Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great, but it's already too late for Ayesha =/

Although I could see a Ayesha+ version coming out for Vita with both audios which would be nice.
Good idea, because ughh. I don't think I could bring myself to play it without Jp audio lol. Staying away will be hard though. I really want to play this game, but I know it will drive me nuts at the same time.

Reviews are some of the worst of any RPG in a long time. Unless you are an absolute OCD RPG nut, I'd pass.

Haven't played a ton of it yet, but what I did play was pretty bad.

While some people are probably going to hate this comment... I would strongly advise watching anything NISA you buy.

Sure NISA publishes some good games, but they have a long history of bringing over things without questioning if they would sell. The most notable example would be Mugen Souls, which SOMEHOW got a sequel. I mean, VGchartz said this game only sold 120,000 copies worldwide... how on earth did someone justify not only making it, but localizing it?

I agree to an extent. I know sometimes insecure people get their panties in a bunch when this is said, but many NISA games are Japanophile titles. Very animeish. Often taboo with weird little quirks that are more geared toward asian consumers.

Some people think it can be "cute" though. NISA has some good games, but they definitely are pretty niche.

I agree to an extent. I know sometimes insecure people get their panties in a bunch when this is said, but many NISA games are Japanophile titles. Very animeish. Often taboo with weird little quirks that are more geared toward asian consumers.

Some people think it can be "cute" though. NISA has some good games, but they definitely are pretty niche.
It's almost like "japanese niche games" should be in the title of this thread somewhere.

95% of this thread isn't' what the title says it is...
I would say that convincing someone not to buy something and go for another game like it is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. ;) Honestly, I couldn't personally suggest any NIS game that isn't a Disgaea title.

I will say that I am looking heavily into getting Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires (physical copy from UK) from Zavvi. There hasn't been a single sale on that game yet and it's about...$30 there right now.

My Disgaea D2 LE (not with strategy guide) finally shipped yesterday. I ordered it about a week before the release date, so if anyone else's has not shipped yet you may want to follow up with NISA.

Just watched this video for Tales of Symphonia Chronicles HD. Looks amazing. I've never played a Tales game and now I want this. Planning to grab Tales of Xillia for $20 on BF, thoughts on whether I'd be better off waiting to play it until after ToSC?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/[SIZE=6pt]10/23/tales-of-symphonia-chroni[/SIZE]cles-dated-for-north-america/
Tales games are very self contained except for some like Xillia 2 which are sequels. You can play any of them anytime....and would recommend you play Xillia when you get it!

Tales games are very self contained except for some like Xillia 2 which are sequels. You can play any of them anytime....and would recommend you play Xillia when you get it!
True story wise thats true, but gameplay wise it is a different story. Symphonia does have the most dated battle system and will make it hard to play once you try the newer games.

True story wise thats true, but gameplay wise it is a different story. Symphonia does have the most dated battle system and will make it hard to play once you try the newer games.
That's what I was wanting to know, thanks. I'll hold off on playing Xillia, then. :)

Game'play' wise Symphonia will feel dated, but the 'game' has a ton of content and stays more true to what a Tales game should be. Xillia is a stripped down husk when it comes to content and world design. I tell you what, though... that platinum is going to be TOUGH. I've got a perfect file on the 'cube, so I'm not sure that I'll put all that time and effort in to do it again.

Just watched this video for Tales of Symphonia Chronicles HD. Looks amazing. I've never played a Tales game and now I want this. Planning to grab Tales of Xillia for $20 on BF, thoughts on whether I'd be better off waiting to play it until after ToSC?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/[SIZE=6pt]10/23/tales-of-symphonia-chroni[/SIZE]cles-dated-for-north-america/
Tales of Symphonia HD is a pretty mediocre HD port.

They are still using the original 2D UI assets (Just look at how horrible portraits look in Battle. They look the same as the GCN version does emulated in high resolution) and the textures are unchanged and there is no Anti Aliasing.

It just looks mediocre looking and undeserving of the attention the game should get.

At the very least it needs new 2D assets like UI/HUD/Textures.

It better sure as hell run at 60FPS at least like the GCN version did if it's so bare bones.

Amazon has stopped taking preorders on the Tales of Symphonia CE. With that being said, GameStop is still taking online preorders. Just thought I would throw that out there since this is usually an indication that we are getting close to total preorder allocation before they close the flood gates.

Amazon has stopped taking preorders on the Tales of Symphonia CE. With that being said, GameStop is still taking online preorders. Just thought I would throw that out there since this is usually an indication that we are getting close to total preorder allocation before they close the flood gates.
I was surprised when ClubNamco sold out but shocked to see that Amazon sold out as well. I think Amazon is probably taking precautions and a lot of people probably rushed to PO it when they saw ClubNamco sell out.

I want to pre-order Ys Celcete LE from Amazon, but at the checkout stage it says that it's temporarily out of stock. Anyone have a similar experience? Does this mean my pre-order might not be guaranteed?

