Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't some of the save points spaced hours apart as well?
I played it a long time ago, so I don't remember.. Can only remember what caused me to finally put the game down and do something useful with my time.

As for your DLC question, it will invariably be put on the Playstation Store. Square did that with FFXIII-2 as well.

Yeah, after thinking about it, the guy did say the story/characters sucked and that's a major need for me with RPGs so that's out.

One more question for you guys. I have Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX for the DS and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get to them. Should I just trade them in or should I make sure I play them?
IV is worth playing. You can chuck the rest.

Yeah, after thinking about it, the guy did say the story/characters sucked and that's a major need for me with RPGs so that's out.

One more question for you guys. I have Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX for the DS and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get to them. Should I just trade them in or should I make sure I play them?

If you are asking that question then I would think you need to get rid of them.
Dump them. My first experience with Dragon Quest was DQ9 and I couldn't even get through the game. It was really bad. I know a lot of people love the series but I think it's mostly nostalgia because as a long time fan of JRPG's, I can honestly say that game was not good. The story was as cliche as they come and the acting was horrendous.

IMO, none of these games on your list really "respect your time.". These are, on the short side, 40 hour investments. On the higher side it's closer to 80 hours (SO4).

The DQ games don't hold up well. The remakes didn't update them much, and they all feel pretty outdated, even IX.

Honestly most of these games are mediocre and you wouldn't be missing out on much if you spent your time playing more (and better) games. There's been like zero innovation the past few years/

There are very few JRPGs this generation that are worth the effort from beginning to finish.

I enjoyed the crap out of DQ IV and V. I've not played VI yet, though. They hold up MUCH better than the classic Final Fantasy games do. The stories can be fairly light, but it's done in a very enjoyable way. The character designs are great, the gameplay is tried and true, and the updated graphics make them very, very playable. Honestly, there's only been a few (myabe 5-6) JRPGs in the past many years that have been amazing in every possible way. Most, like any game, are somewhat flawed in one way or another. I feel like you are trying a little bit too hard to find a reason to get rid of games. If you like Action RPGs, play SO4; You'll really enjoy it. I didn't say the characters are story sucked; they just aren't great. I can't objectively call them great. It wasn't horrible, though. The 'game' aspect of SO4 just happens to be the stronger component of the brew. Do you enjoy the classic turn based JRPG? Play freakin' Dragon Quest, then. Japan all but shuts down when these games come out; it is one of the oldest, strongest brands in the entire freakin' genre.

I enjoyed the crap out of DQ IV and V. I've not played VI yet, though. They hold up MUCH better than the classic Final Fantasy games do. The stories can be fairly light, but it's done in a very enjoyable way. The character designs are great, the gameplay is tried and true, and the updated graphics make them very, very playable. Honestly, there's only been a few (myabe 5-6) JRPGs in the past many years that have been amazing in every possible way. Most, like any game, are somewhat flawed in one way or another. I feel like you are trying a little bit too hard to find a reason to get rid of games. If you like Action RPGs, play SO4; You'll really enjoy it. I didn't say the characters are story sucked; they just aren't great. I can't objectively call them great. It wasn't horrible, though. The 'game' aspect of SO4 just happens to be the stronger component of the brew. Do you enjoy the classic turn based JRPG? Play freakin' Dragon Quest, then. Japan all but shuts down when these games come out; it is one of the oldest, strongest brands in the entire freakin' genre.
I am looking for reasons to get rid of games. My backlog is ridiculous.

Well, I guess it depends on what your priorities are, then. JRPGs are my favorite genre, so that's the last place I would look to get rid of--especially a big classic, legendary series like DQ. Star Ocean doesn't have as much weight behind it, but next to Kingdom Hearts and Tales, it's easily the best action RPG series. Don't you have random, 'meh' little NIS/Atlus type games to unload if you're trying to pair down games from this genre? lol.

