Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat related question: Whenever the XMB on my PS3 appears, it takes quite a while for the icons to load. Is that normal?
Delete installed games and patches you don't use. Also, you can delete the Sony photo viewer and a couple of other ore-installed features. They take up space and I never use them. After clearing as much space as you can, if its still laggy, you can force it to defrag. There's some YouTube vids on it. Do it at your own risk. I did it once and it did help me.

I did notice quite a speed improvement in xmb loading after switching my PS3 to a new hard drive, despite them being rated as the same access speed and holding the same stuff.

PC grognards have taught me that defragging is pointless most of the time on post-IDE hard drives due to the speed improvement, even when it is dealing with a bit of fragmentation.  Though I guess if you've been riding the last few gigabytes of storage pretty hard, fragmentation could get serious.  Hard to properly investigate what's going on with a drive in a closed device.

I did notice quite a speed improvement in xmb loading after switching my PS3 to a new hard drive, despite them being rated as the same access speed and holding the same stuff.

PC grognards have taught me that defragging is pointless most of the time on post-IDE hard drives due to the speed improvement, even when it is dealing with a bit of fragmentation. Though I guess if you've been riding the last few gigabytes of storage pretty hard, fragmentation could get serious. Hard to properly investigate what's going on with a drive in a closed device.
I had half my HDD full of VUDU downloads so there would be no buffering and the other half with games. There was only a few GB free space. Then I hooked up a MoCA wired connection and deleted the movies. Filling your HDD up then deleting half the data results in more than "a bit" of fragmentation.

EQIV is probably the easiest entry point into the series if you don't want to wait.

If you can wait, then yeah pick up the new one instead of the original on DS.

I only ended up playing Behind Her Blue Flame, but it was brilliant! Any of the story / side-story add ons would surely be well worth the time and money. I also chose to skip super hard mode. lol
I just finished the first desert mission in the game. I'm really enjoying it so far though the biggest problem I have with it is that I had to do some grinding and the grinding is really lame. I'm basically becoming an expert of those skirmishes. I really wish they had some side quests to level up and/or gain some extra equipment rather than forcing the player to do the same mission repeatedly - it's boring.

I don't like hard games but I wouldn't call this game hard, I just have to level up more and if I lose it's because of a mistake I made (at least so far) and not because the developers were asshats and decided to throw in some stupid fucking "you lose" bullshit.

I just finished the first desert mission in the game. I'm really enjoying it so far though the biggest problem I have with it is that I had to do some grinding and the grinding is really lame. I'm basically becoming an expert of those skirmishes. I really wish they had some side quests to level up and/or gain some extra equipment rather than forcing the player to do the same mission repeatedly - it's boring.

I don't like hard games but I wouldn't call this game hard, I just have to level up more and if I lose it's because of a mistake I made (at least so far) and not because the developers were asshats and decided to throw in some stupid fucking "you lose" bullshit.
Difficulty-wise, it's a very fair strategy game. Some of the extra missions are hard as fucking balls and require perfect strategy, but most of the main story missions are very doable. They do ramp up a bit towards the end, though!

Bought Vesperia. It must of dropped in price past few weeks because I snagged a copy off Warehouse Deals for $23 shipped.

My Tales Collection is slowly growing. I have Abyss, Graces F, Xillia and Symphonia HD (preordered) and now Vesperia.

Is the anime based on Vesperia any good? It's $17 on Amazon for the Blu/DVD Combo Pack.
anime on games tend to suck but the Vesperia movie wasn't too bad. Its kinda a prequal and seeing baby repede was awesome! =D I actually found the tales of the Abyss anime better though, and Valkyria Chronicles was interesting too

so is this etrian odyssey sorta remake worth getting over the original for a first foray into the series
hmm what remake? I actually dont have the first EO, i was planning on buying it on amazon to have the complete set. Is there a 3ds remake or something coming out?

Difficulty-wise, it's a very fair strategy game. Some of the extra missions are hard as fucking balls and require perfect strategy, but most of the main story missions are very doable. They do ramp up a bit towards the end, though!
I think you guys are talking about Valkyria chronicles right? While i love the game the more i played it the more i realized you just have to know the trick to all the levels and you can just blow through them. Its not really about strategy at all. The right combo of characters lets you run straight into the heaviest of fire and hit that mission sweet spot very easily. Kinda killed my enjoyment of the game and its why i never did a replay.

