Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually the only reason I'd want it - because it's physical. I'm just worried it'll be a huge game. I really should invest in a 32 or maybe even a 64 gig memory card.

I'm still debating whether to get the boxed version or just wait for the localization next month. I'm out of space on my memory card and rather not delete stuff though....

x.x
I have the Engrish version and it isn't bad at all. There's yet to be anything that I couldn't somewhat understand in the broken English. They do like to use the word penetrate when referring to infiltrating the dungeons. So I get a childish, cheap laugh here and there. I'm happy with the physical Asian release.

Play Asia just tweeted a sale they are having: 3 Atelier games for $29.99 -- Link Games are Euro version, but PS3 is region free, so they work worldwide.

BsvSKELCUAARVuR.jpg

Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland

Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland

Seemed like a decent offer, thought I'd share

Edit after I tried to order, shipping is rather high for america ($14.90) which lessens the deal a bit -- will have to ponder if I order now. Still, out there for those interested.
not bad considering totori and meruru are more than that new. however roronas worthless what with the enhanced plus version existing. plus that awful shipping. having played ayesha and not really caring for it that much my price point for these would have to be 10 or less

I have the Engrish version and it isn't bad at all. There's yet to be anything that I couldn't somewhat understand in the broken English. They do like to use the word penetrate when referring to infiltrating the dungeons. So I get a childish, cheap laugh here and there. I'm happy with the physical Asian release.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! My favorite one was in the beginning of the game while Kirito was explaining what happened after his duel with Heathcliff on Floor 75...

"After the penetration has ended, the remaining survivors took sorrow for the number of people that are lost."

Overall, there are a lot of grammatical errors, but in my opinion, they don't take away from the gameplay. I'm loving the game.

It's such a huge price jump for the Fairy Fencer F collector's edition though... an extra $25. The Ar No Surge one is only $15 extra, assuming its MRSP is $49.99 as well.
But think of the cool points you'll get rocking that beanie! Really I'm apprehensive against it too....seems a bit much and should be $65 like the other LE. Also doesn't help I know I will play Ar NoSurge first....been waiting for an Ar Tonelico type game for a while. Now you're making me rethink again haha.

nitrosmob, on 17 Jul 2014 - 8:16 PM, said:
Thanks for pointing this out i'm ready to bite on FFF LE and Ar NoSurge LE.....it's going to hurt but I want them!
would love the fff one, but I am trying to shoot for ar, theater rhythm, and senran. since fff is heavy with VN I figured its not worth it, hate Vn heavy games as its a cheap cop out to drag out the hours and shorten the action. cant spend half or more of my play time reading texts and cheap animations, not at full price at least.

But think of the cool points you'll get rocking that beanie! Really I'm apprehensive against it too....seems a bit much and should be $65 like the other LE. Also doesn't help I know I will play Ar NoSurge first....been waiting for an Ar Tonelico type game for a while. Now you're making me rethink again haha.
even if nis does a crappy job like the old ar games, I still like the musical type rpg, a good change of pace from the others that are out their.

Ar Tornelico games have heavy visual novel parts when you do diving for the girls...and I'm guessing the Spa or whatever it is interactions with the girls. Still fun and unique though.

Fairy Fencer F looks better than the average Compile Hearts game, but still looks average. I still want it though since it looks fun though maybe not a real deep experience. 

Bought my first XSeed game today in Killer is Dead.
[SIZE=10pt]Decent game. I'd have to say it's not one of Suda51's best efforts though. Combat and Presentation, are what kept me playing. The story isn't inter-connected at all, until the last few chapters/episodes. The enemy variation also doesn't change up until episode 6 but then goes back to normal afterwards. It's also interesting how they revive you, but I could certainly tell most of the effort went into the Giggolo missions. The game's story makes even less sense than No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise. Which I definitely found to be far more enjoyable. [/SIZE]

Decent game. I'd have to say it's not one of Suda51's best efforts though. Combat and Presentation, are what kept me playing. The story isn't inter-connected at all until the last few chapters/episodes. The enemy variation also doesn't change up until episode 6 but then goes back to normal afterwards. It's also interesting how they revive you, but I could certainly tell most of the effort went into the Giggolo missions. The game's story makes less sense than No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise.
It looked cool art wise. It was kind of an impulse purchase because I wanted to use GameStop credit and coupons, but it was on my list of games to try at some point anyway.

I find myself only buying Japanese games anymore. Also picked up Lollipop Chainsaw and Catherine (finally!).

Nope. I honestly have no idea what I did. All I know, is that I played without a guide. So whatever ending I ended up with is what I got.
It was partially based on the answers that you gave at the end of each stage. But the answers you gave while texting Katherine and Catherine also played a huge part.

Yeah, just choosing the order choice or the chaos choice across the board makes you end up with one or the other. To get neutral you have to switch back and forth. 

Yeah, just choosing the order choice or the chaos choice across the board makes you end up with one or the other. To get neutral you have to switch back and forth.
No Harem End? Glad I never picked it up. Japan has to learn it can't do that.

No Harem End? Glad I never picked it up. Japan has to learn it can't do that.
One of the "True Ending's" mentions a harem of Succubi that surround Vincent. Where they find him to be such an excellent male specimen that many of them forego their duties just so they can be around him. I haven't finished the game so I can't comment on whether or not it's just text or the Wiki leading me to that conclusion.

The "True Ending" mentions a harem of Succubi that surround Vincent. Where they find him to be such an excellent male specimen that many of them forego their duties just so they can be around him. I haven't finished the game so I can't comment on whether or not it's just text or the Wiki leading me to that conclusion.
Three True Endings to be precise. One each for Order, Chaos, and Neutral.

