Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish they'd stop making games for Nintendo systems and move them all over to PC/PS3/Vita. I've absolutely no interest in the hardware Nintendo puts out nowadays, but the system gets great games. :(
Yeah, since the wii u is basically at the same level of an eight year old 360, Nintendo should get out of hardware like Sega did and concentrate just on software -- one fewer system to own in order to play all the games.

Yeah...they've got tons of great games, but the Wii U is a gimmicky POS. Same with the dual-screen aspect of the DS systems, IMO. I had one for a while and it always felt like a kids toy to me with the silly little stylus and the tiny, low-quality screens. I had an original Gameboy when it came out...and that was fine for when I was that age...but the 3ds doesn't feel like an adult toy, it feels like it's aimed at the age I was when the GB came out.

Well I personally disagree about the Wii U being gimmicky (the DS too, for that matter).  The Wii's motion controls, sure.  The 3D aspect of the 3DS?  Yup, but since you can turn it off & ignore it completely it really doesn't matter.  But I love the dual screen aspect of both systems, it's a feature that's actually very useful when used correctly.  

At any rate, Nintendo owns Monolith Soft (the Xenoblade dev) so good luck with waiting on their games to appear anywhere else.  ;)

Well I personally disagree about the Wii U being gimmicky (the DS too, for that matter). The Wii's motion controls, sure. The 3D aspect of the 3DS? Yup, but since you can turn it off & ignore it completely it really doesn't matter. But I love the dual screen aspect of both systems, it's a feature that's actually very useful when used correctly.
The 3D aspect does matter. It's expensive, gimmicky technology that increases the cost of each unit. It's why the 3DS retailed for $250 originally before they dropped it in response to the Vita. Without Vita, it would have stayed that high for much longer. Nintendo finally understands this if they're making new ones without 3D technology. But you're right that they won't give up on making hardware unless they absolutely have to - licensing software for their machines is just too profitable.

3DS 3D is a bit gimmicky though it's fun to use at times (I like to use it for cutscenes such as in the Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask it looks excellent). I can't play with it all the time mainly cause I have very sensitive eyes and they start to hurt a little while after using it. The touch screen on the bottom of both the 3DS and DS is awesome though...sometimes it feels weird trying to use the thumbstick or such and use a stylus too but it's decent esp in some games like Etrian Odyssey 4 where you can draw the maps. 

Ugh, hate to see ni no kuni get the ugly red greatest hits case. Hope I can find the non greatest hits version somewhere.
I'm not. It means level 5 had a good selling game...for once.

The GH case, is your mental disorder talking (too many people have OCD with case colors around here) :roll:

The 3D aspect does matter. It's expensive, gimmicky technology that increases the cost of each unit. It's why the 3DS retailed for $250 originally before they dropped it in response to the Vita. Without Vita, it would have stayed that high for much longer. Nintendo finally understands this if they're making new ones without 3D technology. But you're right that they won't give up on making hardware unless they absolutely have to - licensing software for their machines is just too profitable.

1) People suspect it wasn't that the 3DS cost $250 due to the 3D, but cost $250 dollars because thats what people suspected it would cost.

2) The 2DS isn't designed with that in mind, but with children. There were a lot of speculation that points to it was designed to be less breakable, cheaper, easier to hold and like 10 other things that would appeal to younger children. Additionally, several people on CAG liked it for their young ones, but would have got a 3DS for older ones.

Well I personally disagree about the Wii U being gimmicky (the DS too, for that matter). The Wii's motion controls, sure. The 3D aspect of the 3DS? Yup, but since you can turn it off & ignore it completely it really doesn't matter. But I love the dual screen aspect of both systems, it's a feature that's actually very useful when used correctly.

At any rate, Nintendo owns Monolith Soft (the Xenoblade dev) so good luck with waiting on their games to appear anywhere else. ;)
I fully agree and find it funny how many people hype remote play, which is just a more costly and longer distance version of what the Wii U is doing. Or to be more exact, Nintendo copied the idea of the original remote play and blended it with their DS concepts to make a new console.