I need to play 2, i wonder if it fixed that

Yes, it's called Etrian Odyssey Untold : The Millennium Girl. It contains both a remake of the original game with EO4-level graphics as well as a new story mode that has premade characters. It's due out in the US on October 1.
im still tryin to understand if this makes it eo5 w bonus remake of eo1 or if its just going to be some short story mode to give a little extra value to justify full price point

im still tryin to understand if this makes it eo5 w bonus remake of eo1 or if its just going to be some short story mode to give a little extra value to justify full price point
As long as its difficult again, I'll be happy. Felt like the difficulty kind of toned down the further they went in the series. Then again, its pretty easy to break any game in the series when you know the right builds/party setup.

Also, I'd love to see an EO game on the WiiU eventually.

It's a remake of the first game with a more fleshed-out story and set characters with their own personalities (with the ability to also play it with your own created characters instead).

New English trailer for Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUhLrA6Fa1c

Apparently there's going to be over 50 playable characters.

And then here's the first trailer for J-Stars Victory Vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhBTd8_adQ

What type of game is this? Looks interesting.
I haven't seen any concrete descriptions, but my best guess is that it's going to be a fighting game similar to the style of DBZ Budokai. The reason I say this is because the developer behind Brave Soldiers, Dimps, were responsible for developing the Budokai series as well.

has there been any unboxings or reviews for ToX LE/CE?  I wonder if Namco just ends up having the CE being the same as the LE but with the figurine in a separate box.

^ I believe the only difference aside from the figure and artbook is that CE and LE has a different selection of music on the music CD.
No, Namco-Bandai confirmed that the same music CD is in both the CE and LE, despite it being named differently in each ("Music Selection CD" vs. "Music CD", IIRC).

has there been any unboxings or reviews for ToX LE/CE? I wonder if Namco just ends up having the CE being the same as the LE but with the figurine in a separate box.
IGN just put up an unboxing video minutes ago. Here: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/29/unboxing-tales-of-xillias-special-edition

IGN just put up an unboxing video minutes ago. Here: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/29/unboxing-tales-of-xillias-special-edition
Now we just need an unboxing of the limited edition. That CE looks pretty good. The statue isn't really my thing so I definitely wouldn't be buying that version but that hardback art book looks sweet. I'd really like to see the LE version for a good comparison.

You guys know that the CE is still available right?

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/store/namcous/en_US/pd/productID.281920600

edit:
I'm actually a little confused. On Namco's main page they show a different art book for the LE but if you click "learn more" they have a picture there showing the LE has the same art book as the CE.

it doesn't seem that the actual box was sealed, though IGN may have not have received the final retail version - kinda like the "official" (Namco) unboxing for NNK WE.

was somewhat glad to see that the statues are numbered.

edit: only the box containing it is :roll:

Pretty cool figure.  Not that big into collecting them though, so I'll be passing on the CE.  Ordered a copy though to get the LE bonuses.

$100 is not worth it.  Game itself cost $60 + CD Sound Track $10 + Action Figure $20 + Mini Art book $10 = $100 plus taxes & Shipping.  I may buy the game itself whenever it drop down $30-ish ;)

$100 is not worth it. Game itself cost $60 + CD Sound Track $10 + Action Figure $20 + Mini Art book $10 = $100 plus taxes & Shipping. I may buy the game itself whenever it drop down $30-ish ;)
I mentioned waiting for a $10 or $20 price drop earlier and was informed ToG never had many price drops. I'm not sure if it ever hit 30 but ToG is sold out everywhere (to my surprise). They must not do large printings.

Edit: scratch that, sold out everywhere but amazon. 3rd party sellers have it for about 40 there and amazon still has some in stock but at $50...

I mentioned waiting for a $10 or $20 price drop earlier and was informed ToG never had many price drops. I'm not sure if it ever hit 30 but ToG is sold out everywhere (to my surprise). They must not do large printings.