Well, I guess it depends on what your priorities are, then. JRPGs are my favorite genre, so that's the last place I would look to get rid of--especially a big classic, legendary series like DQ. Star Ocean doesn't have as much weight behind it, but next to Kingdom Hearts and Tales, it's easily the best action RPG series. Don't you have random, 'meh' little NIS/Atlus type games to unload if you're trying to pair down games from this genre? lol.
I'm keeping Disgaea 4, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, the Hyperdimension series, Ni No Kuni, Record of Agarest War Zero, and Resonance Fate for PS3. For DS, I'm keeping 999, Chrono Trigger, both Kingdom Hearts games, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, Pokemon Heart/Gold, Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2, Radiant Historia, and The World Ends With You.

So yeah, I think I'm good on JRPGs, haha.

Getting rid of Dragon Quest and keeping Hyperdimension Neptunia and Eternal Sonata. I'm going to write poetry about how unfair the world is now... lol

I'm keeping Disgaea 4, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, the Hyperdimension series, Ni No Kuni, Record of Agarest War Zero, and Resonance Fate for PS3. For DS, I'm keeping 999, Chrono Trigger, both Kingdom Hearts games, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, Pokemon Heart/Gold, Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2, Radiant Historia, and The World Ends With You.

So yeah, I think I'm good on JRPGs, haha.
Those console games are generally only considered mediocre (Ni No Kuni is good if you're 9 or want to be in a 9 year old's body).

Those 3DS games are good choices, though.

Getting rid of Dragon Quest and keeping Hyperdimension Neptunia and Eternal Sonata. I'm going to write poetry about how unfair the world is now... lol
So very true. If someone gave him that advise in this thread, they must have been a highly sadistic person. The Hyperdimension games are very niche. I know I personally find the art style...disturbing. I'd imagine that there are some people that play it for that; I couldn't imagine any other reason they would. The games have no stand out qualities; I can't think of lower quality series of games.

thats a very odd and incorrect way to describe ni no kuni.
It's only all-ages in the sense that Disney movies are all-ages. The target demographic is not people that have hit puberty. It's fine if you want to enjoy the game anyway, but stop thinking every game is targeted to - and revolves around - you.

So very true. If someone gave him that advise in this thread, they must have been a highly sadistic person. The Hyperdimension games are very niche. I know I personally find the art style...disturbing. I'd imagine that there are some people that play it for that; I couldn't imagine any other reason they would. The games have no stand out qualities; I can't think of lower quality series of games.
The Hyperdimension games were never up for debate. Yeah, I know they're not the greatest RPGs out, but something about them speaks to me and I want to play them.

d2_premium_guide.jpg

Man. I really want the Disgaea D2 LE, but I really have a problem spending so much money on a single video game...

(Buys the $105 version anyway)

Add me to the list of those who don't like DQ. I didn't play the DS ones but I regret playing through DQ8. I'm a lot pickier now than I use to be though.
I couldn't get into DQ8 but DQ9 was amazing. It fixed most of the problem I had with the series.

I couldn't get into DQ8 but DQ9 was amazing. It fixed most of the problem I had with the series.
By taking out a large portion of the story and focusing on multiplayer gameplay that just didn't exist in the West? lol. I enjoyed IX, but it was a step in the wrong direction for the series. You could go HOURS without getting any story; you created your own party, so they sure as hell didn't have anything to contribute to characterization, back story, etc. It was like the Crystal Chronicles of the series. Previously, the games were more of a guided, story, character experience. It was always somewhat light hearted, but it was extremely endearing. I like a lot of things IX did for the gameplay, but it seems their ideas would have served better as a side series, than as changing the formula of the main series. And that goes double, nay, triple for X.

Personally I would just keep them. More so for a collection purpose then just to play them then. My RPG backlog is well we don't want to go into that but I keep most of my RPG games for collectors sake. I mean not that one day I am banking on them getting valuable but it's still cool to be able to play them years down the road. Plus JRPG's hold up way better than a lot of genres. JRPG's 20 years old now are still fun to play.

Question. Is NIS America only offering the soundtrack for DIsgaea D2 or is Amazon gonna offer it too?

Atlas sale on PSN last I checked. Stuff like Riviera the Promised land for $2.50, Gungnir for $7.50, Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for $7.50, etc. I don't have any facts about its duration.

