Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, I have a PS3.  So I'm so going to preorder this.  Now if only Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Yakuza 5 were to be brought over, I'd be happy.

Right, I'll believe that statement as soon as I see Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Skies of Arcadia HD. Let's not forget Yakuza 1&2 HD and 5 and any other good IPs that they abandoned
Uh, they've actually announced that they're going to release this game. They never announced that they were going to release any of the other games you mentioned. So why wouldn't they release Project Diva if they said they will, especially when the demo comes out this Tuesday? Do you expect them to say "Psych! We're not going to release it just like we're not releasing Valkyria 3" come next week?

I suddenly have the most insane boner to play a Tales game and Xilia isn't out until August. 

Is Graces f really as good as the four Tales diehards on GAF say it is? I think I have a half-finished copy of Vesperia lying around somewhere, I'm pretty sure I abandoned it somewhere in Act 2. 

I suddenly have the most insane boner to play a Tales game and Xilia isn't out until August.

Is Graces f really as good as the four Tales diehards on GAF say it is? I think I have a half-finished copy of Vesperia lying around somewhere, I'm pretty sure I abandoned it somewhere in Act 2.
Depends what you expect from an RPG. If all you care about is the battle system, yeah, it's good. But the characters and plot are tired and predictable.

I enjoyed my time with it, but if you didn't like Vesperia (which I consider one of the best RPGs this gen), Graces won't win you over. Unless, like I said before, your primary concern is battle systems.

White, that comment was aim towards the post immediately above. I'm skeptical that SEGA listens to fans as strongly as one poster implied. I think they're just following suit from Namco as they actually made money from idolmaster IP.

Oktober, I believe a lot of fans will agree that the Graces F battle system is superior to Vesperia, but the story was not as strong. It is still one of the better Tales entries. I found the main story a tad short, but the after story is very large and makes the game on par with other tales games. You'll have to learn to like the Graces battle system, as going foward, games like Xillia adopts some of the basics. Strongly recommend finishing Vesperia though

Graces is good, but I liked Vesperia better. Graces is very good though. I think Vesperia has better towns, dungeons, and soundtrack. It just felt like more effort was put into the product IMO. I loved both, though.

Alright, I've give Vesperia another shot. I remember my brother giving me his copy ~9 months after it came out, so who knows what got interrupted by. 

Thanks guys. 

(for the record though, Symphonia was one of my favorite RPGs of last gen)

Alright, I've give Vesperia another shot. I remember my brother giving me his copy ~9 months after it came out, so who knows what got interrupted by.

Thanks guys.

If you liked Symphonia, you'll like Vesperia. In fact, Vesperia has a lot of story elements that are similar to Symphonia.

Does anyone know if Dragon's Crown has artbook listed on the pre-order in Gamestop's system? I pre-ordered right after the artbook was announced, but sometimes Gamestop pre-orders will say something like "Dragon's Crown w Artbook" or so. I don't want to get screwed out of it.

Thanks guys.

If you liked Symphonia, you'll like Vesperia. In fact, Vesperia has a lot of story elements that are similar to Symphonia.
Symphonia, Vesperia, and Abyss was made by the same team. If they feel similar, that'd be why. However, I didn't think the story elements themselves were that similar.

Just a heads up to anyone who was interested in the Time and Eternity Collector's Edition, there is now less than 25% stock available.

Just a heads up to anyone who was interested in the Time and Eternity Collector's Edition, there is now less than 25% stock available.
I was totally hyped for this being localized, but i just can't convince myself to pull the trigger with all the bad press floating around. My hands on experiance wasnt that great with it either

I was totally hyped for this being localized, but i just can't convince myself to pull the trigger with all the bad press floating around. My hands on experiance wasnt that great with it either
Damn, I was hoping that it wouldn't hit that low. I wasn't going to buy the special edition unless stock went into the red (holding out on a reduced price like Totori did).

Ugh, I'm so wishy washy on Time and Eternity....the Collectors Edition part entices me, the game itself does not.

I know, the game is so bad based on the reviews and the gameplay, but I won't be able to own it at a reasonable price if it actually sells out. At least Neptunia had some redeemable qualities...

I know, the game is so bad based on the reviews and the gameplay, but I won't be able to own it at a reasonable price if it actually sells out. At least Neptunia had some redeemable qualities...
Funny you say that...I didn't get Neptunia Victory because I had little interest in it and then I did because of the qualities it had.

