Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate that there are like 6 games I want all coming out in September.
RIght and like almost nothing from now until then. Guess I'll try to work on my backlog between now and then because there won't be any of that once Dragon Quest XI starts the avalanche of games.

honestly not interested without the transforming function.
I do miss the transformations but it's still a day one purchase for me.

I'm surprised they took a more conservative approach with the new Sonic racing game, but the gameplay in the franchise has been spectacular so far. I have no reason to think they'll compromise on gameplay quality, so I'll probably pick it up.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon Surpasses 100,000 Downloads

De-h5n_HUc_AA0_A9_R.jpg

Radio Hammer Station for PS4, Switch, and PS Vita launches in 2018 in Japan

FuRyu announces new Switch RPG Work x Work – Mother 3 director involved

Masahiro Sakurai Will Appear In The Nintendo Direct: E3 2018 Presentation

Tales of Vesperia 10th anniversary remaster website discovered

Interview with Pokemon President reconfirms release date for 2019 Pokemon RPG game and new Pokemon will be introduced

Clannad for PS4 coming to U.S. as digital-only title

FYI, I read this "mini-review" of the game on Gematsu's article and it kind of lowered my expectations:

To be fair the very basic stuff that made Metal Max enjoyable is there and that is the vehicles but other than that this game is seriously... well shovelware quality. -_-;;

A lot of the stuff that made Metal Max... well Metal Max got removed and we got stuck with a simple on rails RPG with mind-numbingly boring dungeon crawling parts, simplistic battles and almost none of the wacky humor and free roam from the previous games.
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/metal-max-xeno-launches-september-25-in-north-america-september-28-in-europe#disqus_thread
I hear ya, same for me given what I've heard about it. It's a budget game, so I'll probably give it a shot at $32.

Tetris Effect Announced for PS4 & PS VR, From the Creator of Rez & Lumines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8fVT_Ds4Q

More gameplay and developer interview for Team Sonic Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdB1r8Zz58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwYEGZt3lQ

pcONREI.gif

Also obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOMyWoU0Tjk

YESYESYESYESYESYESYEEEEEEEEEEEEES
Phil Spencer: We hear a lot of Xbox gamers out there asking they want to see more Xbox One exclusives, we also hear how we don't get much support from our fellow developers from the East. Well today at E3 we are proud to reveal this special trailer of a beloved RPG franchise which you will only find exclusively on Xbox One.

*most of JPN Niche Thread users begin to cry*

Man I almost forgot how Sega owns Atlus now.   It's crazy how they have quickly become one of the best JP publishers on current gen consoles.  A couple years ago, no one would have dreamed it possible that all these Yakuza titles and Valkyria Chronicles would be coming to the PS4.  I hope they keep up the good work and don't follow down the dirty merged corporate path of SquareEnix. 

I've been tired of waiting for Vesperia to be added to the Xbox One Backwards Compatibility list (don't have access to my original Xbox 360 anymore)

So the news of a remaster is pretty exciting!

I'm really hoping Team Sonic Racing is just super indulgent in its fan-service. I basically want it to be Sonic Generations the racing game. I'm imagining a track based off the Perfect Chaos final boss from Sonic Adventure 1. Racing around a flooded city with broken bits of street and buildings as the track... and Chaos like pops up and tries to wreck your shit. Maybe at some point you actually launch off a ramp and blow through Chaos...

If they properly take advantage of all the cool stuff in Sonic games, I think players will be far more forgiving that this title doesn't span all of Sega's franchises.

I wonder if it'll have that DLC that never made it to the US. I got fairly far into the game on my 360 but never finished it (like most games I play lol). That also might explain why Vesperia didn't get the BC treatment on Xbox One. I'm gonna have to retire my old 360; most I have can run on the XBO...just need Ace Combat 6 (what the heck happened to AC7 anyway?).
regular dlc and cameo stuff I can see localized but anything licensed has practically 0 chance as shown with every game in the series that they have localized with dlc since graces. Hell we couldn't even get preorder shit in xillia and zestiria that japan got.

