Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
blue dragon is another easy game.  the story and characters are garbage but the job/class system is where it shines.  It has the typical system found in stuff like ff and dq heavy grinding and specific ones being significantly better than others.  Combat is like glory of heracles where it takes place on 2 by 5 grids for you and the enemy with a front row and a back row. Magic and attacks however have a charge gauge and depending on how strong the charge determines the turn placement, aoe damage ect.  The main issue is the dragon bosses are all overpowered while everything else isn't a challenge, the story has bad voice work and writing issues and lastly you have to grind on every surface mashing a to collect nothings to get good accessories and alot of areas are one time visits.

Hi, I hope some of you can help me. I'm looking for a suggestion or suggestions to help ease into playing Japanese games.
I have Folklore, Ni no Kuni, Final Fantasy X / X-2, and Valkyria Chronicles.
I've only played Folklore and I unfortunately lost my save data, so I haven't gone back to it in awhile. I Loved the style and atmosphere of the game, yet I don't remember it having a compelling story, besides GHOSTS(?). I've also started, and not finished, some SNES, NES, and GBA games.

Here is a current list of games I plan on getting from highest to lowest priority:
Odin Sphere
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Mana
Little King's Story
Xenogears
FF9
Suikoden
LuNar
Drakengard 3
Siren Blood Curse
Parasite Eve
Nier
Dragon's Crown
Tales of Xillia
Disgaea (3, 4)
Yakuza (3, 4, dead souls)

Consoles: PS3, PSP, WiiU, DS, 360
I was thinking about finishing what I have then moving onto Legend of Mana because it looks so pretty.
Oh, and I'm keeping an eye on the PSN deals thread, so I'll probably buy those PS2 classics.
So, any opinions that you ya'll have, and would be willing to share with me, on these games or others would be nice.
Ni No Kuni is an excellent game, so good choice there. I would recommend:

:360: Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey.

:ps3: Tales of Grace, Tales of Symphonia HD, Persona 3 and 4 (you can download theme from the psn), and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix. :

ds: Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V,VI,IX, The World Ends With You, and Radiant Historia.

I own ni no kuni and valkyria but haven't played either yet. I did however play valkyria chronicles 2 and its alright outside the setting and divided maps.
Gah, how could you play the vastly inferior VC2 and not play the original @_@ (and hey the original doesn't have divided maps nor a crappy setting :p)

Details and 'Muh Opinions' inside.

Yakuza Series: I've enjoyed 3 and 4 immensely. However, I purchased and played Dead Souls but never completed it since it pretty much encloses you in a space aka "Quarantine Zone". Until you end up leaving to go into what's left of the 'Open World' to explore and then you go back and forth between the two to kill Zombies and do whatever. I've only played Yakuza 3, 4 and Dead Souls and they all have what you'd expect from previous titles. There's one good thing I'll say about Dead Souls, and that's how they got the shooting mechanics down. It also lacks a 'Save' feature when you're in the 'Quarentine Zone'. You have to wait until you complete the stage to save. You'll probably enjoy it more than me but I'm going to suggest Yakuza 3 and 4 over Dead Souls.

Suikoden: These games are a great series. I've never played the first two in the series, but I've enjoyed 3, 4, 5 and Tierkreis in the series. From the ones I've played, they all have you collecting 108 stars (Party Members) and filling up your own castle/fort with them. I was also a fan of in 3 and 5 when they allowed to to do an all-out warefare battle against the enemy. Sadly, only Suikoden 1 and 2 are on PSN digitally so you'll have to play them on a PS2 the first two titles should be on PSN. Tiekreis is on the DS.

Little King's Story: I've only ever played a little bit of this on my Wii. Anyways, it was cute and I found it to be fun. It's basically spawning units and having them follow your king to attack the enemy. There's also New Little King's Story which is on the PS Vita. As for your PSP, I can only suggest the "The Legend of Heroes" titles on the system. They are all really great titles and it's been way too long but I've played only a couple in the series and still waiting to play the newest one and for it to be released over here.

