Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Futaba/Queen Figmas are right up my alley. That motorcycle would go great with my Racing Miku that I got with her motorcycle whatever year that was. Nonetheless the price of these figures usually keeps me away. Figures just are pretty expensive these days IMHO.

Has anyone had the chance to play the Japanese version of Dragon Quest XI? Wondering if it really is as good as the impressions are :) The only game in the series I've played was Dragon Quest IX on the DS.

I'm looking forward to "Super Dungeon Tactics" this week - I really enjoy the board game, and the developers are saying that the Switch release is August 3rd.

Futaba/Queen Figmas are right up my alley. That motorcycle would go great with my Racing Miku that I got with her motorcycle whatever year that was. Nonetheless the price of these figures usually keeps me away. Figures just are pretty expensive these days IMHO.
Same here.. I've started to stick with Nendoroids or Trading Figures since they are usually cheaper but it still gives me something to collect.

Eh, I wouldn't say that the interview pointed to the possibility of them being ported to the PS4 anymore than what we usually hear. Unfortunately if they port the Evolution versions, then our chance of getting them in English via XSeed are quite a bit lower. It also heightens the chances of NISA porting it, should it actually manage to get ported. Finally on the off chance it comes in as a PSP Classic title, then we sure as hell aren't getting it localized.

I'd prefer an original port or a 3D remake using Cold Steel III & IV assets without all the licensing tape. Though I doubt either will happen as the Evolution version exists and the Cold Steel Kai games are supposedly the last in-house ports for Falcom. So we'd end up getting more license hell Evolution type ports. Just need to pray that contracts setup these days are less of a pain in the ass to deal with.

PC, cool! Really feels like the age of exclusivity is behind us and cross platform is the way of the future.

Btw, since you guys are mentioning figures, normally I would just tell you to order at amiami, but right now TOM has a 30% off Tokusatsu figures with coupon TOKUSATSU. Now you may be wondering how does that relate to me and my FGO waifus? Well if you just put 1 tokusatsu item in your cart, it lets you use the coupon and the coupon takes 30% off the entire cart.

07.30.2018-19.49.jpg

P.S. I used some points on this order so the total looks a little less than what I mentioned.

PC, cool! Really feels like the age of exclusivity is behind us and cross platform is the way of the future.

Btw, since you guys are mentioning figures, normally I would just tell you to order at amiami, but right now TOM has a 30% off Tokusatsu figures with coupon TOKUSATSU. Now you may be wondering how does that relate to me and my FGO waifus? Well if you just put 1 tokusatsu item in your cart, it lets you use the coupon and the coupon takes 30% off the entire cart.
07.30.2018-19.49.jpg
P.S. I used some points on this order so the total looks a little less than what I mentioned.
Impressive savings, thanks for sharing! Brb buying all Miku figures plus a Godzilla

07.30.2018-19.49.jpg
Wish I didn't see this. Considering about to drop $500-600 for 3 figures and a couple miscellaneous items.

EDIT: I'm a figure newbie, so I don't really know who makes good ones. Also are there lots of fakes on secondary market? Really want to avoid dropping so much right now but is tempting.

Wish I didn't see this. Considering about to drop $500-600 for 3 figures and a couple miscellaneous items.

EDIT: I'm a figure newbie, so I don't really know who makes good ones. Also are there lots of fakes on secondary market? Really want to avoid dropping so much right now but is tempting.
TOM doesn't sell counterfeits, so you're good there.

Oh I know they're reputable, my concern is more for if I choose against purchasing today and try to buy off Ebay or something (obligatory stay away from China direct products).
You should be fine then since common sense is all it takes to avoid counterfeits on ebay. Even the Chinese sellers say it's the Chinese version in their listings these days.

You should be fine then since common sense is all it takes to avoid counterfeits on ebay. Even the Chinese sellers say it's the Chinese version in their listings these days.
You can also bring it up to Ebay as "Not as Decribed" and they will handle it since they have a no tolerance policy with Bootlegs

Cool cool, thanks for the tips guys.

Afraid I may pay more down the line for these figs if I don't jump in with the current discount. But will do a little more research before I commit to any purchase.

