Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to go off on you for not playing fighting games properly, but you probably aren't in your fucking 30s like I am so I preemptively made myself feel like a bitter old man.

I miss arcades.
Baha! I couldn't help but smile at this, thank you for that.

Awesome! I'd be more than happy to give some suggestions to start off with. I think the Blazblue series should be a good start for Japanese Niche Fighters. It's worth it for the story alone, got colorful and cutesy characters, and they have an easy mode where you can just mash through. Persona 4 Arena is another good pick. For Western Fighters, you can't go wrong with the Injustice series.
Awh, Thank you! I very much appreciate your suggestions. Blazblue most definitely catches my eye, but it's doubtful that I would go for easy mode. I tend to enjoy the torture and frustration of playing a genre that I'm not used to, on higher difficulties. Injustice is also another one that looks rather fun, while I'm not into the DC universe as much as a few people that I know, I certainly won't turn my nose up at it, that would just be silly.

Sadly I lack the necessary technology to partake in the enjoyment that is Persona 4 Arena. (Translation: Bitch don't own a Ps3, FML!)

I bought all those items except Mabel and Langrisser and paid at least $5 more on each. Criminal really.

I miss arcades.
Me too man, me too.
I feel your pain, as I miss them to. I actually live in one of the few places that have several arcades still in use, due to tourism, but they are all pretty much the equivalent of the hatred most feel around here for DLC & other forms of pay to play type schemes.

All the games produced now, are about the greatest returns, and that falls in to the $5-$10 range(per play), to actually enjoy your game for anytime. Then when your done, you feel oh so dirty for just blowing $10 on a game you probably wouldn't even consider playing at home for $5(and actually own). LOL

25 minutes of Lost Sphear Switch footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktM9C1Y51Fo

Fire Emblem Warriors English footage, Quality vs. Performance Mode comparison (1080p 30 FPS vs. 720p 60 FPS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xICxmB1wGng

Sex and gaming: Selling Japan's Senran Kagura to the West

Marvelous Entertainment's Michael Fisher and Harry Holmwood discuss the challenges and surprises this series presents

25 minutes of Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki_781KEOeE

occultic.jpg

Occultic;Nine game covers are just bursting with appeal.

So well rounded, and really pops off the cover.

And anyone who thinks they made the wrong choice, let's just nip it in the bud, and call it what it is; a titillating success.

Here's to hoping that many will be, touched, by the quality of this cover.

occultic.jpg

And anyone who thinks they made the wrong choice, let's just nip it in the bud, and call it what it is; a titillating success.

200.gif

occultic.jpg

SRfnjSp.gif

Hopefully you felt good about getting those puns off your chest.

Yet another moment where I breathe a sigh of relief no one saw my monitors at work! Yeesh!

And I left for over a week and what happened to this thread? I don't think I've ever seen Whoknows this triggered.

But meanwhile, the few bright spots in my life...these showed up:

[attachment=28268:IMG_3492.JPG][attachment=28269:IMG_3493.JPG]

And for a not-Unreal engine, Sen no Kiseki III's Fyre Engine (that how it's spelled?) never looked better. Some textures still look off and low res along with some glaring stiff animations but for everything else, the game runs smooth and looks fantastic. Oh...right, the game sounds fantastic too. 

And yeah the gameplay is better than ever; almost forgot about that whoooooops!

[attachment=28270:IMG_3614.JPG] 

Oh how I counted the days just to get the lossless version of the original pieces by Tee Lopes! It's a shame his remixes didn't make it into the album but...dang...I kinda like any of these pieces over anything Naofumi Hataya or Masafumi Ogata wrote for Sonic CD. IMO I think both JP and US soundtracks are both hit-and-miss. One time I can remember taking both JP and US music and re-burning the old Expert Software CD but with pieces I liked from both. Was about 50/50. I wonder if I have that somewhere. Not like I need that with Taxman's port.

[attachment=28271:IMG_3686.JPG]

Everyone that knows me knows how much of a soundtrack nerd I am. 2016 and 2017 have been SURREAL years for video game music. From Civilization VI, Final Fantasy XV, Gravity Rush 2, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Layton, even Destiny 2 surprised me! I can go on forever! 

But then we have Ys VIII...That "Sunshine Coastline" still blows my mind every time I hear it. I don't think there's a single weak track in the score. I think this soundtrack is gonna be my personal favorite for both 2016 AND 17! 

And just for you Whoknows...I was at a Gamestop and I couldn't figure out what to fill in for their 4 for $20 deal but I figured, eh...it's a game so nice I might as well buy twice:

[attachment=28272:IMG_3688.JPG] 

Wonder why I can't find my first copy. Hmm.

