Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
mary sure is fugly.  don't see any point in the new anime.  it'd make more sense if there was a femc that changed the characters around a bit.

Without going into spoilers, can somebody explain to me why they would make a P4TG animation when they already have a complete P4 anime? Is this gonna be a short OVA or something?

On another note, is this seriously what this thread has come to? There are so few deals on Japanese games that we've even started discussing anime just to keep the thread alive?

I think game of thrones tv series needs to be remade, they missed a couple of things from the books. Plus season 1-3 is old and needs to be updated finally!

Sarcasm aside, i think this is more of an addition to the existing main anime series where they are going to focus on Marie Slink. Apparently the bad ending could be cannon also in the anime version. Have to wait and see. 

There's really nothing that indicates that the P4G Animation would be cour-length. I figure the animation is just a few OVAs that include Marie in the story. 

Man, I've been out of the loop for the past week.  Great news about the HDN remake release.  Was kinda expecting this tho, since it seems to me if they'd go as far as to bring the idol game over this would be a no-brainer (different US pub I know, but still).  I picked up the trilogy on PS3 earlier this year - I knew then that this Vita remake existed and that we might get it, but I wanted the PS3 version for my collection anyway so it doesn't bother me.  

I've really gotta start being more selective with which of these niche games I pick up day 1 tho, they're breaking me.  At this point I think these are the ones I really want ASAP:

One Piece: Unlimited World Red (PS3 ver)

Akiba's Trip (PS3)

Danganronpa 2 later this year (probably the inevitable CE)

Probably that Fairy F game that I keep forgetting the full title to ;)

And of course anything Tales, tho I think I'm gonna have to pass on the Xillia 2 CE because 1) money and 2) just can't justify that price tag :whistle2:(

On another note, is this seriously what this thread has come to? There are so few deals on Japanese games that we've even started discussing anime just to keep the thread alive?
The thing is all the best Japanese games sales have been PSN sales and those are covered elsewhere. I still appreciate this thread because it's easy to miss new Japanese game announcements but I can honestly say I haven't bought a single game due to this thread in its entire existence.

where can you even buy fairy fencer f? As that's a title I'm mildly interested in due to the similar look of its gameplay to arc the lad 4.

I'm asking because amazon doesn't sell it from what I can tell.  they only have the jpn version listed. So I'd like to no where it is going to be sold and plan accordingly

I'm asking because amazon doesn't sell it from what I can tell. they only have the jpn version listed. So I'd like to no where it is going to be sold and plan accordingly
The Fall. Atlus made a chart of prospective release dates for a number of games. I'm too lazy to look for it for you.

The thing is, it isn't listed anywhere. So you have to wait for a bit. It's going to be listed at Gamestop and Amazon I presume.

Man, I've been out of the loop for the past week. Great news about the HDN remake release. Was kinda expecting this tho, since it seems to me if they'd go as far as to bring the idol game over this would be a no-brainer (different US pub I know, but still). I picked up the trilogy on PS3 earlier this year - I knew then that this Vita remake existed and that we might get it, but I wanted the PS3 version for my collection anyway so it doesn't bother me.

I've really gotta start being more selective with which of these niche games I pick up day 1 tho, they're breaking me. At this point I think these are the ones I really want ASAP:

One Piece: Unlimited World Red (PS3 ver)

Akiba's Trip (PS3)

Danganronpa 2 later this year (probably the inevitable CE)

Probably that Fairy F game that I keep forgetting the full title to ;)

And of course anything Tales, tho I think I'm gonna have to pass on the Xillia 2 CE because 1) money and 2) just can't justify that price tag :whistle2:(
I feel those same feels. I usually pick up just about everything since there is a few here and there. Now I actually have to be selective of the games to ones I really want or am ready to play. This is why some like Tales of Xillia 2 (need to beat 1), and Mugen Souls Z(also need to beat 1) will get passed on. It's a great year for niche games easily though!

I feel those same feels. I usually pick up just about everything since there is a few here and there. Now I actually have to be selective of the games to ones I really want or am ready to play. This is why some like Tales of Xillia 2 (need to beat 1), and Mugen Souls Z(also need to beat 1) will get passed on. It's a great year for niche games easily though!
Yep. Probably passing on Xillia 2 unless there's a Day 1 edition. considering I haven't played Xillia, Xillia 2 being not as good as Xillia (supposedly), and how fast Xillia dropped in price.

Bought Mugen Souls Z just cause of the NISA CE. Will do the same with Danganronpa 2 if there's a CE, despite my not having played 1.

Iffy about Akiba'sTrip. I want to to play it, but it's not high on my list, and they announced a PS4 version for Japan, which makes the PS3/Vita version less tempting.

Fairy Fencer F is a day 1 for me, no matter what. That was second on my most anticipated list, after Bravely Default. The art alone makes me swoon.

