Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Does NISA charge at shipping time or when you check out?

Debating on T&E[/QUOTE]

If you're paying with a credit card they'll charge all orders about 2 weeks before the item ships. Not at time of pre-order.

[quote name='bojay1997']It's still free. You have to switch it to the free shipping just before the final checkout screen. Something is screwy with their web form on this one as in the shipping select screen USPS is not an option.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I almost didn't pre-order because I missed this.

I didn't even consider to pre-order this one, but the stock went down pretty fast considering how long it's been available...

[quote name='lutz']I didn't even consider to pre-order this one, but the stock went down pretty fast considering how long it's been available...[/QUOTE]

After looking at some videos of the game in action , I wouldn't buy it.

It could have been a great game but some Japanese companies kill things...

I didn't watch NISA's live stream of T&E, but from what I've read, it didn't exactly do anyone any favors by showing off the mediocre gameplay...

The LE looks attractive, but do I really want to pay $64.99 for an LE box, tear-resistant poster, hardcover art book, and physical soundtrack? ...Oh, and there's some game included, too :)lol:)?

I promise you it will be better than Hyperdimension Neptunia though. I'm bringing that up because a lot of people here ordered those. Man, those games are a train wreck.

Neptunia is way better. There's a lot of gaming references, characters and skits. Even though the game itself is average at best, it has something to offer gamers. Voice acting in Nep was excellent as well, not enough to save the game, but it made the skits entertaining.

Did you hear T&E samples? They are god awful, and not the so bad it's good kind either.This is like a generic 3D rpg but uses 2D "HD" sprites instead of actual character models AND has poor localization with nothing else to offer. Despite this rant, I may pick one up if stock ends up low. I still don't own Mugen Souls for example :)

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']I don't see a number. I really have to fill out one of these stupid form things? Kind of pathetic... It's 2013.[/QUOTE]

(714) 540-1185

Customer Support number (if you haven't done so already) it's in a weird place, had to click on Company instead of Contact Us. :\

For me it was instabuy with how gorgeous the art is, Hardcover Artbook is awesome, and an amazing soundtrack. The track "Rewind" is gorgeous. Poster looks great too.

As for the game, I'll keep expectations low. Plus, I'm a sucker for anything with Time Travel and or Paradoxes, so with a title like "Time and Eternity" I doubt I'll be too disappointed. ;)

[quote name='outerfox'](714) 540-1185

Customer Support number (if you haven't done so already) it's in a weird place, had to click on Company instead of Contact Us. :\[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I filed a cancellation form in customer service. If they don't cancel in 48 hours, I'll call.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, this game looks pretty crappy...[/QUOTE]

A major understatement. This game was a nominee for 2012's "Shit Game of the Year" by Japanese gamers, alongside gems like Duke Nukem Forever and Heavy Fire Afghanistan.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']A major understatement. This game was a nominee for 2012's "Shit Game of the Year" by Japanese gamers, alongside gems like Duke Nukem Forever and Heavy Fire Afghanistan.[/QUOTE]

That bad? Damn lol. I forced myself to pass on Mugen Souls and that was a blessing, maybe its time to do that again.

I'm ordering it just because it's different, and I like that. Seems like an experiment that didn't quite pan out. If nothing else, at least I can enjoy some gorgeous visuals... when I eventually get to it :p

Everything about T&E except the art looks crappy. I feel like western gamers (especially those that are into niche Jap games) buy nearly anything that is overtly Japanese like this. Look at it this way, most of the games made in Japan (including a ton we don't get) are all extremely Japanese. That doesn't make a game good (even if you particularly like that stuff) lol. I think the mindset of: Anime styled Japanese game = nearly insta-buy is sending a weird message to some of these localization companies. We might be sending them some mixed signals on whether we want quality Jap games, or anything with big eyed characters lol.

