Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if we will get either of those Fire Emblem Warriors Premium Editions in the States?
We won't. If by some miracle we do, it will also release in Europe. Europe's edition will be a billion times better than ours. Europe's special edition for fates got a steelbook, echos got them the amiibo in the special edition. Europe is getting an amazing collecter edition for metroid, we are getting a soundtrack that they are also getting. We won't, if we do it will be inferior to the edition that will be released in Europe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm playing through Cold Steel on Vita now(a bit slowly, I'm stuck sharing a car with my wife which leaves me stranded at work very late so I play in the office break room at the end of the day sometimes). I really like how character development focused it is. Unless I spend a day grinding (which I don't think is needed, it's just how I play RPG's typically) pretty much every time I play I'm learning something about someone or they're showing a new side of themselves.

EDIT: Is this the kind of game that has a difficult to obtain True Ending? I'm enjoying not playing with a guide, but I hate situation of playing some games where you miss a true ending flag at the midpoint of a long game and get locked out of it.
pfft cold steel barely has any character development let alone a focus on it. there's no true ending. 2 actually does a little development but otherwise the characters are incredibly flat and static throughout the entire games.

I get the feeling that someone just opened Pandora's box...

Here, a deal:

AMZ Lightning Deal - :ps3: Barbie and Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue $39.99 $25.41 (Very rare!) A savings of over 35%! Only 2 hours and 30 minutes left before the deal runs out! Secure your copy now! Only 100% of stock left unclaimed! Hurry before time runs out!

I read that as Barbie and Her Sisters Pussy Rescue.

dbb3b386a2cfa8d681c590b8196bec0f.gif

Sorry I quoted you twice Pheria but just thought it'd be easier to get your attention that way... :D

I'm playing through Cold Steel on Vita now(a bit slowly, I'm stuck sharing a car with my wife which leaves me stranded at work very late so I play in the office break room at the end of the day sometimes). I really like how character development focused it is. Unless I spend a day grinding (which I don't think is needed, it's just how I play RPG's typically) pretty much every time I play I'm learning something about someone or they're showing a new side of themselves.

EDIT: Is this the kind of game that has a difficult to obtain True Ending? I'm enjoying not playing with a guide, but I hate situation of playing some games where you miss a true ending flag at the midpoint of a long game and get locked out of it.
pfft cold steel barely has any character development let alone a focus on it. there's no true ending. 2 actually does a little development but otherwise the characters are incredibly flat and static throughout the entire games.
There's....actually a fair amount of truth to that. A lot of Class VII really does not get the typical treatment that Falcom usually gives to the main characters like in Trails in the Sky. And sadly, yes...Let's hope I don't spoil anything but...Two will leave you wanting too much. If you want to expand on some of the characters, you'll definitely need to take care of those sidequests where you will learn some new bits about some of the characters.

With all of that said...if you become a fan and such, you'll probably want to see it through to its end
as unsatisfying as CS II's ending will be.
Hey though there is Sen III which Kondo-san wants released in the west too. Which I'm gonna love it anyway in spite of the potential to be a 100% hot mess considering all the characters from the previous games involved.
I feel like Agate walking off the airship in Sky 3rd where a chill runs down my spine and my life is in grave danger. Hehehe.

[attachment=27002:20170629182434_1.jpg]

I get the feeling that someone just opened Pandora's box...

Here, a deal:

AMZ Lightning Deal - :ps3: Barbie and Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue $39.99 $25.41 (Very rare!) A savings of over 35%! Only 2 hours and 30 minutes left before the deal runs out! Secure your copy now! Only 100% of stock left unclaimed! Hurry before time runs out!
I see Prime Day discounts have started early!!

Lol, at the 0% claimed....

Yeah, I think I'll stick with PS4. After it releases in Japan if I see a lot "The Switch port is great!" headlines, maybe I'll... Switch. But it seems like the PS4 was the original plan since a Switch port was announced later. Nintendo only seems to really care about the content of games that they themselves are publishing, so I doubt the fanservice or later DLC will differ between the two.
I'm going to stick with the PS4 as well. Slightly concerned about performance and being a port. The first one was on PS4, so I'd expect it to run best there due to experience with the system at the very least.

The first one wasn't particularly good either, which makes this a wait and see in my opinion.

Anyways, Amazon has a giveaway for a Nintendo Switch today as part of their daily whatever until July 10th:

https://www.amazon.com/appgiveaway

No need to download the app, just click View Giveaway next to it and do what it asks. Of course I did not win. PS4 will be possible July 2nd and a bunch of other new junk every day.

EDIT: Nintendo Switch giveaway has ended. The Playstation 4 giveaway begins on Sunday though.

Just a heads up Dal Segno came out today woot! It will release in about 7 hours on Steam or so. I will give my impressions after I download and play it.

I will also be posting Mangagamer, Jast USA, Sekai Project, Denpasoft announcements that will be coming from Anime-Expo. I'm hoping we get the second Da Capo 3 game so I can actually have a story with the characters from Da Capo 3 R's prologue. Still a bit miffed about that. I really hope Denpasoft announces a release date for Wagamama High Spec and it's sometime this summer. Also Sekai Project....Baldr game releases when? I hope most of the games announced are more vanilla in style. I don't mind some Nukige romps, but a lot of those leave a lot to be desired.

