Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any update from NISA as to when the new-account-setup emails will go out? We're approaching 2 weeks since the complete-your-purchase emails were "mistakenly sent first". I used $8.50 in rewards points on my Reverie LE preorder, so I'm not doing anything until my account is in place.

Is there any update from NISA as to when the new-account-setup emails will go out? We're approaching 2 weeks since the complete-your-purchase emails were "mistakenly sent first". I used $8.50 in rewards points on my Reverie LE preorder, so I'm not doing anything until my account is in place.
After the "please redo your preorder" emails expire is what they said previously. That date is July 21, but it's unclear how quickly they will go out after that.

Ah crap, missed out on Persona Dancing All Night Collection @ VGP.  Knew I should've jumped on that as soon as I got the email last night.

After the "please redo your preorder" emails expire is what they said previously. That date is July 21, but it's unclear how quickly they will go out after that.
Wait so...

They want us to re-do our pre-orders... and they they'll let us migrate our accounts?

That makes no fucking sense.

Really not cool considering that's also the supposed cutoff date for how long they're holding the preorders. It sounds like I basically have to pay the extra $8.50 to keep my preorder and just hope my reward points survive, which I'll probably do since I've been buying the LEs for the Trails steelbooks and haven't missed one yet.

Update: Got an email about activating my account just now. Can't figure out where points are, and not all pre-orders seem to be in the system. Things continue to be going swimmingly.

I still haven't received an account activation email.  But there's a NISA tweet saying those emails are an ongoing process that will span through Monday.
Edit: Finally received the account email.  Confirmed my Reverie order while logged in my account.  I'm okay with using the ~$25 rewards points toward Nayuta instead, but they better transition those properly soon.

Unrelated deal:
I've been sitting on the fence about Disgaea 6 Complete from Woot for a while.  I refreshed the tab today and now it's dropped $5 down to $14.99

Update: Got an email about activating my account just now. Can't figure out where points are, and not all pre-orders seem to be in the system. Things continue to be going swimmingly.
From the activation email: "Future Preorders may not appear in your account until you have confirmed them via email. Currently we have only sent out confirmations for Trails into Reverie. We will be sending out more Preorder confirmations throughout the month of July!"

Talk about weird timing with the account activation email arriving within 3 hours of my confirming the Reverie LE preorder; thankfully that's in my account.

Got the email as well and after confirmed my Reverie order. After I confirmed the order I noticed a rewards button on the lower left and saw my points there, so hopefully I can use them on Nayuta when they send out those emails.

Only had 1 (of several I'm sure) old order show up though *shrug*

picked up mato anomalies switch since it was under 20 on woot.  No idea when I'll get to it.  Wish they had localized the ps4 version or there was somewhere cheap to import it. 

Got the email as well and after confirmed my Reverie order. After I confirmed the order I noticed a rewards button on the lower left and saw my points there, so hopefully I can use them on Nayuta when they send out those emails.

Only had 1 (of several I'm sure) old order show up though *shrug*
I activated my account this afternoon. It did not carry over any reward points from the prior website (had 1020 points I believe). Has NISA given any indication what we should do about missing points? I assume just contact their customer service address? Though I imagine if my points didn't carry over then everyone else's likely didn't either, which would translate into a customer service nightmare for NISA. I did have 500 reward points in my account but this was because I also confirmed my preorder of Trails into Reverie this afternoon too (which is good for 500 reward points).

I would just pay $5 more and get Rune Factory 5 from steam if PC gaming is an option to you. Not worth dealing with the switch performance issues.

Can you pair the order with a future pre-order to get free shipping (and then cancel the preorder after your order ships) at Amazon?

That's usually my go-to to at least try at places that don't offer free shipping below an amount, but it doesn't work everywhere.

You could also try a price match with online chat somewhere like Best Buy to see how that works out.

Loop 8...

I've been reading up on it and watched a video review.  It seems like something I might actually like if I got it on the cheap (say $25 on Switch for a physical copy).   Outside of conversations, battles, and just running around looking at the world... is there anything else to do in the game?  Like any kind of side quests or minigames or anything?  I'm not against just conversations to build relationships and battles while looking at the nice art of the world... but I just want to be prepared if that's it for if I end up getting it cheap later.

Prime Day Deals: (may edit later)

$19.99 Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

$19.99 Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - PS5 / PS4 / Xbox

$21.99 Persona 5 Royal - PS5

$19.99 Rune Factory 4

$19.99 Rune Factory 5
Thanks for posting the info. Your link to Mario SoH took me to a 3rd party, I had to search to get the Prime Deal. And I don’t see PS5 SoP on sale, only the PS4 (which has free upgrade but still).

