Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even care so much about failing quests. If i see its the same person dieing all 3 times than ya I'll not join their hunt again but everyone screws up here n there it's whatever. I'm having too much fun to care about imaginary cash or point loss. I've done the game 98% of the time with randoms, I'm on 60+ hrs.

i didn't know about the Felix Moxie perk, thanks good info.
Thanks for the help with Leigiana! And yeah, I agree with this, I don't really care too much about failing quests, I don't use any rare buff items or ammo during quests, so I rarely lose anything but time. It's having fun with others, exploring and gathering items that is my #1 priority. Of course I get mad when the same person dies 3 times in a row, but I just shrug it off since it can happen to anyone, especially at higher levels. I also noticed I get matched up a lot with Japanese, Korean, and German players, so it's just cool to be enjoying this experience with people from around the world.

A funny thing that happened though, I joined a Ranthalos hunt 6 minutes in, and it look me 5 minutes just to catch up to it. Then it turns out I was chasing a Rathian all along, and by the time I realize this, the other 3 people have already killed the Ranthalos. I didn't even get to loot the body... but I did get the quest rewards. So I can understand doing stupid stuff by accident and probably annoying your teammates.

I've been at endgame for awhile and it's disappointing. Once you fight tempered elder dragons, that's it. There's no more challenge and they will be all you ever farm for warrior/hero streamstones.  :???:

I rarely use health drinks against Nerg, Vaal, and Teo since I know their move-sets perfectly. Kirin is a slight issue for me since I'm melee, but it just takes a bit more time to complete. Kushala is annoying for the wind gimmick, but it can be negated by equipping 3 of Kushala's armor. The gem for wind resistance at lvl 5 literally does nothing to Kushala's wind. So I've been doing that and crown hunting which really picked up recently. :)

As for online, I mostly solo until my squad shows up in the evening. Every now and then when I don't have my own tempered elder investigations, I'll jump into a match. Randoms are like anyone else and we all have our bad days. Recently, I ran into an HR219 JP player that double carted to Nerg's divebomb. It's a common nuisance when melee since Nerg stuns you with a roar then goes into an immediate dive. Anyway, the player then apologized for the bad playing and that he would leave so we could finish the quest plus wished us luck. Honestly, he could have stayed in the camp since we finished it about a minute later. Poor guy.

I just killed Orodragon about 13 times in order to get the orodragon gem.  What a waste of time, but I was pot committed after several kills so I had to see it through till the end.  Now I have the Fitness Charm II.  I really should have beaten the MS by now instead so these missions go towards raising my hunter rank.  I imagine that's all you do after rank 25, or whatever it is, after you beat the game.  I'm really wasting time with farming in stuff when I should beat the story first huh.

I just killed Orodragon about 13 times in order to get the orodragon gem. What a waste of time, but I was pot committed after several kills so I had to see it through till the end. Now I have the Stamina Charm II. I really should have beaten the MS by now instead so these missions go towards raising my hunter rank. I imagine that's all you do after rank 25, or whatever it is, after you beat the game. I'm really wasting time with farming in stuff when I should beat the story first huh.
I'm not entirely sure because I haven't gotten to that point yet. But I heard someone said once you complete the main story, everything previously done counts, and you get a huge jump in levels. Before then, it all gets tracked but the experience doesn't register until you complete the story. Again, I'm not sure, but I've seen people go from level 9 to like 23 in a day.

I soloed a spider today. I thought about getting help from my neighbor, but I was able to handle it myself. I equipped right shoe.

To be clear, I'm just being funny. I don't mind the MH talk. :D

Does anyone have experience pre-ordering games from Play-Asia?

I would like to pre-order a Persona 3/Persona 5 Dancing All Night box set, but wondered if they charge your credit card immediately or do they wait until the release date?