Advice time: I got a targeted 95% off groupon code (max discount $30) and the selection is pretty limited. I've narrowed in down between the Witcher 3 Complete costing $10 and Steins;Gate 0 costing like a $1. I'm not sure what to choose - I own the original SG but haven't played it yet. I know you guys'll probably say SG0 (it is thread related after all :p) but I know the Witcher got a lot of praise when it came out, as well as the expansions, so I wasn't sure what to choose and it expires tonight. Thanks for your input

Oh and why in the world is a 95% off coupon a thing? Seems ridiculous but hey I'll take it

I don't know anything about "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" at all, other than the fact that I absolutely love this girl.

f9734f1cf812c294f02f7f8fc87ecd19.jpg

Advice time: I got a targeted 95% off groupon code (max discount $30) and the selection is pretty limited. I've narrowed in down between the Witcher 3 Complete costing $10 and Steins;Gate 0 costing like a $1. I'm not sure what to choose - I own the original SG but haven't played it yet. I know you guys'll probably say SG0 (it is thread related after all :p) but I know the Witcher got a lot of praise when it came out, as well as the expansions, so I wasn't sure what to choose and it expires tonight. Thanks for your input

Oh and why in the world is a 95% off coupon a thing? Seems ridiculous but hey I'll take it
It's the niche thread, but I recommend The Witcher 3 over anything else, one of my favorite games ever, and imo one of the greatest games ever made. Story Telling, Graphics, Polish, Depth, Replayability, Gameplay, it nails everything and is one of the few perfect 10s out there. I have a hard time even trying to come up with a flaw, maybe the world is too large, or combat can few unbalanced at times, but it's really a perfect game.

Max discount of $30 is cheap, shouldn't even be a 95% off coupon. The best discount you can get is with like a $32 item...

Witcher 3 Complete or bust.

I don't know anything about "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" at all, other than the fact that I absolutely love this girl.

f9734f1cf812c294f02f7f8fc87ecd19.jpg
Danmachi is very solid, even the dub isn't completely awful. Although I have a Hestia figure I'd say she's a poormans Ais Wallenstein :whistle2:

Anyone know more information regarding DJMAX Respect western release? All I have been getting is that the release date next month is just for Korea.

I feel like Nier got a stealth reprint by gamestop.
i see 1 complete copy in almost every store & the cases have that freshly opened smoothness to them with crisp manuals.
they are being sold as "pre owned" thou.

Did anyone just crack open the Tokyo Xanadu Limited Edition just to play the Blade game with someone? 

Yeah...it's like they took the low res JPEGs from the game and printed it out. Ugh. 

Still my bro and I played Blade and a simple game of poker with them. It was fun.

I would recommend Witcher 3, you're gonna get a lot more play out of it. I'm a big SG fan and enjoyed SG0, but it felt like it was over so fast.

its about a town with a dungeon in the center. humans each pick a god/goddess to serve under and kill stuff in the tower and in exchange she or he grants them buffs and such. The first season left things unfinished and is mostly about the child main character constantly walking into giant boobs of the goddesses when they aren't actively trying to smother him along with the occasional male body builders pects

Okay, someone really needs to post a new picture for the thread? My arm is getting tired...

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Mangagamer Anime-Expo 2017 Announcements

Full Blog Post

First of all Princess Evangile W Happiness is coming out on July 28th. I liked the original and can't wait for this one.

VNDB

Next is Magical Marriage Lunatics!! Same artist as Princess Evangile and looks like a cute comedy romp. I'm all for it.

VNDB

Evenicle was announced and is another Alicesoft game. The Rance games are interesting so this looks like a must play when it's out.

VNDB

Sekai de Ichiban Dame na Koi aka The Most Forbidden Love in the World. I think that's exaggerating a bit but this one looks interesting.

VNDB

Space Live is a newly announced period game from creators of Dal Segno and Da Capo. It's kind a parody of IDOLM@STER. I'm interested.

Also Managagamer will be developing their own game Koropokkur. It features Itaru Hinoue, the lead artist for AIR, Kanon, Clannad, and Rewrite. It's supposedly about a fairy trying to become human to find love. I can dig it...and it sounds like it's episodic.

Overall a bunch of good announcements and I will likely get all of them.

Heh, I was just cruising VNDB last night and happened to land on Evenicle and was wondering why nobody had picked it up yet.  My mutant psychic powers must finally be developing...or maybe it was just too obvious.  Anyway, looks like a good lineup.

Another slow week with Kirby's Blowout Blast taking the top spot pretty effortlessly. The Steam sale is still going on until the 5th of this week, so there aren't many games releasing. Finally Summer Games Done Quick starts today, so check out the stream or the schedule.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Hop Step Sing! Kisekiteki Shining! (HQ Edition) (VR | Simulation/Music)
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI with Power Up Kit / 三國志VI with パワーアップキット (JP Only | Strategy)
- NOBUNAGA’S AMBITION: Haouden with Power Up Kit / 信長の野望・覇王伝 with パワーアップキット (JP Only | Strategy)
- Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray Wolf / 蒼き狼と白き牝鹿・元朝秘史 (JP Only | Strategy)
- Princess Maker 3: Fairy Tales Come True (Simulation)

Weekly Releases (July 2nd - July 8th)

Kirby's Blowout Blast
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Accel World vs. Sword Art Online
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Action RPG
- Online: Yes.

Revenant Saga
- Platform(s): Wii U
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Digital only. KEMCO mobile port. Previously released on PC, PS3, PS4 & Vita.

埋葬 DIG A BOO
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Early access. Also Chinese dev.

Past Releases
June 25th - July 1st
June 18th - June 24th
June 11th - June 17th
June 4th - June 10th
May 28th - June 3rd

So many announcements, I just remembered it's Anime Expo(?)
glad school girl and drive girls are releasing here, dissapointed that xseed is quite, thought they were doing school girls since its similar to oneechabara but they seem to be more into text heavy story of seasons games these days

I completely forgot about Accel World vs Sword Art.  I meant to import that.  Thanks for the reminder :)

Doh, looks like I need to import .hack GU too.

bread's done
Back