Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Compile Hearts is asking the very important question:

Boobs or Butts? Every Vote Counts! :p
tumblr_omiqdnSZYe1up5qwko2_1280.png

tumblr_omiqdnSZYe1up5qwko1_1280.png

Let's not get crazy calling today a holiday. All these special days are BS. We should have a "straight white man" day...and here come the SJWs saying everyday is straight white male day.
Lol agreed. We could just have no special days if equality is what is truly desired

Also I voted life but hometown is also a good choice. The poll keeps going back and forth on which is winning

got to the air ship for cold steel 2.  also found the earth temple I apparently missed at the beginning of the game.  It wont let me go in there though because they don't have "enough time" for that.  So game you have enough time to take an air ship across the country and back to deliver a newspaper, reunite 2 children and get a block of rock crapped from a giant spider but you don't have time to enter a dungeon that was right there?

got to the air ship for cold steel 2. also found the earth temple I apparently missed at the beginning of the game. It wont let me go in there though because they don't have "enough time" for that. So game you have enough time to take an air ship across the country and back to deliver a newspaper, reunite 2 children and get a block of rock crapped from a giant spider but you don't have time to enter a dungeon that was right there?
I found that quite hilarious myself. I knows its supposed to mean you need to further the main plot, but if I can do 5 menial tasks that involve extensive air travel, I can spend a half hour clearing a dungeon and getting some gear.

My Nier Automata Black Box unboxing video:

https://youtu.be/8x_lH4dP4ss

My deepest apologies in advance for the trauma I am about to put you through. 

Thanks for watching!

If you want to know anything about the CE just ask.

I hate unboxing videos but that made me laugh a bit. I hate reaction videos too. One of my friends did both....yeah I stopped watching them for our friendship sake haha.

Now that I'm getting around to playing Atelier Firis from Steam, I'm starting to wish I had just bought the PS4 version with GCU. My system is running everything, but it seems they tried upscaling a Vita version.

Thanks for watching!

I really like the CGI animation of the lamp. it seems strangely familiar hmm...

hmm seems no gamestop within 80 miles has a ps4 copy of umvc3. I guess I'll order it online since it's still available that way. I wonder if it'll really be limited or will gamestop print out another batch.

Thanks for watching!

That video was Oscar Gold worthy....and when I say that I mean this kind of Oscar Gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5MtYNispY

:lol:

I wish we got Marvel vs Capcom Collection instead
As far as I'm concerned, Capcom can just keep re-releasing Marvel vs Capcom 2. I don't even know if it's available on PSN anymore (doubt it), but I bought it digital on the PS3 back in 2010 and still have it downloaded on my system. They perfected MvC with that title and, in my opinion, it's Capcom's best fighter--way better than MvC3, Street Fighter IV & V...etc. Best selection of characters too.

As far as I'm concerned, Capcom can just keep re-releasing Marvel vs Capcom 2. I don't even know if it's available on PSN anymore (doubt it), but I bought it digital on the PS3 back in 2010 and still have it downloaded on my system. They perfected MvC with that title and, in my opinion, it's Capcom's best fighter--way better than MvC3, Street Fighter IV & V...etc. Best selection of characters too.
I used to think MvC2 was the pinnacle of fighters when I was younger. The better I got at fighters in general just made me sad at how much of the roster is completely useless. That's the case for almost every fighter ever, but the mechanics of MvC2 just very clearly favor about 8-10 characters max, and in a roster of 56 that's not the best endorsement.

My favorite Capcom fighters would probably be CvS2, 3S, Rival Schools/PJ, and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Alpha 2 and 3 are in there as honorable mentions, too.

I played a lot of Marverl vs Capcom 1 in the arcade when I was in high school.  Nothing compares to that.  I always wanted to get one of those cabinets.   But now I think I'd rather have a Final Fantasy Dissidia cabinet. 

re: Fire Emblem Heroes

I pulled a 5* Seliph a few days ago so that was cool.  Then the F2P mobile gods rained orbs down upon us yesterday and I got this pull:
IMG_3076_zps7ozaljvw.png

5* Leo AND 5* Ephraim in the same pull! Finally some rng luck!  Three 5*s in just a few days.  So stoked.  Not top tier characters but they will be fun and useful nonetheless.  I couldn't be happier. 

I don't know how people can't write these arena guides with 5* Takumi and 5* Linde, Nowi, etc like you can just force yourself to get those characters.  I'm really happy to get some cool new guys and have several new 5* dudes now. 

Got a 3* male Robin, and two 4* female Corrin last week too.  Might have to use my first 20k feathers on Robin! Boy is it anticlimactic when you summon and then get a focus char video, but the guy turns out to be a 3*. lol

I remember playing SFA3 PSX a lot with that World tour mode. I actually liked the SF EX I had....#2 or #3. I used Doctrine Dark a lot I believe. I did love Rival Schools as well....played a lot of that as well, though it was just renting it. So many different Capcom fighters back then.

I have a feeling that if Nier didn't just come out, the votes would be pretty different right about now. 2b turned a whole group of people into assmen.

I remember playing SFA3 PSX a lot with that World tour mode. I actually liked the SF EX I had....#2 or #3. I used Doctrine Dark a lot I believe. I did love Rival Schools as well....played a lot of that as well, though it was just renting it. So many different Capcom fighters back then.
Rival Schools was soo good on PSX. Played the hell outta that game with one of my friends. I still have the scratched up disc-only somewhere. That was right around the time I got the plug n play mod chip that stuck in the back of the playstation. We just rented games from blockbuster, came home and copied them on the pc cd-burner and then owned them forever. Such a good time.

