Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
a3392789c9008eb837a17310786c94f1.gif
As long as I'm not Renji

because he's technically dead

Odyssey looks like it will be an amazing game. Can't wait for it.

Although kinda wish I didn't have to buy FE Warriors right now due to Odyssey coming out a week later, but I will be kicking myself in the ass if I don't keep my special edition. Not that I plan to ever flip it, but I have a feeling this will be valuable.

Hey, I could have just said Galaxy's can be had for $1 and left out the rest, but that would have been pretty biased of me.
Perhaps it would have been, had it also not been represented that you could buy that iPhone for a similar deal, however it is still more expensive by a factor of at least 2.

Perhaps it would have been, had it also not been represented that you could buy that iPhone for a similar deal, however it is still more expensive by a factor of at least 2.
It's just a fact that I would have been leaving out all the relevant facts. The price seems great, but fact is I can't just go out and pay $1 and get it without buying anything else.

It's just a fact that I would have been leaving out all the relevant facts. The price seems great, but fact is I can't just go out and pay $1 and get it without buying anything else.
The price is great, when you consider the alternative has you buying a phone and still paying over double the cost of the android. Just a fact that it's still double the price.

Edit: oh, and the iPhone deal is only available for a few months, then it goes away forever. But that was already made clear.

The price is great, when you consider the alternative has you buying a phone and still paying over double the cost of the android.
But I can't go out and tell people that Galaxy's can be had for $1, because that would be a half-truth. That would give the impression that they could just spend $1 and nothing else and get a Galaxy. I also can't talk about how Galaxy's for $1 are a much better deal than an iPhone, because I'm not giving the whole truth of the matter.

Odyssey looks like it will be an amazing game. Can't wait for it.

Although kinda wish I didn't have to buy FE Warriors right now due to Odyssey coming out a week later, but I will be kicking myself in the ass if I don't keep my special edition. Not that I plan to ever flip it, but I have a feeling this will be valuable.
I hear ya man. I don't want to spend money on FE Warriors LE this month either but it simply has to be done. You can't miss out on this one.

I love all these little $60-100 limited editions Nintendo has been putting out lately. Culdcept, Mario Rabbids, Samus Returns, SNES classic, all that stuff. Nice little collectors editions that have some sweet bonuses and don't break the bank.

I don't think think FE Warriors will be valuable, but that's just me. You guys know it hasn't ever gone OOS at Best Buy, right?

It will be, at best, Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

But I can't go out and tell people that Galaxy's can be had for $1, because that would be a half-truth. That would give the impression that they could just spend $1 and nothing else and get a Galaxy. I also can't talk about how Galaxy's for $1 are a much better deal than an iPhone, because I'm not giving the whole truth of the matter.
Fortunately, in this hypothetical world, phones retail for $1.50 and are commonly sold in bundles and when you first told them about the $1 Galaxy, you also mentioned several other competitors low prices, some of whom only produce phones in bundles, therefore, you clearly imply that these low prices could be the result of a bundle deal.
Then in case someone in particular was confused, or didn't know the subject matter he was discussing, you quickly clarified that regardless of whether you buy it in a bundle or singularly, you will be paying, at most, half the price of the iPhone.

Good job! Very unbiased approach of you.

I don't think think FE Warriors will be valuable, but that's just me. You guys know it hasn't ever gone OOS at Best Buy, right?

It will be, at best, Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
I don't think it looks that great in general. I considered it but went with regular because looking at what it comes with I doubt I'll look at that stuff more than once.

Fortunately, in this hypothetical world, phones retail for $1.50 and are commonly sold in bundles and when you first told them about the $1 Galaxy, you also mentioned several other competitors low prices, some of whom only produce phones in bundles, therefore, you clearly imply that these low prices could be the result of a bundle deal.
Then in case someone in particular was confused, or didn't know the subject matter he was discussing, you quickly clarified that regardless of whether you buy it in a bundle or singularly, you will be paying, at most, half the price of the iPhone.