Edit: scratch that, sold out everywhere but amazon. 3rd party sellers have it for about 40 there and amazon still has some in stock but at $50...
I think GS had an actual sale for ToG in one of their weekly ads a few months after release - even threw in the preorder dlc. New copies can be found online for around $40-$45.

GS-exclusive preorder bonus for Hatsune Miku Project Diva F, plus the official release date, August 27:

Miku%20Preorder.jpg

Source: http://www.psu.com/a020321/Hatsune-Miku-Project-Diva-Fs-US-release-date-+-GameStop-exclusive-preorder-bonuses-revealed

I'm glad I already have my copy preordered at GS. ;)

So outside of getting the weirdest looks from my roommates... what is Project Diva F?  I saw a video, seems like Elite Beat Agents with a controller?  I have DJ Max Trilogy, how do the two compare? 

Edit:  And I'd probably be in Day One for Vita if it wasn't for the weird looks this would garner... XD

So outside of getting the weirdest looks from my roommates... what is Project Diva F? I saw a video, seems like Elite Beat Agents with a controller? I have DJ Max Trilogy, how do the two compare?
That's...one way to describe it; it's a bit more active than that, though. If you're willing to risk further looks from your roommates, you can try out the demo that's on PSN now, as it gives a good sense of how the game feels.

Having not played DJ Max Trilogy myself, I can't speak as to whether it's similar.

So outside of getting the weirdest looks from my roommates... what is Project Diva F? I saw a video, seems like Elite Beat Agents with a controller? I have DJ Max Trilogy, how do the two compare?

Edit: And I'd probably be in Day One for Vita if it wasn't for the weird looks this would garner... XD
I guess you can put it that way, but it's just your standard rhythm game with a really interesting background. So interesting that you might find yourself distracted and mess up notes. It's hard to compare it to DJ max, since they play fairly different, but as someone else said, just play the demo to find out if you like it.

Also I don't recall the Vita version being confirmed for the US.

Edit: And I'd probably be in Day One for Vita if it wasn't for the weird looks this would garner... XD
This is the :ps3: version, which has everything from the Vita version plus some bonuses. Sega likely won't bring the Vita version overseas.

Shame, I like this sorta stuff on the Vita, waiting to get DJ Max Technika Tune on sale.  I used to have the PSP games, but my disc reader died in my PSP.  Sold the games for PC version of Trilogy since it had all the songs in it. 

I watched a video of the demo.  My goodness are the backgrounds SUPER distracting!  DJ Max seems to focus more on the nitty, gritty technical aspect with it's guitar hero like gameplay.  Diva looks like Oendan with a controller, totally.  I'll think about it... Thanks for the input. 

Edit: Drifts over to Play-Asia... sees Vita version for sale... HRMMMMM

Shame, I like this sorta stuff on the Vita, waiting to get DJ Max Technika Tune on sale. I used to have the PSP games, but my disc reader died in my PSP. Sold the games for PC version of Trilogy since it had all the songs in it.

I watched a video of the demo. My goodness are the backgrounds SUPER distracting! DJ Max seems to focus more on the nitty, gritty technical aspect with it's guitar hero like gameplay. Diva looks like Oendan with a controller, totally. I'll think about it... Thanks for the input.

Edit: Drifts over to Play-Asia... sees Vita version for sale... HRMMMMM
Keep in mind that the Vita version uses touch inputs and you won't be able to buy / use any DLC.

If you can find a used copy at GS, ToG F is $35 at GS. Or I think roughly that with the PUR bonus. I got my copy for $35 and well I think that's the cheapest it is gonna go for awhile. Maybe in a year it will drop hard, maybe not.

I did get Vesperia for $23 off of Warehouse Deals so if you want to take a chance, go ahead.

ToX looks good but I wish there were a review posted already! This will be my first preorder of the year and I want to make sure it's a good one :bouncy:
Could always check out a JP review, they even have the sequel Tales of Xillia 2.

I thought the other main difference between LE/CE was the $60 version just had a character profiles artbook, while $100 version had more of a full artbook?

ToGf is $34.99 on PSN.

I have both CE and LE ToX ordered.  CE from Best Buy (let's see if they actually ship it) and just in case BB doesn't ship, I have the LE at Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back