Haven't seen anyone else mention this since we all got shipping notifications: for anyone who's still waiting on their Class of Heroes Kickstarter physical version, mine arrived today (Indiana) via USPS.  Everything arrived in tip-top shape, plus they threw in a neat little card. 

Good luck to the rest of you who ordered, hope you all get it soon.

Also received Class of Heroes with Certificate of Perspicacity. Arrived in bubble mailer but in good shape.

The GH case, is your mental disorder talking (too many people have OCD with case colors around here) :roll:
Check Gamestop, I found a mint condition steelbook for the used price, if you don't see it ask, I've gotten several steelbooks this way, they charge the same for them.

I paid $60 day one for Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia, no regrets myself so I'd absolutely be all over them at $20 or less.
While I have not played ToX yet (still wrapped until I decide I wanna play it), I will say Ni No Kuni is fantastic. ToX probably is fantastic too because the Tales Series never seems to let down.

For $20, it's a no brainer. Especially Ni No Kuni, that might just be my GOTY.

I just don't like the red cases, simple as that. Why do people's preferences for case colors bother you so much?

I got a Persona 4 Arena for Xbox 360 from Amazon and the case is bulging and is unclipped apart like somebody overstuffed it with books or something. It is factory sealed and the Xbox strip is unbroken though.

Did anybody else's case come like that? Is the game book really thick that it might cause that? I'm afraid to open it and thinking I should maybe exchange it.

I got a Persona 4 Arena for Xbox 360 from Amazon and the case is bulging and is unclipped apart like somebody overstuffed it with books or something. It is factory sealed and the Xbox strip is unbroken though.

Did anybody else's case come like that? Is the game book really thick that it might cause that? I'm afraid to open it and thinking I should maybe exchange it.
The only thing I can think of is that someone stuffed the bonus CD into the case instead of putting it behind it in the wrapping.

I have the PS3 version, but I doubt the manual would cause it.

I have the 360 version too and just checked how big the manual was.  Its actually pretty decent sized... 65 pages, full color.  So if it came loose in shipping it might actually make it bulge.  Especially considering the case for it is one of the thinner ones with the cut outs on either side.

But aren't you covered for an exchange if you open it and it is damaged? Or is Amazon kinda evil with that?

Good luck tho

Well, getting to the subject of deals though, Hometown Story (Harvest Moon) is $35+FS at NewEgg with Promo Code: EMCWXVV235.

Valid until 10/25, seems it just came out today (as of post).

Oh geez.. thx for the link. I'm actually very surprised they are even bringing it over. I thought I read somewhere that Mugen Souls sold very poorly. Maybe that wasn't true? Whatever, not buying it anyway lol

Oh geez.. thx for the link. I'm actually very surprised they are even bringing it over. I thought I read somewhere that Mugen Souls sold very poorly. Maybe that wasn't true? Whatever, not buying it anyway lol
Well, the LE's are still available on the NIS store so it's probably true.

Mugen Souls Z announced. Now with more censorship (as will please most of the people who regularly read this thread).

http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/MugenSoulsZ_announce_20131022pb.pdf
Umm.....yay? I still remember Mugen Souls was one of the few games to not sell through the LEs. I played a bit and it was very average. Will still maybe pick up depends on what time of year it comes. The Witch and the Hundred Nights is really the one i'm looking forward to.

Let's talk about something else: The first 100% Visual Novel console release in the U.S!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-22/aksys-games-adds-hakuoki/stories-of-the-shinsengumi-ps3-game

Aksys is bringing over Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi for :ps3:, which has the following "bonuses" compared to previous incarnations:

Aksys Games notes that the game includes "additional events that add roughly 20 hours of content." Players can also unlock a series of short stories featuring the game's cast in a modern-day Japanese high school. The game will also feature a media gallery, and DLC with art gallery archives and side stories.

Has anyone tried to pre-order Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Collector Edition from Namco Bandai website? I can't get pass the info/payment page.

