Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
About the bubble mailers...

Since my copy of PXZ hasn't shipped yet, I contacted them on chat to make a note about using a box for the shipment, with my and others getting their products ruined from the mailers. Things went smooth and they are sending a box! Perhaps doing this FIRST will result in less agravation for us consumers wanting our items nice, and maybe they will finally stop putting them in mailers? Even if they put it in those cardboard flaps, where you peel the tab off, would work MUCH better.
You wasted your time, unfortunately. The warehouse doesn't even have access to those comments from CS when they are packing for shipment. They have a computerized system that tells them what to use and the only time it ever gets changed is if a certain number of items get damaged, the item goes into review and someone overrides the system that tells them what packaging to use at the warehouse.

So... Muramasa or PxZ if I can only get one right now?
It really depends on what you like. They're totally different genres.

But if you intend to get both eventually, you'll want PxZ first. Muramasa will likely not sell out (and if it does, you can just grab it from a PSN sale or something), whereas PxZ has a first-run LE bonus that almost assuredly will.

Yeah I just got mine from Amazon, dinged up in a bubble mailer. The last couple of times I said, "eh, whatever", but this time I sent a complaint to customer service. They should automatically wrap anything with "collectors edition" in the name in a box. 

I've only every had one item damaged in a bubble mailer (Ni No Kuni), and have ordered hundreds of items. Also have shipped many items in a bubble mailer and have never had a complaint. It should be plenty of protection -- it's careless handling either in the warehouse or during shipping that's the problem.

Ended up cancelling my Muramasa LE. Just grabbed some PSN cards to download it, couldnt get over the color of that case. And I was getting annoyed by last second delays at GS

XxFuRy2Xx, on 25 Jun 2013 - 7:25 PM, said:Damn, forgot to pre-order project x zone and now it isn't available from amazon anymore. I hope that they'll get more first run copies.
You could just try your local big name retail chain, I've seen it in a lot of unlikely places for a niche game with jp va.

Also, I put in a preorder on the Time and Eternity boxed set. Watching that trailer and the Witch/100 Knights one reminded me of why I liked NIS America so much, and if the game sucks at least it'll look purdy in the backlog library. Also, I'm glad they have a free shipping option, I don't think they used to...

Thanks everybody for your discussions, I'd have overlooked T&E otherwise.

With all the meh reviews, I am actually enjoying the mash up of Project X Zone quite a bit. I am only on the 4th prologue at the moment, however, so things could get worse/better.

I decided to pick up Project X Zone with a $25 reward certificate.  It may go down to $30 eventually but I don't want to risk it.  I was not going to get it because I thought it was a fighting game lol.  Sounds pretty insane so hopefully it is fun.

I've only every had one item damaged in a bubble mailer (Ni No Kuni), and have ordered hundreds of items. Also have shipped many items in a bubble mailer and have never had a complaint. It should be plenty of protection -- it's careless handling either in the warehouse or during shipping that's the problem.
Then either you don't send many 'boxed' editions of games, or your customers really couldn't care less about condition. Damaged doesn't have to mean destroyed. The TINEST bit of pressure on a 'boxed' game in a bubble mailer will result in a crease along the side of the box (and many worse things than that often happen). That doesn't 'hurt' the game, and many, many consumers don't care about that. That is still a 'damaged' item, though, and there are many--myself 110% included--that find that absolutely unacceptable.

It really depends on what you like. They're totally different genres.

But if you intend to get both eventually, you'll want PxZ first. Muramasa will likely not sell out (and if it does, you can just grab it from a PSN sale or something), whereas PxZ has a first-run LE bonus that almost assuredly will.
Yep. Just like how Etrian Odyssey and Soul Hackers did.

Oh wait...

Oh wait...
Thing is this likely has less of a print than the Atlus games. Amazon already not selling anymore (officially through them last time I checked) shows that their isn't a lot. It could be like Fire Emblem: Awakening with a small supply to start and more later, but I don't see it esp since it seems like they will just keep it to 1 whatever sized print run since the title is so niche.

Oh wait...
I don't believe I ever said those would be rare. I didn't buy them either -- waiting on drops to $20 for each.

Based on all the hubbub over PxZ, I'm making the assumption that it will end up rarer than Muramasa. I think that's a fair sentiment.

Does NIS America charge at shipping or charge when you order?

