Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandai Namco should get on the Hatsune Miku rip-off train.  Tekken X Street Fighter as a dancing game would be a move that would definitely be considered unexpected.

not sure if this is legit, but these sellers on amazon is selling Jojo's Bizarre Adventure-all Star Battle japanese import version?

for $25

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BHAF688/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1396813103&sr=8-5
Might be dumping stock since it's being released in the US in just a few weeks. Which reminds me I need to get my preorder in at Namco's website. Not sure it's worth double dipping for trophies although $25 is pretty tempting. It's been around $30 for a while at various outlets.

Dat Makoto.

Imported it a while back, very fun, even if you don't know much Japanese.

Would love if it were ever brought out west to consoles.
Takane and Miki are my favorites. :lol:

Same, imported it last year. The great thing about #2 is that there is a very well thought out guide, with all the responses and tips, out for it. I'm all in for Idolm@ster coming to the West on Consoles. :D

Anyone know of a place I can find Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest V on the cheap side?
Cheapest I have seen them is at Gamestop used for low 20s. Otherwise they are pretty steep, DQV more so than CT last I checked tho. I've been wanting to get a complete copy of Dragon Quest V too. I don't mind used but I don't want to pay the crazy ebay prices. I'm pretty picky on condition tho, so my luck hasn't been great finding a decent copy at GS.

Good Luck tho!

I thought DQ V got a reprint? I guess those are all gone now. And I remember Chrono Trigger being around $20 for ages. It's crazy that these are actually going up in value now.

Anyone know of a place I can find Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest V on the cheap side?
Come into the back of my closet....many gaming bargains to see!! I think I remember Chrono Trigger going for 20 dollars new (I got a 10 dollar new copy from an old S-E sale and from AWD one for about 15ish like new). AWD is probably your best friend there though. DQV.....that's harder and you may have to pay decent money for it. I got mine from gamestop around 3-4 years ago during a buy 2 get 1 and it was around 15 at the time. Too bad you will never be guaranteed a complete copy there, but was just happy to get it cheap.

Good luck....classic S-E makes me smile.

Thanks, everyone! 

I managed to find a complete copy of DQV for $35. As for Chrono Trigger, it seems a local GS actually has a used copy in stock. Luckily I have all the contents and am just missing the game so I'll be able to nab it for around $17. 

Found a copy of White Knight Chronicles 2 brand new at Wal-mart for $19.99 (could be even less since I didn't bother to have a CSR scan it). This has been on my wish list for long time now, and I never played part 1 so I'm wondering if this is a good deal? Seems most places that still offer it new it's $35 or more.

more like amazon whenever deals.  you'll never know what or when stuff will pop up on there.  you can get lucky though as alot of the ln stuff is sealed and doesn't even have a mark on it.

as for white knight chronicles 2 seems like a good flip to me.

Hyperdimension Neptunia PP is also called Kami Jigen Idol Neptune PP in japan right?

if so i found some actual in game walkthrough video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc28rlkZwcs

preoder listing for it is up on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperdimension-Neptunia-PP-PlayStation-Vita/dp/B00JC5Y2L2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396811769&sr=8-5&keywords=Idol+Neptune+PP
Hrm, I was thinking this was another rhythm game like that Hatsune Miku PS3 game but judging by that video it doesn't look like that's the case. Am I right? I may have written it off too quickly...

Found a copy of White Knight Chronicles 2 brand new at Wal-mart for $19.99 (could be even less since I didn't bother to have a CSR scan it). This has been on my wish list for long time now, and I never played part 1 so I'm wondering if this is a good deal? Seems most places that still offer it new it's $35 or more.
heh... I didn't realize the game went up in price after the servers were shut down and the main reason to play it was gone :p

looking around it seems to be a decent price for now, I originally picked it up for $8 i think, but that ship long sailed... when the servers went down I thought about selling a copy but it was only worth like $5 at that time.

