Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all of those pre-ordered as well. I've sadly (awesomely) had to create a spreadsheet to keep up with all of the releases this year, when they come out, and whether or not I've purchased them.
This has been one of those years with lots and lots of decent releases and/or releases coming out. I will need to do the same too as I'm skipping a good amount cause I don't have enough money to get all the releases I want.

This has been one of those years with lots and lots of decent releases and/or releases coming out. I will need to do the same too as I'm skipping a good amount cause I don't have enough money to get all the releases I want.

I have all of those pre-ordered as well. I've sadly (awesomely) had to create a spreadsheet to keep up with all of the releases this year, when they come out, and whether or not I've purchased them.
Haha, I have a private Amazon wishlist to keep track of the releases as well. Between the US releases and imports, it is an insanely good year for us niche gamers.

Haha, I have a private Amazon wishlist to keep track of the releases as well. Between the US releases and imports, it is an insanely good year for us niche gamers.
So do I. My Amazon wishlist is up to about 40 or so games now with some PS2, Wii, and other older wishlist games. The spreadsheet is up to 12, and the only reason half of those aren't already purchased is I'm waiting to see if they release a LE version.

Its pretty funny how I think many people decided to do a spreadsheet this year only because of the great amount of games coming. Without it I would definitely be forgetting about some of these games that their release date creeps from no where.

One example is Azure Striker Gunvolt. There are some announcement's here and there but no sure release dates and sometimes you accidentely forget it was coming.

Plus it's also good fro limited editions, regular and collector editions

Its pretty funny how I think many people decided to do a spreadsheet this year only because of the great amount of games coming. Without it I would definitely be forgetting about some of these games that their release date creeps from no where.

One example is Azure Striker Gunvolt. There are some announcement's here and there but no sure release dates and sometimes you accidentely forget it was coming.

Plus it's also good fro limited editions, regular and collector editions
Too bad Azure Striker Gunvolt is 3DS eshop only. Also somehow I feel that we will get some more concrete release dates for some games around E3 to drum up some hype (like SAO and some others with vague release dates at the moment). Seems like a lot of people look specifically at gaming news around the E3 time and lots of announcements, release dates and other good stuff are revealed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/23/hyperdimension-neptunia-producing-perfection-review

Whatever, this will still end up being more enjoyable than CoD: Ghosts for me. The LE will also retain it's value and probably triple it's price in a month or so.

I'm just mad that IGN grades everything on a Call Of Duty/Halo/Grand Theft Auto scale and if anything differs from that formula, its automatically bad. They don't realize some games aim for a different set of appeals and ultimately the quality should be graded differently based on varying budgets and the crowd that the game was intended for.

They don't grade it on a scale. They just think the game sucks. As do I. Hyperdimension games are the absolutely worst IMO. Just low quality fanfare for people really obsessed with games that have a strong Japanese style. I'm sure they understand who the game appeals to, but the important part is it doesn't appeal to them, and ultimately they have to grade the game how they like it, not how they think others will like it.

So do I. My Amazon wishlist is up to about 40 or so games now with some PS2, Wii, and other older wishlist games. The spreadsheet is up to 12, and the only reason half of those aren't already purchased is I'm waiting to see if they release a LE version.
yah of my different wishlists, that one is labeled video games and I have over 200 on the list, its a lot easier to keep track of games that way then searching through the website, between their and gs, those are my main go to stops, hoping they announce a limited for heart r and xillia 2, don't want the collectors, akibas isn't going to , and senran is the only other anime type game im getting this year so far

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/23/hyperdimension-neptunia-producing-perfection-review

Whatever, this will still end up being more enjoyable than CoD: Ghosts for me. The LE will also retain it's value and probably triple it's price in a month or so.

I'm just mad that IGN grades everything on a Call Of Duty/Halo/Grand Theft Auto scale and if anything differs from that formula, its automatically bad. They don't realize some games aim for a different set of appeals and ultimately the quality should be graded differently based on varying budgets and the crowd that the game was intended for.
If that were true then why does stuff like Disgaea or the Atelier games get good reviews. People really put too much stock in reviews and they seem to forget it's just someone's opinion. Now the person who reviewed this had some pretty fair reasons for why they didn't enjoy this.

IGN passes most JRPG reviews off to freelancers, so it's pretty much impossible to get a feel for what that reviewer does or does not like.  I don't know if the game is good or bad, but much like the Drakengard 3 review - it's just poorly written.  