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure because I haven't gotten to that point yet. But I heard someone said once you complete the main story, everything previously done counts, and you get a huge jump in levels.
Yeah that is correct. Even if you're at a HR cap you will still bank the XP and when your cap is removed it will just automatically add it.

When I finished the main story I had enough collected that it just took me to next HR cap which unlocks a new quest and when I finished that quest and removed that cap I got another 8 or 9 levels.

I'm not entirely sure because I haven't gotten to that point yet. But I heard someone said once you complete the main story, everything previously done counts, and you get a huge jump in levels. Before then, it all gets tracked but the experience doesn't register until you complete the story. Again, I'm not sure, but I've seen people go from level 9 to like 23 in a day.
Yeah that is correct. Even if you're at a HR cap you will still bank the XP and when your cap is removed it will just automatically add it.

When I finished the main story I had enough collected that it just took me to next HR cap which unlocks a new quest and when I finished that quest and removed that cap I got another 8 or 9 levels.
oh my god, really?!? That is fantastic news! That's the best thing I've read all day! Thanks!!!

Now I can keep doing what I want, farm some armor, and play at my own pace. :D/

I would like to pre-order a Persona 3/Persona 5 Dancing All Night box set, but wondered if they charge your credit card immediately or do they wait until the release date?

Thanks
Sorry no experience, but is there any reasons why you want to preorde from Play-Asia? I see it on Amazon.jp for ¥15,680. That's about $150 with S&H.

Thanks
I've preordered several games from Play-Asia. Never had a problem, and they don't charge until they ship. Not sure if they do any holds on your card or anything like that, since I usually don't check those TBH.

Thanks
If you pay via PayPal, they charge immediately. If you pay via credit card, they charge when it ships. Never had any issues with pre-ordering from them, but if you choose slow shipping be aware it could take 2-3 weeks.

That's good to hear! I'm nearing endgame, I think, where you have to track the 3 elders and hunt them. Only have the one left, but I've been putting it off to do random quests here and there, not even to grind for items. For example I saw BRW post a quest and joined to help out before I logged off for the day only to get kicked (the hurt is real, next time I will just watch when you're about to die, if we're ever in the same quest again LOL), but aimless things like that have held me back from progressing.

So it's good to hear it's not all for naught. I see many SOS with folks in the high 20-30 rank and get discouraged from joining because I don't want to be a hindrance, but now....shit gonna change real fast!

Thanks
I've preordered several games from Play-Asia. Never had a problem, and they don't charge until they ship. Not sure if they do any holds on your card or anything like that, since I usually don't check those TBH.
If you pay via PayPal, they charge immediately. If you pay via credit card, they charge when it ships. Never had any issues with pre-ordering from them, but if you choose slow shipping be aware it could take 2-3 weeks.
PA is normally pretty good overall until you have some form of issue, and then it's a HUGE YMMV type of situation. They are for sure one of the longest running importers around, and I get stuff from them all the time. I actually just got my Unepic LE from them a few days ago, and it was perfect like always.

As stated, Paypal is charged at checkout, and depending on how long before the release date, you may not want to use them. Paypal used to have a 3 month window where you could open a ticket for any lost, damaged, etc., type situations. Now I believe that was extended to 6 months. So just make sure if your using PP, that your item is due to arrive within their "resolution" window, and if not, use a credit card. That way you'll be protected in case of mishaps.

For those who signed up over at Play-Asia for the One More Dungeon pre-orders, it's now available. Make sure your signed in, and you should be able to get a copy if you signed up before hand. PS4 & Vita are both limited to 1000 copies, so this probably won't last long.

https://www.play-asia.com/search/one+more+dungeon?ref=onemoredungeon2018&utm_source=Exclusive+Product+List&utm_campaign=bd3e7a32e2-20171005_Play-Asia.com_Exclusive+No.10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4233963d2b-bd3e7a32e2-32611793&mc_cid=bd3e7a32e2&mc_eid=d717133e21

I still got 1 of each. I'll probably sell these and the PS4 copy of Unepic and keep the Vita one. Seeing the eBay prices for that now I knew I should have bought more. They should have limited that game to 1 copy each in the first place.

