega saying something like, your waifu is a total double dumb@$$. So calm down and go outside. I dunno.

For Diva X 2nd I want a story where the troupe gets pissed at Sega for writing a horrible script. Just like in Deadpool.

Oh and did I mention that you MUST go through the story mode to unlock the traditional song play? Add insult to injury none of that counts towards anything except trophies (maybe not even that).

There are a couple of positive things I have to say about the game: The button maps are more balanced than PD F 2nd. Free play on hard is where it's at for experienced players. Most of the time you feel like you're driving the music instead of just shooting notes out of nowhere. 

While I haven't unlocked it yet, there's going to be an event mode where you get to do your own medleys. It'll make it later to where you can make a somewhat customized experience. The built in medleys that serve to be "boss songs" that I played were fun but that's also because I'm cool with Oster Project and MitcheM. 

Just to let you guys know, I came for the music, and surprisingly stayed for the music. Because I always had a weird taste in music...I was the kid in Kindergarten who loved Star Trek TMP's score. I'm just saying. How I made this leap to Vocaloid J-Pop  I'll never know.

TL;DR: Fun music.  fuck the story mode. This is a first few hours in impressions so this isn't a final review. 

I'm sure this is posted in other threads, but:

September Free PS+ Games

• Lords of the Fallen :ps4:
  • Journey :ps4: :ps3:
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands :ps3:
  • Datura :ps3:
  • Badland :ps4: :ps3: :vita:
  • Amnesia: Memories :vita:

Hope nobody bought Amnesia the other week when it was on sale.

OK, so after cramming in a few hours of Project Diva X in between work and all, here's my impressions of the game so far:

While most of the songs are fun to play I'm really NOT digging the "Story Mode" they threw in here. Dialogue is like, "Oh, let's sing more to fill up light inside a crystal." "Everything is awesome thanks!" "Gee, how do we be cool/quirky/elegant/classic/cute?" Sorry if I spoiled that "story" for all of you.

I mean I wonder how the...you know...um...."overly zealous"....crowd thinks of these anime characters but maybe that's Sega saying something like, your waifu is a total double dumb@$$. So calm down and go outside. I dunno.

For Diva X 2nd I want a story where the troupe gets pissed at Sega for writing a horrible script. Just like in Deadpool.

Oh and did I mention that you MUST go through the story mode to unlock the traditional song play? Add insult to injury none of that counts towards anything except trophies (maybe not even that).

There are a couple of positive things I have to say about the game: The button maps are more balanced than PD F 2nd. Free play on hard is where it's at for experienced players. Most of the time you feel like you're driving the music instead of just shooting notes out of nowhere.

While I haven't unlocked it yet, there's going to be an event mode where you get to do your own medleys. It'll make it later to where you can make a somewhat customized experience. The built in medleys that serve to be "boss songs" that I played were fun but that's also because I'm cool with Oster Project and MitcheM.

Just to let you guys know, I came for the music, and surprisingly stayed for the music. Because I always had a weird taste in music...I was the kid in Kindergarten who loved Star Trek TMP's score. I'm just saying. How I made this leap to Vocaloid J-Pop I'll never know.

TL;DR: Fun music. fuck the story mode. This is a first few hours in impressions so this isn't a final review.
CLsgGLi.jpg

Also I can't believe no one has mentioned what's special about today yet :shame:

The key for all rogue type games like Shiren is taking your time, using your items, using limited movement to help and trying to minimize changes such as rusting equipment and status changes. I can't wait to play it again...will do when I get more time....still haven't finished Criminal Girls 2 and I'm close enough to the plat....least a few hours.

CLsgGLi.jpg

Also I can't believe no one has mentioned what's special about today yet :shame:
Hmm...let's see... 1955 William Cobb has the first solar powered car...1886 there was an earthquake in South Carolina...oh...1888 Jack the Ripper's first victim! Yikes. 1897 Edison Patented the Kinetograph...Chris Tucker's birthday?

Oh...wait...I get it!

45e1ada04b3b951e56d7a0d0bebd11cc9c64ce38_hq.jpg

I have Shiren figured out now.  Finally figured out how to upgrade weapons and shields by feeding them to the Mixer monsters on floor 14 of the Tower of Fortune.  Got scared once (and "Lesson Learned" achievement) when I lost my sword by throwing it at a sleeping Mixer lol. But when I got it back from the sentry Tag guy it still had its runes on it. 