I'll also suggest Tales of Symphonia HD, Graces, Xillia, Persona 3 and 4. You might be interested in Persona 3 FES or Portable because it has added content and there's also Persona 4: Golden on the PS Vita if you ever get one. The original version of Persona 4 isn't bad though, so you should be fine. I haven't played Persona 3 Portable but I did purchase FES off of PSN and I like it very much. I also found Xillia, Graces and Blue Dragon to be more than passable even if Tales of Vesperia is a great JRPG. Lost Odyssey is also a great title on the Xbox 360 and you've also got The Last Remnant on that very same system if you're interested. You've already got Nier on your list which is another great title to see. Star Ocean: The Last Hope is on Xbox 360/PS3 if you're interested. ( I fuck hate that urn puzzle)

In ending, I'll also suggest Enchanted Arms and Phantasy Star Universe. Enchanted Arms has a flamboyant transvestite side-character named Makoto. And the main character for some reason, someone thought it would be cool for him to slap his arm right down on the inside of his other arm every time he speaks. Basically, it means something else entirely that I don't think they thought about beforehand. :censored:

Hi, I hope some of you can help me. I'm looking for a suggestion or suggestions to help ease into playing Japanese games.

I have Folklore, Ni no Kuni, Final Fantasy X / X-2, and Valkyria Chronicles.

I've only played Folklore and I unfortunately lost my save data, so I haven't gone back to it in awhile. I Loved the style and atmosphere of the game, yet I don't remember it having a compelling story, besides GHOSTS(?). I've also started, and not finished, some SNES, NES, and GBA games.

Here is a current list of games I plan on getting from highest to lowest priority:
Odin Sphere

Legend of Dragoon

Legend of Mana

Little King's Story

Xenogears

FF9

Suikoden

LuNar

Drakengard 3

Siren Blood Curse

Parasite Eve

Nier

Dragon's Crown

Tales of Xillia

Disgaea (3, 4)

Yakuza (3, 4, dead souls)

Consoles: PS3, PSP, WiiU, DS, 360

I was thinking about finishing what I have then moving onto Legend of Mana because it looks so pretty.

Oh, and I'm keeping an eye on the PSN deals thread, so I'll probably buy those PS2 classics.

So, any opinions that you ya'll have, and would be willing to share with me, on these games or others would be nice.
I second Eternal Sonata. I didn't want to get into something like Suikoden IV or Rogue Galaxy at that time because I wasn't looking for another 30+ hr game at the time. ES fit what I was looking for. But I liked it so much that I wanted more!

On the SRPG side of things, I recommend the ports of FFT or Tactics Ogre on PSP if you've never played them.

Just one warning: The PSP version of FFT was modified with the skills/spells performing at about half of the speed of the original PS1 game. It's very noticeable and very annoying as it causes most of the actions in the game to be animated slowly enough that the gameplay stretches out much longer than it should. If you have a hacked PSP you can play a modified version of the game with the speed fixed, though obviously that's something you'll have to make your own call on.

Just one warning: The PSP version of FFT was modified with the skills/spells performing at about half of the speed of the original PS1 game. It's very noticeable and very annoying as it causes most of the actions in the game to be animated slowly enough that the gameplay stretches out much longer than it should. If you have a hacked PSP you can play a modified version of the game with the speed fixed, though obviously that's something you'll have to make your own call on.
This is true, it's still a great game but I'm surprised it got such high ratings with such horrible lag. I started playing both versions at the same time and it took me twice as long to get through a battle on the PSP version. MY PSP is hacked but I'm apprehensive about messing with the game file, so I just deal with it.

This is true, it's still a great game but I'm surprised it got such high ratings with such horrible lag. I started playing both versions at the same time and it took me twice as long to get through a battle on the PSP version. MY PSP is hacked but I'm apprehensive about messing with the game file, so I just deal with it.
I just learned how to deal with it. It was bad, but I couldn't go back to the original translation.

Recently my brother did get the iPad version. He noticed little to no lag. It's on both iOS and Android if these options are available to you.

Just wanted to let you guys know that Xblaze: Code Embryo (PS3 or Vita) is on sale on PSN for $33.99 and $27.19 for PS+ members.

Interesting that this also got a discount the week it came out. Picked up my copy from Gamestop today. I asked to see if they had a copy of the SMT IV first-print run (as the game's $20 right now), but they didn't.