I'm still on the fence with the Disgaea D2 Premium Strategy bundle. The Disgaea 4 Brady guide is really bad. Full of errors and it is missing most of the post game content information(A must have in Disgaea guide). A huge downgrade from Double Jump guides, thou Double Jump guides have lots of padding. Over 500+ pages of useless data information with about 10-20 pages of useful information such as formulas to mid/max your character/item experience. These Brady or Prima guide are either a hit or miss depending on the writer(most of them are a big miss). You can either get a overpriced instruction manual or great guide such as Star Ocean 4 or Lost Odyssey.

Regardless, no company made guides can beat online or Wiki guides since they're updated frequently and you can share a larger pool of information from message board. If the community is strong, you will have a lot of useful data. Japanese wki are far more reliable since JRPG are mainstream there, which result in a larger pool of information. Theory crafter will help improve farming efficency and better understanding of game mechanics such as formulas, hit box, item procs or how number generator works. The downside from online guides is language barriers from Japanese Wiki. Google translate will butcher some words pretty bad. Also, if that particular game have a bad community it will take months or years to pull good data.

In the end, I sill prefer company made physical or e guides. I hate reading wall of text. Pictures make stuff more easier find especially when it comes to maps. Most online guides fail in that department. And their guides are far more organized. As long as guide have enough good information I can figure the rest myself. I rarely use their stategies.  Most of it is genre fundamentals such as hurt/heal and buff/debuff. All I need is the hard data. I only use their strategy if it game breaking overpowered such frame canceling or skip animation cast, but i rarely seem in company guide. That information is often found in message boards.

HakaHina, on 11 Jul 2013 - 2:27 PM, said:I think it might be important to mention that the JP CE is largly inferior to ours and even retailed at ¥11340 WITHOUT the guide and postcards.Wow, that's considerably a better deal.

Also, the Time and Eternity LE is back up for order at less than 25% left. Fair warning, it's supposed to be horrible but I personally can't wait.

Dammit, was hoping the D2 LEs stuck around a while, guess ill have to jump on the strategy version now :(

Atleast I got a 5$ GC thanks to T&E. Also, does NIS have a phone number for orders or something? Trying to change my delivery address before shipping, but no reply to my email and its been almost 24 hours

Dammit, was hoping the D2 LEs stuck around a while, guess ill have to jump on the strategy version now :(

Atleast I got a 5$ GC thanks to T&E. Also, does NIS have a phone number for orders or something? Trying to change my delivery address before shipping, but no reply to my email and its been almost 24 hours
(714) 540-1122

Weird, just asks me to leave a message. I'll just hope my email goes through, I'll still get the game either way, just didnt want it floating around the post office till I get back in town.

Thanks though

Weird, just asks me to leave a message. I'll just hope my email goes through, I'll still get the game either way, just didnt want it floating around the post office till I get back in town.

Thanks though
I would think you will be ok since they sent out an email saying as long as you emailed them by July 12th, they could make any changes. Good Luck tho =\

Yeah I saw that, I sent like 3 emails lol, and left my order number and phone number on the answering machine.

Thanks though, I should have sent sooner but I had been busy with some stuff.

Sweet it updated, thanks all. Gonna be a hell of a week for us (Dynasty Warriors 8, SMTIV, and T&E)

No kidding. Last night, I ordered:

Tales of Xillia (canceled one of my collector's editions, and will probably cancel the other)

Final Fantasy X&X-2

Rune Factory 4 (no pre-order bonus)

SMT4 (partially cause of first print + FE promo)

Project Diva 4 (no pre-order bonus)

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (no pre-order bonus?)

Disgaea 2 (guide edition)

And this is with Witch and the Hundred Knights preordered since May 24, 2012, and Time and Eternity NIS edition.

Also undecided about Dragon's Crown, as well as Killer is Dead. And I wouldn't know if I'd rather have Dragon's Crown for the Vita that I don't own yet.
I'm skipping everything that doesn't have an LE/first print LE. The only exception to that is Dragon Crown. That is only because I have it pre-ordered at $38 and it has the artbook. Everything else will drop and there is no danger of missing out on a special edition or not being able to find one that is undamaged. It's the only way to get through these tough times ahead. XD lol
Right, that's about how I feel. Killer is Dead and Dragon's Crown weren't on my radar for a launch purchase until they added first run bonuses! Now I'm thinking about it, still undecided. Tales of Xillia and The Witch and the Hundred Knights were day one purchases because I've been anticipating them for so long.