I was looking at Hyperdimension: PP strictly due to my collector's OCD of wanting to have every game in each series I choose to collect, but the reviews have me rethinking it.
I don't like J-Pop Idol media in the least. Hatsune Miku doesn't appeal to me, aesthetically. I can't speak toward the gameplay, having never played it. I also hate when there are random "idol" scenes thrown into my JRPGs (ie: Record of Agarest War 2).

I was thinking perhaps I could tolerate the game's theme if it had some form of redeemable gameplay, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Now it's a battle of dignity. Do I give in to my collector's OCD and buy something I, in all likelihood, will never enjoy? Or do I leave my Neptunia series incomplete? Bah.

I don't get why so many of you are getting hung up on IGN's review. The review might not have been written by Shakespeare and maybe you guys don't see it as being a fair review, but overall, the guy didn't like the game. Drakengard 3 has been getting fairly mediocre scores overall so it's not like he's completely off the wall.

I don't think anyone who was interested in Drakengard 3 expected the game to review well and I doubt a good review would have helped the game become a commercial success.

I'm just glad the game got a physical release and look forward to jumping into its weirdness... at some point or another. Stop going to IGN and giving them page views.:p

I was looking at Hyperdimension: PP strictly due to my collector's OCD of wanting to have every game in each series I choose to collect, but the reviews have me rethinking it.
I don't like J-Pop Idol media in the least. Hatsune Miku doesn't appeal to me, aesthetically. I can't speak toward the gameplay, having never played it. I also hate when there are random "idol" scenes thrown into my JRPGs (ie: Record of Agarest War 2).

I was thinking perhaps I could tolerate the game's theme if it had some form of redeemable gameplay, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Now it's a battle of dignity. Do I give in to my collector's OCD and buy something I, in all likelihood, will never enjoy? Or do I leave my Neptunia series incomplete? Bah.
Ha ha, that's a funny predicament, I actually have a completely opposite situation. I've played too many games that are so similar, especially rpgs, shooters, fighters, and driving games. I've lost that whole "hardcore gamer" mentality and really just play games for the story and characters. I guess that's why these obscure jrpgs stand out so much to me. The last time I really enjoyed an AAA title was TLOU. That's why I don't mind if PP's gameplay is subpar, I don't think the developers were aiming at a GOTY, but just a fun little title dedicated to fans of Neptunia, which I think it works pretty well as.

Ha ha, that's a funny predicament, I actually have a completely opposite situation. I've played too many games that are so similar, especially rpgs, shooters, fighters, and driving games. I've lost that whole "hardcore gamer" mentality and really just play games for the story and characters. I guess that's why these obscure jrpgs stand out so much to me. The last time I really enjoyed an AAA title was TLOU. That's why I don't mind if PP's gameplay is subpar, I don't think the developers were aiming at a GOTY, but just a fun little title dedicated to fans of Neptunia, which I think it works pretty well as.
My predicament has nothing to do with story or character and everything to do with finding Japanese "Idol" girls annoying as fuck.

I've no idea what you're referencing the "hardcore gamer" generalization, but from what I can tell, it has nothing in common with anything I've said.

AugustAPC, on 23 May 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

BlackRockWaifu, on 24 May 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:
well I can understand the ocd part, but I went to the review and all the negative comments are from Neptune fans who think anything Neptune is god and cant go wrong, the fact is its a horrible game, if your a fan, then you will buy it regardless so who cares, since the ce is awful, I would save that money for rebirth when it comes this year, at least you will get your moneys worth with the game. I have also gotten tired of to many games that are similar, luckly im not a sony fanboy because all the ps1 and ps2 games were just that, and I agree for the most part the review, having played the demo on my jpn account, it took 10 minutes just to get past the visual novel parts to even see the menu, and when I finally got do to a concert, while a neat concept that's better done with idolmaster and other studios, its mostly fanservice and the fact its only 5 songs is the worst, way to many vn aspects in the game.

No store pickup?
A lot of these niche games don't have in store pick-ups because they probably figure that not many people are going to buy them in store, and that if someone ACTUALLY wants it, they'll just go on the website and order it. It's a better strategy than order copies for a store and just having them sit there not getting sold.