[quote name='Zaku77']Everything about T&E except the art looks crappy. I feel like western gamers (especially those that are into niche Jap games) buy nearly anything that is overtly Japanese like this. Look at it this way, most of the games made in Japan (including a ton we don't get) are all extremely Japanese. That doesn't make a game good (even if you particularly like that stuff) lol. I think the mindset of: Anime styled Japanese game = nearly insta-buy is sending a weird message to some of these localization companies. We might be sending them some mixed signals on whether we want quality Jap games, or anything with big eyed characters lol.[/QUOTE]

This sums it up quite well... And to be honest, if I had a PS3, I'd buy T&E just to try to get more companies to localize Japanese games, even though this specific game will probably be bad.

Dat artwork though.

Even if the gameplay and aesthetics weren't shoddy, the story is ridiculous and immature as hell. It's fanservice-laden, and not in a good way. I remember when I first saw it I thought it was a neat concept, and I liked that it had a female protagonist. Then I find out that the stupid dragon is actually the main character. And he's a perverted asshole.

Everything about the game just rubs me the wrong way. There was an interview with the producer of the game and the things he said were just... ugh.

"Actually it’s made for guys. When we created this game and when you look at the art, it’s the kind of female design that is pleasing to men, especially in Japan. This anime style is kind of geared toward guys in Japan. Within the game itself there is a healthy amount of "eros", you know, things that aren’t exactly for girls. We have never intended it to be for girls from the beginning."

What the hell?

"We wanted to break the mold and step away from the current trend of male hero. We thought that it would be very interesting to have a heroine instead of a typical male hero, to have a female hero playable character who is strong. It’s a different take on a stale genre, the Japanese RPG genre."

And then literally right after that he says:
"To talk a little bit more about Drake, he’s actually the hero of the game. Due to the events of the game, his soul is being transmigrated into this little dragon. Rather than making it being here’s the chance for all you lonely guys out there to have a cute girlfriend, the theme of the story is on top of the typical love story where a man and a woman have to overcome the general difficulties that exist between a man and a women, now you have one of the characters in a different kind of body."

Yes, it's such an amazing love story, where two people who barely know each other are going to get married, and the guy is a perverted jackass who does things like try to peak in on her in the shower.

I also like how the moron spoils the ending of the game.

tl;dr: It's ****ing awful.

I don't know what it is about these types of games that attracts me. I'm not a big fan of anime. I do like owning obscure video games, though. I like the creativity that comes from Japanese niche titles. They may not be great, hell, they may flat out suck, but usually there's some unique creativity hiding in there. They're just fun to collect and mess around with. Sometimes you find a hidden gem.

I'm not sure if I'll get the CE or not yet but I'll either order that or pass completely since I have a feeling the art might be the only thing I end up liking about T&E. I might just get Disgaea D2 and Guided Fate Paradox from NISA this year. If SMT IV and Tales of Xillia weren't both coming out this summer I'd be more likely to pull the trigger but I'm not hurting for JRPGs so I'm more picky atm lol.

After watching the gameplay video, I have ultimately decided to pass.

Fighting enemies 1 on 1 one right after the other is just silly. Also the way the traveling is laid out, I would get annoyed very quickly by it.

Yeah... I still feel like the games Nippon Ichi develops themselves have something to offer me so I'll be buying Disgaea D2 when it comes out. But there are too many legitimately good games out there now to justify the mentality fostered in the 90s that you have to buy any JRPG that comes along in the hopes that the real gems will make it stateside.

Then again I bought all the Neptunia games even though I only played part of the first one so if you want to buy "Time and Eternity" even though it blows then God love you.

[quote name='Matenshi']
"Actually it’s made for guys. When we created this game and when you look at the art, it’s the kind of female design that is pleasing to men, especially in Japan. This anime style is kind of geared toward guys in Japan. Within the game itself there is a healthy amount of "eros", you know, things that aren’t exactly for girls. We have never intended it to be for girls from the beginning."