I still got 1 of each. I'll probably sell these and the PS4 copy of Unepic and keep the Vita one. Seeing the eBay prices for that now I knew I should have bought more. They should have limited that game to 1 copy each in the first place.
UnEpic went for stupid amounts of money. I ended up selling all of my LEs, as I specifically collect standard edition games (normally just remove my PA games from the box for the shelf) and the standard came with a slip case, which I actually wanted. It's still bananas to me that people paid those prices for those. It seems like a lot of people missed the emails stating that they were available, so that, combined with the extremely low print, seems to be the cause of that.

I soloed a spider today. I thought about getting help from my neighbor, but I was able to handle it myself. I equipped right shoe.
Reminds me of the time when I was living on campus with 5 other people, and one day we found a huge moth (gigantic mothra-like) clinging to a wall. So the 6 of us equipped ourselves with slippers and rolled-up newspapers and just threw things at it. Then one of the guys who wasn't scared (and only in his boxers) walked up and just smashed it with a slipper. We all took home the spoils that day, but he ranked up to become slayer of moths.

That's good to hear! I'm nearing endgame, I think, where you have to track the 3 elders and hunt them. Only have the one left, but I've been putting it off to do random quests here and there, not even to grind for items. For example I saw BRW post a quest and joined to help out before I logged off for the day only to get kicked (the hurt is real, next time I will just watch when you're about to die, if we're ever in the same quest again LOL), but aimless things like that have held me back from progressing.
Lol sorry, but I actually didn't kick you. It's a glitch sometimes when I depart first, and you are in the middle of preparations, it disconnects you or something. Me and Bradley was ready, so I was gonna start first while you finished getting ready. But yeah, on my screen it showed you leaving the quest, so I thought you were angry we started with only 3 and not 4 people for the quest. You can usually rejoin it too, even when it's started, so when I saw you didn't rejoin and logged off, I thought you figured we had no chance taking it down (which we did but lost 2 lives lol.)

Yeah I hardly ever shop at Play-asia because of the cost of shipping and the non-competitive pricing.  I always feel like I'm overpaying.  When it is an instance where they have something that nobody else has, like an import system or something, then their standard price is even higher.  It feels like buying from a reseller. 

So uh....hey guys. It's been awhile again. Welp not that anyone's really interested in what I think but I've been out playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Just...wow. 

If you want to skip over my wall of text the tl;dr is: Even with all of its quirks, plot-holes, and the infamous freaking mini maps Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of the best JRPGs I've played. It's rare for a game to hold my attention long enough to finish it. Spending 129 hours on this game was a big deal...and a big ordeal. I lost a ton of sleep over this game. 

Incoming spoiler-infested wall of text. "THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?!?!?!?!?"

I'll start with the B.S. first because...I have a lot of issues with this game. 

- THE MAP: Who designs the maps? I can remember getting lost all the time in the few hours I put in Xenoblade 1 and X. Maybe it's because I didn't get far in those games but these maps felt even lazier since I couldn't tell where in Alrest I was most of the time. I just had to rely on "oh, here's where this is so this is where I'm at." The map is two dimensional but never shows you the Z-axis. Gormott was always a huge issue where I was screaming at my screen "I'M RIGHT HERE DAMMIT!" But the objective was 100 meters/feet/miles/dunnoWhatUnitsTheyUse.  

- Wait, how do I get to this titan again? : I was a bit surprised there wasn't like...an airship at every port so you can use that to travel from titan to titan within each titan. Say that five times fast. Instead, you have to use the Fast Travel menu. Feels a bit cheap. Was also disappointed how at the end of Chapter 2 Rex and Co. get a titan to fly to the world tree...and then...end up getting the titan killed. Nice driving man. Oddly enough there's a sidequest that will tie up the loose end of what's to become of the owner of that titan. 

