Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you people not have Reading Rainbow growing up?
You people?!?!

nah i was under the impression the japanese version didnt have english subs cause why would it?

Edit: Im all for playing with the original japanese audio with english subs and menus so unless your telling me SOA Hallow fragment japanese version is just japanese audio with english subs then ill jump right on it and if it doesnt then what you said doesnt make sense

I figure I'm gonna buy a vita eventually. Can the Vita itself be hooked up to a TV like a PSP 2000/3000?

I'd prefer to play my Vita games on the TV, but I want a Vita system too. I also need to buy a PSP... I want a brand new 3000, cause I'm picky like that :\
Both the Vita and Vita slim can not be hooked up to a TV at this time. The first gen has a mystery port which is believed to be video out for a developer. Slim has usb out, and it's physically possible for TV out, but maybe not realistic if nobody develops for it. TV is your best bet, though that version of the vita can't play some of the games (touch related, and probably solvable by a PS4 controller in the future).

Both the Vita and Vita slim can not be hooked up to a TV at this time. The first gen has a mystery port which is believed to be video out for a developer. Slim has usb out, and it's physically possible for TV out, but maybe not realistic if nobody develops for it. TV is your best bet, though that version of the vita can't play some of the games (touch related, and probably solvable by a PS4 controller in the future).
I use an imported Vita TV with a DS4 to play SAO and P4G. In P4G, the touch panel acts as the touch screen. A cursor shows up on the screen that you can drag around.

Not sure if they'll take the time to patch support for the touch control games, but I would assume the layout could be:

Touch panel = Vita touchscreen
L2 and R2 = Back panel, upper left and right
L3 and R3 = Back panel, lower left and right

Lame. I was also having trouble deciding between the Vita slim and OG model. Comfort vs Graphics.

I think I'mma go with the Slim when I get one. I feel the improved playability is worth the slightly washed out colors.

At the moment, PSP and Vita games are the only modern games I can't play. I hope to grab them both soon, but god damn, it's about to rain games on our asses.

The first gen vita supposedly already included the upscaler to support 1080i, so I wish Sony hadn't scrapped that in favor of vita TV (yet another device to buy which is lacking unless it becomes 100% game compatible).

I like how Tales of Heart R went from "never getting localized" to the one vita game Sony mentioned during their conference.
It wasn't the only one mentioned at the time...I think Tales of Borderlands was as well (at the same time)....oh Vita...I'm supporting you baby!

A lot of great stuff coming out for the vita this year.
This year is pretty loaded...next year....who knows I hope Sony doesn't forget the Vita in the long haul (I mean for original games....I really don't care about remote play) and I hope with the TV release it gets a higher priority for future original releases. At least it's being embraced as a niche machine and has some cool indies which I really enjoy on the go. Such a double edged sword the Vita is imho.

is there any reason why Persona Q is $50 for the standard edition? At least with SMT 4 it came with a guide and cd.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVRK3EU/?tag=viglink129408-20
Atlus is charging a lot for these new Persona games. I mean I don't think Ultimax is worth 60 dollars either...should have been 40-50 imho. I feel Persona Dancing All Night could possibly be 50....who knows....They know a cash cow and know big time fans will pay more for them.

the vita can be modded to support video out. Though the process is expensive. I just wish that Sony would update the vita ui to work better with tvs. Right now its kind of ugly

i think bestbuy just delisted tales of xilla 2 collectors edition from the website.

They are making my GCU lamer and lamer every day. Does anybody know if someone ordered a game, BB honors the order? Or does it get cancelled?
I believe they honor it. At least they did with Mind Zero which is now oddly a regular online item despite being delisted long before the release date and only recently coming back.

They are making my GCU lamer and lamer every day. Does anybody know if someone ordered a game, BB honors the order? Or does it get cancelled?
I'm actually going to assume they delist it when they sell out since they seem to honor all pre-orders for Japanese games. English retailers don't tend to carry to carry too many games of these types at once...

XxFuRy2Xx, on 17 Jun 2014 - 7:18 PM, said:
Are there any major differences between the Vita version of Akiba's Trip and its PS3 counterpart?
well just looking up the info would tell you, but I will feed your laziness, the vita should have the ar functions which the ps3 doesn't.

why delist the game if they are still going to sell it? Why not just make it unavailable?
This is why I don't think they honor it. Best Buy has TONS of games that are listed unavailable. It wouldn't make sense for it to simply not exist on the website. It would be nice to hear someone who got an order of Atelier Rorona Plus in before they took it offline.

This is why I don't think they honor it. Best Buy has TONS of games that are listed unavailable. It wouldn't make sense for it to simply not exist on the website. It would be nice to hear someone who got an order of Atelier Rorona Plus in before they took it offline.
My order is still pending.

I think Best Buy will fulfill it.

This isn't the first time Best Buy delisted a JRPG game, not sure why there is fear of cancellation.

They delisted Mind Zero, like someone already mentioned. The people who ordered them got it.