Also unless you want new for the sake of having new I would just go the used route. A used copy is no different from a new copy (since the online pass doesn't matter with no online servers) and it's not like at this point any more of a new copies money will go to the makers than a used copy will :p

heh... I didn't realize the game went up in price after the servers were shut down and the main reason to play it was gone :p

looking around it seems to be a decent price for now, I originally picked it up for $8 i think, but that ship long sailed... when the servers went down I thought about selling a copy but it was only worth like $5 at that time.

Also unless you want new for the sake of having new I would just go the used route. A used copy is no different from a new copy (since the online pass doesn't matter with no online servers) and it's not like at this point any more of a new copies money will go to the makers than a used copy will :p
Thanks for the info! I only wanted a new copy in case something was missing used. But if you say there is nothing (other than the online pass) to miss out on, I guess I'll hunt down a used copy. Thanks! :)

Hrm, I was thinking this was another rhythm game like that Hatsune Miku PS3 game but judging by that video it doesn't look like that's the case. Am I right? I may have written it off too quickly...
It's more of an Idol Simulation Game than Hatsune Miku, more in the vein of IdolM@ster but less rhythm mechanics.

Gameplay Descrption

The goal of Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection is to get fans. You can send Neptune and the CPUs out by picking the "business" option from the main menu. There are events, media shows, and other publicity stunts you can do to promote the Neptunia idol troupe. If you want to give the CPUs a break you can select "off" which also lets you see scenes of the idols talking. Pick "lesson" and you can increase the girl’s stats. You can also select "move" to relocate your office to get fans in other regions.

When it’s time to perform you can select live mode. The CPUs will take the stage to sing and dance. You can pick costumes for the CPUs. The CPUs that perform can increase their share in the region their act is in. There are times when monsters like the Dogoo will come on stage too in Unlimited Live events.

It's more of an Idol Simulation Game than Hatsune Miku, more in the vein of IdolM@ster but less rhythm mechanics.

Gameplay Descrption
Thanks - that helps. Hrm, now I'm thinking I may go ahead & pick it up - especially since I have all 3 HN games on the PS3. Still not completely sold on that CE tho - a soundtrack would have done it, but I'd never use the earbuds because they're a collector's item.

The full White Knight Chronicles 1 game is included with WKC2 on disc, no codes. It's actually updated/remastered.

Laat chance for some NISA exclusive LEs!

Neptunia PP: <50% left
Mugen Souls Z: <25% left
Mugen Souls: <25% left (still, but probably not for long)
Demon Gaze: <25% left
some reason i think Demon gaze will be one of these games that crashes and burns and down to 20 within a few months. I wait

Are any of these games any good? I recently got a PS3 and am looking for interesting games to play.

Are any of these games any good? I recently got a PS3 and am looking for interesting games to play.
If you just got a PS3 and are looking for exclusives, then you could do better. Tales of Xillia and Tales of Graces F are among the best of the bunch. Ni No Kuni is also quite good--though it has far more problems than many people tend to point out. The Atelier series is also quite good, BUT those are NOT for everyone. Look up some footage and checkout some reviews. I find them charming and really enjoyable--despite the pervy, blushy, japanese BS.

Obviously there are others, but the Tales games and Ni No Kuni should definitely be at the top of the list--strictly speaking about exclusives.

If you just got a PS3 and are looking for exclusives, then you could do better. Tales of Xillia and Tales of Graces F are among the best of the bunch. Ni No Kuni is also quite good--though it has far more problems than many people tend to point out. The Atelier series is also quite good, BUT those are NOT for everyone. Look up some footage and checkout some reviews. I find them charming and really enjoyable--despite the pervy, blushy, japanese BS.

Obviously there are others, but the Tales games and Ni No Kuni shoudl definitely be at the top of the list--strictly speaking about exclusives.
Thanks for the response. I guess I should have prefaced my initial post by saying that I did get both Graces F and Xillia (the latter of which I am playing through at the moment). Also got Dragon's Crown, Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma and One Piece Pirate Warriors 2. I'm looking for other JRPGs that might be "diamond in the rough" kind of stuff, one reason why I ventured into this thread to view some of the replies.

