Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ToX looks good but I wish there were a review posted already! This will be my first preorder of the year and I want to make sure it's a good one :bouncy:
It's a Tales of game. It's going to be a very high quality JRPG experience. There's not really much to wonder about here. Plus, the game has been out for quite a while in Japan (there's already a sequel, after all) and ToX scored quite nicely there.

Project Diva f/F imo plays much better than DJ Max Technika.  I like jpop and kpop equally (probably kpop more if I have to pick) but the gameplay of technika on the vita just doesn't work for me with the touch input.  (and I have the LE of it so I am certainly am a fan of the series).

I have both f/F and I have fun with both but man, Miku in 3D!   Definitely worth playing on PS3.  

Anyway... hmmmm I guess I will have to preorder 1 copy at GS.  Now, if only Sega bring over Project Mirai 2!

Setup.jpg

Oh dang, wasabi5858, you actually have the controller for it too, AND a Lightning Edition PS3. Very legit, I'm impressed.

Anyway, as someone who has the Platinum on Project Diva f (the Vita one), I have to say that the game is extrememly fun one. Hatsune Miku Project Diva on the PSP was the first rhythm game I ever played because it happened to release while I was in Japan and it looked interesting enough and I've been hooked ever since. Project Diva F represents the best in evolution of the game mechanics. You have the basic Sony button pressing from the original, and the arrow symbols from the 2nd one where you have to press both the arrow AND the corresponding Sony button (so right and circle, or up and triangle, etc.)

Added to this one are the star symbols, where on the Vita you just "scratched" the front screen. For the PS3, you have to move either of the thumbsticks instead in a "scratching" motion. I do have to say....the Vita version was more fun in this regard, it felt more natural, but since the Vita version is not coming over... =/ There's also technical time (where if you don't miss a note in that time you get a point bonus) and a chance time (where you don't lose any "HP" for lack of a better word for any notes missed and you're rewarded with a bigger point bonus if you hit at least the minimum amount of notes).

If that all sounds confusing, don't worry about it, the game does a really good job of easing you into it. Easy mode uses only one button, Normal uses two, and then Hard mode and Extreme mode are where you use all of them, so if you just start out on Easy/Normal, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

As for the music, I've never been one that listened to a lot of the Hatsune Miku songs, but if you at least fairly like J-pop of some kind you'll definitely find the songs good. The selection does represent some of Miku's best at the time of release. And the PS3 version comes with 6 extra songs that the Vita version didn't have, like Senbonzakura and Tell Your World, which was the Google Chrome theme song.

http://youtu.be/PqJNc9KVIZE

http://youtu.be/U0gAwCFHdEA

Anyways, hoped that helped someone make their decision. It's definitely a really fun game, more than the demo conveys (since it only allowed up to Normal mode, which is still boring, imo) so I wanted to explain it a bit better to anyone on the fence.

HAT'S HOT

Tales of Graces f (PlayStation 3)
ESRB Rating: Teen
$39.99
$19.99

Learn More

The bonds of friendship are eternal

The newest entry in one of the most fanatically followed series today, Tales of Graces f redefines the fantasy RPG genre with its blend of anime-inspired graphics, enthralling depth of story and fast paced, strategic battles.

Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
ESRB Rating: Teen
$29.99
$14.99

Learn More

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/store/namcous/DisplayHomePage
i would dive onto abyss if i didnt just score it for free from an amazon fiasco and promo credit bonanza

Man, I was ready to jump on Tales of Graces, and then I see they charge $6.06 for the cheapest shipping; like, really?

Would Amazon or anywhere price match it?

I'm canceling my ToX preorder. I will hold off until the LE version can be had for $40. If the LE is sold off then I will wait for the regular edition to be $20.

why are people cancelling preorders because of a very very very rare price drop
Considering I'm the only one that's said it so far (though I'm sure others have also cancelled), I'm assuming you're talking to me...

Why cancel? Because it's my hard earned money and I like to spen less on the same thing. Does this really need an explanation? It's not like I'm in some huge rush to play the game. If they want me to pay full price then they should put it out on PS4 as I'm going to buy 1 game (watch Dogs) at full price to go with the system. If a tales game was out on it, I'd buy that too.

