Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fairy Fencer F was an alright game. I snagged the PS3 LE from NISA when it was released and felt little need to buy it again for the PS4. It was a lot like playing a Hyperdeminsion Neptunia game, but without a lot of character development, and with the Neptunia grind.

**Edit** If I remember correctly, the PS4 release did seem to add more to the game that some said was more enjoyable. Also looks like they added two more slots in your party when battling.
I heard differently that the game was super easy like brain dead easy. So I dont think that it could be both super easy and super grindy.

40 minutes til that deal for fairy fencer ps4 goes live for those interested. Guess I got here just in time.
It's live now for Prime Members. The moment it went up at $41.60, it said it was 100% claimed which I find hard to believe. Regardless, it's not worth the asking price in my opinion.

FFF only $10 cheaper & Sold out in less than minute...

tumblr_oj6zc8iEdW1tydz8to1_540.gif

I heard differently that the game was super easy like brain dead easy. So I dont think that it could be both super easy and super grindy.
I personally wouldn't say it was super easy depending on how you play. If you were to fight EVERY battle you encounter, and look for battles to fight, and don't go straight to the objectives, then I suppose it could be easy which means it was grindy since you had to fight constantly.

The way I played, I progressed naturally and it was really tough. It was a game I wanted to rush through, but could not for the first 1/3 of the game. I was always in danger and characters dying constantly during boss fights. I eventually had to grind to make it easier. So unless I unlocked some super secret difficulty, it was anything but brain dead easy lol. Brain dead easy requires no strategy, and you can basically auto attack your way through the game without having to ever pay attention.

It's live now for Prime Members. The moment it went up at $41.60, it said it was 100% claimed which I find hard to believe. Regardless, it's not worth the asking price in my opinion.
Well its an iffy game. Iffy games are never worth more than $15 unless your collecting the Collector Editions.

Now thats not a remark on the games' quality, but based on constant PSN sales for their games with STEEP discounts.

While i prefer physical, their sale prices on PSN are too hard to pass up.

So 100% claimed at that price is only possible if their was a limit of 5 copies to sell.

Just in case anybody was interested and needed a reminder, GamesDoneQuick did start today. Currently it's on a 4-man head-to-head Mega Man race.

I hope it's Legend of the Ghost Lion. How long must I wait for Kemco to port their true masterpiece?!
The woman on the NA NES cover looks like a younger, blonde Red Sonja. Then she dyed her hair in the blood of her enemies and decided that bikini scalemail was more fashionable.

EDIT: God, I can't spell today.

[attachment=25084:Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 1.29.57 AM.png]

Hatsune Miku T7 customization (credit goes to Pay-Chan)

https://youtu.be/RrTDJAcBFa0

(at least I think they're new since they were on the front page)
Yes, 3 were added last Wednesday which Supplice linked an article to and 3 more were added today. I'll be listing them all tomorrow regardless for the weekly thread related free PSN items update. Well after the demo(s) I know of show up anyways, whenever that will be since it'll include a Steam demo link.

Nice, the spec requirements are about the same as Zestiria, so it'll likely run well since the spec requirements are actually rather low. Disappointed they decided to use Denuvo though, not that I've had any real problems with it. Hopefully they patch it out down the road.

Also good to see 60FPS as default this time around too. Sucks that 4K will be upscaled for users who go that route and seems a bit weird to have it upscale on PC. I'll likely be using GeDoSaTo render it at higher and then downscale to 1080 to help smooth everything out which will likely upscale before downsampling anyways which gives very minimal improvement. Not that the game will really need it with how the art style is.

Rumors going around that Scalebound is getting canceled. That's a shame.
In the past five or six years, Microsoft has had an increasingly spotty record of handling its platform-exclusive titles that aren't handled by it's own internal studios. And even the area of its own internal studios has started to erode. It's a big part of why Sony was able to pull the rug out from under them with the PS4. The fiasco that was the Xbox One launch wouldn't have been nearly as damaging if Microsoft had a handful of critically-acclaimed and popular titles to bolster the Xbox One's exclusive offerings. Instead, most of the early exclusive titles for the Xbox One fell flat on their faces.

Scalebound looks like it's headed in the same direction. Microsoft really needs to start getting their third-party relations under better control. This isn't the first title of this nature that they've bungled. Phantom Dust was well on its way to becoming a well-received exclusive title when Microsoft themselves yanked the plug out hard. With the Xbox One, Microsoft seems to have lost sight of the exclusive support that made the Xbox brand strong in the first place, instead focusing on a media initiative that crashed and burned. Sony doubled-down on developer support, designing their system from the ground up to be attractive to third-party developers, and simultaneously continuing their policy of maintaining a strong stable of in-house development studios. The results are obvious.

I am waiting for Crackdown and that is when I will buy a Xbox 1.

Also so maybe I can play Mass Effect A MP on both consoles.

I choose well on which next gen system to get (course I wasn't going to get an xbone). Wanted the system that I knew Japanese developers would support.