Anyone get their Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 guide in yet? Mine is set to be delivered tomorrow and I am eager to see how it turned out after all of the delays. 

Definitely getting Ni No Kuni.  I hope they have some non GH version available. 

OMG HAKUOKI!  I just played the psp vers and fell in love with it!  Definitely getting that!  And there's the school stories too! XD

And damn it, the PS3 bundle is better this year than last (well to me, since I didn't want infamous nor uncharted)

Anyone get their Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 guide in yet? Mine is set to be delivered tomorrow and I am eager to see how it turned out after all of the delays.
Based on one Amazon review, it's unclear exactly why it was delayed due to it missing some info (synthesis ingredients, strategies on fighting new enemies, and the gummi ship stuff), but it's serviceable as a walkthrough for both games.

My guide should arrive this afternoon, so I'll see for myself if it's any good.

BTW anyone played Hometown Story....i got my heart stepped on....not liking it much at all...
Am curious to know this as well. Had it preordered, but cancelled it last second. Looked like an interesting concept though.

And has anybody seen this? http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/Neptunia_PP_20131023pb.pdf

I am perplexed and astonished that this is even getting localized (Even an announcement prior to the actual full game remakes for Vita). And I thought the Japanese company who made the Hyperdimension series just established an American branch?

Am curious to know this as well. Had it preordered, but cancelled it last second. Looked like an interesting concept though.

And has anybody seen this? http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/Neptunia_PP_20131023pb.pdf

I am perplexed and astonished that this is even getting localized (Even an announcement prior to the actual full game remakes for Vita). And I thought the Japanese company who made the Hyperdimension series just established an American branch?
Wow I never expected...now announce the remake of the first one NISA!!!! Hometown Story pretty much just throws you into the game without much. It's a really 1 dimensional game....I just played a few days in game...extremely repetitive and it may just be me...but I can barely control my character in the shop itself (horrible controls here!) while in other rooms and outside the shop it controls well. Customers are decently 1 dimensional as well. It just feels cheap and rushed...maybe the stories with the townsfolk will get better as I get farther but it's so painfully dull to play already. If only it had been a little bit more like reccetear would have been awesome.

Let's talk about something else: The first 100% Visual Novel console release in the U.S!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-22/aksys-games-adds-hakuoki/stories-of-the-shinsengumi-ps3-game

Aksys is bringing over Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi for :ps3:, which has the following "bonuses" compared to previous incarnations:
Interesting I have the PSP version of Fleeting Blossom in my backlog. Passed on the 3DS version because it was a remake/port. I might jump on this if it turns out to be the definitive version to play.

Still not sure if this PS3 version is a completely different game. Anyone recommend the 2nd game released in North America on the PSP?

This is like gay romance, right? Or like something involving dating men? I'm not really knowledgeable about this series... but I think I remember reading about it a while back. Is it like dating sim or what?

It's an otome game. Basically, it's just a VN-style game primarily marketed toward girls. So yeah, you're a girl and you have a bunch of dudes you can date.

Much like how tons of girls like games primarily marketed toward men, it's not like you're gonna get shafted on enjoyment if you pick this one up just cuz you're a dude.

anybody see any disgaea 3 vita sales recently? trying to pick up a 2nd copy (sold my first copy a while back, been having the urge to play it again so bad)

I suppose for us CAG's, when we buy a game that is $29.99, we'll need to find and additional $5 to spend on, now that Amazon has made their free shipping at $35.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1001427161

Didn't find anything significant for deals but the following received a drop:

Mugen Souls - $26.98 (Third Party) PS3

http://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Souls-Playstation-3/dp/B0087OY17Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382646963&sr=8-2&keywords=NIS+America

Code of Princess $27.12 - 3DS

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Princess-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B0089X37NW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1382646586&sr=8-7&keywords=atlus+games

Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinesengumi - $17.20 - PSP

http://www.amazon.com/Hakuoki-Warriors-Shinsengumi-Sony-PSP/dp/B00A39IF7I/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1382646852&sr=8-49&keywords=aksys+games

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back