I think im going to cancel my   disgaea 4  le.

dont think a poster, 3 keychains and a cloth is worth  18 bucks  (can get normal  for 33 at best buy)

FF Type-0 translation got taken down at SE's demand.

http://www.skybladecloud.net/type-0-translation-patch-unavailable/
Scum, plain & simple. You take ages to finally announce releasing this in the west, and now you kill the only way for fans to play the original handheld version in english.

Instead of treating your fans like shit, you should have bought this fan translation and released it. Well even though SE cut off the source, this is the internet so the patch can be found anywhere at this point, so all they have done is make yourselves look even worse to the masses.

Scum, plain & simple. You take ages to finally announce releasing this in the west, and now you kill the only way for fans to play the original handheld version in english.

Instead of treating your fans like shit, you should have bought this fan translation and released it. Well even though SE cut off the source, this is the internet so the patch can be found anywhere at this point, so all they have done is make yourselves look even worse to the masses.
I want it on portable so I'll be playing the patched version unless they release on Vita. I'm surprised this didn't come sooner, though.

I want it on portable so I'll be playing the patched version unless they release on Vita. I'm surprised this didn't come sooner, though.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what SE end game is. Sky says he didn't get the typical C&D, but something else, so I guess we'll have to wait on a more detailed explanation before we grab our torches and pitchforks. LOL

I was always under the impression there wasn't much that could be done legally against fan translations. "N" has to be the biggest A-Holes on the planet when it comes to fan created materials, and they shut down anything that speaks of remake or redo of their IP's, but the mother 3 translation to my knowledge has never had any issues, and those guys even release a killer art/guide book for it as well. I would think if "N" had a leg to stand on, they would have shut that down ages ago.

Oh well, I guess we'll know more at some point, but I highly recommend anyone who is interested in Type-O for the PSP, seek it out and give a HUGE thanks to Sky and his team.

I think im going to cancel my disgaea 4 le.

dont think a poster, 3 keychains and a cloth is worth 18 bucks (can get normal for 33 at best buy)
Kind of strange they didn't sneak an artbook in there...possibly a soundtrack. For me I wont use the keychains though I'm a fan of the cloth and I really like the design of the poster.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what SE end game is. Sky says he didn't get the typical C&D, but something else, so I guess we'll have to wait on a more detailed explanation before we grab our torches and pitchforks. LOL

I was always under the impression there wasn't much that could be done legally against fan translations. "N" has to be the biggest A-Holes on the planet when it comes to fan created materials, and they shut down anything that speaks of remake or redo of their IP's, but the mother 3 translation to my knowledge has never had any issues, and those guys even release a killer art/guide book for it as well. I would think if "N" had a leg to stand on, they would have shut that down ages ago.

Oh well, I guess we'll know more at some point, but I highly recommend anyone who is interested in Type-O for the PSP, seek it out and give a HUGE thanks to Sky and his team.
I'm with you. I always thought there was a legal way around it. My understanding for some time was that as long as you only provided the translations and the people you were providing it for bought the game, then there wasn't an issue. I know there is another team working on the PS3 Tales of Vesperia translation.

Somebody on reddit posted this about Type-0, which sounds like it makes the issue a bit more legitimate (and also explains why the patch was 2gb):

Well yes it's a translation, but there's more than just the translation data that's distributed. The patch file contains a lot of the game's data including code and all the FMV cutscenes which were hardsubbed by the group.

It sounds like the guy was sued, which would explain why he can't talk about it?

Also, I don't think fan translations are legal. You can't take Harry Potter and translate it to another language and sell it without licensing it.

Square came after it because there's money to be made in their own Type-0.  Companies only ignore the fan translations around games they don't care about.  Like the SaGa DS games.  Yes, I'm still mad about that.

It sounds like the guy was sued, which would explain why he can't talk about it?

Also, I don't think fan translations are legal. You can't take Harry Potter and translate it to another language and sell it without licensing it.
He wasn't selling the translations, only providing them free of charge. Fans would have to purchase the Japanese copy of FF Type-0, and jailbreak a Sony PSP in order to play the game with the patched translations.

Though, to shed a little light on the subject, this also brings up the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works</a> . Meaning if it is copywritten, then it is considered illegal to do any type of subbing/dubbing to the work for at least 50 years after the author's death and in some cases, longer. There's a ton more to it, but that's gist. Though most fan subbers do not consider themselves a pirate or hacker. In a lot of cases, for example, anime subbers and Japanese copyright holders have a form of unspoken agreement that allows fan subbing since it more time than not, helps their sales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention

Square came after it because there's money to be made in their own Type-0. Companies only ignore the fan translations around games they don't care about. Like the SaGa DS games. Yes, I'm still mad about that.
The issue is probably because it's not just a translation...

Yeah, the Type-0 translation has a lot that isn't text -- it's obvious just by the fact that you only have to patch a single disc to get the whole game.

*Technically* a fan translation is a derivative work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work which means that *technically* they are illegal for anything that isn't "I am doing this in the privacy of my own home and no one else sees it".

This kind of makes me happy...I know it's a bit off topic although it does deal with Niche games...and sales...in a way haha.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/18/mangagamer-profits-come/

I will continue supporting them....I usually buy 3 of their yearly releases. I've been waiting for Imouto Paradise for a while so glad it's finally coming in August.

You can always tell where your money goes with the smaller companies. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back