Deception IV on PS3 & Vita is on sale on PSN now.
PS3 version is $41.99 and $29.39 w/ PS+. Vita version is $27.99 and $19.59 w/ PS+.

If there's no difference in the quality and you have no system preference, it would seem the Vita version is a better choice.

This is a very minor issue. I personally played a ton of it with my hacked PSP with my ISO ripped from my UMD without the fix and never had an issue dealing with it.

What's a BIGGER issue IMHO is the music. TOSE absolutely murdered the music port/emulation.

For a comparison I made this: https://copy.com/HuuoJV6D3PAw

I work with DAWs on a regular basis and have the capability to send the output from the PSP through my DAW and process it to make it sound more like the original PSX soundtrack in real time. It still isn't the real deal though.

Goes> RAW PSP output>Processed PSP Output to try and make it sound like the original>Original output

Shows how flippin horrible the music is in the PSP version. Which is a total load of crap, because the PSP version has all the extra cinematics with great voice acting and music, and a superior translation and extra characters like Luso and Balthier!

can someone tell me a good EU import site to order from? since TK announced an English physical version of ar no surge, I would like to have an option in case this stays in EU and doesn't come state side.

I have both. PSVita is the better version unless you strongly prefer consoles.
Because it's cheaper or is something wrong with the PS3 version? Just wondering, PS3 version doesn't seem like much of an upgrade at all for the price difference. From what I've seen they both don't look much better than a PS2 game(which wouldn't stop me from playing it, I'm still on the fence about the gameplay)

can someone tell me a good EU import site to order from? since TK announced an English physical version of ar no surge, I would like to have an option in case this stays in EU and doesn't come state side.
I often just order stuff from one of the European Amazon sites, such as Amazon.co.uk. I got my Xenoblade Collector's Edition through Amazon.de

Because it's cheaper or is something wrong with the PS3 version? Just wondering, PS3 version doesn't seem like much of an upgrade at all for the price difference. From what I've seen they both don't look much better than a PS2 game(which wouldn't stop me from playing it, I'm still on the fence about the gameplay)
The PS3 version is just a port of the Vita version, so there isn't much benefit unless you prefer playing on a console. Akiba's Trip is the same.

Ar noSurge: Ode to an Unborn Star will be localized in English for Europe as a Digital and Retail Release. No word of a US Release if it pans out. However, we can always import it. :D No word on the Vita Edition though.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/25/ar-nosurge-will-localized-english-right-now-just-europe/

image_thumb81.png

Ar noSurge: Ode to an Unborn Star will be localized in English for Europe as a Digital and Retail Release. No word of a US Release if it pans out. However, we can always import it. :D No word on the Vita Edition though.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/25/ar-nosurge-will-localized-english-right-now-just-europe/
:D/ Awesome! If we don't get it in the US, I will be definitely importing this. Lol wish it were any month than September tho. There is already so much I want that month.

Thanks for the info on the different versions of Deception, I didn't know the ps3 version was just a port. Is the game good though? I didn't play the earlier game in the series.

image_thumb81.png
I've never imported a game before but this one looks like it could very well be my first. What would be the best sites to look into for importing this game stateside?

I guess if we see a release stateside for Ar noSurge it'd be from Koei in digital form, like the Atelier vita games.

Really a bummer, would've amazing to have Ciel and Ar Limited Editions from NISA, although... their localization of the Ar Tonelico games were pretty (really) shitty.

Deception's graphics on the Vita look pretty bad, is the PS3 version not any better? I'm not sure I'd pick it up even at this sale price but I'd like to know for the future.

Looks like Tecmo Koei tweeted that Ar no Surge will be coming to US too.  They didn't mention anything about physical/digital release or date though.

https://twitter.com/TecmoKoeiUS/status/481942805766344704

"We will be releasing Ar no Surge in the US too. Just as a Digital Release. Like with Gundam Reborn while Europe gets a Retail Edition"

:lol:

has anyone here played Xblave? I'm thinking of getting it at $27 before it goes up to $40. Wish I had done that with mind 0
I'm a good 4-5 hours in the game and it's pretty solid. Story can be out there sometime, but given the source material, it's understandable. Are you a fan of visual novels? If so, get on it before the deals up. Otherwise if you aren't I'd pass on it.