And if that doesn't calm him down...nothing will.

:ps4: Senran Kagura Peachy Beachy Splash is down to $61.97, $55.77 Used, Like New.

Not an amazing price, but it's a really terrific and fun game. The fast-paced shooting reminds me a lot of the older run, jump, and gun games like Doom, Quake, or Unreal Tournament. I think the MP is actually better than the one in 2016 Doom 4. Too bad the servers are barren/matchmaking is broken, since the survival mode is crazy fun too. I love the weapons/skill cards upgrading system they have that keeps you playing and opens up new abilities the more you play, as opposed to something like Overwatch. Character customization is great too and highly variable. Here's one of my beautiful Ryona! 
06UHszq.png

Like I said before, there's a plethora of Single Player content. Having played through most of the story, I do think it's pretty weak compared to previous games with very little seriousness and plot development. A lot of the chapters seem to be rehashes of the same "I'm going to miss you girls" plot point, or "we gotta stick as a team." There's a pretty nice surprise though waiting for you after you finish all 4 chapters.

The boobs in this game are also certified by Psyngelic, so that's another plus. Get it! Populate the servers!

Peach Beach Splash is a lot of fun. As far as I can tell there's no party/team queue and all players are randomly assigned teams (there's also no voice chat). Which is great if you don't play online much like me (I never use voice chat and will probably only solo queue, so ensuring you don't get matched against an organized team is nice I suppose).

That said I think it's on hold for me until I see how much DLC in total they're releasing and maybe pick through it for a few costumes to play the single-player story with. The current bundle on PSN says it's 'week 1' so I wonder how many weeks they're going to.

Thought I would just ask this here. Does anyone know if I can just jump into the Shadow of War series or should I play the first?
If you really want to play Shadow of War now, you can--it does a pretty good job of summarizing the first game. However, I still think Shadow of Mordor is worth playing, and you might not want to go back to that one if you play Shadow of War first.

^This. If you're a LOTR fan and care about the story than yes, playing Shadow of Mordor would flesh out the story more and give you a better idea of what's going on. But if you're pressed for time with things you want to play then you don't necessarily need to play the first game as you should be able figure out what's going on fairly well.

I would recommend playing the first game though just because it's a great game overall and you can see what game mechanics they've improved on.

Free junk on PSN this week:

Gran Turismo Sport

PS4

- Limited Time Demo (Ends Thursday)

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online

PS4

- Neptune Special Theme

- Cat Suit Costume

- Let's All Cat Suit Costume

- White Cat Suit Costume

- Adventurer's Essential Item Set

- Gift from Dengekiko Item Set

- Gift from Famitsu Item Set

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash

PS4

- Famitsu Swimsuit

- Famitsu T-Shirt

Sales wise, there's a PSVR Celebration Sale that has the VR Future Live season pass for the VR Miku game. There's also a Devolver Digital Sale that has a few thread related games.

EDIT: Added the Cat Suit Costume. The Neptune DLC doesn't show up via searches or the new add-ons category while signed in for whatever dumb reason.

EDIT 2: Added missing Neptunia & Senran Kagura DLC.

Yeah, I'm not really a LOTR fan (not because I don't like it, but because I never was really exposed to the material) and I loved Shadow of Mordor.

Can't wait to start Shadow of War today. :)

Also, still waiting for my Neptunia LE to ship....

Peach Beach Splash is a lot of fun. As far as I can tell there's no party/team queue and all players are randomly assigned teams (there's also no voice chat). Which is great if you don't play online much like me (I never use voice chat and will probably only solo queue, so ensuring you don't get matched against an organized team is nice I suppose).

That said I think it's on hold for me until I see how much DLC in total they're releasing and maybe pick through it for a few costumes to play the single-player story with. The current bundle on PSN says it's 'week 1' so I wonder how many weeks they're going to.
This so this! I just wish i could find good people to finish Co-Op Survival :( As for DLC off chance like a year later when a possible pc version comes out maybe DLC will be half off? Didnt it happen with Estival Versus?

Overwatch's Halloween Terror Event is now live until November 1st.

You can find all of the new skins, intros and emotes here. The PvE event is Junkenstein's Revenge again, but there's a second one called Endless Night (12 Waves) where you can choose from Genji, Torbjorn, Widowmaker, Zenyatta and the original four from Junkenstein's Revenge (Ana, Hanzo, Soldier 76 & McCree).

