Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m super interested in Zanki Zero in every way except the actual gameplay. I don’t think I’ll like that all, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zanki Zero has an easy mode where you can put in zero effort in the DRPG stuff and focus on the story

Zanki Zero has an easy mode where you can put in zero effort in the DRPG stuff and focus on the story
Liking this game so much I have about 10 hours in and would like to know are there any other games like this you guys would recommend? Very well done so ar and the story is great also!

What sucks about this is that after watching a few trailers I was interested in picking it up, then I read about the censorship in detail & it's just kills any reason to pick this up... discounted or not.

Liking this game so much I have about 10 hours in and would like to know are there any other games like this you guys would recommend? Very well done so ar and the story is great also!
If you like the DRPG elements, Dungeon Travelers 2, Mary Skelter, Labyrinth of Refrain, and Stranger of Sword City Revisited are all good.

If you like the story, it's by the same people that made Danganronpa. So the Danganronpa and Zero Escape series would probably scratch the same itches.

If you like the DRPG elements, Dungeon Travelers 2, Mary Skelter, Labyrinth of Refrain, and Stranger of Sword City Revisited are all good.

If you like the story, it's by the same people that made Danganronpa. So the Danganronpa and Zero Escape series would probably scratch the same itches.
Demon Gaze is also a very good dRPG.

Just noticed Psikyo Collection Vol. 3 is up for pre-order on Play-Asia. Used coupon code GEMATSU for $3 off. The code MYPSVITA should still work too for $3 off your order. Went with the standard edition but I must admit the Limited Edition is rather tempting in more ways than one. ; )

Sounds good and also sounds expensive. I'll likely do what I should have done and wait a year after released and buy it then hopefully with better games out. Messed up getting the PS4 a bit too early.

There are virtually zero 8K TVs in homes today, and it takes dual $1,000 GPUs to pull off 8K at 60 FPS in modern games. Why not save it for the inevitable "pro" rev in 4-5 years? Maybe it's capable of outputting an 8K signal, but we won't actually be playing games at 8K.

There are virtually zero 8K TVs in homes today, and it takes dual $1,000 GPUs to pull off 8K at 60 FPS in modern games. Why not save it for the inevitable "pro" rev in 4-5 years? Maybe it's capable of outputting an 8K signal, but we won't actually be playing games at 8K.
Don't worry. There is no reality where we're playing 8K games on this thing. Proper 4k 60 still takes an incredibly expensive gaming PC.

You can't handle 4k60 with anything nowadays unless your processor is top of the line, too.

I have an i7 6700k OC @ 4.4 ghz, 64 GB DDR4 @ 2400, an m.2 SSD, and an RTX 2080 TI. I can't run FFXIV ..or a lot of games stable at 60 FPS without tons of setting tweaks

It'll likely be 8k checkerboard nonsense.

Could the physical media be the SSD? Selling games on that instead of discs? I would rather have full backwards compatibility (ps1-ps4) than 8k and VR because the old consoles are dying.

Could the physical media be the SSD? Selling games on that instead of discs? I would rather have full backwards compatibility (ps1-ps4) than 8k and VR because the old consoles are dying.
Nope, definitely not happening. Not unless you want to pay $100+ for each game. Plus resource wise when it comes to manufacturing them likely wouldn't be very sustainable. We already have issues with memory due to all these 'disposable' devices built with planned obsolescence in mind coupled with our shit ability to recycle.

Also backwards compatibility with older systems (1-3) that use a different architecture either requires them to build a proper emulator or to include even more hardware into the system, which won't happen. Good luck getting them to make a proper emulator because they're so incredibly fearful of pirates. They'll continue to only do it on a game by game basis like they have been until now more than likely until someone internally kicks them in the ass.

[media]https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1118173783695642625[/media]

Some of the quotes:

Capture.jpg

So its OK to show graphic violence, decapitations, murder, mayhem, and the such but bra and panties are a big no?  Good to see Sony has their priorities in order.

I actually did order the Asian English version and can at least confirm the physical cover is uncensored, as us the total screen (no dress covering the swim suit). I haven't gotten far enough to confirm further details yet, but I'll post here as soon as I do.
I actually am interested in the this, possibly.
Was it confirmed / deconfirmed that the asia english ver. is butchered too, or no?

So its OK to show graphic violence, decapitations, murder, mayhem, and the such but bra and panties are a big no? Good to see Sony has their priorities in order.
bra and panties are fine but only on characters that don't look like eight year olds. Any case where panties are visible on an underage characters they must be enlarged to the point of looking like diapers.

Don't worry. There is no reality where we're playing 8K games on this thing. Proper 4k 60 still takes an incredibly expensive gaming PC.
Yep. The main thing these next-gen consoles are going to need to do is 4k 60.

I've noticed the main discussion point among PC builders, gamers, and enthusiasts the last couple of years is that they want those 120+ FPS frame rates at 1080p or 1440 resolution. Some people build even more expensive rigs for 4k 60fps gaming.

So glad to see this article today! I've been thinking about PS5 a lot lately, especially this particular aspect of its specs. It's a necessity. It's been on my mind a lot since I built my new gaming rig in Nov. It wasn't until just recently that I started moving away from PS4 because of the low 30fps frame rates on modern games. I never thought the PC experience was that superior for single-player games until I had G-sync running properly on a 1440p monitor.

Backwards compatibility with PS4 is going to be a godsend. PS4 has built up a massive library with lots of games none of us have played yet. It's also going to be important that some of these older big-budget PS4 games get patched in order to unlock the 30 FPS and bump it up. Imagining things like Bloodborne on a more graphically capable system with no slowdowns and higher framerates gets me all giddy.