Other games I'm looking into are The Guided Fate Paradox, Ar tonelico Qoga (though I haven't played the first two games in the series, so might pass on this) and Valkyria Chronicles. I looked into the Atelier series and as you said, I don't think they'll be for me, but I'll definitely try them out at some point in the future when I have nothing else to play.

Obviously there are others, but the Tales games and Ni No Kuni shoudl definitely be at the top of the list--strictly speaking about exclusives.
The Atelier games are pretty tame with their content. The Neptunia games are the ones that really push the stupid pervy shit(like with the cringe worthy pedo character from the second game).

Thanks for the response. I guess I should have prefaced my initial post by saying that I did get both Graces F and Xillia (the latter of which I am playing through at the moment). Also got Dragon's Crown, Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma and One Piece Pirate Warriors 2. I'm looking for other JRPGs that might be "diamond in the rough" kind of stuff, one reason why I ventured into this thread to view some of the replies.

Other games I'm looking into are The Guided Fate Paradox, Ar tonelico Qoga (though I haven't played the first two games in the series, so might pass on this) and Valkyria Chronicles. I looked into the Atelier series and as you said, I don't think they'll be for me, but I'll definitely try them out at some point in the future when I have nothing else to play.
If you try the Atelier series, give Totori a try. That is my favorite of the ones that I have played. Valkyria Chronicles is considered a classic by nearly everyone who has played it--the problem is not enough people have. So I would recommend that one for an immediate purchase! If you like rogue-likes, then Guided Fate will be right up your alley. I was really enjoying playing it, but that is a genre that starts to not set well with me when there is so much potential for losing hours of progress. If you dig the genre and have enough patience, then it's certainly charming and fun.

The Atelier games are pretty tame with their content. The Neptunia games are the ones that really push the stupid pervy shit(like with the cringe worthy pedo character from the second game).
They do seem to be far tamer than the Neptunia games. But the Atelier series are still right there at the limit for what I will tolerate lol.

Am I the only one here who is backlogged with "Tales of" games!  Lol...

13707821844_994e84bbb9.jpg

Anyway, received my "Tales of the Abyss" and "Tales of Graces f" order from Digital River today from the Namco sale....no problems whatsoever.  Packed in an oversized box, got here quickly, no horror stories....

Am I the only one here who is backlogged with "Tales of" games! Lol...

Anyway, received my "Tales of the Abyss" and "Tales of Graces f" order from Digital River today from the Namco sale....no problems whatsoever. Packed in an oversized box, got here quickly, no horror stories....
You are in for a very fun 120+ hours :D The first time through a Tales game is so lovely :p lol

Dammit i'm so torn on Mugen Souls Z.....guess I'll get it...dang why didn't it come with an OST...

Am I the only one here who is backlogged with "Tales of" games! Lol...

13707821844_994e84bbb9.jpg

Anyway, received my "Tales of the Abyss" and "Tales of Graces f" order from Digital River today from the Namco sale....no problems whatsoever. Packed in an oversized box, got here quickly, no horror stories....
glad to see another person who didn't have a horror story about digital river. honestly seems like the hate for them is over exaggerated.

as far as tales games go I only just finished xillia and graces this year. both were incredibly meh to me compared to vesperia. They are alright but just not nearly as fun. I like vesperia because it has far more freedom than those 2 do. makes me sad that the ps3 version will never get localized as I would of actually double dipped there.

glad to see another person who didn't have a horror story about digital river. honestly seems like the hate for them is over exaggerated.