10$ off 75$ with Discover Rewards on Amazon when you use Reward points for the purchase. They also have a 30% some getting 40% off offer for Discover Rewards as well. As usual both are ymmv.

10$ off 75$ with Discover Rewards on Amazon when you use Reward points for the purchase. They also have a 30% some getting 40% off offer for Discover Rewards as well. As usual both are ymmv.
Thanks for the heads up, though I used it on a thermostat. Can't wait to see what kind of games it has!

I was annoyed with life so I picked up Puzzle Bobble 3D Vacation Odyssey and Pocky & Rocky Reshrined (both PS4) on Woot for $15 each without doing my usual rounds of research. Somebody tell me I made a good decision. Or a bad one. Or neither. Validate me!

I was annoyed with life so I picked up Puzzle Bobble 3D Vacation Odyssey and Pocky & Rocky Reshrined (both PS4) on Woot for $15 each without doing my usual rounds of research. Somebody tell me I made a good decision. Or a bad one. Or neither. Validate me!
Pocky and Rocky is a classic and very fun. Natsume did apply a very small (immaterial) censorship to the game but nothing that affects gameplay.

Nothing wrong with either of those games. You chose wisely.

Well this is fun... finally got around to activating my new NISA account and tried to complete check out for Reverie and Ryza 3... and Ryza 3 link doesn't work. Guessing it's sold out... so much for holding on to preorders until the 21st. 

My review of VN Tamayura Mirai after beating one route and almost finishing another.

I'll be honest to start off the review. I usually game before I sleep and this visual novel put me to sleep twice before finishing the one route. To start with the basics this is a fantasy visual novel about spirits and guardians and stuff like that. Most of the main characters are not human, and the main guy is a sorcerer of the land that has a lot interesting about him. He wants to maintain peace on the land and also has some girls aiming for him. The story is decent enough, but I feel goes on way too long and drags a lot for some of the spirits conflicts. One of them was just boring and very long for what it told (maybe 2 or 3 hours for that chapter). The conflicts are interesting enough, and you get to see the main characters and how they interact with them. I believe the true ending has a decent ending, but the second path I was on was a bore fest. It felt like that route was not as important as the one I was first on.

The graphics are nice and the music is pretty nice as well. The voices are quite good for the most part. The visuals during eroge scenes are detailed and nice. Overall nothing to complain about.

I am just not connecting at all with this visual novel. Frankly the characters are very, very boring and simple minded in a way. There is drama, but it feels very stupid and simple at times. I want to see the true route, but these other 2 routes I need to finish before that seem very non important and are there mainly to hook up with that certain heroine.

I'm torn if I should rush those routes (one is almost done) to get to a possible good true route, but I'm just not as interested in the game. Steam says I have 17 hours in the game, but those are false hours as I fell asleep twice, so about 7 or 8 are sleep hours. I feel this is a decent enough game, but I just don't like it very much. I don't even find the humor or romance that good as the characters are just OK. The route I did probably had the best character, so I kind of ruined it for these other 2 ho hum routes. Not recommended 6/10

Ordered the PS5 Atelier Marie remake on Ebay since the usual places didn't have it and it came in yesterday. The front and back cover are in English but the text on the disc art is in Chinese. The whole game only supports English and does not have Japanese/Chinese text available. There is no update and everything is on disc. 

So, there actually was an Asian English PS5 version?  I thought playasia canceled everyone's Asian English PS5 order because it wasn't coming out.  I wonder why they did that then.  Guess I have to buy it off ebay.

My Etrian Odyssey stickers arrived in the mail today!  I got these from subscribing to the Etrian Odyssey newsletter, but I have never received a newsletter.

bDm3nSU.png
Thanks for the info. I thought the Asian English PS5 version was cancelled. I just ordered one off ebay.

Thanks for the info. I thought the Asian English PS5 version was cancelled. I just ordered one off ebay.
I am not sure the exact cause but maybe it is a Singapore version or something since PA doesn't get those. I know Singapore had an Asia-English version of the Soul Hackers 2 CE that was never on PA/VGP/common import sites either. I mostly ordered just in case sources for it dry up.

I am not sure the exact cause but maybe it is a Singapore version or something since PA doesn't get those. I know Singapore had an Asia-English version of the Soul Hackers 2 CE that was never on PA/VGP/common import sites either. I mostly ordered just in case sources for it dry up.
Why wouldn’t they get the Singapore version? The PA order I am currently waiting on shipped out of Singapore so they have an office/warehouse there.

Not sure. I just figured maybe they didn't have access since they didn't have the Soul Hackers 2 CE English version but it is probably something else then. 

bread's done
Back