I'm thinking about buying this game. Is it any good?
I've been playing this on and off for the past month. It's very repetitive and often times you wont make it through the dungeon unless you can correctly anticipate what you will need in there the on the first run. What's particularly annoying about the game is that you always start at level 1 and then work your way up in experience levels for each dungeon. Grinding for gear is fairly simple IMHO and gameplay is very simplistic if you are familiar with Rogue-like games. Skills are limited in use each time you go into the dungeon and for spells like "identify," you have hardly enough of those for the amount of unidentified objects you encounter. You'll definitely need to manage inventory in this game as you done have enough room in your bag ever to keep everything you want. Animation and storyline is decent. Definitely keep japanese voice acting on (not sure if you can turn it off anyway).

In terms of the game, I think it's fairly straightforward and what I expected from a Rogue-like. I have not played Demon Gaze or any other of its kind yet on the vita, so this being my first, I don't have anything really to compare it to yet. I usually stick to my games once I start them, but this one I just can not keep focused on. I think you could probably spend your money somewhere else but as a digital sales price with PS+, it's pretty good.

Mike on the BB forums did post that they will not be stocking Atelier Rorona Plus.  However he didn't say anything about the preorders that went through before it was delisted.

shivan128, on 18 Jun 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:
I've been playing this on and off for the past month. It's very repetitive and often times you wont make it through the dungeon unless you can correctly anticipate what you will need in there the on the first run. What's particularly annoying about the game is that you always start at level 1 and then work your way up in experience levels for each dungeon. Grinding for gear is fairly simple IMHO and gameplay is very simplistic if you are familiar with Rogue-like games. Skills are limited in use each time you go into the dungeon and for spells like "identify," you have hardly enough of those for the amount of unidentified objects you encounter. You'll definitely need to manage inventory in this game as you done have enough room in your bag ever to keep everything you want. Animation and storyline is decent. Definitely keep japanese voice acting on (not sure if you can turn it off anyway).

In terms of the game, I think it's fairly straightforward and what I expected from a Rogue-like. I have not played Demon Gaze or any other of its kind yet on the vita, so this being my first, I don't have anything really to compare it to yet. I usually stick to my games once I start them, but this one I just can not keep focused on. I think you could probably spend your money somewhere else but as a digital sales price with PS+, it's pretty good.
that price is tempting but I am not a big fan of rogue likes and like you said it seems hard to stay into it, I might try it in the future but I will wait for a physical price drop somewhere, theres a bunch of good games coming out this year, might be better to put that towards their

that price is tempting but I am not a big fan of rogue likes and like you said it seems hard to stay into it, I might try it in the future but I will wait for a physical price drop somewhere, theres a bunch of good games coming out this year, might be better to put that towards their
I think the biggest problem for me is that when you enter a dungeon, all your experience levels reset, giving me the overall impression that nothing was ever accomplished from the previous dungeons I've explored.

The only knowledge you retain are magic spells, curry recipes and weapon/armor you carry into each dungeon. You can also carry things you want from the previous dungeons if you kept them. Grinding for weapons and armor to craft doesnt take long, but you have to make it out of the dungeon alive to keep the stuff in your inventory. I found that I often ran out of items to make curry recipes so it kept my character fairly mortal. The digital instructions do a very poor job at explaining how curry recipes work... it seems almost random on the quality of curry you create. The duration of the effects of the curry seems equally random and so I can not for the life of me expect to use them with any reliability.

If you're not a fan of the genre, you can probably wait for another sale, but it may take a while to hit sub $10.

I'm thinking about buying this game. Is it any good?
It's more like a rogue-lite. It's quite easy, so it's only good as an entry dungeon crawler. I play a lot of rogue-likes, and I've died 1 time in Curry God (due to bad instructions and bad AI, not an actual enemy, but whatever). Compared to games like Persona and Etrian Odyssey, it's extremely forgiving. Except when your buddy eats equipment you dropped, which is a horrible mechanic.

The inventory mechanics are very typical for rogue-like games. The level reset thing is rarer, but it's still not a new concept. At least you keep items (Lufia 2, anyone?). With weapons and shields upgraded to +40~50, the level reset no longer matters that much. I didn't bother with eating curry most of the time. I just fed it to my companion.

If you don't like rogue-likes because they're hard, then give it a try. If you don't like them, period, then just skip it.

How is Innocent Life A Futuristic Harvest Moon. Found one for like $7 and I have never played a HM game before.
Eh. Skip it. Play Rune Factory games instead, which is what it essentially evolved into. Oceans/Tides of Destiny for example.

Eh. Skip it. Play Rune Factory games instead, which is what it essentially evolved into.
Actually, Innocent Life and the first Rune Factory were two separate projects, both made for HM's 10th anniversary and originally released in the same year. Obviously, only one of them was good enough (and sold well enough) to become a series of its own.

I've been curious about Innocent Life for years, but all those bad reviews keep turning me off.