I would have probably been happier buying a dinged large tin (and fixing it) and just buying the game from NIS's store sometime down the line though instead of getting a new collector's edition, but anyway, I think that Time and Eternity is more likely to be like a Ys games premium edition down the road (where it would be selling for less than $65) then a...let's say Mk2 collector's edition.

To the ones lazy to click the Link

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F is slated to hit North America and Europe in August 2013. It will be released physically and digitally and a Demo will be released on June 11th. Now go and be excited. :lol:
Whooooooop! *ahem* Well this is interesting. Picked up the JP Vita and PS3 version before but I'll definitely get this again. It's good that it's the PS3 version too so we get the six extra songs that are DLC on the Vita version.
I don't own any of the versions, but from the youtube videos, the vita and ps3 versions look very similar graphically. I was hoping for a more significant graphical upgrade (more on the level of Project Diva Arcade, which looks fantastic IMO and way better than the Dreamy theater versions). Maybe after they release the ps4, the Hatsune Miku console releases will have graphics at least on par with the arcade machine.

Funny you say that...I didn't get Neptunia Victory because I had little interest in it and then I did because of the qualities it had.

I would have probably been happier buying a dinged large tin (and fixing it) and just buying the game from NIS's store sometime down the line though instead of getting a new collector's edition, but anyway, I think that Time and Eternity is more likely to be like a Ys games premium edition down the road (where it would be selling for less than $65) then a...let's say Mk2 collector's edition.
I don't see the connection with this and the YS premium packs. 1&2 chronicles and 7 both came out at around 30ish and are worth more now. Also, YS was done by Xseed who does many print runs while NISA usually does not (for premium editions)

I decided to pass on Time and Eternity, I get the feeling it might sell even less that Mugen Souls did and still be available for purchase later.

Even if I miss out, its just a poster, a box, and an artbook. After watching gameplay footage, the game just seems like one of the most repetitive things ever. Looks like they put more work into the art than the actual gameplay

If you are unsure, then order it. Unless you are really cash strapped. It's better than it selling out and you not being able to get it.

From Atlus USA's twitter:

"If you like scary things, stay up late for tonight’s @GTTV episode at 1 AM on Spike TV. ATLUS has big news 4 a title coming early next year." https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/342755687392227328
I assume they are talking about SMT Devil Survivor 2: Break Record. I wouldn't be able to guess what it was other then that.

Edit: Oh wait didn't read the whole thing. DS2 isn't scary so it can't be that ><.

"If you like scary things, stay up late for tonight’s @GTTV episode at 1 AM on Spike TV. ATLUS has big news 4 a title coming early next year." https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/342755687392227328
I assume they are talking about SMT Devil Survivor 2: Break Record. I wouldn't be able to guess what it was other then that.

Edit: Oh wait didn't read the whole thing. DS2 isn't scary so it can't be that ><.
Given the number 4, I'd figure it's the fourth game in a series. The only thing that jumps out for me is Fatal Frame Wii, but it seems like an odd point in the lifecycle to release that.

Ha. Just realized the timing for the reveal and did a web search. Neogaf reports it was RIPD (Rest in Peace Department) for XBL Arcade.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579137

Given the number 4, I'd figure it's the fourth game in a series. The only thing that jumps out for me is Fatal Frame Wii, but it seems like an odd point in the lifecycle to release that.

Ha. Just realized the timing for the reveal and did a web search. Neogaf reports it was RIPD (Rest in Peace Department) for XBL Arcade.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579137
Huh? That announcement was for Daylight, coming to PS4 (that's what the "4" meant) and PC.

See here: http://www.destructoid.com/daylight-announced-for-ps4-and-pc-atlus-publishing--255547.phtml

Preordered Tales of Symphonia

Also found Trinity Universe at Gamestop on Sat so I decided to buy it.

I think the only other JRPG's I want that are out now for PS3 are Atelier Mereru and Ayesha, and maybe Cross Edge. Is Cross Edge any good?

These past few days have been dominated by "is this game good?" questions, so have a super-ultra PS3 cross-reference guide for J-RPG-buying decisionery:

Buy; this is almost half as good as Call of Duty:

Ni no Kuni (Only if you like Ghibli movies and feeling like a little kid.)

