Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I didn't realize Taiko no Tatsujin got released in english. I was about to get real stoked to buy it on this sale, but now I see it was $5 cheaper just last week. Feels real bad.

Can someone tell me how much the dlc songs cost?
They're $1.49 each.

Looks like Akiba's Beat PS4 is $10 at Best Buy this week.

Sold out when I checked.

oh no! I was waiting for that to drop :( how'd it sell out so fast. Can't even search for local pickup.
I checked about 1:20 AM EDT this morning and it was already sold out for shipping and within of 250 miles of me. Considering how old the title is they probably didn't have many in stock.

Dragon Quest Builders for Switch is on clearance for $42.99 ($34.39 GCU) at BB. It may seem like a lot, but used copies are listed at over $50 on Amazon and Gamestop used copies are still $50.

Thanks. Do you know if all the dlc in the japanese release are available on the english version? I can't find any recent youtube uploads with the later packs.
I'm not sure how many DLC songs are available in Japan, but the US version currently has 121 DLC songs.

Thanks! Had no clue this game existed until now. Looks really cool too.
Yea, I never heard of this until bappt mentioned it too. Seems like an action rpg visual novel hybrid about a girl who cries a lot (literally, it's part of the story and perhaps how to get some items).

All copies have the swimsuit dlc from what I understand (ie: only the art book is a first print exclusive, and it's a flimsy instruction manual type one).

I could also only find it on Amazon for pre-order at the end of August. Honestly though, with Catherine coming out literally a few days later, I'm probably going to hold off until a price break on this one.

Yea, I never heard of this until bappt mentioned it too. Seems like an action rpg visual novel hybrid about a girl who cries a lot (literally, it's part of the story and perhaps how to get some items).

All copies have the swimsuit dlc from what I understand (ie: only the art book is a first print exclusive, and it's a flimsy instruction manual type one).

I could also only find it on Amazon for pre-order at the end of August. Honestly though, with Catherine coming out literally a few days later, I'm probably going to hold off until a price break on this one.
Possibly Amazon exclusive, Spikechunsoft didn't list any other retailer other than Amazon for US

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Girls in swimsuits crying... is there a new fetish I'm unaware about
Was my first thought as well lol. It's not my fetish but I'd honestly give the game a try when it gets cheap. Gameplay trailers looked about what I expected and I'll give almost any action game a try.

VA-11 HALL-A is out on Switch & PS4, hope you all did the right thing! New Trailer

Also Miku Racing 2019 Figma was revealed.

D5mgw-Ui-Xo-AMw5p.jpg

Cute, but the Miku racing Figmas just never do it for me. The Winter Miku Figmas though....I think I have the last 4-5 years haha.

Re: Crystar, worth noting that the trailer was censored. Nothing mentioned about the game yet, but just thought I'd give a heads up for those who might care, but not be aware of it.

VA-11 HALL-A is out on Switch & PS4, hope you all did the right thing! New Trailer

Also Miku Racing 2019 Figma was revealed.

D5mgw-Ui-Xo-AMw5p.jpg
Thanks for posting this, I was just thinking the new one should be revealed soon and poof here we are. I have the last couple years along with the EV and cycling ones but dread the cost of getting the 2014 and 2015 versions. 2016 course version is still my favorite of the lot because she is just so damn vibrant.

Anybody know what happened to Arc of Alchemist? Was sweeping my wishlist after looking into Crystar, and I noticed that Arc can't be preordered anywhere.

It was suppose to be released back in Feb, but was delayed to summer last I heard.

Anybody know what happened to Arc of Alchemist? Was sweeping my wishlist after looking into Crystar, and I noticed that Arc can't be preordered anywhere.

It was suppose to be released back in Feb, but was delayed to summer last I heard.
Weird. It's like the game doesn't even exist. Best Buy still has it up but Gamestop is gone too.

CamelCamelCamel hadn't updated for two days and showed it at about $46 but doing a search refreshed the page so it's blank.

February seems to be the Japanese launch but it seems to have been so poorly received that they gave the game to Ileheart, their joke Vtuber that somehow became its own thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jNcIzQDSQ

Maybe it's just not doing the numbers they want in Japan and Asia.

Thanks guys, I wonder if this will be like Remilore PS4 and get quietly cancelled. If it got bad reviews in Japan though, maybe it's for the best.

Play-Asia has the "price cut" version of Bullet Girls Phantasia on sale... this is the Japanese Niche Games thread, so I'm here asking for some opinions! I love Japanese Jank / Kusoge, especially from Tamsoft or similar devs. This looks about par for the course and at 40$ CAD not too bad of a price point.

Play-Asia has the "price cut" version of Bullet Girls Phantasia on sale... this is the Japanese Niche Games thread, so I'm here asking for some opinions! I love Japanese Jank / Kusoge, especially from Tamsoft or similar devs. This looks about par for the course and at 40$ CAD not too bad of a price point.
The characters are really enjoyable. I would watch an anime about it. The gameplay is meh. Not a very good 3rd person shooter. Mindless musou enemies. It's fun enough for that price. I got the limited edition on release and don't regret it.

Here's a few exceptional games on steam I think are worth checking out while they're on sale.

Touhou Luna Nights

Touhou metroidvania with amazing sprites and fun time control mechanics. Boss battles feel great.

Tempest of the Heavens and Earth

Another touhou metroidvania, this one a little older but every attack has so much impact, very satisfying.

Tiny Metal

I don't know how this one flew under my radar. An advance wars clone and very well optimized(even supports ultrawide and 144hz). Not the cheapest it's been though.

Sister Travel(NSFW)

HRPG but this one has a great atmosphere kinda like Etrian Odyssey in a sense. Combat is classic jrpg turn based with a party of 3. Exploration is a bit unusual in that it's more like a point and click adventure where you choose where to go by choosing a place on the map.

Here's a few exceptional games on steam I think are worth checking out while they're on sale.

Touhou Luna Nights

Touhou metroidvania with amazing sprites and fun time control mechanics. Boss battles feel great.

Tempest of the Heavens and Earth

Another touhou metroidvania, this one a little older but every attack has so much impact, very satisfying.
Thanks for the heads up on these, they do look promising.

Very niche but Indiegala has a DRM-Free (boo no Steam keys) 18+ NSFW Wild Anime bundle.

IG (NSFW)

These are RPGMaker type games I think with some adult situations and such. I have no idea how these all play. $9.49 24 hour price and this wont get a HH. I may get it, though It would be a no brainer if they were all Steam keys.

Very niche but Indiegala has a DRM-Free (boo no Steam keys) 18+ NSFW Wild Anime bundle.

IG (NSFW)

These are RPGMaker type games I think with some adult situations and such. I have no idea how these all play. $9.49 24 hour price and this wont get a HH. I may get it, though It would be a no brainer if they were all Steam keys.
That's a pretty good price. These are all Kagura games translated HRPGs made from rpg maker. The prices barely drop below $10 each.

They have good translations. As I mentioned on the previous page, I think Sister Travel is well worth the price. Heard good things about treasure hunter claire.

Has anyone played the visual novel World End Syndrome? Recently released for PS4/Switch. I've been eyeing it and have only found a few reviews online that have been generally positive. Was hoping to see if anyone here has given it a go. 

bread's done
Back