Game isn't hard you just have to stick with it.  I have almost 30 hours played now and haven't had a single bad wipe yet.  You just have to keep a steady count on your Undo Grass and Escape Scrolls.   Otherwise you'd never be able to leave the dungeon.  Revival Grass is useless. 

Ehhh, sorry to pester some of you, but I need to clarify something.

Let's say I'm an Elite BBY and GCU member and buy a 60 dollar game for 48 dollars with the GCU discount. If within 30 days Bestbuy lowers the price or has the game on sale for 40 bucks, I can Price Match it and essentially then only pay 32 bucks (a refund of 16 would be applied) correct? I can't find the Price Match period online for Elite members. Sorry. I wanted to get God Eater soon and just hope they put it on sale within 30 days.

Let's say I'm an Elite BBY and GCU member and buy a 60 dollar game for 48 dollars with the GCU discount. If within 30 days Bestbuy lowers the price or has the game on sale for 40 bucks, I can Price Match it and essentially then only pay 32 bucks (a refund of 16 would be applied) correct? I can't find the Price Match period online for Elite members. Sorry. I wanted to get God Eater soon and just hope they put it on sale within 30 days.
That is correct.

Yes. It's the last paragraph in the price match guarantee policy. Only an incompetent employee could read it and not properly do the pricematch.

The Price Adjustment period is 14 days for regular customers, 30 days for Elite members, and 45 days for Elite Plus. Those tiered day increments are also the same for returns under their return policy. You can only get one price adjustment per item. (If it got discounted a second time and you already got a price adjustment, you can't get another adjustment.)

Thank you everybody. Appreciate the responses. Now to decide when to pull the trigger on the game.
If you decide to buy the game and it gets a lower price make sure to use POST PRICE ADJUSTMENT instead of price match. It'll save you a headache dealing with CS.

SJW train tootin' real hard after the DoA X3 VR demo. Seriously, people care more about fantasy "harassment" than they do real harassment.

The Price Adjustment period is 14 days for regular customers, 30 days for Elite members, and 45 days for Elite Plus. Those tiered day increments are also the same for returns under their return policy. You can only get one price adjustment per item. (If it got discounted a second time and you already got a price adjustment, you can't get another adjustment.)
Do you happen to know if they add additional days for returns for shipped items? I'm an Elite member and managed to return shipped items slightly beyond 30 days but I'm unclear about how many days beyond the regular return policy. I know I'm talking about returns instead of a price adjustment but I'm hoping it can be as many as 45 days on returns for shipped items.

Hoping Bestbuy carries the Limited Edition of Sword Art Online:Hollow Realization with GCU. Saw it listed at one point but it appears to have disappeared.

Do you happen to know if they add additional days for returns for shipped items? I'm an Elite member and managed to return shipped items slightly beyond 30 days but I'm unclear about how many days beyond the regular return policy. I know I'm talking about returns instead of a price adjustment but I'm hoping it can be as many as 45 days on returns for shipped items.

Hoping Bestbuy carries the Limited Edition of Sword Art Online:Hollow Realization with GCU. Saw it listed at one point but it appears to have disappeared.
If it's a pre-order, it gives them some sort of error in there system saying it's past the return date. CS just has to note the ship date, and override it, completing the return. The shipping date is considered the sale date. Yes, you can encounter problems if the person doesn't know what they are doing. Just tell them it was a pre-order, or your shipping date.

You were probably able to sneak past the 30 day mark because they overrode it in order to do the return in the first place. They could have denied you if they checked the release/ship date.

If it's a pre-order, it gives them some sort of error in there system saying it's past the return date. CS just has to note the ship date, and override it, completing the return. The shipping date is considered the sale date. Yes, you can encounter problems if the person doesn't know what they are doing. Just tell them it was a pre-order, or your shipping date.

You were probably able to sneak past the 30 day mark because they overrode it in order to do the return in the first place. They could have denied you if they checked the release/ship date.
She was going to deny my return but then I asked "Don't they give you extra days since it had to be shipped?" and then she mentioned something about 15 days but I couldn't make it out and she put in the return. I could have been lucky that one time but I really wish they allowed extra days for when things don't ship right away.

Looks like DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu (DoDonPachi Resurrection) will be hitting Steam soon. They put up an unlisted trailer for it (found through their site only), but of course that doesn't mean it will hit today. I think originally this was planned to release in 'Fall' which is still a few weeks away.

[customspoiler='Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9QWQNqWRg[/customspoiler]

Looks like it comes with 8 different modes, which I think is all of them from the various versions (Such as Black Label). Also has local co-op as well, which is nice.

bread's done
Back