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Atelier series (Totori, Meruru, Ayesha, Dusk)

Valkyria Chronicles

Disgaea 4

Some say these games are good, others have taste:

Final Fantasy XIII

Eternal Sonata

Tales of Graces F

Resonance of Fate

NIER

Ar Tonelico Qoga

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny

Disgaea 3

Avoid, like women do to you:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Enchanted Arms

White Knight Chronicles I/II

Trinity Universe

Hyperdimension Neptunia Series (I, mk2, Victory)

Mugen Souls

Cross Edge

Last Rebellion

Record of Agarest War series (I, II, Zero)

The ultimate take-away from this is that J-RPGs have led a sad existence this home console gen. Only Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Ni No Kuni will change anybody's minds toward the genre, while the already converted are struggling to find anything that can replicate the experiences of yesteryear. If you're looking for good J-RPGs to enjoy, you're probably not gonna find any on the home consoles. :/

Awesome, might try to pre-order Project Diva F in-store.  Intersting, Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection is still not available to pre-order on U.S. Gamestop's  website.

These past few days have been dominated by "is this game good?" questions, so have a super-ultra PS3 cross-reference guide for J-RPG-buying decisionery:

Final Fantasy XIII-2
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea 4

Final Fantasy XIII
Eternal Sonata
Tales of Graces F
Resonance of Fate
NIER
Ar Tonelico Qoga
Disgaea 3

Enchanted Arms
Trinity Universe
Mugen Souls
Cross Edge
Last Rebellion

The ultimate take-away from this is that J-RPGs have led a sad existence this home console gen. Only Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Ni No Kuni will change anybody's minds toward the genre, while the already converted are struggling to find anything that can replicate the experiences of yesteryear. If you're looking for good J-RPGs to enjoy, you're probably not gonna find any on the home consoles. :/

What a terrible list that should probably be avoided like the plague lol.

Also related, BB: ChronoPhantasma gets a localization from Aksys yet again, heard they're gonna release it next year (oh well), also, still PS3 only (360 users get shunned...>_>), no date or price...yet.

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Valkyria Chronicles

Disgaea 4

Final Fantasy XIII

Eternal Sonata

Tales of Graces F

Resonance of Fate

NIER

Ar Tonelico Qoga

Disgaea 3

Enchanted Arms

Trinity Universe

Mugen Souls

Cross Edge

Last Rebellion

I don't completely agree with your lists (I'd drop XIII-2 to the bottom section, and probably at Lost Odyssey somewhere near the end of the top section) but your sentiment is pretty accurate.

Does anyone think the Time and Eternity Limited Edition from NIS America is worth the $65?  I completely forgot about the game and see that they have less than 25% stock remaining.  As someone who got the Limited Edition sets for The Atelier games and Neptunia games, I kinda feel like this set is a bit lacking.  So I don't know whether to get the LE or regular edition of Time and Eternity. (Or not at all lol) 

I don't agree with the list either, but we all have different tastes. However, I do think his tiering system is flawed as there should be four levels :p

Cream of the crop:

Ni no Kuni

Valkyria Chronicles

Tales of Vesperia

Xenoblade
The Last Story

Tales of Graces F

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Lost Odyssey

Good but flawed:

Disgaea 4

Magna Carta 2

Pandora's Tower

Blue Dragon

Final Fantasy XIII

Eternal Sonata

Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World

Resonance of Fate

NIER

Disgaea 3

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Bad, but has some sort of merit:

Trinity Souls of Zill'Oll

Trinity Universe

Ar Tonelico Qoga

Operation Darkness
Enchanted Arms

Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remanent

Just plain bad:

Time and Eternity

Mugen Souls

Cross Edge

Last Rebellion

I'm not even going to get into breaking the list down item by item. I am very particular about differentiating between objective and subjective problems. People all have different tastes, and that's fine, but a lot of people lack the ability to see if something is good/bad or if it is just something they like/don't like lol.

(Although, lutz, I like your list quite a bit more! My biggest gripe would be putting NIER into a one of a kind, must be experienced category lol. There may be some drawbacks (the combat is adequate, nothing else, and the graphics were dated before it even came out, but experiences of that tier just don't come along very often, and the overwhelming greatness of the whole package washes away the slight flaws like an ocean vs a cup of water lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back