Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys... it's "cel" shading.
I was thinking of Cell from DBZ (the games which are still better than TAE) when I was typing that so it was a typo.

But it is actually cel shading.

Cel shading suits most Japanese style games.

Leaked Gamestop Black Friday Flyer

Wow, I'm getting really addicted to Dragon's Crown, it is fun. The "Continue Game" option to boost rewards got me, must get better loot! :)

I fully recommend picking this up on Black Friday at any store or Amazon, as I'm sure everyone will price match or beat with Lightning Deals.

Haha, cool. I've been kind of holding out on Dragon's Crown and I'm not sure why, but I think $30 is my sweet spot! :3

I'll grab Xiliia & Virtual On. All these sales means I won't be getting a PS4 at launch though I doubt I could get one anyway since I didn't preorder.

Incoming discount deals from NewEgg again...Good until 11/7, and yes, these are pre-orders for...

Lightning Returns (PS3/360): $55/FS with promo code EMCWWXW96

Demon Gaze (Vita): $35/FS with promo code EMCWWXW97

Am curious to know this as well. Had it preordered, but cancelled it last second. Looked like an interesting concept though.

And has anybody seen this? http://nisamerica.com/pressreleases/Neptunia_PP_20131023pb.pdf

I am perplexed and astonished that this is even getting localized (Even an announcement prior to the actual full game remakes for Vita). And I thought the Japanese company who made the Hyperdimension series just established an American branch?
Much more appealing that Project Diva F. I am so fing sick of Miku Hatsune. The amount of merchandise and hype is way beyond annoying. Most of the Vocaloid designs are rather mediocre.

I'll grab Xiliia & Virtual On. All these sales means I won't be getting a PS4 at launch though I doubt I could get one anyway since I didn't preorder.
We need more niche games.

I was looking at some games that might never make it here.

The PS4 isn't going to have a good selection of niche games for a while.

Has anyone received their Disgaea D2 guide from the NISA bundle? I completely forgot about it and the tracking number they sent shows that there's no record of the item. 

Has anyone received their Disgaea D2 guide from the NISA bundle? I completely forgot about it and the tracking number they sent shows that there's no record of the item.
I've had mine for a couple of weeks. My guide was shipped by media mail so it might take longer to reach you depending on where you live. It's also the reason the tracking number doesn't work. I checked the USPS site and it says they deliver media mail in 2 to 8 days. Nothing from NISA, but I've had media mail take over a month to reach me.

I've had mine for a while as well(in Michigan), I'm bummed I got the dull print out of the possible three. The box is exactly the size of the guide, I love the way nisa packs those things.

I got mine 2 weeks ago as well (In Ohio), lucked out and got the print I wanted most as well (The one with all the ladies :D)

Maybe yours got put on the second shipment? I remember seeing someone post about NIS emailing them saying their shipment wouldnt be fufilled till later in october

Had mine for a while now. The reason the tracking number doesn't work is because they weren't scanned. I contacted NISA and that is what they told me.

Also, my Guided Fate Paradox LE shipped a day or two ago.

When it comes to Demon Gaze, I don't know how difficult it is compared to Class of Heroes 2 or Etrian Odyssey games or how fast it plays, etc., but what I can tell you is that even though NIS is handling things, there are no DLC shenanigans.

The only reason I haven't preordered it is because I don't know enough about it.

That said, Etrian Odyssey Untold is going for $33.70 at Amazon right now (of course, FSSS is $35 now so keep that in mind) and it looks like it will go a little lower than that.

I've had mine for a while as well(in Michigan), I'm bummed I got the dull print out of the possible three. The box is exactly the size of the guide, I love the way nisa packs those things.

I got mine 2 weeks ago as well (In Ohio), lucked out and got the print I wanted most as well (The one with all the ladies :D)

Maybe yours got put on the second shipment? I remember seeing someone post about NIS emailing them saying their shipment wouldnt be fufilled till later in october

Had mine for a while now. The reason the tracking number doesn't work is because they weren't scanned. I contacted NISA and that is what they told me.