Gamefly Sale lots of used Niche Games:

All PS3

Dragon's Crown 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Dragon39s-Crown/5002987/#axzz350hkmu2i

Hakuouki 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Hakuoki-Stories-of-the-Shinsengumi/5007068/#axzz350hkmu2i

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Kingdom-Hearts-HD-15-Remix/5005511/#axzz350hkmu2i

Ragnarock Odyssey Ace 19.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Ragnarok-Odyssey-Ace/5006981/#axzz350hkmu2i

Tales of Xillia 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Tales-of-Xillia/5005338/#axzz350hkmu2i

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-The-Witch-and-the-Hundred-Knight/5003771/#axzz350hkmu2i

I'm getting Hakuouki....been wanting to play it for a long while and this is my buy price. 

Gamefly Sale lots of used Niche Games:

All PS3

Dragon's Crown 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Dragon39s-Crown/5002987/#axzz350hkmu2i

Hakuouki 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Hakuoki-Stories-of-the-Shinsengumi/5007068/#axzz350hkmu2i

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Kingdom-Hearts-HD-15-Remix/5005511/#axzz350hkmu2i

Ragnarock Odyssey Ace 19.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Ragnarok-Odyssey-Ace/5006981/#axzz350hkmu2i

Tales of Xillia 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Tales-of-Xillia/5005338/#axzz350hkmu2i

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 17.99 - http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-The-Witch-and-the-Hundred-Knight/5003771/#axzz350hkmu2i

I'm getting Hakuouki....been wanting to play it for a long while and this is my buy price.
you know... I just made a post just like that... and then it said there is a new post... and boom you beat me :p

oh well two other games on the list that I don't see on yours would be

puppeteer for $12.99 and dynasty warriors 8 (360) for $14.99

For those who don't buy from gamefly know that the games come with the original cases and instructions (and 99% of the time will have any unused codes such as season passes if they had them) they have a working grantee so if they don't work you can return them, but fair warning your ps3 game will likely have very minor chips around the edge as most gamefly ps3 games get that damage for some reason. They still work fine, they just look a little weird and are a little more fragile then a new game.

Disgaea d2 got a perma price drop to 19.99 new at gamestop, dragons crown vita and shin tensi 4 for 3ds also hit 19.99 today.

I'm waiting on Disgaea D2.....may just wait for the Vita version in a few years. Surprisingly it's the sequel to the only Disgaea game I've actually beat.

"I did need to share recently that we learned that Best Buy no longer plans to stock Atelier Rorona Plus.  Any customers who had placed pre-orders when that was available online should have received an order cancellation email by this time as the product will no longer be available." - from Mike-BBY

So no go for those Rorona preorders at BB.

"I did need to share recently that we learned that Best Buy no longer plans to stock Atelier Rorona Plus. Any customers who had placed pre-orders when that was available online should have received an order cancellation email by this time as the product will no longer be available." - from Mike-BBY

Thanks for this. That really sucks, I was hoping it would be in stock later so I could get it with GCU.

"I did need to share recently that we learned that Best Buy no longer plans to stock Atelier Rorona Plus. Any customers who had placed pre-orders when that was available online should have received an order cancellation email by this time as the product will no longer be available." - from Mike-BBY

....crap, guess I'm not getting the game at launch then.

what is weird is that Best Buy did a credit card authorization check on my card yesterday.

Well, that sucks. Best Buy better not cancel my Akiba's Trip and Danganronpa 2 preorders! :evil:

How is Innocent Life A Futuristic Harvest Moon. Found one for like $7 and I have never played a HM game before.
I went into further detail with 'R. Kasahara' but for a starting point it's not your best bet. I started out with the Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life on the GameCube. Which has what Innocent Life didn't. The dating/marriage aspect of the series.

Actually, Innocent Life and the first Rune Factory were two separate projects, both made for HM's 10th anniversary and originally released in the same year. Obviously, only one of them was good enough (and sold well enough) to become a series of its own.

I've been curious about Innocent Life for years, but all those bad reviews keep turning me off.
Having played Innocent Life I can't exactly suggest it since it didn't feel like Harvest Moon to me (It felt futuristic puns!). I can only go by what I remember and that's not a whole lot but I'll try and explain what I do remember.

First off, the Main Character is a robot/android created by this Professor (I can't remember the reason why). Anyways, he's tasked with saving the land and planting crops up on this Temple area. The game has you find these special gems, I think so you can open up more 'plot' areas to plant more crops. You also have to go back to the Professor for some check ups on certain days. The one thing that I really disliked about the game was that it doesn't include the dating sim/marriage aspect other Harvest Moon titles did. Now I understand that being a robot/android it wouldn't make much sense. Albeit that same Professor could make Android/Robot babies or a Girlfriend. That's all I really remember and I can't really suggest it but for $7 it's probably worth it.

Speaking of Rorona Plus this is straight from the PSN entry:

*Limited time Campaign! For 4 weeks after release, get the new 'Peach Vacation', 'The Orange Swimsuit', 'The Lady's Etiquette' costume set free!

Right now The Lady's Etiquette costume is available from the store:

Atelier Rorona Plus - Costume The Lady's Etiquette

Yes this is the exclusive costumes from Gamestop so have a go at them when they become free.

Also can someone tell me how to post links not showing the full path?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back