What the hell?
[/QUOTE]

I take it you don't watch much/any anime? Most are directed towards guys and are set up like this. Heck, plenty of games are like this, too.

[quote name='Matenshi']

Yes, it's such an amazing love story, where two people who barely know each other are going to get married, and the guy is a perverted jackass who does things like try to peak in on her in the shower.[/QUOTE]

But they're getting married... You know, consentual... Where you do a lot more than just see someone in the shower? Might as well knock on old fashioned Disney movies, with their "love and first sight" and they run off and get married.

I don't understand these particular critiques...

[quote name='Zaku77']Everything about T&E except the art looks crappy. I feel like western gamers (especially those that are into niche Jap games) buy nearly anything that is overtly Japanese like this. Look at it this way, most of the games made in Japan (including a ton we don't get) are all extremely Japanese. That doesn't make a game good (even if you particularly like that stuff) lol. I think the mindset of: Anime styled Japanese game = nearly insta-buy is sending a weird message to some of these localization companies. We might be sending them some mixed signals on whether we want quality Jap games, or anything with big eyed characters lol.[/QUOTE]

We need Gundam games in English.

The GOOD ones...

[quote name='redividedbyd']Yeah... I still feel like the games Nippon Ichi develops themselves have something to offer me so I'll be buying Disgaea D2 when it comes out. But there are too many legitimately good games out there now to justify the mentality fostered in the 90s that you have to buy any JRPG that comes along in the hopes that the real gems will make it stateside.

Then again I bought all the Neptunia games even though I only played part of the first one so if you want to buy "Time and Eternity" even though it blows then God love you.[/QUOTE]

I have just recently changed my way of thinking with games (specifically with most games in this thread in general). I was the guy who bought most of the niche RPG titles day 1 in hopes of them bringing more over.

I am just tired of the mediocrity of most Japanese developed console games that are coming out. Maybe it's because I am getting older and just can't stand another "first year high school student saves the world" trope.

Now, the stuff coming out on handhelds is good stuff, so that I will continue to support most of those titles.

[quote name='dubleo']We need Gundam games in English.

The GOOD ones...[/QUOTE]

Doesn't it just seem like they refuse to give us the good ones? They bring over shit ones like Crossfire, then because those don't sell well, they don't bring over good ones like Extreme Vs!

[quote name='Zaku77']Trolling/ignorance... [/QUOTE]

Games_Misc.jpg

20110119_16.jpg

There are BETTER gundam games, but far from good gundam games.

edit: actually, MS Saga is pretty good, but the dream of taking control of a mobile suit is far from realized.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wasabi5858']
Games_Misc.jpg

20110119_16.jpg

edit: actually, MS Saga is pretty good, but the dream of taking control of a mobile suit is far from realized.[/QUOTE]

Nice collection!! I hope they localize Hastune Miku so I don't have to buy an import copy. Or maybe I can learn basic Japanese instead, but that will take too much time. Though I do know that Wasabi is that green stuff that they serve at the Japanese restaurant that I always pass on :)

[quote name='AugustAPC']I don't know what it is about these types of games that attracts me. I'm not a big fan of anime. I do like owning obscure video games, though. I like the creativity that comes from Japanese niche titles. They may not be great, hell, they may flat out suck, but usually there's some unique creativity hiding in there. They're just fun to collect and mess around with. Sometimes you find a hidden gem.[/QUOTE]
I like owning obscure games too. :)

Gundam Battlefield Record 0081 is actually very good. Too bad they didn't release it outside of Japan. Definitely one of the very best Gundam games ever made.

I got my one Time and Eternity order cancelled, but my funds are still being held. Any idea how long it usually takes to put it back into the account?

[quote name='Xiemos']I have just recently changed my way of thinking with games (specifically with most games in this thread in general). I was the guy who bought most of the niche RPG titles day 1 in hopes of them bringing more over.

I am just tired of the mediocrity of most Japanese developed console games that are coming out. Maybe it's because I am getting older and just can't stand another "first year high school student saves the world" trope.