Also, my Guided Fate Paradox LE shipped a day or two ago.

Hm... that is worrying. Mine was "shipped" on October 15th so I figure that it should have arrived by now.

Got my Guided Fate Paradox LE yesterday, pretty good game from what I've played so far. The story bits could use a bit more brevity though. The LE itself is really well done too and the extras come in resealable bags.

Do I need to play FF XIII X-2 to get Lightening Returns? Also is Lightening Returns an Action RPG or does it use a similar system to FF XIII? Deciding if I should throw up a preorder with the Newegg deal.

Waiting on my Guided Fate Paradox LE. Does the game have a loot system like a rougelike (like Diablo)? Been hearing it plays almost like a roguelike so I am curious.

Hey saw you guys mention Virtual On is region free/english and I'm in Japan and I decided to buy it. Can anyone tell me the difference between http://tinyurl.com/kkjlhhz and http://tinyurl.com/kuugnlo. (Links had jpn characters so they were really long). The first link is 2200 yen which is about $22 so not too bad for me. Is the 2nd just the same game but limited edition? The original print cover is here - http://tinyurl.com/n2aa4pq. It is only a couple hundred yen more. I'll get that if its the same as the platinum version.

Hey saw you guys mention Virtual On is region free/english and I'm in Japan and I decided to buy it. Can anyone tell me the difference between http://tinyurl.com/kkjlhhz and http://tinyurl.com/kuugnlo. (Links had jpn characters so they were really long). The first link is 2200 yen which is about $22 so not too bad for me. Is the 2nd just the same game but limited edition? The original print cover is here - http://tinyurl.com/n2aa4pq. It is only a couple hundred yen more. I'll get that if its the same as the platinum version.
The second link is a limited edition of the game. This is what google translate says it includes:

Limited Edition contents
jacket drawn, Hajime Katoki
"Cyber ​​Troopers Virtual On Official Sound Data 4 × 6"
"Cyber ​​Troopers Virtual On Chronicle 15" (maybe a statue?)

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi - PlayStation 3 is up for Pre-Order on Amazon. Projected Release Date is April 28, 2014. Cost $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/Hakuoki-Stories-Shinsengumi-PlayStation-3/dp/B00G6CLZPA/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1383583573&sr=1-3&keywords=hakuoki
I was thinking of getting the 3DS version, but this looks like the complete version...decent price too so i'm sure I'll get it around release depending on the releases at the time.

Do I need to play FF XIII X-2 to get Lightening Returns? Also is Lightening Returns an Action RPG or does it use a similar system to FF XIII? Deciding if I should throw up a preorder with the Newegg deal.

Waiting on my Guided Fate Paradox LE. Does the game have a loot system like a rougelike (like Diablo)? Been hearing it plays almost like a roguelike so I am curious.
It depends on how much you care about story. While many people think the FFXIII storyline is hard to follow, if you played both XIII and XIII-2 and read through the lore provided by the game / paid attention to cutscenes then the story made plenty of sense. In my opinion I would recommend playing through XIII-2 since they improved the battle system a bit and made changes so that people who had problems with FFXIII would like the sequel more. It's a solid fun game and the ending will lead up to Lightning Returns which I think is pretty crucial. I mean you could easily wikipedia the game and read through the plot / events if you don't want to play a 30-60 hour game (depending on if you do side quests).

FFXIII-2 is pretty cheap now and you can find it for like $10-20. You also have about 3ish months or so to beat the game before Lightning Returns comes out. If you want the full trilogy experience I would recommend playing it. If you don't really care too much about it then I would forgo playing it and just read up on the story and watch youtube clips for the ending.