Good job! Very unbiased approach of you.
Yeah, but unfortunately I decided to be biased and only said "In fact, the Galaxy can be had for less than $2." which was leaving out a very important IF at the end of that statement which is where I should have included the rest of the information on how I would have had to spend more than that to get it for that price and the stand alone price is actually more.

I'm surprised I could be so biased. I probably shouldn't tell people I'm a completely unbiased person anymore.

Yeah, but unfortunately I decided to be biased and only said "In fact, the Galaxy can be had for less than $2." which was leaving out a very important IF at the end of that statement which is where I should have included the rest of the information on how I would have had to spend more than that to get it for that price and the stand alone price is actually more.

I'm surprised I could be so biased. I probably shouldn't tell people I'm a completely unbiased person anymore.
Well lucky for you, as I said, you didn't leave that information out. You clarified, in your next sentence, to anyone who may have been born yesterday, that items sold in bulk are the cheapest, that the cheapest price is a result of being sold in bulk.

But maybe you're unlucky, maybe one person just didn't get the message, though you clarified it repeatedly to him and demonstrated the significant price difference between the iPhone and the Android, regardless of whether or not you took advantage of the bundled deal, you'd still be saving 50%, which was the crux of the discussion. Maybe someone desperately wants to be in the right.

You're STILL in luck, my boy! At $1.99, tax free, the vast majority of the costumes can still had for under $2! You don't even need to bring up the 2 for 1 bundles (god forbid you consider bundles), that allow you to purchase some costumes (edit: sorry, phones) for $1.49!

YOU'RE BOTH IDIOTS.

You both win the dumbass award! Congratulations! You can stop competing for this year's prize, you'll be sharing the podium. Be sure to train hard for next year! Somewhere other than here, we have to make way for the next event.

To be honest I was just waiting for someone to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-mnKsDYRss

So you Overwatch people thought you were done and then they went and added these skins to this event:

Unrelated, this is probably the best quality of life change in Cold Steel III:

[customspoiler='Trails of Cold Steel III QOL Change']
iii_20171001194950ors59.png
[/customspoiler]

Also seems like there will indeed be a Cold Steel IV. Bah.
Yeah I heard about cold steel 4. Not surprised since my friend zin predicted it back when 3 as announced since they would need to in order to make money off the engine. Anywho what is the qol improvement there? Being slightly zoomed in doesn't seem that great to me.

One qol improvement they desperately need is a larger font size and to fix that random ass text size thing they have going on where text randomly jumps from really small to really huge for no particular reason.

It would also be nice if they made the maps text readable.

The deals part of this thread seems to be in a drought, so let me flood this place up with DEALS!

Bunch of fairly priced listings on eBay.

Just going to list the few things I found that caught my eye.  Depending on location, tax may apply.  All free shipping.  All are new.  Prices are decent.

Things that are super low stock I'll note (like one or two left).

Hope someone can put these to use!

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and Dice of Fate Vita $15.98

Amiibo: Animal Crossing Series - Mabel $4.99

The Sly Collection $4.98 PS3 - 1 left

Langrisser Re: Incarnatio​n Tensei 3DS $9.49 - 1 left

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star PS4 $22.75

Week 7 of the release bonanza or week 6 for Japanese niche only releases. Outside of The Evil Within 2 and the new Neptune game, nothing particularly notable. Western wise you have the loot box controversal Shadow of War but not much else unless you're into WWE 2K18. Still no word on Summon Night 6, so I won't be listing it.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- A Hat in Time (3D Platformer)
- Sakura Gamer (Visual Novel)
- Beyond Eden (Visual Novel / Yaoi)

Weekly Releases (October 8th - October 14th)

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Raiden V: Director's Cut
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: SHMUP

The Evil Within 2
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Survival Horror

Miko Gakkou Monogatari: Kaede Episode
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC.

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, Switch
- Genre: Arena Fighting / Bullet Hell
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Digital only.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV Special Anniversary Edition
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.

Bad Apple Wars
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel

Retro City Rampage DX
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action-Adventure

Tiny Barbarian DX
- Genre: 2D Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Yono and the Celestial Elephants
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Remake of an old Jaleco arcade game.