I'm a good 4-5 hours in the game and it's pretty solid. Story can be out there sometime, but given the source material, it's understandable. Are you a fan of visual novels? If so, get on it before the deals up. Otherwise if you aren't I'd pass on it.
Demos are available on PSN. If you enjoy the insanity of the BlazBlue storyline, you'll probably like this.

But yeah you probably have to like visual novels too to fully appreciate it. This one is easier to like with the way everything is almost like it's fully voiced animation instead of using static character art while the dialogue is spoken.

Anyone get Sword Art Online: Hollowed Fragment? Have they released any information about it for the West yet, such as duel audio? I know that it will be digital only but that is really all I know so far. Is the game any good or is it just another action RPG?

"We will be releasing Ar no Surge in the US too. Just as a Digital Release. Like with Gundam Reborn while Europe gets a Retail Edition"

:lol:
So I guess the real question is "Who here won't buy the digital copy of Ar noSurge and will just go with a physical copy from Europe?" :roll:

So I guess the real question is "Who here won't buy the digital copy of Ar noSurge and will just go with a physical copy from Europe?" :roll:
me...

I'll probably import it.

I wonder how many dlcs this game is going to have.

Having only 1 psn account on the vita is a little annoying.

If it's digital only here, I will import it.

Anyone get Sword Art Online: Hollowed Fragment? Have they released any information about it for the West yet, such as duel audio? I know that it will be digital only but that is really all I know so far. Is the game any good or is it just another action RPG?
I picked up a physical copy from PlayAsia and it arrived yesterday. I'll give it a few hours tonight and let you know my impressions if no one else has already put in some comments.

It will be sub only.

Importing is an after thought for me, already going to happen! The other thing I'm excited about is the EU voice acting, since one of my favorite JRPG's was DQVIII on PS2. :bouncy:

I buy a majority of my vita games digitally. Only reason I have some carts is because they were way cheaper or so I could use them with my vita tv.

I really hope ArNoSurge returns the Ar Tonelico games to a former glory. I liked 2 a whole lot and when I played Qqoga...I just disliked it a lot. I gave it quite a few hours (30-40 hours I'm guessing) before dropping it. I hated the item creation system, disliked the diving, the battle system was annoying with the shedding clothes....ugg it was overhyped and expensive when I got it too. I like those games esp the diving and song systems and it seemed the PS3 offering was just too far from that. Also didn't help I didn't enjoy the characters. I may go back someday but I'm not looking forward to that.

I really hope ArNoSurge returns the Ar Tonelico games to a former glory. I liked 2 a whole lot and when I played Qqoga...I just disliked it a lot. I gave it quite a few hours (30-40 hours I'm guessing) before dropping it. I hated the item creation system, disliked the diving, the battle system was annoying with the shedding clothes....ugg it was overhyped and expensive when I got it too. I like those games esp the diving and song systems and it seemed the PS3 offering was just too far from that. Also didn't help I didn't enjoy the characters. I may go back someday but I'm not looking forward to that.
Qoga has some extremely good moments in the storyline, but overall I would agree it is the weakest of the series. The battle system was a big disappointment. I didn't like how it went for the extremely perverted so quickly, at least the previous games gave you a chance to get to know the girls first. I'm almost done with my playthrough of it. I'm about 30 hours in, got one of the endings in Phase 3. Now I need to load my save file, choose the other plot option, and go to Phase 4 and get some of the other endings.

I put 120 hours into this game and got all the platinum. I agree the battle system was weak..... but overal I enjoyed it enough to play it in bits and pieces, literally since it came out until last week I worked on it.. Now to go back and play the first two i finally purchased...

I hope we get some sort of release of ar no surge... physical would be the best..

Qoga has some extremely good moments in the storyline, but overall I would agree it is the weakest of the series. The battle system was a big disappointment. I didn't like how it went for the extremely perverted so quickly, at least the previous games gave you a chance to get to know the girls first. I'm almost done with my playthrough of it. I'm about 30 hours in, got one of the endings in Phase 3. Now I need to load my save file, choose the other plot option, and go to Phase 4 and get some of the other endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back