Yep. Probably passing on Xillia 2 unless there's a Day 1 edition. considering I haven't played Xillia, Xillia 2 being not as good as Xillia (supposedly), and how fast Xillia dropped in price.

Bought Mugen Souls Z just cause of the NISA CE. Will do the same with Danganronpa 2 if there's a CE, despite my not having played 1.

Iffy about Akiba'sTrip. I want to to play it, but it's not high on my list, and they announced a PS4 version for Japan, which makes the PS3/Vita version less tempting.

Fairy Fencer F is a day 1 for me, no matter what. That was second on my most anticipated list, after Bravely Default. The art alone makes me swoon.
Huh? Everything I've read says that Xillia 2 is better than Xillia in almost every way, since they didn't rush production on it like they did for the first one.

Huh? Everything I've read says that Xillia 2 is better than Xillia in almost every way, since they didn't rush production on it like they did for the first one.
I know Familtsu is horrible at ratings, but Xillia got a 39, and Xillia 2 got a 35. I also remember reading about it everywhere, including on CAG, I want to say.

I know Familtsu is horrible at ratings, but Xillia got a 39, and Xillia 2 got a 35. I also remember reading about it everywhere, including on CAG, I want to say.
Are you sure about that? I remember hearing that ToX2 has a better story overall compared to ToX1, though the party system isn't as freeing (a limited number allowed when not in towns, IIRC) and Ludger is forced upon the player as the best character EVAR.

At the very least, I don't recall a consensus that the sequel was worse than the original. :???:

it does some things better some things worse.  has the usual extras and staples other tales games had though.  i think the main issues were ludger, party make up and removing party swap when it could of been even better in the 2nd with 3 more characters. the story for xillia was highly spoken of before it was released and now look at it.  you can bet money the same will be said of 2.

I would rec skipping xillia 1 simply because it will be boring to play it and then play the sequel.

I would rec skipping xillia 1 simply because it will be boring to play it and then play the sequel.
But then you won't get as much enjoyment out of seeing the returning characters in ToX2 (well, at least I wouldn't). I agree that you shouldn't play them one immediately after the other, but completely skipping ToX1 for that reason does it a disservice.

But then you won't get as much enjoyment out of seeing the returning characters in ToX2 (well, at least I wouldn't). I agree that you shouldn't play them one immediately after the other, but completely skipping ToX1 for that reason does it a disservice.
by not playing the first you wont care that these returning characters some of which are unlikable are returning in a diminished capacity besides milla. the returning characters aren't that important due to the shift to the new 2 and the story revolving entirely around ludger trying to save elle. besides you'd be better off for it since most of the returning characters are not important or unlikable. The main reason not to play the first though is that xillias gameplay is mediocre and since 2 is just a slightly improved version you'd easily become bored playing both.

edzo I'd say its split down the middle. while they added more stuff for the other party members making them a bit more fun to play as they added some big new problems like ludger being forced in the party. and all the reused assets didn't do much to damper this. It did see the return of staples though like cameo battles and also had a handful of in game costumes. It also allows you to carry over the costumes you do have in the first game though that doesn't do much good.

I could nitpick Xillia in comparison to Graces & Vesperia perhaps, but at the end of the day it was a fantastic game & I'm very much looking forward to the second one.  I certainly wasn't "bored" of it at any point.  

I was a very harsh critic of Xillia. I love the Tales series, so when they miss, I'll be the first to point it out.

The game had INCREDIBLY lazy and horrible level design; all of the connecting areas were just re-skins with/without a mountain. Essentially all problem solving in the dungeons was removed. There is a severe lack of post game content compared to previous entries. I also found Jude's character development to be very ham fisted. He said that he had changed for this or that reason, whereas in previous Tales games you really would have just seen that for yourself.

Xillia also did some things very well, though. Having a fully controllable camera was cool, and Alvin's character development was brilliant. I'd never call it a 'bad' game--just one with some glaring problems that certainly hold it back. This all has me very cautious for my excitement level for Xillia 2.

I was a very harsh critic of Xillia. I love the Tales series, so when they miss, I'll be the first to point it out. The game had INCREDIBLY lazy and horrible level design; all of the connecting areas were just re-skins with/without a mountain. Essentially all problem solving in the dungeons was removed. There is a severe lack of post game content compared to previous entries. I also found Jude's character development to be very ham fisted. He said that he had changed for this or that reason, whereas in previous Tales games you really would have just seen that for yourself. Xillia also did some things very well, though. Having a fully controllable camera was cool, and Alvin's character development was brilliant. I'd never call it a 'bad' game--just one with some glaring problems that certainly hold it back. This all has me very cautious for my excitement level for Xillia 2.
Alvin was my favorite character in Xillia (and my brother, who watched me play Xillia to 100% completion, said it would have been a far better game if Alvin had been the protagonist), and while I agree with your views on Jude's character development, I still preferred his story/arc to Milla's, which seemed very shoddily constructed compared to Jude's.