Game'play' wise Symphonia will feel dated, but the 'game' has a ton of content and stays more true to what a Tales game should be. Xillia is a stripped down husk when it comes to content and world design. I tell you what, though... that platinum is going to be TOUGH. I've got a perfect file on the 'cube, so I'm not sure that I'll put all that time and effort in to do it again.
The plats gonna be murder simple because of 3 playthroughs just for costumes and how supposedly hard the bunny costume is.

I remember NISA having it's DLC on sale during the holidays.

Checked my purchase history and it was the following week.
Oh okay thanks. How about stuff on NISA online store? Do they or any other video game publisher/developer type stores have a sale during this time of the year?

Probably not, but figured I'd ask anybody if anything changed yet as I haven't been keeping track.

Is the Drakengard 3 physical copy still only going to be available through their online store?

Really wish they'd change that

Oh okay thanks. How about stuff on NISA online store? Do they or any other video game publisher/developer type stores have a sale during this time of the year?
I remember there being a sale of some sort on NISA's online store around Christmastime last year, but I also remember not being very impressed by the prices.

I remember there being a sale of some sort on NISA's online store around Christmastime last year, but I also remember not being very impressed by the prices.
It was pretty bad, yeah. Or maybe I'm thinking of the Aksys one. Oh well, it was probably both that I remember sucking.

Probably not, but figured I'd ask anybody if anything changed yet as I haven't been keeping track.

Is the Drakengard 3 physical copy still only going to be available through their online store?

Really wish they'd change that
I've been holding out too, hoping it would pop up elsewhere and it hasn't yet. If it doesn't next week I'm just gonna put in a order thru them directly :(

Reviews are some of the worst of any RPG in a long time. Unless you are an absolute OCD RPG nut, I'd pass.

Haven't played a ton of it yet, but what I did play was pretty bad.
Thanks everyone for their input on the game. I bought a lot of bad JRPG games, some I have managed to find some glimmer of enjoyability..lol..

It's dropped again...but if it goes down to $14.99 I'll give "Time and Eternity" a try.

Anyway, for the amusement of some...for the "Love Plus" fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yrOXFimOgFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S67nTooV0XM

Do Aksys games, NIS, XSeed, etc. have Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales? Feels like I haven't seen a sale from them in awhile.
I'm a little late replying to this, but I recall all of those companies having BF/Holiday deals at one point. Be on the lookout. I know XSeed/Aksys usually do half-off select titles, I don't remember what NISA does.

Anyone else get some questionably sealed games from Amazon? I ordered both PSP Hakuoki games and both came with the crappy reseal looking shrinkwrap. I ordered them from Amazon themselves to avoid any problems from all the reseal seller issues I always read about.

Also, late thanks to the people here who replied to my last message about Persona 4 Arena for 360.

I don't think even Last Rebellion (NISA apologizes) hit $1.49. Are you saying to never buy it?!
There are lots of better JRPGs than Last Rebellion and Time and Eternity.

Don't waste your time on the games that are at the bottom of the barrel.

TIme is precious.

I always look at game play videos before I buy any game.

The videos I saw for Time and Eternity were so bad that I decided I won't be buying it regardless of the price.

I even consider Ar tonelico Qoga to be much better than TIme and Eternity.

The PS3 has many good JRPGs , have you beat them all already?

for a low enough price though if you want to experience a game for yourself that's better than waiting and the chance of it getting rare.

Hell some people even like weird/bad games. I liked okage and thought foto showdown was a acceptable mediocre pokemon clone.

There are lots of better JRPGs than Last Rebellion and Time and Eternity.

Don't waste your time on the games that are at the bottom of the barrel.

TIme is precious.

I always look at game play videos before I buy any game.

The videos I saw for Time and Eternity were so bad that I decided I won't be buying it regardless of the price.

I even consider Ar tonelico Qoga to be much better than TIme and Eternity.

The PS3 has many good JRPGs , have you beat them all already?
Although it can get repetitive, the battle system for Time and Eternity is better than for Ar tonelico Qoga. TAE requires you to pay constant attention during battle and dodge timings are different for every enemy.

After a while for Qoga, all you care about is going to a lvl 3 purge, release song magic, and repeat if need be.

Although it can get repetitive, the battle system for Time and Eternity is better than for Ar tonelico Qoga. TAE requires you to pay constant attention during battle and dodge timings are different for every enemy.

After a while for Qoga, all you care about is going to a lvl 3 purge, release song magic, and repeat if need be.
Your making it sound like you don't have to pay much attention in Qoga.

Neither games are true real time action RPGs but Qoga seems more well done overall.

The animations in TAE are definitely worse and that makes it seem like it was an ultra low budget game rather than a standard low budget game like most niche JRPGs.

Cell shading could have made TAE look a lot better...

That's the point I was trying to make.

Cell shading is a better technique for anime style graphics.
Cell shading can look nice.

I just like that Time and Eternity went for something different. Cell shading is usually just the easy way out of anime style graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back