Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Langrisser I & II Famitsu Scans:
scan_1.jpg

scan_2.jpg
For comparison, here's scans of the memorial book that came with the Langrisser I & II port from the original PlayStation:

Link

qiM7akw.jpg

It looks better than what I was expecting... but still far from what I was hoping. Wish it would've been a modernized 80s/90s aesthetic at the very least.

Hmm wanted to know as it is jpn niche games but anyone up for buying my Hyperdimension collector edition games still in the their packaging with maybe 2 open? Just took a double major hit financially.

Yall ready for Yakuza Kiwami 2 next week?

vZisYL4.gif

It has Tigers
Tekken adding Kazuma confirmed?

tumblr_np3fnaYgnT1qk1depo1_400.gif

"Character designs that were previously handled by Satoshi Urushihara will be done by Ryo Nagi, who worked as a character designer on the Ar Tonelico series."
I... actually don't like Urushihara's art. I remembered seeing his "work" back in the late 90s/early 2000s, and never liked it.

New Langrisser art is not as good but doesn't ruin it for me. I've never played those games though. If they did this to Growlanser I would possibly feel worse about it. 

I... actually don't like Urushihara's art. I remembered seeing his "work" back in the late 90s/early 2000s, and never liked it.
Yeah, he has a very distinct style even for that era and it's understandable. For me, it's less about liking his art than it is keeping the relative era style art that was so prominent. A lot of art these days uses overly generic characteristics that get old and it would've been nice if they kept a similar style but with slightly more modernized art without removing what made the original style what it is. It's like taking, Slayers for example and completely removing the original aesthetic to change it to some current fantasy style that's a bit generic. New people would probably appreciate it along side those who didn't care much for the aesthetic, but people who saw it during its prime will often feel like it's an imposter. Regardless, at least it's not Final Fantasy VI remake quality where the mobile remake was shit and they ported that everywhere.

When I posted that though, I recalled back to the Ar Tonelico art which I wasn't particularly fond of. It wasn't terrible, but I didn't think it was great either. And actually Langrisser art was pretty bad compared to his later stuff. Growlanser was significantly better if you compare games he's done for example.

(I want my ridiculous shoulderpads/pauldrons and fatter thighs)

Really hope this gets localized. I just finished the two Utawarerumono games on Vita and they were great.
A musou-like? ARPG fits too well with the Utawarerumono series. If it has little text then we'll probably see it unless they go crazy with dialogue and lore, which is entirely possible since its Aquaplus. I hope the two recent games did well enough to bring it over since I like the world they created with this series. Although I really hope the original Utawarerumono remake makes it over. I haven't heard much on how well Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth did in the west.

The games were damn good though and glad to see someone else here actually play it and enjoy it. More so since most games I tend to highly recommend never really get mentioned in this thread by anybody else which makes it hard to continue recommending games that aren't widely known here.

D.Va is finally getting a figma.
39891349_1836360279780616_3608208785648123904_o.jpg

Definitely going to get her at some point. Now I need a Mercy Figma
Mmmm... I've passed on all of the figmas so far for these cus I honestly didn't think they looked great ... Was really thinking hard about Reaper but think I'll definitely get bae D-Va

Summer is where I spent most of my quartz so now I'm saving for Merlin.

However if there's a servant you really want then why not spend money on a game that gives you hours on entertainment.

Anyone playing the Fate Grand Order event? I've never spent money on this game, but I'm wavering.
I remember when I started out playing the JP version, I said spending money in the game was stupid and I'd never do it.

Fast forward 3 years later and here I am always budgeting some (or all) of my spare funds towards the gacha in this game (Both JP and NA even)

I have clearly fallen to the dark side....