- Rare Blades: On the bright side at least you don't have to pay for them, or do you? I'll get to that later. But good luck trying to get all 36 rare blades. If you think Destiny's Cryptarch was the worst troll for quality loot, PREPARE YOURSELF! You'll get lots of common blades even with legendary cores. UGH!

- Plot holes: Let me just cover the giant...um...elephant in the room (NO I WAS NOT STARING). Pyra, Mythra, Pneuma, uh...wat? Yeah I still don't quite get it. At all. Maybe it's like a symbol of multiple personas of the Aegis? I dunno. There's all sorts of stuff that doesn't make sense. And frankly even the ending I'm like uh...hold on there what just happened?
So it's Pneuma that "died" but the first two forms survived? Maybe it's because it's the Aegis that as long as that core crystal was intact, they'd be intact? Klaus did something? WTF is going on?

- Cheap shots: I'm surprised the Special Edition wasn't called the "All out of juice Edition". I can't even count how many times I heard Rex say that. The difficulty can range from easy-peasy to going full Cuphead. When you start out, you'll be running a LOT. It does feel satisfying in the later chapters to go back to the inaccessible areas and be going like, yeaaaah come at me suckas - I mean "This'll be a walk in the park!" There was something else I thought was blatantly stupid in the final boss:
A hearty F U to the "Prometheus" art. It takes a long time to cast but this dammed thing one-shots your party if you let it go without doing a chain attack. Problem is there's pretty much no cue for you to go, "Uh oh, better do something." Add insult to injury is a relatively pointless cutscene that interrupts the battle when the boss is down to about 75% of his health. He fires off Prometheus when around 25% remains. If I were part of the dev team I'd be like, yeah move that cutscene to just before the party nuke so the players know to do something different here. But oh well.

- Maid-bots.

- That freaking Tiger! Tiger! minigame.

- There's no official soundtrack release yet.

And now for the good stuff:

- Feature overload: I can remember telling a friend and my bro that, "The one thing I love about this game is all the stuff you can use to your advantage in battle." Proceeded to say,  "The one thing I HATE about this game is all the stuff you can use to your advantage in battle." It's a lot to learn and the learning curve is very steep. First you got the basic combat, then you can make combos by timing your art attacks with your auto-attacks, then you have the blade factor with accessories, affinity charts, aux cores, weapons and the pouches that you put items in for modifiers. Poppi has her own set of gear to play with. The tutorials aren't all that helpful and if you want to reread them? Too bad. Well unless you pay the informant a bunch of gold. Fortunately there's a lot of help on GameFAQs and on the Xenoblade Reddit. You're going to need a guide quite often to figure out stuff. When you do get things figured out though, things really come together and I found the combat very satisfying. Time to take on a sober T-Rex! 

- The Fast Travel: Although I complained about the Fast Travel menu, keep in mind, you can use this to your advantage; except for one titan by Chapter 8, you're gonna be able to go anywhere at any time thanks to Fast Travel. Climbing up the World Tree but need to rest? No problem, just warp back home to Fonsett and rest there for only 1G. Need to grind before taking on that end of chapter boss? No problem: warp wherever you want, fight whatever you want, pick any open side quest. It makes ZERO sense but, hey, it's there so use it!

- The story: It has a lot of twists and turns. I can recall gripping the controller a lot during the fight scenes wondering what was going to happen next. I even felt a bit scared to see how it all ended. The tie-ins to Xenoblade 1 seemed to be a very interesting touch. For most of the part, one of the things that didn't get too bloated was the main cast. You get five party members to choose from (or four depending on your setup after chapter 7) and despite the plot holes, I felt each of the five drivers got a fair share of backstory. A good amount of side quests are filler, but a lot of others are interesting little side-stories that often connect to the main events of Rex and Co. The heart-to-hearts also add more depth to the main characters and even your rare blades. Which leads me to...