Thinking about that T&E LE.
Here is NIS Store policy with pre-orders

Q. Do you charge/bill for preorders when the order is placed, or on release date?

A. We do not bill you for preorders when you first place your order, but there will be a pre-authorization charge for the full amount of the order. This pre-authorization charge is temporary and will be lifted after about 6-10 business days (exact time may vary depending on your bank).

We typically bill preorders about 7 days before the release date (varies from title to title) to ensure we can process and ship out your order on time, and we will notify you before billing begins. If you have any special circumstances with your billing/payment, please feel free to contact us and we will assist you as best we can.

Q. My payment was declined. I thought you didn't charge right away...?

A. While we do not bill you right away, the pre-authorization charge requires the full amount to be available. Another reason your card might be declined is because there may be an error with your billing address. Please make sure that your billing address matches with the information registered with your credit card.

Q. I ordered another product along with my preorder. Will I receive this product before my preorder releases/ships?

A. All orders are shipped out together once all of the items ordered are available to be shipped. That means that any item you order with your preorder will be reserved for you and shipped out once your preorder is available. If you would like to receive non-preorder items as soon as possible, we ask that you place those items in a separate order.

Q. Will you restock your Limited Edition sets?

A. Unfortunately, we will not be reprinting or remanufacturing our Limited Edition sets. We have to decide on a certain quantity and start manufacturing many months before the release date. Because of this and the spirit of "Limited Editions," we won't be restocking any Limited Editions.

Q. What happens if there's an issue with my payment?

A. If we are unable to bill your order, it will not be cancelled. Instead, your order will be placed on hold and we will promptly contact you. However, if we do not hear back from you after several attempts to contact you, then your order may be cancelled. We won't be able to process or ship your order until the payment issue is resolved, but as long as your order is on hold, your items will stay reserved for you.

I want that PS3 region free LE D&D Chronicles of Mystaria game, I see the regular edition on Amazon.JP but it looks like I don't see the limited edition. But even if they had it, US customers can't get games from Amazon Japan can they? The list price is $123 after conversion and Play Asia wants $175 for it, anyone else know a way of paying MSRP for this one?
Beware there's no English in either the Japanese or Asian versions.

Oh wait...
GS stores getting a 2nd shipment of PxZ are getting vanilla versions. Also ALL of Newegg's copies are vanilla also.

Plus the GS I shop at finally sold their Etrian Odyssey IV a couple of weeks ago and the new one they were shipped was a vanilla one so if you want the goodies you better get it now.

About the bubble mailers...

Since my copy of PXZ hasn't shipped yet, I contacted them on chat to make a note about using a box for the shipment, with my and others getting their products ruined from the mailers. Things went smooth and they are sending a box! Perhaps doing this FIRST will result in less agravation for us consumers wanting our items nice, and maybe they will finally stop putting them in mailers? Even if they put it in those cardboard flaps, where you peel the tab off, would work MUCH better.
I had the same experience except they sent it to me the first time in a bubble mailer. Called CSR and returned my first one via RMA, and they actually sent it to me again in a bubble mailer. Hopefully your experience is better than mine. I ended up sending it back for a full refund when I received it the second time.

I had the same experience except they sent it to me the first time in a bubble mailer. Called CSR and returned my first one via RMA, and they actually sent it to me again in a bubble mailer. Hopefully your experience is better than mine. I ended up sending it back for a full refund when I received it the second time.
Happened to me with Soul Hackers.

Luckily it was in good condition the second time, even though it came in a bubble mailer again.

Did anyone else who pre-order PXZ from Newegg get the regular edition? I thought all first run copies were the LE?

I also got my pre-order from them and it's a regular edition...

What the crap? I also thought all first print copies were going to be LE?

Mine was also regular - not sure if I can return it since their site never mentioned anything about the first print edition. I guess I got what I paid for since I used the coupon. Did anyone get lucky and receive the LE version?

Mine was also regular - not sure if I can return it since their site never mentioned anything about the first print edition. I guess I got what I paid for since I used the coupon. Did anyone get lucky and receive the LE version?
Just for fyi, I was at two gamestops today and each one had at least 6 "limited edition" versions available [not reserved], maybe you may find one at your local gamestop? This was in metrowest MA, BTW.

Time and Eternity LE officially sold out.
I was this close to ordering it last night but I couldn't bring myself to do it after reading more impressions about the game. This'll be the first NISA LE I've passed on this gen. I'm hoping we see another Mugen Souls situation so I can pick it up cheap in a few months.