A lot of these niche games don't have in store pick-ups because they probably figure that not many people are going to buy them in store, and that if someone ACTUALLY wants it, they'll just go on the website and order it. It's a better strategy than order copies for a store and just having them sit there not getting sold.
I don't see how paying for shipping it to multiple addresses is better than putting a copy on a truck as part of an already scheduled delivery. I'm not saying order a bunch of extra copies that will sit on shelves but at least deliver ones for people that preorder. Just noticed Xillia 2 is shipping only as well. Kinda feel like gcu isn't as good when I have to worry about damaged games or why they don't change their packaging when so many people complain and then you have to worry about getting blacklisted for too many returns

*shameless plug*

I did my own reviews for both HNPP and Drakengard 3 if you don't mind scoreless reviews:

Hyperdimension Neptunia PP: http://bit.ly/1nk9iRm

Drakengard 3: http://bit.ly/1jRwPp1
I honestly prefer scoreless reviews. It allows people to see what was good/bad in the eyes of the reviewer without having to tie it into a score and then the reader can form an opinion on whether they will like the game or not. Also really good job on the PP review.

I highly doubt Arcana Heart 3 will have HD sprites. It takes a long time to draw HD sprites.

[quote name="PantsuRaid" post="11786121" timestamp="1400955972"]I highly doubt Arcana Heart 3 will have HD sprites. It takes a long time to draw HD sprites.[/quote]

That may be, but I don't think it's too much to ask for at the end of the 7th gen lol.

I haven't played it yet either (tho my copy did arrive today, I just spent the night bouncing between Wolfenstein & FFXIV ;) ). But from what I've seen people say online it seems that a ton of people are only familiar with Nier, not the original Drakengard games. And those games played nothing like Nier - think more Dynasty Warriors melded with RPG elements and a wacked-out story. If that's what I can expect from D3 - and from what I've read, it is - then I'll be happy. :)

That IGN review is very badly written anyway. I'm not saying they're wrong or right, I'm just saying the review tells you very little and reads very badly - it's choppy and has zero flow to it. Feels very amateurish, but since I've never heard of the girl who wrote it I can assume they outsourced it to someone since they couldn't be bothered to give it an in-house review.
Meagan Sullivan has been at IGN for years, but she's a web engineer. She was one of the founding members of the old IGN Girlfight podcast and plays nothing but RPG's.

With Colin Moriarity setting up their coverage of Sony at E3 I imagine it was ask Meagan to do it or it won't get a review at all situation.

Finally, someone who gets me...

Well I guess I'm on the extreme end of the collecting spectrum, since your particular thought never even comes to mind when I collect for completeness sake. A majority of my games will probably still be in sealed condition after I'm dead. So you're basically the only one who can gauge how strong your compulsives urges are...

Are the Hyperdimension Neptunia games worth playing?  I've always been interested but now I'm thinking maybe I should just sell the three LEs I have.

Are the Hyperdimension Neptunia games worth playing? I've always been interested but now I'm thinking maybe I should just sell the three LEs I have.
To be honest with you, if you are starting the three of them now, you probably wouldn't like it. These are very long and repetitive games and it will take you a few months to grind through all three stories. However, I wouldn't sell them if I were you, these three LEs are extremely limited, and have gone up in price pretty well so far. The price is just going to keep rising, especially due to the fact that the LEs won't be produced again, the series has become immensely popular lately with an anime and several new games coming out, accessories and figures. Add this with the fact that the PS3 is a pretty durable system, and will be around for a long while even with the PS4 out, so the demand for these LEs will continue for a while.

To be honest with you, if you are starting the three of them now, you probably wouldn't like it. These are very long and repetitive games and it will take you a few months to grind through all three stories. However, I wouldn't sell them if I were you, these three LEs are extremely limited, and have gone up in price pretty well so far. The price is just going to keep rising, especially due to the fact that the LEs won't be produced again, the series has become immensely popular lately with an anime and several new games coming out, accessories and figures. Add this with the fact that the PS3 is a pretty durable system, and will be around for a long while even with the PS4 out, so the demand for these LEs will continue for a while.
These are all reasons to sell now.

Skip the first one for sure. The writing is funny, but the gameplay is garbage. The other two are pretty decent if a bit grind heavy.
Popular suggestion seems to be to wait for the first Rebirth game to come out on vita later this year. It's the first game redone with Victory's combat system, which is widely regarded as a strong improvement. Especially compared to the original game.

Are the Hyperdimension Neptunia games worth playing? I've always been interested but now I'm thinking maybe I should just sell the three LEs I have.
I'd say sell them if you can get a good price for them. Just make sure you do your research when pricing their sales amount. They're more than likely going to release them all for the PS Vita in the future and from all that I've read, they'll be superior releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back