- The rare blades are more than just blades: They even get their own heart-to-hearts and side stories. With the exception of URSULA'S NEW GROOVE, I had a lot of fun exploring the world with these weird (but often trope-ish) characters. Goes quite well within the context of Rex's belief of treating the blades as humans. Now if I can just get the remaining 9 rare blades I'm missing...UGH! 

- The world of Alrest is massive: It's far from perfect and it's often discombobulating but I don't regret the hours I spent exploring Gormott, Urayh (I spell that right?), Mor Ardain, Leftheria, and Tantal, and all these secret areas that you can find (given you have the right blades to get to them). And don't let that 720P docked resolution fool you; I'd be rather surprised if you didn't take a minute just to pan the camera around inside the stomach of Urayh, the barren winter wastelands of Tantal, and the luscious green Gormott. Everything around you feels like it's living and breathing because...well everything IS supposed to be living and breathing. I honestly think this color palate of worlds is more colorful than Zelda BOTW (which didn't Monlithsoft help create the open world?). 

- THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME!!??? DON'T FORGET ME!?!?!? It's annoying. It's repetitive. It's...honestly very stupid. And yet it's hot meme. My bro and I will play around trying to have conversations with all the silly one-liners from the game. It's quite imperfect and at first I wasn't sure what to make of the English voice cast but over time I grew to like them. Even Tora. I can remember in Xenoblade X where you can make a joke about cooking that annoying Nopon that accompanies you and I was like, YES, COOK THAT FURBALL SO HE SHUTS UP! When Tora showed up I was like, Oh God here we go. Aside from his (and his family's) weird fetish for tsundere maids I found him interesting enough and quite good for battle. I think I had Zeke go down in the final boss more than Tora. 

The music: It is God-Tier.  It beats out my favorite music from all of Falcom's Sen no Kiseki series (the Sora arc though, that's a tough one). I think most of the score was performed by a live orchestra and it even has a Eastern Europe (Celtic?) group ANÚNA that performs some of the songs you hear in some of the towns. Just click the link and hear the whole thing. I'd have too many links if I directly posted my favorites: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9Mq_Gjn50&list=PLsgo0vbK6fqIbu_E4LNESZuVvERZzYqrY

I very much hope that we get all this music on CDs (or maybe even hi-res, make my dreams reality please). 

I guess if I HAD to give it a score...I guess a 9/10. I love this game. It may be technically the worst of the three because of its feature creep, glitches, and some illogical game design. Oh and the awful mini maps. UGH! But when you overcome those issues (or overlook them, lol) it's a fantastic experience. If you have a Nintendo Switch and like RPGs you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. You don't need to play Xenoblade 1 or X although finishing 1 will help a bit on context towards the end. I spent 129 hours to get to the end of the story with a bunch of side quests complete. There's still plenty left to do, unique monsters to kill, and rare blades to find and take care of (WE ARE...URSULA'S NEW GROOVE!). I anticipate spending at least 20 more hours into the game. I may or may not do New Game + unless it helps me get to level 99. 

And here's a little story: I bought the Season Pass since I figured I was invested enough into the game around 30 hours into it. I was opening up rare blades just after redeeming the code on eShop and the game gave me a ton of rare blades (which gave me enough to have rare blades on everyone for the rest of the game). At one point I was like, okay one more blade to open. My bro was there and he said jokingly, "And out comes KOS-MOS."

"I wish," I replied to him. And then...

[attachment=29509:IMG_5845.JPG]

"IS THIS REAL?" I yelled while laughing maniacally. 

And yes, if you get her affinity chart filled out she is OP to the point of broken.

Don't feel too bad now. Since hitting hour 90 I only got like 2 rare blades. I better get farming legendary cores. 

Or should I join the crowd of Monster Hunter World? 