I'm still excited for ToX2, mainly because I had WAY more fun with ToX's battle system than with ToGf's. If I had to use a scoring system, I'd rate ToX 4.5/5 and ToGf 4.25/5 (and ToV a 5/5, but I digress :razz:).

Dang, I didn't realize there was such disdain for ToX2. :???:

Mind=Zero, too, for those interested. If Best Buy adds the Vita version of XBlaze (I'd prefer it on that over PS3), I'll have to "take care" of my Gamestop preorder. :whistle2:
I was very surprised to hear this was coming to the US. I almost imported it earlier this year.

I was very surprised to hear this was coming to the US. I almost imported it earlier this year.
I have ToX2 pre-ordered regardless of what anyone has to say. Rarely has someone's negative views on a game swayed me from purchasing it anyways if I already wanted it. Though there are times if someone has a good video or blog about why the game isn't great, I'll take it into consideration.

I have ToX2 pre-ordered regardless of what anyone has to say. Rarely has someone's negative views on a game swayed me from purchasing it anyways if I already wanted it. Though there are times if someone has a good video or blog about why the game isn't great, I'll take it into consideration.
I am the same way; if I have already decided that I'm interested in it, it would take some absolutely HORRIBLE word of mouth for me to change my mind. Once I've experienced the piece, my views are even more entrenched because I tend to treat most things with the eye of a critic--I even catch myself taking notes during games and movies for if I want to talk about them later lol. I drive a lot of my friends crazy with my over analyzing everything. But it feels good to be constantly sharpening your critical muscle--and not just be another "Doyeee that was a fun game and that was a neat-o movie!" lol

I imported Xillia 2 last summer and I can say I had waaay more fun with that than Xillia. I absolutely loved the improved battle system. Only problem for me was the routes for getting the main story.

I guess I'mma hold off on ToX 2 and wait to see if the Collector's Edition drops in price after release. I do want the game, but the CE is so stupid.

So according to neogaf Sega will be releasing remastered Valkyria Chronicles 1-3 for PS4.
No f-in way. Valkyria Trilogy. I'll have to buy this when I get a PS4, if it turns out to be true. Looks like 1 will get a separate release while 2&3 will be a Collection

Details:

-Releasing this summer. 2/3 in fall.
-1 has visual upgrade
-2 and 3's visual is based on 1's visual style
-includes every DLC
- lots of balance adjustment

So according to neogaf Sega will be releasing remastered Valkyria Chronicles 1-3 for PS4.
Awesome but until localization announcement....sad nitro it is. Sega makes me sad when they announce no localizations except Miku (I like Miku but yeah....sad nitro).

Since we never got an official translation and localization of Valkyria Chronicles 3 except from the Fan Translation Group, I am sincerely hoping that this will actually be localized over here. I think it helps a lot that this will actually be on Sony's PlayStation 4, which seems like it is well on its way to a healthy install base for this coming console generation.

The thing that really hurt as far as us never getting a localization of Valkyria Chronicles 3 was the fact that in the United States, PSP software sales were so dismal that few companies actually wanted to make the localization effort. Contrast this to the Japanese market, which has been portable / mobile heavy for gaming for a very long time and you have great gems that somehow never make it over here.

If this is true and we don't get it in the U.S, I will boycott Sega for the rest of my life.
I think our chances are fairly solid. I mean, seriously, Sega has fully translated versions of Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 2. Valkyria Chronicles 3 is the only one that needs a formal, polished translation / localization and surely they can find someone in Sega proper or Atlus to do it.

Since we never got an official translation and localization of Valkyria Chronicles 3 except from the Fan Translation Group, I am sincerely hoping that this will actually be localized over here. I think it helps a lot that this will actually be on Sony's PlayStation 4, which seems like it is well on its way to a healthy install base for this coming console generation.

The thing that really hurt as far as us never getting a localization of Valkyria Chronicles 3 was the fact that in the United States, PSP software sales were so dismal that few companies actually wanted to make the localization effort. Contrast this to the Japanese market, which has been portable / mobile heavy for gaming for a very long time and you have great gems that somehow never make it over here.
but what about the yakuza series?

No f-in way. Valkyria Trilogy. I'll have to buy this when I get a PS4, if it turns out to be true. Looks like 1 will get a separate release while 2&3 will be a Collection

Details:

-Releasing this summer. 2/3 in fall.
-1 has visual upgrade
-2 and 3's visual is based on 1's visual style
-includes every DLC
- lots of balance adjustment
This would make me buy a PS4 way ahead of schedule.

Sounds way too good to be true.

The news for more visual novels is always good, but a VC remaster...come on Sega, it's time to fix that horrible deed and localize all of this (if it's true).  I mean...you like money right?

This was confirmed fake. The 2ch thread that this 'info' was posted in is dead and buried; without a source and merely going by hearsay it didn't amount to anything but false hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back