I picked up Project X Zone at Best Buy today, they had 3 copies left before I got mine. All the "limited" version.

I was this close to ordering it last night but I couldn't bring myself to do it after reading more impressions about the game. This'll be the first NISA LE I've passed on this gen. I'm hoping we see another Mugen Souls situation so I can pick it up cheap in a few months.
IMO, you made the right decision: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Time_and_Eternity/index.html

As a heads-up, there's spoilers in there, so if you read it, tread carefully (there's a (Spoiler!) indicator immediately before it).

IMO, you made the right decision: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Time_and_Eternity/index.html

As a heads-up, there's spoilers in there, so if you read it, tread carefully (there's a (Spoiler!) indicator immediately before it).
Wow! I had read RPGamer's review and it was overwhelmingly negative, but I was worried that the reviewer had an axe to grind However, I do typically trust RPGfan and they're echoing everything I read in the first review, so, in addition to import impressions, I guess this really is a stinker. It's a shame, I really appreciate that NISA really does help us JRPG fans in the west, but now that they've lost the Atelier series to TK, I don't know if I'll be as active about buying their LEs. After games like Mugen Souls, Neptunia Victory (just can't get into it compared to the other two), and this, I'm losing hope (and that's without bringing up Last Rebellion).

XD

I RARELY see RPGFan give a game a score less than 75%. EXTREMELY RARELY. In fact, I always thought they rated games on a 50%-100% scale. For them to give a game a 38%, it must be REALLY awful.

Also, I stopped by a Best Buy on my way home on a whim and they had one last copy of the LE, so I picked it up. It turns out that the UPC number and bar code are exactly the same for the regular and limited editions and the receipt only says "Project X Zone". So, I am just going to return the regular copy I got from Newegg to Best Buy to keep my LE for the discounted Newegg price.

I ended up getting T&E. Had the spare cash, and I'd kick myself if it ended up being rare (Did that with Neptunia MK2 LE). Guess ill see first hand how bad it truly is lol

hey guys

do any of you know if Amazon still has copies of Etrian Odyssey IV with the soundtrack?  It's in my gold box today and I wanted to pick it up if it was.

Thanks!

I've been vocally expressing how awful the game looked for a while, so it's nice to see that sentiment backed up in a non-mainstream review. Just because something is overtly Japanese/Anime doesn't mean it's actually good. A lesson many could stand to learn lol.

hey guys

do any of you know if Amazon still has copies of Etrian Odyssey IV with the soundtrack? It's in my gold box today and I wanted to pick it up if it was.

Thanks!
The product page still shows the 1st print... so you could order it and see (might want to cap the screen, to be safe). If it's the regular edition, you can return it without cost for being "not as described".

Maybe they cut production units because of how much suckage this game is emanating.

I ordered from Amazon and got the LE of Project X Zone. I was under the impression that the first run (and I figured only run) would all be LEs. That sucks. Great game so far though.

I ordered from Amazon and got the LE of Project X Zone. I was under the impression that the first run (and I figured only run) would all be LEs. That sucks. Great game so far though.
Yeah NewEgg only had vanilla copies. Beware that GS locations are getting resupplied with vanilla editions so this truly looks like a first print run thing a la the Metro Last Light LE.

For those complaining about the vanilla / LE stuff, it was a "first run" edition, but Newegg tends to be the "odd man out" if you would. Like the official Muramasa website lists Amazon / Gamestop as the only sellers (they also got preorder items), where as Muramasa was for sale on Newegg and most likely without the soundtrack. This happens with a lot of games and really isn't that surprising. 

For what it is worth, the first run edition is not as super awesome as you might think it is. The "Art book" is a small booklet (the size of the game case) and has a single page for every character, with their name, franchise and company with a single image of them and a larger segment of that image behind them. The OST has 13 songs from various games and 9 original songs from Project X Zone. The final poster is nice, but really small and folded several times. For a first run edition it's pretty awesome, but not something I would say kills a later purchase and or is something to feel bad for missing.

Also "off the record", but the LE comes with a sealed copy of the game inside of the box with LE stuff. For those of you that opened your newegg copy and really want the LE, you can attempt to just return the sealed copy inside of the box. Might even work to just pocket the items (since the sku number of the same), but I don't condone / advise anyone to do that. 

Is Time & Eternity that bad?.

I'm not familiar with rpgfan so I'm not sure how relieable the website is.

I have the LE edition preordered but now i'm having second thoughts :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back