I played FGO for a while when it first came out. My initial 5* was Jeanne d'Arc, and it was pretty fun. I had to drop it though, because at the time I was playing way too many phone games at once (I think it was around 6 or 7). It'd be fine playing that many for the most part, but holiday months were too draining because you'd have 7 time consuming promos all at once.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but it looks like Cammy's next "Crossover Costume" is going to be Fiona from Haunting Ground. I have no interest in Street Fighter, but it's awesome to see that Capcom remembers they made a masterpiece horror game 13 years ago. Maybe next we'll finally get an HD remaster or remake. (There were rumors years ago that Haunting Ground was coming to PSN as part of their PS2 line-up, but it never happened.)

The RE 2 remake looks cool, but I'd much rather see some HD remakes of Dino Crisis and Haunting Ground.

I played FGO for a while when it first came out. My initial 5* was Jeanne d'Arc, and it was pretty fun. I had to drop it though, because at the time I was playing way too many phone games at once (I think it was around 6 or 7). It'd be fine playing that many for the most part, but holiday months were too draining because you'd have 7 time consuming promos all at once.
I'm starting to feel that way too. Currently playing way too many mobile games atm. (Both F/GOs, FEH, Azur Lane (occasionally checking the EN version), Girls Frontline, ...) I think I may need to drop some soon, especially since they start to dig into the time I dedicate towards actual video games...

Also, on a side note:

Just noticed that the new Xenoblade Chronicles 2 update (possibly Season pass content) adds swimsuits.

DlX86AgWsAIBlNn.jpg

Pyra.... :D

Huh, that's pretty cool that Capcom brought up haunting grounds.

Maybe they are testing the waters for another horror ip to get the remake treatment a la re2.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but it looks like Cammy's next "Crossover Costume" is going to be Fiona from Haunting Ground. I have no interest in Street Fighter, but it's awesome to see that Capcom remembers they made a masterpiece horror game 13 years ago. Maybe next we'll finally get an HD remaster or remake. (There were rumors years ago that Haunting Ground was coming to PSN as part of their PS2 line-up, but it never happened.)
I always wanted to go back and finish Haunting Ground. I started it last year after putting it off forever, but a lot of the hiding mechanics really pissed me off. I hated how the game tells you in big bold letters COAST CLEAR when you're supposed to be safe, but then after coming out of hiding Sloth 2.0 is still in the room waiting for you. I'm not a novice to these games since I've played both PS1 Clock Tower games, but a lot of the mechanics seemed to be purposely obtuse. Loved the setting, characters, and classic style of the overall design of the game so I'll eventually go back to it.

Cammy looks incredible in SFV. Now that's a game I can't ever go back to. What a dog

EastAsiaSoft Calls For Vita Game Pitches And Discusses Possible Releases

In addition, EastAsiaSoft commented on the odds of it working on Omega Labyrinth Z, the PlayStation Vita game whose western release was canceled by PQube in June 2018. The official response regarding the game was, “We never looked into it and most likely would not publish it if offered.” The tweet also noted that the game was, “Too sensitive.”
That's enough to tell me not to care about these guys.

Considering OLZ was already published in Asia, it's going to be very hard to make another release with Asia English.

Weekly VN news

Mangagamer is releasing their Kickstarted game Koropokkur in Love ~A Little Fairy’s Tale~ on September 27, 2018 with a discount for pre-ordering. The art is done by the same people who did Kanon and Air I believe. The story has something about fairies and them being interested in humans. One of them comes and ruins a cafe. She ends up helping to get it back in order along with 2 of her fairy friends. It looks adorable honestly, and is an easy pickup. It's all ages, so i'm getting it on Steam.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Sekai Project released E.N.Nach's CyberRebeat -The Fifth Domain of Warfare-. It is about hackers and the circumstances behind a mystery arson of a company. It looks OK, but I've read the story is a bit weak. I'm waiting for a deep discount, but it's on my radar.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Poopy Sakuragame released Fortissimo FA INTL Ver by La'cryma. This one is about a guy who awakens a special ability and gets the Da Capo ability which lets him revert something back 24 hours, or summon someone he saw in the past 24 hours. Stuff happens and battle ensues. I generally don't post Sakuragame, with their awful translations, but this is a highly regarded visual novel. I will get it, but I wont be happy.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Last but not least Frontwing released Island. It is likely highly recommend to play this game then watch the current anime running of it.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

I've been playing Dark Souls Remastered for a little over the last week.  Only have a few more levels to complete.  Just biding my time until DQ11 comes out.  It's definitely in the top 3 best games of all time. 

