Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
i probably wouldn't get kiwami 3 or 4 since i have them physical on ps3. Yakuza 5 would be a maybe since i played it digital already, so ut would be just for collective purposes.

If they do Kiwami 3 with all the content that was removed from the western release of Y3 I'd probably buy it again.

I'd probably buy it again anyway to be honest.

They should make Ishin remaster instead (I already imported it, but will buy it again)

I noticed the Ni No Kuni 2 Collector’s Edition is a part of the buy 1 get 1 50% off deal at Target. If you wanted to buy two of them you’d save $100 on the 2nd Collector’s Edition.

I thought I’d mention this for anyone that might like to open one and keep another sealed.

Why does Amazon have only a few of the Danganronpa games in stock? Best Buy seems to have more and that's almost never the case. Are Danganronpa 1-2 Reload and Ultra Despair worth it if you have the Vita versions?

Ni no Kuni II is finally releasing. One of the bigger named games we've had in a while. However I do want to mention that Ghost of a Tale came out of early access on PC last week and I do highly recommend checking it out.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Azure Saga: Pathfinder (RPG)
- Ghost of a Tale (ARPG)
- Mermaid Land (Puzzle)

Weekly Releases (March 18th - March 24th)

Detective Pikachu
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Adventure
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Assault Gunners HD Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Action

Attack on Titan 2
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Online: Yes.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - From Dusk till Casa Bonita (DLC)
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: RPG

Tekken 7: Noctis Lucis Caelum (DLC)
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Comments: DLC for Noctis as a playable character.

Velocity 2X: Critical Mass Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: SHMUP / Platformer
- Comments: Physical release. Includes all DLC.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: RPG / Action

Audio Beats
- Platform(s): PS VR
- Genre: Rhythm

Earthlock
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Was previously released on PS4. This is just an 'updated' version they're re-releasing it as. Previous owners should 'own' this one.

Titan Quest
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Hack'n'Slash / Action
- Comments: Port of an older PC game, similar to Diablo.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Platformer / Action
- Comments: Previously released on 3DS, Wii U, PS4, XB1 & PC.

ACA NeoGeo: World Heroes 2 Jet
- Genre: Fighting
- Comments: Digital only.

Eat Beat Deadspike-san
- Comments: Digital only. Mobile port. Based on Blazblue.

Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge
- Genre: Beat'em Up
- Comments: Digital only. Port from the GBA.

Legend of Himari
- Platform(s): PC

What is love?
- Genre: Visual Novel

Rhythm Girl

Sisters In Hotel: Episode 2

Crypto Girl The Visual Novel

Warawara Invaders
- Genre: SHMUP

Episicava - Vol. 1

Moe Jigsaw
- Genre: Jigsaw Puzzle

Past Releases
March 11th - March 17th
March 4th - March 10th
February 25th - March 3rd
February 18th - February 24th
February 11th - February 17th

considering studio ghibli had nothing to do with this game (bandai just milking a sequel), i'll wait on actual reviews before jumping on it.
When you look at the titles we've got more recently, it's still a fairly bigger named title when it comes to this thread.

Granted I never fully finished the first game thanks to the capturing tied in with a poor leveling system for a capture game for under-leveled allies along with the game dragging its feet too much. It was also the game that is in my top three for worst ally AI I've ever personally experienced in an RPG. Losing fights constantly that aren't even difficult because I have no control over allies skill use paired with my unit choices because I refused to use overpowered ones. Though my luck with AI tends to be when everybody else is going well, my experience is going like shit and vice versa.

Thankfully for me they got rid of the capturing mechanic (which I'm never really a big fan of to begin with) which means its down to my luck with AI and the story/pacing. So I'm hoping I end up enjoying it more than the first one, which isn't a terribly high bar to begin with for me.

considering studio ghibli had nothing to do with this game (bandai just milking a sequel), i'll wait on actual reviews before jumping on it.
Ghibli did not have anything to do with it, however character designer Yoshiyuki Momose and music composer Joe Hisaishi is back for this game. So I don't think this is just milking a sequel because they still shelled out the money for those two. Plus it's been 5 years now and we all know how fast they can pump out Tales games.

So I have hope on this game.

So I just remembered that Root Double came out on the Vita and thought I’d ask if it’s worth it at $40? Or would you guys recommend waiting for a sell?

So I just remembered that Root Double came out on the Vita and thought I’d ask if it’s worth it at $40? Or would you guys recommend waiting for a sell?
It's good for a VN. Has a lot of intrigue and a very interesting choice system. Many, many bad endings and one true end. It's not one of those games where you get people, so you just make the best of your situation. The perfect price for it is $20, but it's well worth playing. One of the better VNs I played the year it got localized.