Now, the stuff coming out on handhelds is good stuff, so that I will continue to support most of those titles.[/QUOTE]

This is actually a genuine predicament that Keiji Inafune tried to bring to a dialogue. Mostly, I see the current issues with the Japanese gaming industry in regards to this console generation being primarily that they never truly adjusted comfortably.

Compare the current output they have had on the Xbox 360 and PS3 to what they put out during the gaming cycle of the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube and what you see is even the best Japanese developers being confounded by the ballooning costs of making a AAA game in a timely manner (Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Persona 5 are still MIA). I honestly think that we are lucky to have seen Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and Valkyria Chronicles. I would almost include Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles, but given that Wii development is much cheaper in comparison to the Xbox 360 and PS3, it is almost as if those games were developed in the last cycle.

If you also look at how much portable gaming systems are favored in Japan, it makes sense that most of the great modern Japanese games are being developed on them. If you enjoy JRPG's and other Japanese niche games, the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP were homes to great experiences (with the caveat that they had to be localized first!). So far, the Nintendo 3DS has been receiving some wonderful support from Atlus and I am even hopeful that Square Enix may bring over some quality games as well (Bravely Default: Flying Fairy). The PlayStation Vita has a couple system selling games in Persona 4: The Golden and Soul Sacrifice, but I would like to see Sony support it more aggressively with unique titles that give players a reason to buy it.

[quote name='fei33']This is actually a genuine predicament that Keiji Inafune tried to bring to a dialogue. Mostly, I see the current issues with the Japanese gaming industry in regards to this console generation being primarily that they never truly adjusted comfortably.

Compare the current output they have had on the Xbox 360 and PS3 to what they put out during the gaming cycle of the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube and what you see is even the best Japanese developers being confounded by the ballooning costs of making a AAA game in a timely manner (Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Persona 5 are still MIA). I honestly think that we are lucky to have seen Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and Valkyria Chronicles. I would almost include Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles, but given that Wii development is much cheaper in comparison to the Xbox 360 and PS3, it is almost as if those games were developed in the last cycle.

If you also look at how much portable gaming systems are favored in Japan, it makes sense that most of the great modern Japanese games are being developed on them. If you enjoy JRPG's and other Japanese niche games, the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP were homes to great experiences (with the caveat that they had to be localized first!). So far, the Nintendo 3DS has been receiving some wonderful support from Atlus and I am even hopeful that Square Enix may bring over some quality games as well (Bravely Default: Flying Fairy). The PlayStation Vita has a couple system selling games in Persona 4: The Golden and Soul Sacrifice, but I would like to see Sony support it more aggressively with unique titles that give players a reason to buy it.[/QUOTE]Good points all around. It really is looking like portable gaming will be a more reliable outlet for quality Japanese titles in the future, at least for now.

FYI, Bravely Default is already confirmed for release next year, as seen here. I know I'm excited. :bouncy:

Games_Misc.jpg

20110119_16.jpg

edit: actually, MS Saga is pretty good, but the dream of taking control of a mobile suit is far from realized.[/QUOTE]

MS Saga has problems (namely the story), but gameplay-wise, it's fantastic. Extreme Vs is actually really good, some of the PS2 games were very solid, and the Battle Assault games were also pretty damn fun. Gundam Battlefield is also supposed to be quite good. I'm a huge Gundam fan, so I've played pretty much all the US released games. I admit that some are quite bad, but there are definitely some good ones, too!

[quote name='blinknot4']Polygon is reporting that Tales of Symphonia is being re-released in HD on PS3 as the Perfect Edition and will include the Wii-exclusive sequel.
No idea if this is coming to the US yet - but, damn, I sure hope it does. I will re-post if it pops up anywhere for preorder...[/QUOTE]

Bad news guys, but Tales of Symphonia Perfect Edition is not real. The creator was misquoted in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back