Whaaaaaat!? Scalebound got cancelled!? They had so much done on it! I was looking forward to that! fuck.

Well... looks like my PS4 collection will continue to dominate my Xbox One collection, which is mostly mainstream multiplats and a few exclusives. Seriously, if it weren't for Killer Instinct, I don't know if I'd own the damn thing.

Seriously, though, I'm shocked about Scalebound. I would never have even thought of it being cancelled. Sony should pick that shit up. That would be a fucking kick right in the dick to MS.

I was thinking about getting a Scorpio but now I am thinking the money will be better use for PSVR so I can play Summer Lesson and Miku in VR

PS Games for Jan 2017

Fate/Extella

Digimon World: Next Order

Reisdent Evil 7

Tales of Beseria

Gravity Rush 2

MOtoracer 4

Are all new games in the US coming to the PS4 that are not remakes.

Not 100% on Yakuza 0

Seriously, though, I'm shocked about Scalebound. I would never have even thought of it being cancelled. Sony should pick that shit up. That would be a fucking kick right in the dick to MS.
I don't know if it would be possible for Sony to pick it up. It all depends on the contracts for the game, as well as the technology being used to create it. If the engine they were using for it isn't multi-platform friendly, than porting it over to the PS4 could be a real expense. And if Microsoft had ownership of the IP as part of their contract for the game, everything would have to be ripped-out/renamed in order to shift it over. So it probably isn't just a matter of "picking it up." Still if it were possible, I agree that it would be a very effective PR move.

The PS4 is dominating on exclusive titles. In terms of Japanese exclusives, the PS4's primary competition is the PC, not the Xbox One. This is not unexpected, Microsoft consoles have never done well in Japan, and usually get much less support from Japanese developers. The only real surprise this generation is the trend for Japanese developers to start supporting the PC through Steam, a trend that only started happening in earnest after Microsoft and Sony both announced that they would be switching over to the x86 architecture.

I do still have to marvel at just how badly Microsoft has botched this console cycle. They started it off in a dominant position, with lots of momentum that they could have capitalized on. Instead they ended up making a plethora of wrong-headed decisions that have come back to bite them over and over. Even after massively shifting the direction of the system they haven't been able to turn things around. This is how mistakes are punished in such a competitive market.

I agree, this month has a bunch of games I'm interested in.

I won't be buying Future Tone again since I wasted a lot on the Japanese version, and they aren't even releasing a localized physical copy.

Definitely getting Yakuza 0, I played through the Japanese version and understood probably a third of the story. Will be nice to see if what I understood was correct or not.

Getting Tales of Berseria since it's Tales. Getting Resident Evil since it seems like a fresh new take on horror. (Even though I don't think its anything resembling the Resident Evil we know)

And then I'll be buying my 3rd copy of Fate/Extella lol. (Regalia Box edition, Velber Box edition, and now the english Noble Phantasm edition...)

Busy expensive month.

I do still have to marvel at just how badly Microsoft has botched this console cycle. They started it off in a dominant position, with lots of momentum that they could have capitalized on. Instead they ended up making a plethora of wrong-headed decisions that have come back to bite them over and over. Even after massively shifting the direction of the system they haven't been able to turn things around. This is how mistakes are punished in such a competitive market.
They basically did what Sony did with the launch of the PS3, thinking they could pull whatever shit they wanted and people would still eat it up. If they had kept that DRM bullshit, not even Killer Instinct could have made me buy the thing, and that is a game I'd literally been dreaming about since the mid fucking 90's.... and it lived up to all expectations.

Difference is Sony mostly managed to turn their shit around toward the second half of the PS3's life... Microsoft isn't showing any signs of picking up steam. They have such little diversity in their already limited exclusive line up. Hopefully Sea of Thieves marks some sign of a return to form for Rare. That would get my blood pumping. If Rare could return to its former glory, then Microsoft would actually have a new and powerful card to add to its hand. Give me some fuckin' Ba-Ba-Battletoads!

February will be even better, with Persona 5, Nioh, and Horizon Zero Dawn.  The first two which I fully expect to be my favorite games of the year.

I hear you. I picked up an Xbox One this holiday season and probably shouldn't have.

Forza Horizon 3 was fun, I guess..

I'll also give ReCore a try when the HDR patch comes out, but I'm not expecting much there.

Question:

Who maintains the wiki for this group or is a group effort?

I would not mind updating it and trying to keep it updated as well.

I do it for the 3DS.

Question:

Who maintains the wiki for this group or is a group effort?

I would not mind updating it and trying to keep it updated as well.

I do it for the 3DS.
You mean this thread's wiki? I did, until it started timing out 98% of the time I clicked "Edit Wiki" and gave up a long time ago. Mentioned it to John several times, but nothing came of it (Unless it works more reliably now). If a new thread is made, I could probably start again. However I almost feel like it should be in a post (OP or first reply) rather than a wiki because of that issue which can crop up.

Anybody can edit it though, but it'd be nice if it was kept uniform. It was what I originally kept up-to-date and pulled releases from there for my weekly release post.

bread's done
Back