Considering they barely had any involvement in the first game it was idiotic to put much stock into them working on the game in the first place. And hopefully the second isn't boring as sin like the first 1 was.

Oi3Llvq.jpg

Those Eyes Tho'

It's good for a VN. Has a lot of intrigue and a very interesting choice system. Many, many bad endings and one true end. It's not one of those games where you get people, so you just make the best of your situation. The perfect price for it is $20, but it's well worth playing. One of the better VNs I played the year it got localized.
I appreciate the input. I’m pretty happy to hear it has an interesting choice system. I think I’m going to wait a little while though and see if it goes on sell. What’s great is it’s not going anywhere and I don’t have to worry about it becoming rare due to it being digital only.

I have Chaos Child and the Utawarerumono games that I still haven’t played too, so I’ll probably play through those first.

Mmmmhm, I’m always down for (hopefully) quality musou.

Along with hyrule warriors coming, And I still gotta finish FE warriors.

Just go ahead and announce pirate warriors 4 this e3, m’kay? While you’re at it, gundam warriors 4. Just gimme all of it.

Anybody play Caligula Effect? If so, thoughts on that? The gameplay looks pretty cool but there's some pretty mixed reports about the game's performance on Vita. This is the first time it's had a sale and the price is decent, but with there being an expanded PS4 version announced for May (though no localization mentioned yet) I'm a bit hesitant to pick it up.

Anybody play Caligula Effect? If so, thoughts on that? The gameplay looks pretty cool but there's some pretty mixed reports about the game's performance on Vita. This is the first time it's had a sale and the price is decent, but with there being an expanded PS4 version announced for May (though no localization mentioned yet) I'm a bit hesitant to pick it up.
I'd hold off. The improvements to the PS4 version sound significant enough that they might fix most (if not all) of the problems people had with the Vita version. I suspect Atlus will announce a localization of Caligula Effect: Overdose within the next month or two.

Get the PS4 version

Interesting. Owned both games for a while but never the compilation of the two. I'll have to give them a shot in English whenever there's a dry spell between larger releases. Hopefully I remember it around that time.

Speaking of which, the Zero no Kiseki fan translation was at 60% for editing a month ago approximately. Two months prior it was at around 50% edited, so we're looking at 5% a month if it continues at that pace. Ao no Kiseki has been translated but editing won't start until after Zero has finished. I really hope both get done before Cold Steel III releases since it heavily references every Trails/Kiseki arc. So hopefully editing picks up the pace a little bit.

Honestly, I'd imagine for a while. I heard it's a step down from I Am Setsuna, and that game was already mediocre imo. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, that doesn't really stop collectors.
It's on Steam and it's not an exceptional game. I will buy it but since it's on Steam I will buy it at the eventual $7.50 sale.
Yeah, I had always planned to buy it before launch, as I figured once it sold out, prices would get silly. Since the reviews where so bad, I decided to pass it by. I also had to regulate myself and say I don't need all NS releases, rare or not.

So for some reason my copy of Attack on Titan 2 showed up on Saturday. Spent the weekend playing through it.

It's pretty good so far, although I'd actually argue it should be called Attack on Titan 1.5 lol

That's because game takes you through the events of the first all over again, this time a bit more detailed in terms of the character interactions. Especially since you play as a custom character who gets to know the main cast their way.

In terms of gameplay, they slightly modified the combat which was a bit disorienting at first, but now makes the gameplay much better in my opinion. (You don't anchor to a titan with Square anymore, now its Triangle, you can create bases in the map, combo attacks with certain characters, etc...)

Anyways, this is more of a preview impression since I'm only like 40% into the story for the game. Enjoying it so far.

I'll have to give them a shot in English whenever there's a dry spell between larger releases. Hopefully I remember it around that time.
When and if that happens will likely mean the series has been discontinued barring a new console gen oh or if they stop localizing them for some weird reason. Though I doubt that would stop most of the people on here from importing jpn or engrish asian releases. Since I could see them taking a bit to get an engine set up that would likely delay at the start of a new console. Or if sony is screwing up again like they did the ps3 and make it a nightmare to program for, over priced and get the dev kits out late.

A bit disappointed the Berserker is Darius III. I saw that the teaser image showed a bronze Berserker card so I thought maybe there'd be a correlation to the rarity of the servant. But considering Arjuna was chosen and the Archer card in the preview is not gold, this throws my theory out the window haha.

Was hoping for maybe Kintoki, Raikou or Kiyohime. Well, at least there's one more un-announced Berserker remaining....

For you Overwatch players, [customspoiler='Brigitte is now live']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFq8_IRebI[/customspoiler] on all platforms. She won't be usable in competitive for a couple weeks still. No other worthwhile news, so I probably won't mention anything until the next event is announced.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention the in-game team info screen got an update.

bread's done
Back