Valentine Panic
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel / Memory

Shikhondo(食魂徒) - Soul Eater
- Genre: SHMUP

Pinewood Island
- Genre: Visual Novel / Horror / Otome?

Vitamin Girl
- Genre: 3D Runner

Otaku's Fantasy
- Genre: Visual Novel / Dating Sim

Coming Out on Top
- Genre: Visual Novel / Gay
- Comments: Not Japanese. 1000% Gay. Beards.

Songs of Araiah: Re-Mastered Edition
- Genre: Kinetic Novel

7 days with Death
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Chinese language only.

仙剑奇侠传 单机版(Chinese Paladin:Sword and Fairy)
- Genre: RPG

猎人物语
- Genre: Action

Past Releases
October 1st - October 7th
September 24th - September 30th
September 17th - September 23rd
September 10th - September 16th
September 3rd - September 9th

They went through something like 80% of their original shipment, which was in expected range for Falcom. Media Create also only deals with physical sales and its said that the digital sales were by far the highest in the series for this entry. Plus you've got that this is a direct sequel to two previous games that hinders sales. Although I don't know how much it effects Japan as it does the west.

With the Switch out, they should use that as a secondary platform rather than Vita at this point if they go handheld at all. It loses the Vita/PS4 compatibility but that shouldn't effect that many people statistically.

I wouldn't let the DLC model of fighting games stop you from playing them if I were you. Most of them have pretty decent content even without DLC, even SFV managed to add a story/challenges later on. Some of the niche fighting games don't even have DLC, or give them all free early on, like Nitroplus Blasterz, Arcana Hearts, Dengeki Bunko, etc.

It's my favorite genre, and having played nearly every fighting game PS3 onwards, I'd say you'd be missing out a lot by skipping the genre completely. Even if not for the gameplay, Blazblue has a terrific story, Guilty Gear has amazing presentation, Persona 4 Arena has great fanservice, Mortal Kombat has good cinematics, Injustice has tons of variety, etc.

Plus, in most cases DLC doesn't really matter at all. Even DLC characters, it's not like you are going to pick up and play each of those chars. Most will likely pick a main from the main roster and stick with them, having no interest in other DLC chars. Character still play the same regardless of costume. DLC isn't a huge factor in how fun a fighting game is, and other games with expansion packs/lootboxes/map/guns to buy, probably have it worse.
Ugh, you do make a fair point. I suppose that I have missed out on an entire genre because of my distaste for DLC, so perhaps I should give a few of those games a fair try, at some point.

The frack has been going on in this thread the last few days?
Oh my gosh! Sh-..shush! We just got them put down for their naps! If you wake them up, then you get to take care of them this time.

Ugh, you do make a fair point. I suppose that I have missed out on an entire genre because of my distaste for DLC, so perhaps I should give a few of those games a fair try, at some point.
I was about to go off on you for not playing fighting games properly, but you probably aren't in your fucking 30s like I am so I preemptively made myself feel like a bitter old man.

I miss arcades.

I decided to make a Buyer's thread in the general forum, where you can post details on purchases you just made. You can show how happy you are if you got a crazy deal, or we can all cry together if we have buyer's remorse. Feel free to post pictures of your shipment too!

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/364914-vgbt-1-video-game-buyers-thread-post-your-buyers-remorse/

I know a bunch of us already do it here, so I thought it'd be cool to make an actual thread for it.

Awesome! I'd be more than happy to give some suggestions to start off with. I think the Blazblue series should be a good start for Japanese Niche Fighters. It's worth it for the story alone, got colorful and cutesy characters, and they have an easy mode where you can just mash through. Persona 4 Arena is another good pick. For Western Fighters, you can't go wrong with the Injustice series.

Does anyone know if you can unlock SF5 characters for free? I have not seen this mentioned before.
Well, you can, but it'll take some time to grind in various modes. I would list it, but that's not the point of the thread.

The frack has been going on in this thread the last few days?
A whole lot, or less of complaining, c'mon guys, isn't this the deals and discussion thread, not complaining?

I miss arcades.
Me too man, me too.

bread's done
Back