[customspoiler='Haloween Terror 2017 Trailer Video']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkYnc7pa4TQ[/customspoiler]

You can use this item tracker for all your tracking needs, but it isn't updated quite yet for this event. It will eventually list all the other new stuff like voice lines and victory poses.

Should probably also mention the new Zarya comic, Searching, that's been available for a little while now. You can find the PDF Comic here and the Motion Comic here.

NISA still hasn't said when they're going to release Ys VIII on the PC, but we did get some info on the very sub-par localization:

An apology from Takuro Yamashita, President and CEO of NIS America, Inc.

To All Customers of Ys VIII,

Thank you for all the feedback and support we have received since the launch of Ys VIII. It has
come to my attention that the quality of the Ys VIII localization has not reached an acceptable
level by our own standards, but most importantly by yours. As president of NIS America, Inc. I
want to apologize to you personally for this grave error. This situation should not have happened
– especially to a game as wonderful as Ys VIII and by a company that strives to deliver the very
best customer experience in each title. We have begun internally to investigate the causes of this
situation as well as to implement steps to ensure that a similar situation does not occur again.

As for Ys VIII itself, we will have a new translator and editor go over the entire localization to fix
grammatical errors, typos, inconsistencies, and also to take a fresh look at the dialog and
characterizations. For the script, where necessary, we will re-translate and re-edit the game
including updating voicework to reflect these changes.
We plan to have this work done by the
end of November and will offer the updated localization free of charge for both the PlayStation
4 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game via patch. The Steam version of the game will
include this localization in its initial release.
Guess they'll finally get rid of the big hole in their translation. Too little too late for me at this point though.

^That's great news for me considering I'm taking longer than planned to finish Celceta and still need to finish Cold Steel II so I'm not playing two JRPGs at once (even if one is a full-on JRPG and the other is an Action-JRPG).

It's amazing that they're fixing it, but this is just another reminder of how much better of a job Xseed would probably have done. :/

NISA still hasn't said when they're going to release Ys VIII on the PC, but we did get some info on the very sub-par localization:

Guess they'll finally get rid of the big hole in their translation. Too little too late for me at this point though.
Nice. An excuse for me to leave the game alone until they patch it up.

Although...I'm surprised NISA got more flak as I think Aksys' overall job on Tokyo Xanadu may be worse than Ys VIII. I suppose more people played it. For...reasons...best not brought up on this thread. *coughcoughvitacoughcough*

With that said at least they're trying... Now if Xseed will just announce WTF they've been working on already. Come on guys, I just want to throw money at you so you can get money for Cold Steel III and the Crossbell arc.

Fine, I'll find a way to pick up Senran Kagura PBS...and then give it to a friend of mine this Christmas who utterly hates this stuff.

XSeed's Microbloggery Series on the upcoming Zwei game has been compiled at their blog. Mostly just them extrapolating on a couple basic things/questions and nothing particularly overly interesting.

[customspoiler='Cold Steel II PC Voice Over Progress']
DLy_Ox7V4AANmXm.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/917818785108594688

As a side note, I have to wonder what is going through Falcom's mind when they name some of these random background books. The same books can be found in both Cold Steel games and I think the two Crossbell games as well.

It's good to know that it'll turn out to be a great decent port more than likely. Hopefully it doesn't impact Cold Steel II's PC port release date. Would say great, but I doubt he's the one doing the actual work.

XSeed's Microbloggery Series on the upcoming Zwei game has been compiled at their blog. Mostly just them extrapolating on a couple basic things/questions and nothing particularly overly interesting.

[customspoiler='Cold Steel II PC Voice Over Progress']
DLy_Ox7V4AANmXm.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/917818785108594688

As a side note, I have to wonder what is going through Falcom's mind when they name some of these random background books. The same books can be found in both Cold Steel games and I think the two Crossbell games as well.

It's good to know that it'll turn out to be a great decent port more than likely. Hopefully it doesn't impact Cold Steel II's PC port release date. Would say great, but I doubt he's the one doing the actual work.
And still no exact release date...for any of the three games mentioned! Not like I should complain; I don't think I've even played a game for a whole week.

Wow. Just too funny. I must say I quite envy his job.

I got somewhere between the game before I abandoned it
where I'm finding a cure for the stone-transforming disease on planet Roak. Wonder how far that is?
. Stuff started to feel like a drag. Now only if they'll fix SO 5. I could barely stand an hour of that game before I started getting a bit dizzy from the camera.

Yeah, my Nep also shipped yesterday. It'll be here Thursday as well. Guess I shouldn't complain about the shipping speed though, since I always chose the free option.

bread's done
Back