Street Fighter EX was such an amazing game too. Those were my two most played fighting games that era.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 & 2 are dated enough that a straight port wouldn't really be appropriate on modern hardware. You could do it, but it would probably just get the download-only treatment. It would be great if they gave them the HD-remaster treatment, with vector re-draws of all the original sprites. (for maximum detail and scalability) But that process isn't cheap, so it's unlikely to happen.

I picked up my copy of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 at the local GameStop on Tuesday. (PS4) I liked MvsC 3, and with the way that the licensing for these games fluctuates, it's worthwhile to pick up physical copies while the getting is good. You never know when those licenses are going to expire and supply for the game goes up in smoke. Even the digital copies can get pulled from on-line stores.

What Capcom really needs to do is nail down a standardized fighting game "framework" that would allow them to essentially re-create all of their classic fighters on modern hardware, and use that as a basis for future fighting games as well. That way they could get their money's worth on the technical expense of developing the engine, and porting older titles would also be cheaper. It would just be a matter of tweaking the asset settings for each title to insure that it behaves like the original game. You wouldn't even need new assets for the remakes if you didn't want to.

The thing I loved most about those fighters is the extras they put in there other than just the arcade mode. I remember Rival Schools having a Rivalry Mode or something where you could unclock stuff, and all those mini games like the batting one. SFA3 had the awesome world tour mode. Those things matter a lot to me sometimes because I don't always have opponents and usually get my butt handed to me online haha. It's probably the reason I played VF4 to death....the greatest hits one that had where you can face real AI opponents based on people and could build up your character. Led to a lot of fun for sure. Soul Calibur's soul mode was an addictive one too.

It makes me sad that the fighting games nowadays are like arcade  mode (sometime don't even have this!) and a basic story mode. Maybe a survival mode too, which is honestly one of my least favorite modes unless it has leveling up or gaining items or something like some of the BlazBlue or Guilty Gear games had.

I'm just not much of fighting game guy anymore. Was addicted for so long, but I just don't play them much anymore.

Compile Hearts is asking the very important question:

Boobs or Butts? Every Vote Counts! :p
I wonder what MidoriMonkey voted...

I played the shit out of MvC2 on my Iphone. And while the game does revolve around only certain key characters, Cable, Storm, Sentinel, Magneto, and a good assist, high-level play is some of the most hype and entertaining action out of all fighting games. I feel like super-broken games are way more entertaining to watch and play than balanced ones. UMvC3 is slightly more balanced, but also revolves around Doom, Vergil, and Zero as well.

Since we're on the topic of fighting games: (Courtesy of Shoryuken)

Chaos Code: New Sign of Catastrophe is Coming to PlayStation 4 and Steam on March 15th

Crack the Whip with The King of Fighter XIV’s First DLC Character Trailer [UPDATED]

Final Fantasy II’s Emperor Seeks Further Conquest in Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade

Team NINJA Shows Off Some More Arc System Works Crossover Costumes for Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

Get Some More Guilty Gear in Your Dead or Alive 5: Last Round with Another Batch of Crossover Costume Reveals

Btw, anyone start playing their Blazblue: Central Fiction yet?

I'm just not much of fighting game guy anymore. Was addicted for so long, but I just don't play them much anymore.
I'm not either. Nobody is. You need roommates or school buddies coming over to enjoy those games. The market is also saturated with fighters. There are SO many titles now. I still appreciate them though. I buy all the good ones and they just sit there wrapped on the shelves. :lol:

It makes me sad that the fighting games nowadays are like arcade mode (sometime don't even have this!) and a basic story mode. Maybe a survival mode too, which is honestly one of my least favorite modes unless it has leveling up or gaining items or something like some of the BlazBlue or Guilty Gear games had.

That's what I loved so much about Injustice. They had a decent selection of modes, plus the Star Labs mode was fun. Hopefully with the leveling-up "gear" feature for Injustice 2, they expand on that. My main complaint with fighting games now is all the annoying DLC nonsense.

I'm not either. Nobody is. You need roommates or school buddies coming over to enjoy those games.
I'll admit, playing DOA: Ultimate around '05 with college buddies was a blast. But I get much more into fighting games now than ever before thanks to online multiplayer.

I'm not either. Nobody is. You need roommates or school buddies coming over to enjoy those games. The market is also saturated with fighters. There are SO many titles now. I still appreciate them though. I buy all the good ones and they just sit there wrapped on the shelves. :lol:
Or a local fgc scene

Btw, anyone start playing their Blazblue: Central Fiction yet?
I feel bad since I completely forgot about the game. I remember buying the limited edition, but never opened it.....Maybe I'll start this weekend.

Also, with the new Senran Kagura out next week in Japan, I'm kinda feeling the urge to import it. I've imported all previous Sony releases for the series, so I guess I want to keep up the trend.

But the real question is, how long will the game take to be brought over to the west. I'm not getting the vibe that it's a main entry, more like a sort of spin off, so maybe there might not be much content to translate. That's the only thing that's holding me back from deciding to import it, I guess.

I realize it's not niche, but I have a question regarding the soon to be released Fire Fades edition of Dark Souls III. It doesn't seem to be getting a US release, so I'm considering importing a European or Asian-English copy. My question is: will the DLC be on-disc or is it a download voucher? I don't have a European or Asian PSN account so I'm hoping it's the former.

bread's done
Back