You can also be damn sure that things like Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2077, and Ghosts of Tsushima are going to be released on the PS5 in 2020, launching subsequently with/after their PS4 versions.  There is no doubt in my mind that they have been saving things like Bloodborne 2 for the PS5 launch and will have some powerhouse games ready to go near its release.  Sony has been squirreling away assets for the future.  It's why they pulled out of E3 and 2019 is going to be a very light year.  Throughout most of 2018, this stuff has been imminent for 2020 all along.

The only thing that worries me is a custom SSD. If so, it might not be possible to swap out SSDs with a generic one.

It'd be like Vita memory cards or 360 HDDs all over again.

Yep. The main thing these next-gen consoles are going to need to do is 4k 60.

I've noticed the main discussion point among PC builders, gamers, and enthusiasts the last couple of years is that they want those 120+ FPS frame rates at 1080p or 1440 resolution. Some people build even more expensive rigs for 4k 60fps gaming.

So glad to see this article today! I've been thinking about PS5 a lot lately, especially this particular aspect of its specs. It's a necessity. It's been on my mind a lot since I built my new gaming rig in Nov. It wasn't until just recently that I started moving away from PS4 because of the low 30fps frame rates on modern games. I never thought the PC experience was that superior for single-player games until I had G-sync running properly on a 1440p monitor.

Backwards compatibility with PS4 is going to be a godsend. PS4 has built up a massive library with lots of games none of us have played yet. It's also going to be important that some of these older big-budget PS4 games get patched in order to unlock the 30 FPS and bump it up. Imagining things like Bloodborne on a more graphically capable system with no slowdowns and higher framerates gets me all giddy.
The PS4 is actually what pushed me to PC gaming, too!

The following recollection will be spoiler tagged for the sake of not cluttering the thread:

I remember near the end of the 7th gen I was getting very, very tired of sub FHD, 30 FPS games. My buddy started nudging me towards trying PC gaming again—dabbled with it here and there over the years, but I was always primarily a console person. Well, I got a pre-built low-mid range rig and decided to try the Tomb Raider reboot and Metro Last Light. I was hooked up to my entertainment center, so I couldn’t go beyond 1080P 60 FPS, but those were two magical experiences. That was my first true taste of next gen, and it blew my mind. At that point I assumed that the PS4 would obviously be doing similar things, so I would be content with that when it came out—rather than fully jumping into the PC landscape.

Well, the PS4 came out, and I distinctly remember Killzone, Thief, and Assassin’s Creed IV. All 3 of them looked quite nice at the time, but the 30 FPS frame rate was killing me after I just got to go through Metro and Tomb Raider looking every bit as good and being unbelievably smooth. Those 3 games pushed me over the edge to build a proper rig, and I’ve never looked back. I jumped on the high refresh rate G-Sync train with the first 1440p G-Sync monitor from Asus just a few months later, and consoles have only existed for exclusives since then.

[SIZE=11pt]The specs of the PS5 are exciting to be sure. I know that it’s never going to even remotely compare to my PC experience in any way. I’m not expecting it to. But Sony puts out some very, very good 1st party games, and tons of Japanese games either never come to PC or have shit ports. So a more capable console is still extremely exciting to me, and I hope that it turns out great.[/SIZE]

I feel like devs will just make nicer looking games and have crappy sub-30fps again on the PS5. I guess the saving grace is that if devs now target 4K 30fps, maybe we'll get more 1080p 60fps

I feel like devs will just make nicer looking games and have crappy sub-30fps again on the PS5. I guess the saving grace is that if devs now target 4K 30fps, maybe we'll get more 1080p 60fps
Tossing 8k in does seem to be asking for that. Capping the visuals at 4k would have been more interesting for me--give the system more room to focus on performance instead.

I really wish Sony would start putting in and enforcing performance requirements instead of sexual explicitly rules nobody really cares about.

Everything I am reading people are flipping their shit over buzzwords like:  zomg 8K, 18x loading times, and raytracing!  Cerny said almost nothing definitive in regards to hardware in that article. 

The key takeaways are: It's going to have an 8core Ryzen 2-based cpu, some sort of flash memory (could be anything), backwards compatible with PS4, and it will be HDMI 2.1 compatible.   That's it. 

Imagine how incredibly tired we're all going to be of seeing the 8K thing thrown around--when the accurate description is HDMI 2.1 equipped. I mean, bravo to their marketing, as it's clearly working, but I don't think we really needed to give people another reason to prove their stupidity. Lol

The only thing that worries me is a custom SSD. If so, it might not be possible to swap out SSDs with a generic one.

It'd be like Vita memory cards or 360 HDDs all over again.
Eww I hope not. Though worst case scenario we can use usb sticks and micro sds on them.

If people buy a console in 2020 that MIGHT get a game running at 60fps smoothly at 1080p then you should probably look into getting a PC. Sony's exclusive moviegames only run at 15fps anyway, and the rest get ported eventually.

What, you didn't like paying $80 or whatever crazy price it was for 30 gig of storage on the Vita?

I really don't like the idea of proprietary memory when it comes to Sony.
Largest I bought was a 16gb since I didn't plan on getting an almost entirely digital library of vita games at the time. Curse you sony and your brilliant price strategy!

Looks like Sony finally confirmed what they are doing in terms of reducing sexuality on their platform.

In other news... #GodofWar5 #Ragnarök "RagnarökisComing

bread's done
Back