Has anyone had the chance to play the Japanese version of Dragon Quest XI? Wondering if it really is as good as the impressions are :) The only game in the series I've played was Dragon Quest IX on the DS.
Do yourself a favor and play Dragon Quest VIII while you wait for XI. I prefer the PS2 version for better camera control and comfort but the 3DS version does have some extra content.

Muv-Luv KS stuff is set to come in on Thursday.

Regardubg the packaging, I believe there's a Sony EU requirement that made them package it in that manner. Something about the Sony logo needing to be visible (or maybe the PEGI rating?) on any platform product, and the CE box design didn't have that.

Do yourself a favor and play Dragon Quest VIII while you wait for XI. I prefer the PS2 version for better camera control and comfort but the 3DS version does have some extra content.
I might try that, thank you :) I did really enjoy IX, and JRPG's are my favorite genre. I don't have a PS2 but I do have a 3DS.

No new free thread related PSN junk this week again.

Double Discounts Sale (Having PS+ doubles the base discount)

There are some non-thread related free avatars from Castaway Paradise though. Thought they were all free, but maybe all but three? EIther that or a price mistake. Regardless, they're not particularly notable but since free avatars are fairly rare/uncommon, I thought I'd mention it.

Interview: Localizing the Voice Acting of Valkyria Chronicles 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1d3VCuy0c

New Shenmue I & II Trailer Is All About Ryo Hazuki’s Epic Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-___58uBE

Yakuza 3 PS4 Remaster Looks Awesome in New Gameplay; Shows Okinawa and Golf Minigame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aupmhYsWgH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht91uresg3k

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Gets New Trailer Featuring Expansion Pass and Torna – The Golden Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kMHFFpZfX0

Musynx version 1.1.1 update to add 11 new songs, Jump feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZdmoNjCsg

Peach Ball: Senran Kagura launches December 13 in Japan

Bullet Girls Phantasia Gets New Trailer Showing Waifus, Customization, and “More” (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGhrWGzZMao

I'm going to be super neutral on FF VII Remake. I will wait till it comes out, and then judge it then. I'm just starting to play FFXV myself. Not really having a good time, but I've only played like 3 hours or so.

...That's some pretty poor gameplay for a 5,000 yen price tag. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
It does look really cheap eh? Big old cash grab. Luckily there are good FX tables and other good pinball games, plus Yoku's Island Express is supposed to be aight.

They should do a Fate fighting game Blazblue style as well as a Suikoden-like RPG where you collect the characters like the 108 stars.  They would sell well. 

...That's some pretty poor gameplay for a 5,000 yen price tag. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Yeah, especially that "sexy time" bonus game. I think there was maybe only one or two times where it didn't go "Hit the ball once and watch it center drain."

I realize those aren't the physics they're concerned about, but that would get annoying in a hurry.

I can't play pinball games where the camera follows the ball around the whole time anyways.  It's nausea inducing. 

I can't/won't play pinball games where the camera follows the ball around the whole time anyways. It's nausea inducing.
Doesn't most pinball games have multiple viewing perspectives to choose from? I agree though, who wants to follow the ball around. I want to see the whole play field to strategize where I want the ball to go.

Doesn't most pinball games have multiple viewing perspectives to choose from? I agree though, who wants to follow the ball around. I want to see the whole play field to strategize where I want the ball to go.
Yep. Pinball FX2,3 has like ten viewpoints to choose from. Although the static view sucks from a long-distance perspective, it actually allows me to play these pinball games, which I love. I wouldn't put it past this game to not have (m)any additional camera options because of the animations though.

It does look really cheap eh? Big old cash grab. Luckily there are good FX tables and other good pinball games, plus Yoku's Island Express is supposed to be aight.
Yeah, Pinball FX tables have a ton going on, whereas the Senran Kagura one doesn't if the video is anything to go by. I watched a bit before I had to turn it off because of the constant reactions, but there were a couple times where I saw the flipper in an upright position and the ball hit it and go flying out even though the flipper never moved. Lots of times where the ball would go straight down between the flippers too which shouldn't happen much. Hell, the Pinball game that came with Windows XP is better than this and it was made in 1995.

I'm probably a bit biased since I played a fair bit of pinball in arcades prior to the turn of the century. I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting it to be a bit better for the price tag.

EDIT: I remember Sonic Pinball though. I loved that game.

bread's done
Back