Lol sorry, but I actually didn't kick you. It's a glitch sometimes when I depart first, and you are in the middle of preparations, it disconnects you or something. Me and Bradley was ready, so I was gonna start first while you finished getting ready. But yeah, on my screen it showed you leaving the quest, so I thought you were angry we started with only 3 and not 4 people for the quest. You can usually rejoin it too, even when it's started, so when I saw you didn't rejoin and logged off, I thought you figured we had no chance taking it down (which we did but lost 2 lives lol.)
Oh I know I never said you kicked me, just thought it was weird. Either way didn't want to take away from your spoils since I saw if I had joined, you guys would only get like 2-3k monies.

Speaking of PA, I haven't ordered anything from them since they fudged up payments for Ghost Blade. That left a real sour taste, and most of the games they release I feel I wouldn't ever play anyway.

I'm starting to get demoralized by MHW. I'm around 140 hours and been farming tempered elders for a while. I've gotten a couple Warrior"s Steamstones for ALL weapon types except for lance (which is the only one I wanted). I even got a couple Hero's Steamstones.
Curse you RNG!

Do you know what the code is for the play Asia coupon is?
For $3 off, it's GEMATSU. For the $5 off of $60, those are unique codes, and have a one time use. Many users around here have extras, so just ask if you need one of those, and normally someone can/will help.

I'm starting to get demoralized by MHW. I'm around 140 hours and been farming tempered elders for a while. I've gotten a couple Warrior"s Steamstones for ALL weapon types except for lance (which is the only one I wanted). I even got a couple Hero's Steamstones.
Curse you RNG!
I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to farm for weapon augments, they're pretty minor gains and it's not like there is a practical reason to have them. Just look at them as a cool thing that might happen eventually or you'll just burn yourself out and hate the game. More importantly though if Capcom decides to add a G-rank through DLC or Ultimate Edition none of your current gear is going to matter really.

Pretty positive augments were just something they tacked on so there would be at least some potential character progression at the end of the game, but I don't think they designed it to be something you actively focus on.

Capcom has had a good last year with Resident Evil 7 and Monster Hunter World.  I hope the trend continues. 

There were also pretty big blunders with SF 5 Arcade Edition and MVC Infinite. 

AE's already a blunder? It just came out.

Infinite is a certified turd, though.
It's the same disc as the original release, with a voucher code for season 1 & 2 DLC characters. So yea, a pointless release for anyone trying to buy this game used, borrow it from a friend, or waiting to buy it for their collection.

I decided not to use my 20% off PSN store code and apparently you get another when clicking the email. So here are both codes.

9LQE6T3TQ6

T4GFBC967G

Reply if you get one please. They expire today.

Apparently everyone got two codes from the PSN email, so here's my extra: LGJM#FGGJB. Replace # with the number between 3 and 5.

Hope someone enjoys!

Why Is this super lazy, un-animated "Screen Shaking effect for everything" mobile looking game on current gen consoles? And then NiS slaps a $79.99 LE price tag on that, $59.99 for the standard?
Labyrinth of Refrain looks like an upscaled PS2 game.

Oh boy, RPG maker tier dungeon crawler #28402480. Can we get some more actual vita games? zzzz.
It does seem like companies are starting to take the Kemco method of churning out games every few months that all look the same. I do enjoy dungeon crawlers, but it would be nice to see a little more animation out of my team other than a shaking cut-out, and the fanservice face blush.

Just a heads up, One More Dungeon for the Vita & PS4 are back in stock at Play-Asia. I guess this is the last amount being offered, as they just sent an email stating they sold thru 65% so far across both systems. So it's doubtful these last another 24 hrs.

https://www.play-asia.com/search/one+more+dungeon?ref=onemoredungeon2018&utm_source=Exclusive+Product+List&utm_campaign=afedbe3fc8-20171005_Play-Asia.com_Exclusive+No.10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4233963d2b-afedbe3fc8-32611793&mc_cid=afedbe3fc8&mc_eid=d717133e21

bread's done
Back