as far as tales games go I only just finished xillia and graces this year. both were incredibly meh to me compared to vesperia. They are alright but just not nearly as fun. I like vesperia because it has far more freedom than those 2 do. makes me sad that the ps3 version will never get localized as I would of actually double dipped there.
Tales is my favorite JRPG series, but I was a very harsh critic of Xillia; they made a lot of mistakes with that one that I hope they don't repeat in Zestiria--I have no hope for Xillia 2 being any different. That said, I loved Graces. It may have the illusion of less freedom due to no world map, but it is an enormous game with SO much to do. The extra content in that game past just 'beating' it is quite nearly overwhelming. That was a platinum and a half right there. I tend to judge based on the actual amount of content, not the illusion of freedom that a world map affords you.

for graces it was more freedom in combat. graces has alot to do but the majority of it is tedious farming and grinding.  I also hate the overlimit system graces has as I prefer having control and using it when i want to like in the other games and it takes far too long to fill.  ma's are also just as annoying since you can't pull nearly as many off and even when you get the titles that allow you use of them via combos its still not enough.

dualizing is also a horribly tedious syn system.  It would of been nicer if you could BUY the things you made at the very least after getting enough stamps.

for graces it was more freedom in combat. graces has alot to do but the majority of it is tedious farming and grinding. I also hate the overlimit system graces has as I prefer having control and using it when i want to like in the other games and it takes far too long to fill. ma's are also just as annoying since you can't pull nearly as many off and even when you get the titles that allow you use of them via combos its still not enough.

dualizing is also a horribly tedious syn system. It would of been nicer if you could BUY the things you made at the very least after getting enough stamps.
While I don't feel the same way, that's totally fair enough. Those are definitely more subjective preferences. Any 'alchemy' system in any game is tedious by deisgn--hell, even in the Atelier series, and they're designed around it. I had actually forgotten that about the overlimit system. I honestly could have sworn that you are in control of when you use them--and that you could change whether your AI parterns would use them through their tactics. I felt the MA usage was just fine, but it's possible that my setup in previous Tales games was not really designed to maximize their usage lol.

overlimit fills slowly in graces and once it fills it activates. only thing you could turn off was ally ma's.  incredibly sucky system as you never had it for bosses without grinding first. I think the gauge resets every time you save too. the other issue being that enemies can get 3-6 overlimits in the time you get 1 due to how the gauge is bias and fills faster for enemies.

"Any 'alchemy' system in any game is tedious by deisgn"  

they can be yes but the point I'm calling into question is the worse design choice in graces.  having to run around hoping an item will randomly spawn while walking is bad game design.  To anyone who would start the game fresh and want to do inn requests I'd tell them to use a guide and start making items for them as soon as they are available.  they also need to increase the number held if they wanted to do dualizing trees for some items while others have basically no use.  I wouldn't care about using the crappy eleth mixer if it was reliable or if enemy drops and drop farming locations and discoveries were more numerous, had higher rng and every enemy dropped something useful.  discoveries should of had a warp feature via ship like the farming points in abyss and titles to increase the numbers of items and what items appear.

the eleth mixer steps taken idea would of at least worked a little better if they had included in battle steps to the counter

I hated the OL in Graces too. Xillia was better, but I don't like shared OL in general. The enemy does 10 OL when you get in like 2.

Graces to me was meh. I like Xillia over Graces. I love Abyss. I can play it over and over and never get tired of it.

That Idol Neptunia CE sure is going quick. Even if it's contents are underwhelming to some, it'll be very hard to find. Might order an extra, one to keep sealed and one to open.

Anyone ever order from Hitgaming Video Games from Amazon? I've ordered from them a bunch of times and have always gotten legit factory sealed games. However, I noticed their listings for games on Amazon vary. Some under the 'new' section say "Brand new and factory sealed" and some don't say anything. All the ones I've ever ordered said brand new, factory sealed in the description.

I'm wondering if there is a reason for that. Maybe they just forgot for some of their listings, or if the ones that don't say brand new factory sealed are gutteds or resealed.

I sent an email days ago, but never got a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back