Also I'm definitely buying Hollow Knight for $9.99 on the E-shop tonight.   You know that a physical release for this game is inevitable, but I've been dying to play that game as well.  Can't beat that price on one of the best games of the year.  (Even if it did come out during '17 on PC).

A few games this week that people here should be interested in. I highly recommend Divinity Original Sin II, which can be played without going through the first one. Donut Country is also a weird Katamari Damacy-like game that could interest people as well. Otherwise it'll mostly be Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate I assume.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Fall of Light (PS4 | Action RPG)

Weekly Releases (August 26th - September 1st)

Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Simulation / Cooking / Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Previously released on Switch & PC.

Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe (DLC)
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Simulation / Cooking / Action
- Comments: Free update. Contains new modes, maps and challenges.

Blade Strangers
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.

Donut County
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Physics Puzzle / Weird
- Comments: Doesn't really belong here, but emits some Katamari Damacy vibes.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2: Extra Pack 3 (DLC)
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Comments: New Characters.

Fernz Gate
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Another KEMCO mobile port. Previously released on Switch & XB1.

Pato Box
- Genre: Sports / Boxing
- Comments: Not really thread relevant, but has strong similarities to Punch Out. Previously released on Switch & PC.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2019
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Sports / Soccer

Shikhondo: Soul Eater
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Yakuza Kiwami 2
- Genre: Action-Adventure / Brawler

Haunted Dungeons : Hyakki Castle
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch
- Genre: RPG / First-Person Dungeon Crawler
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Collapse of Balance (DLC)
- Genre: Action RPG / Third-Person Shooter
- Comments: New characters, dungeon, bosses, scenarios, items, etc.

Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Highly recommended game. Previously released on PC.

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker
- Genre: Arena Fighter / Action

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Monster Hunter / Action
- Demo: Yes.

Azure Reflections
- Genre: Horizontal SHMUP
- Comments: Previously released on PS4.

Fall of Light: Darkest Edition
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Freedom Planet
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on a number of platforms. A solid Sonic clone.

Dust: An Elysian Tail
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, 360 & PC. Solid metroidvania.

Henri's Secret
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel

Lucy Got Problems
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yuri
- Demo: Yes.

Past Releases
August 19th - August 25th
August 12th - August 18th
August 5th - August 11th
July 29th - August 4th
July 22nd - July 28th

Poopy Sakuragame released Fortissimo FA INTL Ver by La'cryma. This one is about a guy who awakens a special ability and gets the Da Capo ability which lets him revert something back 24 hours or summon someone he saw in the past 24 hours. Stuff happens and battle ensues. I generally don't post Sakuragame, with their awful translations, but this is a highly regarded visual novel. I will get it, but I wont be happy.
I really hope you consider setting a 1 hour and 45 minute timer so you can quit the game and return it to not give them any money and leave a bad review. Since I look at recent releases every week as well, I checked out its reviews. I can't believe people are saying "It's fine because it's readable" with a positive review. This kind of shit shouldn't be acceptable. The shitty publisher always justifies it as "We make it cheap, so it's ok." when they also block it from other publishers to bring it over. It's a 30-50 hour visual novel according to VNDB, but it's being sold for $2. Ridiculous. It's like buying a cheap appliance that works if you have to use a five minute work-a-round every time you use it. It's not an acceptable product.

That said, you should check out Lily's Night Off as it might be decent for an indie visual novel. Seems to be getting pretty good reviews, but it likely wont get a lot of reviews in general since it's a low key title.

What the hell, Square? What kind of dumb licensing deal did they pull. I mean it's not Activision level of bullshit, but still. If it was being sold on the Xbox Marketplace yesterday when this was posted, it's not anymore.

bread's done
Back