I played Lightning Returns at PAX Prime this year and I would say the battle system is similar to FFXIII-2. There is a DLC that you can buy for FFXIII-2 (it's an extended ending of sorts) that is pretty similar to the battle system in Lightning Returns. I wouldn't completely label it as an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts. You can move Lightning around during the battle but she doesn't move very fast so don't expect to be dodging attacks that way. Instead you can block / counter using certain button combinations on the controller; I don't remember if it had to do with triggers but I remember there was a specific block button or ability. The battle system changed where there are four moves per role (one for each face button). You can mix up and vary the moves by using different combinations of the face buttons. There is still a gauge to determine how many moves you can do in a set but the game changes from the previous iterations by only focusing on Lightning. Instead of having a party, Lightning is the only member. This means you have to focus on switching roles or "dress spheres" to create combos and stagger. The big change here is that you can be constantly attacking if you time your role changes correctly. This is what the developers mean by calling Lightning Returns more action oriented.

Many critics are praising the changes to Lightning Returns though. I've always been a huge fan of the XIII series so I am getting this at launch. From what I played I thought it was a lot of fun. If you enjoyed XIII and I can see you are considering XIII-2, I would think you are heavily considering Lightning Returns. I'm sure it will be a solid game much like previous iterations in the series. With all that being said, the XIII series isn't for everyone. This is made evident by the huge outcry of many hardcore FF fans. In any case, if you enjoyed any game in the XIII series I would say you would enjoy Lightning Returns as well. I hope that helps!

That was the biggest problem of XIII's story with the game expecting you to read though the glossary just to get a understanding of the story.That's just lazy writing,the other games in the series do start in medias res,but they do a way better job with weaving exposition into narrative.

I'd only call Diablo on hardcore mode "roguelike". Yeah, GFP is kind of roguelike, and there is lots of loot. You are supposed to use it until it breaks, which will create a panel that increases stats that you put on a large board to make yourself stronger. If you "die" in a dungeon, you are kicked out. Regardless, your level is reset each time you leave, but your base stats grow the more "total levels" you have, so it is still worth it to gain exp in dungeons, since it makes you stronger in the long run.

Do you think they will do a CE of Lightning Returns like FF13-2.

I remember getting the CE and the Crsytal Edition from overseas.

Seems everywhere is getting a Steelbook for Lightning Returns.

If this is true I will be happy. Love Steel's especially when they come with the game at no extra price or without a huge Statue since my cave is running out of space.

The battle system is nothing alike. Sure some classes and abilities might transfer over in name, but it looks like you play dress up and press action buttons in a 3D plane to me. And you're down to a 1 character party (as if 2 from XIII-2 wasn't bad enough). Still, it should be miles better than FFXII.

Also, XIII-2 didn't actually tell a full story. It took a complete story, broke it so it could insert itself, then added some time travel filler, and broke it some more leaving it incomplete.

The gameplay videos I've seen of Lightning Returns look great, but it just doesn't scream Final Fantasy to me yet. I want to play it to complete the "Trilogy" though.

Honestly, I'm more psyched for Drakenguard 3! :)

Just heard back from NISA and they're sending me a replacement D2 guide. 

They said my guide wasn't scanned during pick up and was likely lost. I find it hard to believe that all the way from CA to IL, it wasn't scanned once. I wanna say it probably wasn't even shipped due to some error. 

Just heard back from NISA and they're sending me a replacement D2 guide.

They said my guide wasn't scanned during pick up and was likely lost. I find it hard to believe that all the way from CA to IL, it wasn't scanned once. I wanna say it probably wasn't even shipped due to some error.
You would be surprised. I had a package go from Sinapore to MI without being scanned once between.

If this is true I will be happy. Love Steel's especially when they come with the game at no extra price or without a huge Statue since my cave is running out of space.
US won't be getting the Steelbook. Similar to XIII-2, you will have to import / buy the steelbook from eBay if you want it.

Killer is Dead is 39.99 from Amazon on both platforms, if I order now, would I still get the first print goodies or is a new game only print out now? Would it just  be wiser to hold out for a black friday deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back