Man I almost forgot how Sega owns Atlus now. It's crazy how they have quickly become one of the best JP publishers on current gen consoles. A couple years ago, no one would have dreamed it possible that all these Yakuza titles and Valkyria Chronicles would be coming to the PS4. I hope they keep up the good work and don't follow down the dirty merged corporate path of SquareEnix.
I assume as long as they keep making sega shit tons of money sega will continue to let them be autonomous. Besides it allows sega to throw shit they wern't interested in localizing down to atlus and makes them free money so why not?

I wonder if it'll have that DLC that never made it to the US. I got fairly far into the game on my 360 but never finished it (like most games I play lol). That also might explain why Vesperia didn't get the BC treatment on Xbox One. I'm gonna have to retire my old 360; most I have can run on the XBO...just need Ace Combat 6 (what the heck happened to AC7 anyway?).
I imagine that it would be the enhanced PS3 version that got remastered over the original if anything. Which will be great if it comes here then :)

That sounds & looks awesome!

I hope the 2 Atlus titles announced on June 7 isn't Dancing Moon Night and Dancing Star Night. It was pretty obvious they would be localized to the west.

Please be a bigger surprise!

Persona 3 & 5 dancing totally bombed in Japan.

I still think we'll see them announced tomorrow for the west but this is probably it, no more spinoffs after this.

Persona 3 & 5 dancing totally bombed in Japan.

I still think we'll see them announced tomorrow for the west but this is probably it, no more spinoffs after this.
Is this really a bomb when you consider how much they are making off each copy and how thin the content is? Not to mention digital sales. At retail alone, the triple pack is like 170 bucks and the twin pack is 160 bucks. The base games on their own are 75 bucks on PS4 and 70 bucks on Vita.

Persona 3 and 5 Dancing cost as much or more, and if you look at how much money they made from the sales, it's more like:
27000x$170 = $4,590,000
21500x$160 = $3,440,000
7800x$75 = $585,000
4500x$70 = $315,000
3000x$70 = $210,000
3000x$75 = $225,000

$9,365,000 at retail alone, before digital. And we know Persona sells well digitally. Sure, for "two games" I'm sure Atlus expected to milk fans hard and sell even more, but even this "disappointing" result is making them more money than P4D did at launch. Just to put things in perspective.

Border Break PS4 model announced for Japan

Border-_Break-_PS4-_Custom_06-06-18.jpg

God Eater 3 Gets More 1080p Screenshots Showing Claire Victorious and Burst Arts

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy Japanese character trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfERZKAz0x0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2DrzpGsbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buBs1gicwk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9-7azG638

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INuqWzsSHZo

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Crosses 1 Million Units Sold at Retail on Switch in Japan Alone

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy adds Luong

I hope the 2 Atlus titles announced on June 7 isn't Dancing Moon Night and Dancing Star Night. It was pretty obvious they would be localized to the west.

Please be a bigger surprise!
I don't think Atlus would make a major announcement at an American trade show. Let alone a pre-thing to the trade show. Other than a few seconds in a couple montages Persona 5 never had a presence at E3 or the Playstation Experience.

The two new games probably will be the Persona dance games. The week leading up to E3 is when we learned about Persona 5's release date and SKUs.

Even though we pretty much knew these announcements were coming they're ones I've been waiting for. I hope we get full details on all the SKUs. Including digital. I want to know all the ways we can get P4D as well.

Is this really a bomb when you consider how much they are making off each copy and how thin the content is? Not to mention digital sales. At retail alone, the triple pack is like 170 bucks and the twin pack is 160 bucks. The base games on their own are 75 bucks on PS4 and 70 bucks on Vita.

Persona 3 and 5 Dancing cost as much or more, and if you look at how much money they made from the sales, it's more like:
27000x$170 = $4,590,000
21500x$160 = $3,440,000
7800x$75 = $585,000
4500x$70 = $315,000
3000x$70 = $210,000
3000x$75 = $225,000

$9,365,000 at retail alone, before digital. And we know Persona sells well digitally. Sure, for "two games" I'm sure Atlus expected to milk fans hard and sell even more, but even this "disappointing" result is making them more money than P4D did at launch. Just to put things in perspective.
Lol they dont actually make what the product sells for in any place in retail or digital btw

It sold about 2/3 what P4 DAN did in the first week. Underperformed, maybe, but bombed?

Edit: Physical only, for both. Likely sold more digitally than P4 DAN, so it's probably even closer overall.

bread's done
Back