Does Best Buy have things in-store to show them prices online? I don't have a smartphone. :/

You can have them look it up on their register, every best buy register has internet access and they use it to check these things.

Also here is an unboxing that IGN did for Tales of Xillia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1N1q4_DC1Y[/youtube]

Considering I'm the only one that's said it so far (though I'm sure others have also cancelled), I'm assuming you're talking to me...

Why cancel? Because it's my hard earned money and I like to spen less on the same thing. Does this really need an explanation? It's not like I'm in some huge rush to play the game. If they want me to pay full price then they should put it out on PS4 as I'm going to buy 1 game (watch Dogs) at full price to go with the system. If a tales game was out on it, I'd buy that too.
you are 4th to say it

Well it needs an explanation because why preorder in the first place if that's your outlook? Everybody knows prices drop eventually, the only reason to preorder is usually that you want it right away.

Well it needs an explanation because why preorder in the first place if that's your outlook? Everybody knows prices drop eventually, the only reason to preorder is usually that you want it right away.
I was preordering it for the extras. If the game can later be had for $49 with extras then that's a much better deal. If not then I can just wait for $20 and get the game without extras. People here were saying that the price of Tales of Graces never really came down much and today it did. No reason to worry about preordering it now that we know that the "price stays high" is not true.

think it more perceived value, it happen too me with the CE. it was worth $100 in till the LE had similar items minus a statue, it no longer felt worth it.

Thu ill be still getting  the LE love rpg's,  most tales game keep their value for a while, now their seeing  a price drop it show it can happen again, an will since this is part one of two games,  they rather wait get it cheaper.

also day 1 buy for me since company's like to judge their games based on sales not fans an would hate for them not too keep releasing  them here.

kinda surprised that NB would have a sale on ToGf and ToA3D.  barely saw Graces in stores around release and don't think there was second shipment at most places.  I have seen plenty of ToA at Target and Walmart a few months ago.

Man, that ToX artbook is puny. It's not enough to nix my preorder over though.

I can't wait to see it through, I haven't played one since Vesperia.

You can have them look it up on their register, every best buy register has internet access and they use it to check these things.

Also here is an unboxing that IGN did for Tales of Xillia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1N1q4_DC1Y[/youtube]
what the hells that 'codex of ideologies' book he shows? It looks neat. I dont recall it listed as a preorder bonus

Sorry, but Tales of Graces f came out March 13 2012 for US, then a delayed release August 31 for EU so they got bonus LE, so lucky.

I'm not going to wait another 1 year and 4 months x.x! I've been waiting for ToX for a year already, since before ToX2 was released in JP.

JRPG like Ni No Kuni and Tales of series are my only exceptions to the don't buy at release and wait for price drops rule. Since I'll play them right away, and I (usually) know they are good because they were already released in JP and we had to wait for localization.

Ni No Kuni did hit $40 fairly quickly, and now $20, so I can see why I could wait, but I have my excuses. I want to play it now, I want the physical first run bonuses, I want to support games like these near release so future releases are more common, I have credit/gift cards.

Just my thoughts, think I hyped myself up to play the game too much haha!

Servers shut down though, takes away most of the fun of the game. (And its impossible to platinum now)
You sure about that? Last I checked both games can be platinumed offline, they're just infinitely more difficult to do so. In either case, the platinums are still obtainable.

Ah my bad, could have sworn something required online for 2. Either way its an insane platinum, I gave up even when the games were active. Too damn much grinding

The version of WKC1 that's included with WKC2 is an improved and better version so it's a completely awful decision to play the original instead.

Not to mention WKC is a looooooooong and grueling platinum, and it now has no online mode, so good freakin' luck with that. If you insist on playing one, play the 2nd. Without being able to play online, though, you will basically need to mod your save file to get the platinum. (Yes, it's still 'possible' but the likeliness of someone spending the abhorrent amount of time it would take for an offline plat is honestly next to zero.) It's already not a great game, so it's basically not even worth playing now that the online mode is shut down. :/

Not to mention WKC is a looooooooong and grueling platinum, and it now has no online mode, so good freakin' luck with that. If you insist on playing one, play the 2nd. Without being able to play online, though, you will basically need to mod your save file to get the platinum. (Yes, it's still 'possible' but the likeliness of someone spending the abhorrent amount of time it would take for an offline plat is honestly next to zero.) It's already not a great game, so it's basically not even worth playing now that the online mode is shut down. :/
Makes me wonder what they think of sometimes when they come up with the trophy lists. Some are piss easy, others are actually hard, and theres ones like this that just involve ungodly amounts of grinding/time.

