Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Is it me or does Time and Eternity look awful?[/QUOTE]

It got pretty mixed reviews in Japan. Praise for relatively unique visuals (the game is essentially fully animated) and an interesting battle system, but it's apparently pretty short and easy.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Is it me or does Time and Eternity look awful?[/QUOTE]

i agree i praise them for trying new things, it just the story did not really appeal too me an overall game looks like a prototype for better game if it sell well

Good to hear that The Witch and The Hundred Knights is still alive. After it was pulled from the schedule I thought it might get sucked into the abyss and lost forever. Now I hope the extra work on it makes it worth not being sucked into the abyss and lost forever. Also, NISA, I'd like the same limited edition that Japan is getting. Please. (Artbook, 2-disc OST, nendroid of Metallica)

[quote name='scott_matthews']All three are available for pre-order at Amazon:
[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks. That means physical releases. I was half-dreading these might be PSN download only.

[quote name='worrybomb']NISA held a press event today and announced a few titles that they will be localizing.

- Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
- The Guided Fate Paradox (spiritual successor to ZHP)
- Time and Eternity (both game and anime series)

A few notes from the event: Nippon Ichi Software are planning to support the PS4, Witch and The Hundred Knights game is almost completed, and iOS app Character Chowdown will get an update this coming spring.[/QUOTE]

I just check'd amazons page for time and eternity and it shows July. Is that legit? i havent heard anything about it being localized and July is only 5months away 0_o.

[quote name='JimmyJim']I just check'd amazons page for time and eternity and it shows July. Is that legit? i havent heard anything about it being localized and July is only 5months away 0_o.[/QUOTE]

The press releases say:

D2: Fall 2013
T&E: Summer 2013
TGF Paradox: Fall 2013

So that date could be very close if there are no delays.

Oooooh Kotaku has had me drooling for TokiTowa for awhile now. So happy!!!

Now do I pre-order on Amazon or wait for the inevitable CE and oder direct from Nippon Ichi? I wonder what kind of bonuses they could dig up... looksl ike the Japanese CE had a soundtrack, a Drama CD, and a full-size 48 page art book, as well as a voucher for 11 costumes on DLC. I'd be happy with an OST and an art book, though a costumes voucher as a pre-order bonus would be awesome too...

http://www.play-asia.com/Toki_to_Wa_Limited_Edition/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-5563.html

Is The Guided Fate Paradox a strategy/tactics RPG?

I'm not too fond of those, personally, but it's a little difficult to tell from the trailer. Since it was worked on by the Disgaea team I'm going to assume it is, though.

Totally getting Time and Eternity though!

[quote name='Pheria']Is The Guided Fate Paradox a strategy/tactics RPG?

I'm not too fond of those, personally, but it's a little difficult to tell from the trailer. Since it was worked on by the Disgaea team I'm going to assume it is, though.

Totally getting Time and Eternity though![/QUOTE]

Yes, The Guided Fate Paradox is a strategy jrpg. You can check the trailer on youtube. It looks good but I'm not really good with strategy jrpgs. I feel the same for Time and Eternity. It looks good.

[quote name='Pheria']Is The Guided Fate Paradox a strategy/tactics RPG?

Totally getting Time and Eternity though![/QUOTE]
If the gameplay is like ZHP, it feels more similar to games like Chocobo's Dungeon and Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja.

[quote name='sherlock2g']Yes, The Guided Fate Paradox is a strategy jrpg. You can check the trailer on youtube. It looks good but I'm not really good with strategy jrpgs. I feel the same for Time and Eternity. It looks good.[/QUOTE]

Nope, as pizza mentioned above it's a roguelike similar to ZHP and the other games mentioned. It's also pretty similar to Shiren the Wanderer.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']I can see the Time and Eternity CE being super rare when that drops, definitely will get one of those.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, definitely in for that as well. I'm probably in for everything NISA announced, actually.

Not sure where to post this, my account is jacked and it wont let me create a thread or reply using a hotlink

Tales of Graces F is back in stock at Zavvi for £21.98 ($35)

Definitely excited for Toki to Towa (Time and Eternity), been waiting ever since I heard that Japan was getting it way back in October. If they do a CE I will definitely order it day 1.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']What have Japanese reviews for Toki to Towa been like?[/QUOTE]

reviews and sales were on the low side.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']What have Japanese reviews for Toki to Towa been like?[/QUOTE]
Really bad, just look at a gameplay video, the game itself looks bad.

[quote name='Olengie']I'm probably going to get Toki to Towa. The trailer interested me a lot. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Me too, the animation looks great and it's a breath of fresh air. CE should be pretty rare too. Can't wait for it. :D

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Me too, the animation looks great and it's a breath of fresh air. CE should be pretty rare too. Can't wait for it. :D[/QUOTE]

I'll give you the character models look alright. But the actual animation in the fights is fucking horrible. Seriously bad.

They're actually not models, it's hand drawn animation. But yeah, the gameplay doesn't look very polished. For instance, she should aim and THEN fire instead of doing it all in one motion.

It's actually weird that they decided to go CEL shading, when there's engines that does similar in the eroge world (think Borderlands style graphics).

[quote name='DarkSageRK']That's what happens when you think a game can sell solely on one gimmick.

For the lazies, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlr6IwjfVio[/QUOTE]

This does look pretty bad. I can't imagine this game being successful in Japan. The only reason people in the West would buy it is because there are many people here that clamor for anything Japanese/anime-ish. Aside from that aesthetic--and the standard squeeky voices that go along with it--it just doesn't look good. :/

They decided to do something different than go with the norm. It may not be entirely smooth, but I like the sound of the story and am a sucker for anything with time travel.It's still a day one CE purchase :D

[quote name='aaronrodgers']They decided to do something different than go with the norm. It may not be entirely smooth, but I like the sound of the story and am a sucker for anything with time travel.It's still a day one CE purchase :D[/QUOTE]

Same for me. As someone who grew up with traditional RPGs, I find this to be a really nice change of pace from the norm.

[quote name='Zaku77']Well that is just shitty. :/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DarkSageRK']That's what happens when you think a game can sell solely on one gimmick.

For the lazies, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlr6IwjfVio[/QUOTE]

This doesn't look amazing but looks OK enough for me. I'm clamoring for something a bit less traditional so i'll take my chances. Hopefully the story is good as well!

32/40 from Famitsu.

I'll still get this game regardless. I like the whole idea of it and I typically don't care about reviews. If I like something then I don't need other people telling me if they think it's good or not; opinions are opinions.

I watched a streamer play Toki to Towa a few months back and the way he played it made the combat look more interesting than that video makes it appear to be. The streamer's fights had a better flow to them where his actions made sense and he almost never took damage, whereas the person in the video seems to just facetank and brawl.

It's a bit disappointing that reviews and user opinion seems to be negative about the game, but I've been hoping that the game would be localized since I watched the streamer play it for a while, so I still plan to pick up a copy and decide for myself whether it's a decent game.

[quote name='D.Choy']32/40 from Famitsu.

I'll still get this game regardless. I like the whole idea of it and I typically don't care about reviews. If I like something then I don't need other people telling me if they think it's good or not; opinions are opinions.[/QUOTE]
This.

So they recycle some stuff but who cares? What game DOESN'T recycle shit?

The graphics look excellent and the combat looks fun and seamless like playing a real time anime.(AND YES people these are SPRITES basically. It's NOT 3D. The world is 3D but all the characters are sprites from the looks of it)

the music sounds amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back