Now tons of other titles are having day one artbook/etc LE editions I'm having a CAG battle with myself. I may wait on Tales of Symphonia HD on release now, unless it comes with day one LE edition physical bonuses, then I'm back in!

KH 1.5 HD, FFX HD, Disgaea were some more I wasn't thinking of getting on release, but now I'm considering them. So much good stuff coming out I can't handle it.

Anyone who liked Star Ocean 4 has no opinion that's worth listening to.

It features:

A battle system that's interesting at first until you realize the grindy hell you're about to go through.

The worst characters in a RPG, ever.

The worst voice acting in a RPG, ever.

If you're still interested, you have no one to blame but yourself for the monstrosity you are about to unleash upon your soul. May the gods have mercy upon you.
Even the game's slurry of bad reviews usually praised the combat system. It is generally considered to be extremely good. Your half assed attempt to pooh-pooh that doesn't just make that disappear. Blatant bias and hyperbole has no place in an objective person's reasoning or explanation of something, period. Worst voice acting? Someone hasn't played Chaos Wars (And there are numerous other games with worse). Worst characters? Half the reason they're so bad is that they're just simply tropes. I realize that many games that created the tropes get a pass for being tropes, but you surely see where I'm going here. In an attempt to prove your 'point' you've done nothing but make yourself look like a ragin' kid and lose your credibility.

I didn't want to place an order for D2 until I got my bonus points from T&E but whatever... it's getting low -.-

Not sure why the guide set is way lower than the other... you'd figure they could just pair more and more sets with a guide just to sell more guides. I am hoping someone intelligent at Prima makes it. I loved the DJ Guides for previous NIS games, and getting a hardcover guide is a good sign (hopefully).

And just ignore Dark_Sage, the guy said NNK is for 9 year olds then gave a thumbs up to all the DS Pokemon games. It's all just flame bait.

I have so much random shit for DS that have been sitting sealed on my shelves. Need to get rid of Ghost Trick, Layton, My Japanese Coach, etc... Idk what I was thinking grabbing all this stuff back in the day.

Sorry guys, I forgot all games are objectively good and aimed at 20-something overweight (only slightly!) males. Sorry for interrupting the circlejerk. You may resume sans any thought or actual discussion.

I didn't want to place an order for D2 until I got my bonus points from T&E but whatever... it's getting low -.-

Not sure why the guide set is way lower than the other... you'd figure they could just pair more and more sets with a guide just to sell more guides. I am hoping someone intelligent at Prima makes it. I loved the DJ Guides for previous NIS games, and getting a hardcover guide is a good sign (hopefully).

And just ignore Dark_Sage, the guy said NNK is for 9 year olds then gave a thumbs up to all the DS Pokemon games. It's all just flame bait.

I have so much random shit for DS that have been sitting sealed on my shelves. Need to get rid of Ghost Trick, Layton, My Japanese Coach, etc... Idk what I was thinking grabbing all this stuff back in the day.
I really want to know if the guide bundle is the same package as the other LE with the guide bundled or if it is included in a new package. That may sway me one way or the other.

Yeah, I've never seen Dark_Sage add anything but hyperbole and unabashedly subjective drivel. He then, of course, accuses others of the same thing. You know the guy that cuts you off on the road then flips you off? Yup... lol. Also the unfounded insults and hostility clearly prove that he is the reasonable one here... clearly! I had considered an ignore but then threads could potentially get confusing, and that just sounds even more annoying.

Thanks though
Woops. Sorry. Give this one a try. (714) 540-1185

They're open 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM (PST) Mon - Friday

Damn, either NIS lowered stock to prevent what happened with D4, or people love Disgaea that much.

Glad I went ahead and ordered it

Haha, yeah. :p I left the page open in my browser's tabs, came back 24 hours later and refreshed, saw the RED and IMMEDIATELY got up to get my wallet. :D

Damn, it went down in stock fast! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back