Either way, the story mode in 2 was boring as hell, especially if you played 1 already. You literally backtrack through the same damn areas, then go to new areas, then backtrack through those. By the time I hit online, I was ready to rip my hair out. All of the grinding the story makes you do made me give up nearly instantly when I realized what online required. This is coming from someone who has hundreds of hours in Monster Hunter games and various MMO's lol.

Haven't read much about Dragon's Crown. Is the online going to be friends list only, or can I just pick group with random people?

Can't wait for that, it looks fun as hell.

i ended up bitin on etrian odyssey untold since i had promo credit from the lego marvel glitch so for 30 its worth it to me 

also snap bought smt soul hackers for 9 w gfly coupon which was a massive steal since the game is only a couple months old

GS-exclusive preorder bonus for Hatsune Miku Project Diva F, plus the official release date, August 27:

Miku%20Preorder.jpg

Source: http://www.psu.com/a020321/Hatsune-Miku-Project-Diva-Fs-US-release-date-+-GameStop-exclusive-preorder-bonuses-revealed

I'm glad I already have my copy preordered at GS. ;)
Is this the only pre-order special? Any other retailer have anything in terms of bonuses or discounts? Want to support Sega for taking a chance on this so just need to figure out where to get it.

What's the word on Dargon's Crown? Some critics seem to be spitting some game that it's quite good (and has cross play, but I guess not cross buy?), but kind of strapped for cash with SR4 and M&L:DT  dropping this month and going on vacation. Any reason to believe the print of this will be super limited, is basically what I want to know. With Atlus it always seems to be hit and miss, though if I recall Odin Sphere (another near end-gen game) was tough to find. What do people in this thread, who know much more than I, think? 

Odin Sphere was tough to find?  Didn't it make Greatest Hits?   :?:

Anyway, as for Sega I'd much rather they "took a chance" on bringing over Yakuza 5 and Phantasy Star Online 2.  Since it doesn't look like that's happening, I'm going to support XSeed for bringing over Killer Is Dead.  

PSO 2 would be awesome... Wish they would bring that over, but since PSU was such a hardcore flop, I understand why. (That and the multiplayer was horrible.)

Played PSO on Xbox for months! Was one of my favorite games.

Odin Sphere was tough to find? Didn't it make Greatest Hits? :?:

Anyway, as for Sega I'd much rather they "took a chance" on bringing over Yakuza 5 and Phantasy Star Online 2. Since it doesn't look like that's happening, I'm going to support XSeed for bringing over Killer Is Dead.
Augh! (/charliebrown) I really want PSO2 and Yakuza 5. Come on, there's still the faintest glimmer of hope, last I checked they still haven't made an official announcement.

Odin Sphere was tough to find until the reprint, which was at least 6 months after the initial release. That's Atlus: if they sell through the first printing and see there's still a ton of people looking to buy, they'll reprint . . . but if it doesn't do well enough, good luck finding an unopened copy if you're looking more than a year after release.

Augh! (/charliebrown) I really want PSO2 and Yakuza 5. Come on, there's still the faintest glimmer of hope, last I checked they still haven't made an official announcement.

Odin Sphere was tough to find until the reprint, which was at least 6 months after the initial release. That's Atlus: if they sell through the first printing and see there's still a ton of people looking to buy, they'll reprint . . . but if it doesn't do well enough, good luck finding an unopened copy if you're looking more than a year after release.
Yeah, Odin Sphere was indeed hard to find after a few weeks of release. From what I remember, it was one of the last games on the PS2 and it got some really good reviews, which helped sales.

Any chance of Radiant Historia getting a reprint?
Probably not. The prices aren't that high on eBay yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back